未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

为什么不能告诉人们你的目标?

Why You Shouldn't Tell People About Your Goals - College Info Geek

About a week ago, an acquaintance of mine named Tom Scott put out a video
约一周前 我的一个熟人Tom Scott 发布了一个视频
called “Why You Should Write Down Your Goals”
名为“为何应该写下你的目标”
and in that video he recounted a failed marketing stunt/experiment
他在视频中讲述了一个由英国电视网ITV播出的
put on by British television network ITV
失败的营销噱头/实验
where they asked people to publicly commit to goals,
实验要求人们公开立下目标
and those goals were then etched on to monuments.
然后这些目标被刻在纪念碑上
These monuments were placed all around the UK in lots of historic places,
这些纪念碑遍布英国许多历史遗迹
and they were really excited about punctuating the new millennium with this project,
他们真的很兴奋 能用这个项目为新千年划上句号
but after just a couple of years,
但仅仅几年之后
the television network actually scrapped it
ITV便废弃了这个项目
because, well, nobody cared about it, and it didn’t make any money.
因为 没人在乎它 它也没带来任何收益
The point of Tom’s video though is that
Tom的视频重点是
the financial failure of this Monument project
虽然这个纪念碑项目没能带来收益
didn’t stop it from doing some good
但它仍起到了某些好的作用
because as recent research has pointed out,
因为正如近期的研究所指出的那样
the simple act of writing done your goals really does help you
写下目标这个简单的举动确实能使你
become more likely to achieve them,
更有可能实现这些目标
so ITV’s project, despite its failure,
因此 尽管ITV这个项目失败了
most likely did benefit the people
但它很可能确实
who committed to those goals or did it?
让设立这些目标的人受益 真的么?
See, these people didn’t just write down their goals privately,
看吧 这些人不仅仅私下写出他们的目标
they publicly stated them,
也当众宣布了它们
and had someone etched them onto a monument for all to see.
并且让人将它们刻在一个纪念碑上 供大家观看
and therein lies the problem, they told someone
那么问题来了 他们告诉了电视前的一些人
or rather several thousand someones on national television
或者更确切地说是数千人
what their goals were
他们的目标是什么
and it turns out that telling people about your goals
可事实证明 把你的目标告诉别人
actually does you more harm than good.
实际上弊大于利
Now maybe this is confusing to you,
现在你可能疑惑了
after all, accountability and stuff, right?
毕竟 要对比负责的 对吧?
Won’t telling my friend about my goal to run a marathon
不告诉朋友我要跑马拉松的目标
make me accountable to them?
会使我对它们负责吗?
Well, in one word, nope.
一个字 不
Unfortunately, that’s usually not how it works.
不幸的是 通常并非如此
Here’s the thing, most of your friends
情况是这样的 你的大多数朋友
won’t care enough to actually keep you accountable.
其实不会很关心并且监督你
They’ll pat you on the back.
他们只会拍拍你的背
They’ll give you some congratulations on your goal,
祝贺你实现目标
but most of them are too busy
但是他们大部分都太忙了
dealing with their own lives
忙于应付他们的生活
to break into your house at 4 a.m.
没有时间在凌晨4点闯进你家
with a boombox playing “Eye of the Tiger”.
还抱着一个正播放《虎眼》的手提音响
Unless you’re me.
除非你是我
More importantly, announcing your goal
更重要的是 说出你的目标
widens your intention-behavior gap
会拉大你的意图和行为之间的差距
which is the disconnect
这就是
between knowing you should do something and actually doing it.
知道应该做什么和实际做什么之间的脱节
Now psychologists have been studying
心理学家从20世纪20年代
the intention-behavior gap since the 1920s,
就开始研究意图-行为差距
and what they’ve learned is
他们了解到
basically, we humans, we like to dream a lot.
基本上 我们人类很喜欢做梦
We’ve got tons and tons of dreams, aspirations, goals and fantasies,
我们有无数的梦想 抱负 目标和幻想
and we’re usually smart enough
而且我们通常都够聪明
to know what the first step is in order to achieving that goal.
知道实现目标的第一步是什么
Unfortunately, we often have trouble actually taking that first step,
不幸的是 事实上我们常常很难迈出第一步
to say nothing of continuing on to the next ones.
更不用说继续后面的了
Being aware of this fact, in 2009 a group of researchers at NYU
基于这个事实 2009年一个纽约大学研究团队
decided to study how the intention-behavior gap
决定研究人们告诉别人他们的目标
was affected by people telling others about their goals,
是如何影响意图-行为差距的
and across four different experiments
在四项不同的实验中
they had people first state a goal,
研究者让被试者先树立一个目标
and then they gave them 45 minutes to work on it.
然后给被试者45分钟时间来实践
For each of these experiments,
在每项实验中
the people were divided into two different groups.
被试者被分为两个不同的组
The first group announced their goal
第一组在工作之前
to the room before starting work
对房间里的人说出他们的目标
while the second group kept their mouth shut,
同时第二组则不说
and here’s what happened.
看看发生了什么
The group that said nothing
不说出目标的那一组
