ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

为什么你难以成就伟业? – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

为什么你难以成就伟业?

Why you will fail to have a great career - Larry Smith

鼠标移动到下方点击订阅
TEDEd Flip This Lesson
我在注视你
Use TEDEd to create a lesson around any video on YouTube.
把课上完再走
Visit ed.ted.com to… Flip This Lesson
今天下午我想和你们讨论一下
I want to discuss with you this afternoon
你为什么不会成就伟大事业
why you’re going to fail to have a great career.
我是一个经济学家
I’m an economist.
[笑声]
[Laughters]
我让人烦闷
I do dismal.
这一天马上过完了 准备要谈一些凄凉的话了
End of the day, it’s ready for dismal remarks.
我只想和你们想要成就伟大事业的人谈
I only want to talk to those of you who want a great career.
我知道你们某些人早就规划好了
I know some of you have already
你们想有一个好事业
decided you want a good career.
额……你们同样会失败
Uh…You’re going to fail, too.
因为——天哪 你们对失败都这么兴奋
Because — goodness, you’re all cheery about failing.
毫无疑问的,就像加拿大人
Canadian group, undoubtedly.
那些试图拥有好职业的人将会失败
Those trying to have good careers are going to fail,
因为 真的 好工作现在正在消失
because, really, good jobs are now disappearing.
确实有伟大工作和伟大事业
There are great jobs and great careers,
也有高工作负荷的
and then there are the high-workload,
高压的 消磨生命的 甚至摧毁灵魂的工作
high-stress, bloodsucking, soul-destroying kinds of jobs,
而且实际上根本没有介于这两者之间的工作
and practically nothing in-between.
所以那些想找好工作的人将要失败喽
So people looking for good jobs are going to fail.
我想谈一谈那些
I want to talk about those looking for
想要找到伟大工作 伟大事业的人
great jobs, great careers,
并且说一说为什么你会失败
and why you’re going to fail.
第一个原因就是 不管人们告诉你多少次
First reason is that no matter how many times people tell you,
“如果你想成就伟业 你一定要去追寻你所热爱的
“If you want a great career, you have to pursue your passion,
你要去追求你的梦想 你要去追求
you have to pursue your dreams, you have to pursue
你的人生中最让你迷恋的东西”
the greatest fascination in your life,”
你一遍又一遍地听这种说教 然后你决定不这样做了
you hear it again and again, and then you decide not to do it.
无论你下载多少次
It doesn’t matter how many times you download
史蒂夫·乔布斯的斯坦福大学毕业典礼演讲都没什么意义
Steven J.’s Stanford commencement address,
你依然只是看着它然后决定不做任何事
you still look at it and decide not to do it.
我不是很确定为什么你决定不去做
I’m not quite sure why you decide not to do it.
也许是你太懒了而不去做 或者太难了
You’re too lazy to do it. It’s too hard.
你害怕如果你去寻找你所热爱的事物 却没有找到
You’re afraid if you look for your passion and don’t find it,
你会感觉自己像个傻子 于是你会
you’ll feel like you’re an idiot, so then you make excuses
为自己放弃追寻所爱之物编造借口
about why you’re not going to look for your passion.
它们都是借口 女士们和先生们
They are excuses, ladies and gentlemen.
我们来列一张完整的长清单
We’re going to go through a whole long list —
你为不去做该做的事而编造借口的创造力
your creativity in thinking of excuses not to do what you really need to do
如果你想成就伟业
if you want to have a great career.
那么 举个例子 你的一个好借口可以是:
So, for example, one of your great excuses is:
“嗯……对于大多数人来说 伟大的事业事实上
“Well, great careers are really and truly, for most people,
仅仅是一件凭运气的事
just a matter of luck.
那么我就坐着不做事 我努力去变得幸运
So I’m going to stand around, I’m going to try to be lucky,
如果我走运的话 我就会成就一番伟业
and if I’m lucky, I’ll have a great career.
如果不走运 我就会有一个还不错的事业”
If not, I’ll have a good career.”
但是不可能会有还不错的事业 所以这个行不通
