ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

你甚至不知道自己精通这门语言! – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

你甚至不知道自己精通这门语言!

You are fluent in this language (and don't even know it) | Christoph Niemann

我是一名画家
I’m an artist.
当画家是最棒的工作
Being an artistis the greatest job there is.
我真的有点同情在坐的各位
And I really pityeach and every one of you
你们需要花时间探索宇宙
who has to spend your daysdiscovering new galaxies
或从全球变暖中解救人类
or saving humanity from global warming.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
但其实画家也是份令人气馁的工作
But being an artistis also a daunting job.
我每天早九晚六 都在做这个
I spend every day,from nine to six, doing this.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
我甚至开始一份副业
I even started a side careerthat consists entirely
而这份副业都在抱怨创造过程的难处
of complaining about the difficultyof the creative process.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
但 今天 我不想吐槽
But today, I don’t want to talk
我生活的困境
about what makes my life difficult.
我想谈那些让我的人生变得简单的事
I want to talk about what makes it easy.
而那就是你
And that is you and the fact
以及你可能从未发觉的
that you are fluent in a language
自己某种语言能力其实很流利的事实
that you’re probably not even aware of.
你其实很会解读图像语言
You’re fluent in the languageof reading images.
解码这样的图像 需要运用一些智力
Deciphering an image like that takes quite a bit of an intellectual effort.
但没人曾告诉你个中原理
But nobody ever taught you how this works,
你就是知道
you just know it.
大学 逛街 音乐
College,shopping, music.
让语言强大的关键是
What makes a language powerful is
你能将一个很复杂的想法
that you can take a very complex idea
以很简单又有效的形式表达
and communicate itin a very simple, efficient form.
这些图像与文字代表完全相同的意思
These images representexactly the same ideas.
举例来说 但当你看着学士帽时
But when you look, for example,at the college hat,
你知道它并非代表那个
you know that this doesn’t
你在接过文凭时
represent the accessory you wear on your head
头上戴的装饰品
when you’re being handed your diploma,
而是大学的完整含义
but rather the whole idea of college. Now,
图画不但能传递图像
what drawings can dois they cannot only communicate images,
也能激发情感
they can even evoke emotions.
假设你去到不熟悉的地方看到这个
Let’s say you get to an unfamiliar place and you see this.
你就觉得开心 松了口气
You feel happiness and relief.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
也许感到有些焦虑 或者极度恐慌
Or a slight sense of uneaseor maybe downright panic.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
或幸福安详
Or blissful peace and quiet.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
但视觉当然不只是图示
But visuals, they’re of coursemore than just graphic icons.
众所周知
You know,
如果我今天要讲关于现代斗争的故事
if I want to tell the story of modern-day struggle,
我会从飞机邻座之间的扶手
I would start with the armrestbetween two airplane seats
与两组手肘之间的打斗开始
and two sets of elbows fighting.
这个例子迷人的是 这个普遍规律
What I love there is this universal law that,
你有30秒的时间争夺
you know, you have30 seconds to fight it out
一旦抢到了
and once it’s yours,
这个扶手的使用权整个航程都属于你
you get to keep it for the rest of the flight.
(笑声)现在
(Laughter) Now,
商务舱里满是这类景象
commercial flightis full of these images.
如果我要描述“不舒服”的概念
If I want to illustratethe idea of discomfort,
没有什么比得上这些颈枕
nothing better than these neck pillows.
它们是设计来让你感到更舒适的
They’re designedto make you more comfortable —
(笑声)
(Laughter)
可是它们没有
except they don’t.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
所以我在飞机上从不睡觉
So I never sleep on airplanes.
我偶尔会陷入一种类似痛苦的昏迷状态
What I do occasionally is I fall into a sort of painful coma.
然后当我醒来时
And when I wake up from that,
满嘴都是可怕的味道
I have the most terribletaste in my mouth.
那股味道糟透了
It’s a taste that’s so bad,
我无法以言语形容