tended to work for the entire 45 minutes on average,
平均工作了45分钟
and when asked about their progress,
当被问起进程时
they were pretty realistic.
他们十分实事求是
They tended to say that they still had a lot more work to do
在完成之前 他们倾向于回答
before they’d be done.
自己还有许多工作没做
By contrast, the people who announced their goals
相比之下 说出目标的那一组人
quit after only 33 minutes of work on average,
平均工作33分钟后便停下了
and when they were asked about their progress,
当被问起工作进程时
they were a lot more confident, and tended to say
他们更加自信 并且倾向于说
they were pretty close to completion,
他们差不多完工了
even though they weren’t.
即使事实并非如此
These latter groups made so much less real progress
这些第二组的人实际做的少得多
because announcing their goal
因为说出自己的目标
gave them a fake sense of accomplishment.
给了他们一种虚假的成就感
See, when you announce your goal to somebody,
看 当你把目标说给别人听
and they affirm it, you feel good.
并且他们肯定了你的目标 你会感觉良好
You almost feel like you’ve actually
你几乎觉得实际上已经
taken a step towards achieving that goal,
在实现目标的路上前进了一步
and that gives you some small sense of satisfaction.
并且这还会给你一种自我满足感
This is called a social reality.
这是一种社会现实
The affirmation of your goal by somebody who’s respected your desire
尊重你意愿的人对你的目标给予肯定时
actually makes you feel closer to achieving it,
会使你感觉自己离成功更近了一步
even though in reality, you haven’t done anything.
即使现实中你并没做什么事
Now I first heard about this study
我第一次听说这项研究
in a TED talk given by the entrepreneur Derek Sivers,
是在企业家Derek Sivers发表的一个TED演讲
who I have massive amounts of respect for,
我十分尊敬他
and after presenting the research findings in the talk,
他在演讲中发布这项研究结果之后
here was his advice:
给出了如下建议
You should, “Resist the temptation to announce your goal,
你应该“拒绝说出自己的目标
delay the gratification that the social acknowledgement brings,
延迟社会认可给你带来的喜悦感
and understand that your mind mistakes the talking for the doing.”
并且懂得 你的大脑会将你所说的错认为你所做的”
Now as a general principle, I totally agree with this,
作为一般原则 我完全同意
and I think that we should heed it for the most part.
我认为我们应该在很大程度上注意这一点
I don’t think that it disproves the usefulness of accountability partners,
我不认为这反驳了责任合伙人的有用性
but I do think that it highlights the importance
但我认为它强调了一个重要的意义
that if you’re gonna get one and tell him your goal,
如果你将有一个合伙人并告诉他你的目标
you should make sure it’s somebody
你应该确保有人
who will actually keep you accountable.
会真正让你负责
Also, it helps to frame your goal in terms of the work you need to put in
它有助于根据你需要付出的努力来制定你的目标
rather than the identity that you want to assume,
而不是根据你想要设定的身份
so instead of saying “I’m going to run a marathon”,
所以与其说“我要去跑马拉松”
which paints you as a cool, tough marathon runner,
把你描绘成一个酷的 坚强的马拉松运动员
just say I’m going to run an hour a day.
倒不如说我打算每天跑步一小时
That’s the work you have to put in,
这就是你必须要付诸的努力
and it’s much easier for them to keep you accountable for it.
合伙人更容易让你对自己的目标负责
That being said, the main conclusion of Tom’s video is still completely valid.
尽管如此 Tom视频的主要结论仍然是完全正确的
I definitely think that you should write down your goals,
我确信你应该写下你的目标
and now that you’ve finished watching this video,
既然你已经看完了这个视频
go give that one a watch. It’s a good one.
再去看看那一个 那个视频也不错
You can also check out Derek’s original TED talk
你也可以看看Derek最初的TED演讲
which I’ve embedded in the blog post for this video.
我已经在这段视频的博客文章中嵌入了它
If you want to read that,
如果你想看
you could click the orange button right there.
你可以点击那里的橙色按钮
If you want to get new tips on
如果你想每一周都得到
being a more effective student every single week,
一些关于做一个更有效率的学生的新建议
you can click that big red subscribe button down below
可以点击下方的大红色订阅按钮
and I wrote an entire book on how to earn better grades,
我还写了一整本关于如何提高成绩的书
so if you want a free copy sent to your email,
所以如果你想通过邮件收到免费副本
click the picture of the book.
就点击书的图片吧
Last week’s video was all about how I use my calendar,
上周的视频都是关于如何使用日程表
so check it out if you missed it,
确认下你是否错过了
and if you’d like to connect, I’m on Instagram and Twitter@TomFrankly
如果你想看 我有Instagram和推特@TomFrankly
or you can leave a comment down below.
或者你也可以在下方留言
Thanks for watching.
感谢观看

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

拥有清晰的目标是好事,但是当你当众说出你的目标时,可能你的行动力会大打折扣。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

YXG-ce28e

审核员

审核员HC

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdm5xSZiOA

相关推荐