But a good career is an impossibility, so that’s not going to work.
其次 你的另一个借口是
Then, your other excuse is,
“是的 确实有一些特别的人追求自己所热爱的
“Yes, there are special people who pursue their passions,
但那些人都是天才
but they are geniuses.
他们是史蒂夫·乔布斯那样的人物
They are Steven J.
而我不是个天才
I’m not a genius.
当我5岁的时候 我认为我是个天才
When I was five, I thought I was a genius,
但是我的老师们早就把这个观念从我脑袋里剔除出去了
but my professors have beaten that idea out of my head long since.”
现在我知道我完全有能力胜任”
“And now I know I am completely competent.”
你们懂的 如果现在是1950年
Now, you see, if this was 1950,
一个有能力的人
being completely competent —
会被给予一份极好的职业
that would have given you a great career.
但是猜猜怎么样?
But guess what?
现在是2012年 你对世界说
This is almost 2012, and saying to the world,
“我完全有能力胜任”
“I am totally, completely competent,”
你在用最微弱的赞扬糟蹋自己
is damning yourself with the faintest of praise.
当然 还有一个借口
And then, of course, another excuse:
“嗯 我会做这个 我会做这个 但是——
“Well, I would do this, I would do this, but, but —
嗯……毕竟我不是怪胎
well, after all, I’m not weird.
所有人都知道那些追求他们所热爱事业的人
Everybody knows that people who pursue their passions
都有点强迫症
are somewhat obsessive.
有点奇怪
A little strange.
你懂的 一条处在疯子和天才之间的合适界限
You know, a fine line between madness and genius.
我才不是怪胎 我已经读了史蒂夫乔布斯的传记
“I’m not weird. I’ve read Steven J.’s biography.
哦我的天呐——我可不是那种人 我很好
Oh my goodness — I’m not that person. I am nice.
我是正常的
I am normal.
我是一个好的正常人 而好的正常人
I’m a nice, normal person, and nice, normal people —
是没有激情的
don’t have passion.”
额 但我仍然想要一份极好的职业
“Ah, but I still want a great career.
我没有准备好去追求我所热爱的事业
I’m not prepared to pursue my passion,
因此我知道我要做什么了
so I know what I’m going to do,
因为我有解决方案
because I have a solution.
我有策略
I have a strategy.
这是妈妈爸爸告诉我的
It’s the one Mommy and Daddy told me about.
妈妈爸爸告诉我 如果我努力工作
Mommy and Daddy told me that if I worked hard,
我就会有一份还算不错的职业
I’d have a good career.
因此 如果你努力工作并且有一份还不错的职业
So, if you work hard and have a good career,
如果你工作十分十分努力
if you work really, really, really hard,
你就会成就一番伟大的事业
you’ll have a great career.
难道这在理论上讲不通吗?”
Doesn’t that, like, mathematically make sense?”
嗯 是的
Hmm. Not.
但你已经成功地说服自己相信它了
But you’ve managed to talk yourself into that.
你知道吗? 有个小秘密
You know what? Here’s a little secret:
你真的想去工作?你真的想非常非常努力地工作?
You want to work? You want to work really, really, really hard?
你知道吗?你将会成功
You know what? You’ll succeed.
世界将会给你机会
The world will give you the opportunity
让你非常非常非常非常努力工作
to work really, really, really, really hard.
但是 你真的这么确定
But, are you so sure
这会给你带来一番伟业
that that’s going to give you a great career,
尽管所有的证据都表明努力工作并不一定能有所成就?
when all the evidence is to the contrary?
让我们来讨论一下你们之中 那些努力去寻找自己所热爱的事业的人
So let’s deal with those of you who are trying to find your passion.
实际上你十分清楚你最好去找
You actually understand that you really had better do it,
根本无需在意那些借口
never mind the excuses.
你努力去寻找你所热爱的职业
You’re trying to find your passion —
并且你十分快乐
and you’re so happy.
你发现了你感兴趣的事
You found something you’re interested in.
“我有兴趣了!我有兴趣了!” 你跟我说
“I have an interest! I have an interest!” You tell me
你说:“我有爱好了!” 我说:“那真棒!
You say, “I have an interest!” I say, “That’s wonderful!
那么你到底想告诉我什么?”
And what are you trying to tell me?”