it can not be described with words,
但可以画出来
but it can be drawn.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
其实 我爱睡觉
The thing is, you know, I love sleeping.
睡觉时 我真的比较喜欢侧身睡
And when I sleep, I really prefer to do it while spooning.
二十年来以这个
I’ve been spooning
侧身姿势入睡 我可是专家级的
on almost a pro level for close to 20 years,
但过了这么多年 我还是不知道
but in all this time,I’ve never figured out
压在下面的手要怎么办
what to do with that bottom arm.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
(掌声)
(Applause)
而唯一一件事
And the only thing —
唯一让睡觉变得比在飞机上更复杂的事
the only thing that makes sleepingeven more complicated
就是当你有小孩的时候
than trying to do it on an airplane is when you have small children.
他们会在凌晨四点钟左右出现在你的床边
They show up at your bed at around 4am
告诉你一些假的借口“我做噩梦了”
with some bogus excuse of,”I had a bad dream.”
(笑声)
(Laughter)
然后 你当然怜悯他们
And then, of course you feel sorry for them,
他们是你的小孩
they’re your kids,
所以你让他们过来跟你一起睡
so you let them into your bed.
我得承认 一开始
And I have to admit, at the beginning,
他们真的很可爱 很温暖也很舒服
they’re really cute and warm and snugly.
就在你要再度入睡的那一刻 他们不知为何开始——
The minute you fall back asleep,they inexplicably —
(笑声)
(Laughter)
开始转动
start rotating.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
我们称此为直升机模式
We like to call this the helicopter mode.
(笑声)现在
(Laughter) Now,
更深层的东西已经嵌入你的意识中
the deeper something is etchedinto your consciousness,
较少的信息就足够引起情绪反应
the fewer details we needto have an emotional reaction.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
为什么像这样的图像可以达到效果?
So why does an image like this work?
它能被看懂
It works, because we as readers
因为身为读者的我们 非常擅长填空
are incredibly goodat filling in the blanks. Now,
当你画画时 有个叫作“负空间”的概念
when you draw,there’s this concept of negative space.
这概念是说 我们不画物体本身
And the idea is, that insteadof drawing the actual object,
而是画它周围的空间
you draw the space around it.
所以这幅画中的碗是空的
So the bowls in this drawing are empty.
但黑墨水使你的大脑将食物投射至空白的区块
But the black ink prompts your brain to project food into a void.
我们在这幅图中看到的不是一只猫头鹰在飞
What we see here is not a owl flying.
它其实是两节AA电池
What we actually seeis a pair of AA batteries
竖在一幅荒谬的画上
standing on a nonsensical drawing,
然后我借着上下移动桌灯让画面动起来
and I animate the scene by moving my desk lamp up and down.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
这幅图真的只存在于你的脑中
The image really only exists in your mind. So,
那究竟要多少信息 才能激发这种图?
how much information do we need to trigger such an image?
身为画家 我的目标是用的越少越好
My goal as an artist is to use the smallest amount possible.
我试着达到简洁的境界
I try to achieve a level of simplicity where,
简洁到若你再抽掉一个元素
if you were to take awayone more element,
整个概念就会崩塌
the whole concept would just collapse.
这也是身为画家 我最喜欢的工具是抽象概念的原因
And that’s why my personal favorite tool as an artist is abstraction.
我发明了一个系统 我叫它抽象量计
I’ve come up with this systemwhich I call the abstract-o-meter,
它是这样使用的
and this is how it works.
取任何一个符号
So you take a symbol, any symbol,
例如一个爱心与箭
for example the heart and the arrow,
大多数人会将它们解读为爱的象征
which most of us would readas the symbol for love,
而我是个画家
and I’m an artist,
所以我可以决定用多少写实或抽象元素来画它
so I can draw this in any given degree of realism or abstraction. Now,
如果我太写实
if I go too realistic on it,
就会惹人嫌
it just grosses everybody out.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
如果我
If I go too far
画得太抽象
on the other side and do very abstract,
没有人知道这是什么
nobody has any ideawhat they’re looking at.
所以我必须在量尺中找到最完美的位置
So I have to findthe perfect place on that scale,
以这个例子来说 大概是在中间的位置
in this case it’s somewhere in the middle. Now,
当我们将一个图像