“嗯……我有兴趣了”
“Well, I have an interest.”
我说:“你有激情吗?”
I say, “Do you have passion?”
你说:“我有兴趣了”
“I have an interest,” you say.
“你的爱好是和什么相比较而言的?”
“Your interest is compared to what?”
“嗯……我对这个感兴趣”
“Well, I’m interested in this.”
“那除此之外的其他的人类活动呢?”
“And what about the rest of humanity’s activities?”
“我对它们不感兴趣”
“I’m not interested in them.”
“你已经把它们都审视过一遍了 有吗?”
“You’ve looked at them all, have you?”
“不 并没有”
“No. Not exactly.”
激情是你最伟大的爱
Passion is your greatest love.
激情是一种
Passion is the thing
有利于帮你将天分发挥到极致的东西
that will help you create the highest expression of your talent.
激情和兴趣不是同一样东西
Passion, interest — it’s not the same thing.
你真的会跑到你的爱人跟前对她说
Are you really going to go to your sweetie and say,
“嫁给我!你很有趣” 吗?
“Marry me! You’re interesting.”
不可能!
Won’t happen!
没门儿!等着孤独终老吧
Won’t happen, and you will die alone.
你想要的
What you want,
你想要的 你想要的
what you want, what you want,
是激情
is passion.
它超越兴趣
It is beyond interest.
你需要20个兴趣 然后其中一个
You need 20 interests, and then one of them,
其中一个也许深深地吸引你
one of them might grab you,
其中一个也许比其他任何兴趣都更吸引你
one of them might engage you more than anything else,
然后 你也许就找到了你的最爱
and then you may have found your greatest love,
与其它所有让你产生兴趣的事相比
in comparison to all the other things that interest you,
那就是真正的激情
and that’s what passion is.
我有一个朋友 向他的爱人求婚
I have a friend, proposed to his sweetie.
他是个在经济上十分理性的人
He was an economically rational person.
他对他的女友说:“我们结婚吧
He said to his sweetie, “Let us marry.
让我们合并我们的利益”
Let us merge our interests.”
是的 他是这样说的
Yes, he did.
“我真的很爱你”他说“我深深地爱着你
“I love you truly,” he said. “I love you deeply.
在我遇到的所有女人中 我最爱的就是你
I love you more than any other woman I’ve ever encountered.
我爱你胜过爱Mary Jane Susie Penelope
I love you more than Mary, Jane, Susie, Penelope,
Ingrid Gertrude Gretel
Ingrid, Gertrude, Gretel —
我当时参加了一个德国交流项目
I was on a German exchange program then.
我爱你胜过……”
I love you more than –“
好了
All right.
她在他列举他对她的爱的中途离开了房间
She left the room halfway through his enumeration of his love for her.
当他从被拒绝的惊讶中恢复过来后
After he got over his surprise at being, you know, turned down,
他得出结论:他侥幸逃脱了
he concluded he’d had a narrow escape
差点就娶了一个不理性的人
from marrying an irrational person.
尽管他让自己记住下次求婚时
Although, he did make a note to himself that the next time he proposed,
可能没必要例举
it was perhaps not necessary
所有过往的女人
to enumerate all of the women he had auditioned for the part.
但是这个观点依然成立
But the point stands.
你必须寻找一些替代选项才能找到你的命中注定
You must look for alternatives so that you find your destiny,
或者你害怕“命运”这个词吗?
or are you afraid of the word “destiny”?
“命运”这个词吓到你了吗?
Does the word “destiny” scare you?
那就是我们正在讨论的
That’s what we’re talking about.
如果你没有找到表现你天赋的最佳方式
And if you don’t find the highest expression of your talent,
如果你满足于“有趣” 那他妈的究竟意味着什么
if you settle for “interesting,” what the hell ever that means,
你知道在你漫长的一生将要结束时会发生什么吗?
do you know what will happen at the end of your long life?
你的朋友和家人会在你的葬礼上聚集
Your friends and family will be gathered in the cemetery,
在你的墓地旁会有一座墓碑
and there beside your gravesite will be a tombstone,
墓碑上刻着
and inscribed on that tombstone
上面会说: “这里躺着一位著名的工程师
it will say, “Here lies a distinguished engineer,
他发明了尼龙搭扣”
who invented Velcro.”
但是在另外一种人生
But what that tombstone should have said,
这座墓碑应该写什么
in an alternative lifetime,
如果你充分发挥了你的天分它上面会写什么
what it should have said if it was your highest expression of talent,
会写:“这儿躺着最后一位诺贝尔物理学奖得主
was, “Here lies the last Nobel Laureate in Physics,
他研究出了大统一场论
who formulated the Grand Unified Field Theory
论证了曲速引擎的可行性”
and demonstrated the practicality of warp drive.”
尼龙搭扣 真的!
Velcro, indeed!
一个是一份极好的职业
One was a great career.
一个是错过的机遇
One was a missed opportunity.
但那时 你们中有些人
But then, there are some of you who,
不去考虑所有这些借口 你们会发现
in spite of all these excuses, you will find,
你们会找到你们的激情所在
you will find your passion.
你们仍然会失败
And you’ll still fail.
你们会失败 是因为
You’re going to fail, because —
因为你们没有想着手去做它
because you’re not going to do it,
因为你会想出新的借口
because you will have invented a new excuse,
任何让你只说不做的借口
any excuse to fail to take action,
而且这个借口 我已经听过很多次了:
and this excuse, I’ve heard so many times:
是的 我要追求一番伟大事业
“Yes, I would pursue a great career,
但是 我更重视人际关系
but, I value human relationships —
而不是成就
more than accomplishment.
我想成为一个好朋友
I want to be a great friend.
我想成为一个好配偶
I want to be a great spouse.
我想做一个好家长
I want to be a great parent,
我不想让他们
and I will not sacrifice them
成为我伟大成就的牺牲品
on the altar of great accomplishment.”
你想我说什么?
What do you want me to say?
现在你真的想让我说 告诉你
Now, do you really want me to say now, tell you,
“真的 我发誓我从来不踹小孩”
“Really, I swear I don’t kick children.”
[笑声]
[Laughter]
看看你给自己定的世界观
Look at the worldview you’ve given yourself.
无论怎样你都是个英雄
You’re a hero no matter what.
然而我 通过十分小心翼翼的暗示
And I, by suggesting ever so delicately
说你想要成就大事业 必须痛恨小孩
that you might want a great career, must hate children.
我不讨厌小孩 我不踹他们
I don’t hate children. I don’t kick them.
好的 之前我到这儿的时候
Yes, there was a little kid wandering through this building
有个小孩走过来闲逛 没有 我真没踹他
when I came here, and no, I didn’t kick him.
当然 我需要去告诉他这座建筑只开放给成年人
Course, I had to tell him the building was for adults only,
所以请出去
and to get out.
他含糊不清地说了些有关他妈妈的话
He mumbled something about his mother,
然后我告诉他 他妈妈也许正在外边儿找他
and I told him she’d probably find him outside anyway.
最后一次见他的时候 他正坐在楼梯上哭
Last time I saw him, he was on the stairs crying.
真是个懦夫
What a wimp.
但是你到底什么意思?那是你们想让我这么说的
But what do you mean? That’s what you expect me to say.
你真的认为
Do you really think it’s appropriate
你利用小孩当盾牌合适吗?
that you should actually take children and use them as a shield?
你知道某天会发生什么样的事
You know what will happen someday,
你是完美的家长 对吗?
you ideal parent, you?
你的孩子某天会到你跟前说:
The kid will come to you someday and say,
我知道我想成为什么人
“I know what I want to be.
我知道我将怎样过我的人生”
I know what I’m going to do with my life.”
你非常开心
You are so happy.
这是为人父母想要听到的交谈
It’s the conversation a parent wants to hear,
因为你的孩子十分擅长数学
because your kid’s good in math,
你知道你将会喜欢接下来孩子要说的话
and you know you’re going to like what comes next.
你的孩子说:
Says your kid,
“我决定我要成为一名魔术师
“I have decided I want to be a magician.
我想在舞台上表演魔术”
I want to perform magic tricks on the stage.”
[笑声]
[Laughter]
那你怎么说?
And what do you say?
你说 你说
You say, you say,
“那很危险 孩子”
“That’s risky, kid.