once we have reduced
简化到更简洁的形式
an image to a more simple form,
各种新联系开始变得可行
all sorts of new connectionsbecome possible.
也可以用新的观点说故事
And that allows for totallynew angles in storytelling.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
所以 我想做的是
And so, what I like to do is,
我希望能结合遥远文化地区的图像
I like to take images from really remote cultural areas and bring them together. Now,
运用更多大胆的引申——
with more daring references —
(笑声)
(Laughter)
我能创造更多乐趣
I can have more fun.
但当然 我知道事情到最后变的很难懂
But of course, I know that eventuallythings become so obscure
你们有些人会失去兴趣
that I start losing some of you.
所以作为设计师
So as a designer,
充分了解观众的视觉
it’s absolutely key to have a good understanding
与文化词量是很关键的
of the visual and culturalvocabulary of your audience.
这个图像 一篇关于雅典奥运的评论
With this image here,a comment on the Olympics in Athens,
我假设《纽约客》的读者
I assumed that the readerof the”New Yorker”
多少对希腊艺术有些初步的了解
would have some rudimentaryidea of Greek art.
如果你不了解希腊艺术 这个图像就不会达到它的效果
If you don’t, the image doesn’t work.
但如果你了解 你甚至会欣赏它的小细节
But if you do, you mighteven appreciate the small detail,
例如这个花瓶底部的啤酒般的图腾
like the beer-can pattern hereon the bottom of the vase.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
我跟杂志编辑反复讨论着一件事
A recurring discussion I havewith magazine editors,
而杂志编辑们通常都是很在意词汇的人 我们讨论的是观众们
who are usually word people, is that their audience, you,
你们比起图像原意
are much better at makingradical leaps with images
更会跳跃式解读图像意义
than they’re being given credit for.
而唯一让我觉得挫败的是
And the only thing I find frustrating is
它们似乎总把我推向
that they often seem to push me
一系列老套被认为保险的
towards a small setof really tired visual clichés
视觉效果
that are considered safe.
就像商人正在爬梯子
You know, it’s the businessmanclimbing up a ladder,
然后梯子动了 变成股市趋势图
and then the ladder moves,morphs into a stock market graph,
任何有钱币符号的东西 总是很好
and anything with dollar signs;that’s always good.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
如果今天的观众里有编辑决策者
If there are editorial decision makershere in the audience,
我想给你一个建议
I want to give you a piece of advice.
每当这种图被出版一次
Every time a drawinglike this is published,
就会死一只熊猫宝宝
a baby panda will die.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
真的
Literally.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
(掌声)
(Applause)
那老套的视觉效果什么时候好什么时候不好?
When is a visual cliché good or bad?
两者差别很微妙
It’s a fine line.
取决于你的故事内容
And it really depends on the story.
2011年 日本发生地震与海啸时
In 2011, during the earthquakeand the tsunami in Japan,
我正在策划一个封面
I was thinking of a cover.
我把典型符号都想过了一遍:
And I went through the classic symbols:
日本国旗
the Japanese flag,
葛饰北齐的“神奈川冲浪里”史上最厉害的画作之一
“The Great Wave” by Hokusai,one of the greatest drawings ever.
然后在福岛核电站失控之后
And then the story changed
故事就改变了
when the situation at the power plant in Fukushima got out of hand.
我记得电厂里
And I remember these TV images
充满穿着防护衣工人们的图像
of the workers in hazmat suits,
在现场穿梭
just walking through the site,
而让我感到震撼的是 那画面如此平静
and what struck me was how quiet and serene it was.
因此我就想创造一幅表达平静灾难的图像
And so I wanted to create an image of a silent catastrophe.
这就是我当时的作品
And that’s the image I came up with.
(掌声)
(Applause)
谢谢
Thank you.
(掌声)
(Applause)
我想为读者创造一个
What I want to do is create an aha moment,
“啊哈”的时刻
for you, for the reader.
而不幸的是 这并不代表
And unfortunately, that does not mean
我在创造这些图像的时候也有“啊哈”的时刻
that I have an aha moment when I create these images.
我坐在书桌前时
I never sit at my desk
脑中的那颗灯泡从不熄灭
with the proverbial light bulb going off in my head.
设计过程其实非常缓慢
What it takes is actually a very slow,
且是一点都不性感地在做一些微小的设计决策
unsexy process of minimal design decisions
如果幸运 这些决策将会引出好的创意
that then, when I’m lucky,lead to a good idea.
有一天 我在火车上
So one day, I’m on a train,
试着解读
and I’m trying to decode
窗户上雨滴的图像规则
the graphic rules for drops on a window.
然后我终于了解到“噢
And eventually I realize, “Oh,
原来它是包含在清晰图像里的
it’s the backgroundblurry upside-down,
模糊颠倒的背景”
contained in a sharp image.”
然后我想 哇 这真是很酷
And I thought, wow, that’s really cool,
而对于如何处理它我完全没有想法
and I have absolutely no idea what to do with that.
不久之后 我回到纽约
A while later, I’m back in New York,
我画了这个在
and I draw this image of being stuck
布鲁克林大桥上塞车的图
on the Brooklyn bridge in a traffic jam.
塞车很烦人 也有点诗意
It’s really annoying,but also kind of poetic.
直到后来我才想到
And only later I realized,
我可以同时采用两种概念 然后将它们结合呈现
I can take both of these ideas and put them together in this idea.
而我想做的不是呈现实景 而是
And what I want to do is not show a realistic scene. But,
有点诗意的
maybe like poetry,
让你意识到 其实这个图像已经存在你脑中
make you aware that youalready had this image with you,
而我现在将它挖掘出来
but only now I’ve unearthed it
让你了解到它其实一直都跟着你
and made you realize that you were carrying it with you all along.
但就像诗 这是个很细致的过程
But like poetry,this is a very delicate process
我觉得这个过程无法有效率也无法量化
that is neither efficientnor scalable, I think.
或许对艺术家来说最重要的技巧
And maybe the mostimportant skill for an artist
其实是同理心
is really empathy.
你需要技术 你也需要——
You need craft and you need —
(笑声)
(Laughter)
你需要创造力——
you need creativity —
(笑声)
(Laughter)
谢谢大家——来创造出这样的图像
thank you — to come up with an image like that.
然后 你需要往后退一步
But then you need to step back
以读者的视角看你创造出来的东西
and look at what you’ve done from the perspective of the reader.
通过成为更好的图像观察者
I’ve tried to become a better artist
我试着成为一个——更好的画家
by becoming a better observer of images.
为了这个目的 我开始了自己的练习
And for that, I startedan exercise for myself
我将这称作“星期天速写”
which I call Sunday sketching,
意思是 在星期天
which meant, on a Sunday,
我会取房子周边的一个随机物品
I would take a random object I found around the house
然后试着想想看该物品是否能激发点子
and try to see if that objectcould trigger an idea
激发跟这个物品的原始用途不同的点子
that had nothing to do with the original purpose of that item.
这通常意味着 我会有很长一段时间脑中空白
And it usually just meansI’m blank for a long while.
唯一能让这件事成功的秘诀
And the only trick that eventually works is
是当我不持任何偏见地
if I open my mind
扫过每一个我存放在脑中的图像
and run through every imageI have stored up there,
看看是否有东西会让我突然开窍
and see if something clicks.
如果有
And if it does,
就只要加上几条线连接——
just add a few lines of ink to connect —
来保存这短暂的予人灵感的时刻
to preserve this very shortmoment of inspiration.
而这经验中最宝贵的一课是
And the great lesson there
魔法不是发生在纸上
was that the real magicdoesn’t happen on paper.
而是在观看者的脑中
It happens in the mind of the viewer.
当你的期待与知识和我的艺术撞击时
When your expectations and your knowledgeclash with my artistic intentions.
你和图像的互动
Your interaction with an image,
你能阅读 质疑或觉得图像很恼人 无聊或发人深省
your ability to read, question,be bothered or bored or inspired
这些都和我的艺术贡献一样重要
by an image is as importantas my artistic contribution.
因为那就是将艺术表现真正转化成
Because that’s what turnsan artistic statement really,
创意对话的关键
into a creative dialogue.
所以 你阅读图像的技巧
And so, your skill at reading images
不仅是非常好 更是让我的艺术变得有可能性的关键
is not only amazing, it is what makes my art possible.
鉴于此 我非常感谢大家
And for that, I thank you very much.
(掌声)
(Applause)
(欢呼声)
(Cheers)
谢谢
Thank you.
(掌声)
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

有一门无师自通的语言,来学学

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

甪里

审核员

审核员 V

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9zjn9BBvA

相关推荐