“可能会失败 孩子 别指望靠那个赚很多钱 孩子”
Might fail, kid. Don’t make a lot of money at that, kid.
我不清楚 孩子 你应该再考虑考虑 孩子”
I don’t know, kid, you should think about that again, kid.
你数学这么好 为啥你不……”
You’re so good at math, why don’t you –“
你的孩子打断你说:
The kid interrupts you and says,
“但这是我的梦想 我的梦想就是做这个”
“But it is my dream. It is my dream to do this.”
那你会怎么说?
And what are you going to say?
你知道你会怎么说吗?
You know what you’re going to say?
“听着孩子 我曾经也有个梦想
“Look kid. I had a dream once, too, but —
但是——”
But –“
那么你将怎么完成“但是”后面的句子?
So how are you going to finish the sentence with your “but”?
“但是”
But.
“但是我曾经也有个梦想 孩子 但我害怕去追求它”
“But. I had a dream too, once, kid, but I was afraid to pursue it.”
或者你会告诉他:
Or are you going to tell him this:
“我曾经也有个梦想 孩子
“I had a dream once, kid.
但是那时 你出生了”
But then, you were born.”
[笑声]
[Laughter]
[掌声]
[Applause]
你真的想利用你的家庭
Do you really want to use your family,
你真的想注视着你的爱人和孩子
do you really ever want to look at your spouse and your kid,
结果看见的是束缚你的人?
and see your jailers?
这是当你的孩子说“我有一个梦想”时
There was something you could have said to your kid,
你本可以对你孩子说的话
when he or she said, “I have a dream.”
你本可以说
You could have said —
看着孩子的脸说
looked the kid in the face and said,
去争取它吧 孩子!
“Go for it, kid!
就像我做过的那样”
Just like I did.”
但你没办法那样说
But you won’t be able to say that,
因为你并没有这样做过
because you didn’t.
所以你不能
So you can’t.
[笑声]
[Laughter]
所以父母的罪恶
And so the sins of the parents
会被迁怒于可怜的孩子
are visited on the poor children.
为什么你要到人际关系中寻求庇护所
Why will you seek refuge in human relationships
来作为你不去寻找和追求你的梦想的借口
as your excuse not to find and pursue your passion?
你知道原因
You know why.
在你的内心深处 你知道为什么
In your heart of hearts, you know why,
我现在非常严肃
and I’m being deadly serious.
你知道你为什么会喜欢追求温暖和舒适
You know why you would get all warm and fuzzy
把自己层层包裹在人际关系中吗?
and wrap yourself up in human relationships?
这是因为你是——
It is because you are —
你知道你是什么样的人
you know what you are.
你害怕去追求你所热爱的
You’re afraid to pursue your passion.
你害怕看起来荒谬
You’re afraid to look ridiculous.
你害怕去尝试
You’re afraid to try.
你害怕你会失败
You’re afraid you may fail.
伟大的朋友 伟大的伴侣 伟大的父母 伟大的事业
Great friend, great spouse, great parent, great career.
那不是打包在一起的吗?那不是真正的你吗?
Is that not a package? Is that not who you are?
你怎么能符合其中一个却不符合另一个?
How can you be one without the other?
但是你很害怕
But you’re afraid.
所以这就是为什么你没有一个伟大的职业
And that’s why you’re not going to have a great career.
除非
Unless —
“除非” 一个所有英文单词中最有情感感召力的词
“unless,” that most evocative of all English words —
“除非”
“unless.”
但是“除非”这个词也会附带
But the “unless” word is also attached
其它那些最糟糕的词
to that other, most terrifying phrase,
“要是我之前(怎么怎么样)……”
“If only I had …”
“要是我早(怎么怎么样)……”
“If only I had …”
如果你脑海中曾有这样的想法闪过
If you ever have that thought ricocheting in your brain,
那造成的伤害就太大了
it will hurt a lot.
那么 那些就是关于你
So, those are the many reasons
为什么没能成就一番伟业的种种原因
why you are going to fail to have a great career.
除非……
Unless —
除非
Unless.
谢谢
Thank you.
[掌声]
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

不要给自己找借口,不顾一切地去追求梦想吧!

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Echo

审核员

赖皮

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkJ-ry6aSk

相关推荐