ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

为什么你应该做无用的事 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

为什么你应该做无用的事

Why you should make useless things | Simone Giertz

大家好
Hello.
我是Simone
My name is Simone.
在台上紧张时
You know how people tell you
你知道人们会怎样告诉你
if you get nervous when onstage,
想象听众都是光着的
picture people in the audience naked?
就像这是件会使你感到轻松一点的事儿
Like it’s this thing that’s supposed to make you feel better.
但我认为
But I was thinking —
在2018年还想象大家都光着让人觉得有点怪异不对劲
picturing all of you naked in 2018 feels kind of weird and wrong.
就像 我们正努力改变过去的事情
Like, we’re working really hard on moving past stuff like that,
如果你在台上变得紧张
so we need a new method of dealing with
我们需要一种新的方法来应对
if you get nervous onstage.
我意识到自己真正喜欢的是
And I realized that what I’d really like
可以像你们注视着我一样
is that I can look at you as much
注视着你们
as you’re looking at me —
就是希望事情稍微平衡点
just to even things out a little bit.
如果我拥有更多的眼睛
So if I had way more eyeballs,
那么我们都会感到十分舒适 不是吗
then we’d all be really comfortable, right?
因此 为了准备这次演讲
So in preparation for this talk,
我给自己做了件衬衫
I made myself a shirt.
这是睁大的眼睛
It’s googly eyes.
制作它我花了14个小时
It took me 14 hours
这件衬衫上有227只大眼睛
and 227 googly eyes to make this shirt.
能和你们看我的视线一样多
And being able to look at you as much as you’re looking at me
只是我制作这件衬衫的一个原因
is actually only half of the reason I made this.
另一个是它可以这样发出咔哒咔哒声
The other half is being able to do this.
我做了许多这样的事
So I do a lot of things like this.
我发现问题然后创造些方法来解决它
I see a problem and I invent some sort of solution to it.
例如 刷牙
For example, brushing your teeth.
这是我们都必须做的事
Like, it’s this thing we all have to do,
刷牙有点无聊 没有人真正喜欢它
it’s kind of boring, and nobody really likes it.
如果听众中有7岁的孩子
If there were anyseven-year-olds in the audience,
他们一定会说: 没错
they’d be like,”Yes!”
那么 如果有机器可以帮你刷牙呢?
So what about if you had a machine that could do it for you?
我称之为……
I call it…
我叫它“牙刷头盔”
I call it”The Toothbrush Helmet.”
我的牙刷头盔
So my toothbrush helmet is recommended
十个牙医中没一个会推荐它
by zero out of 10 dentists,
它也的确没能彻底革新牙医界
and it definitely did not revolutionize the world of dentistry,
但却彻底改变了我的生活
but it did completely change my life.
因为三年前我制作完成了这个牙刷头盔
Because I finished making this toothbrush helmet three years ago
在此之后
and after I finished making it,
我进入客厅举起照相机
I went into my living room and I put up a camera,
拍摄了一条牙刷头盔运行的七秒钟短片
and I filmed a seven-secondclip of it working.
迄今为止 这个女孩在网上发布的短片
And by now, this is a pretty standardmodern-day fairy tale
仍是一个高水准的现代神话故事
of girl posting on the internet,
网络上对女孩展开了激烈的评论
the internet takes the girl by storm,
成千上万的人在评论区里游荡
thousands of men voyageinto the comment sections
期待执子之手 与子偕老
to ask for her hand in marriage —
她没有理会这些 开设了一个YouTube频道
She ignores all of them, starts a YouTube channel
继续设计机器人
and keeps on building robots.
自那以后 作为一名制造无用机器的发明家
Since then, I’ve carved
在互联网上
out this little niche for myself on the internet
我开辟了属于自己的小领域
as an inventor of useless machines,
因为正如我们所知
because as we all know,
达到你所在领域顶尖水平的最轻松的方法
the easiest way to be at the top of your field
就是选择一个非常小的领域
is to choose a very small field.
所以我在YouTube上开了一个关于我的机器的频道
So I run a YouTube channelabout my machines,
我做了些类似于用无人机剪头发的事
and I’ve done thingslike cutting hair with drones —
一台能够早上叫醒我的机器
To a machine that helps me wake up in the morning —
Simone: 哦!
(Video) Simone: Ow!
这台机器帮助我们切蔬菜
To this machinethat helps me chop vegetables.
我不是工程师
I’m not an engineer.
在学校学的也不是工程学
I did not study engineering in school.
但在学生生涯 我一直是个有野心的人
But I was a super ambitiousstudent growing up.
初中和高中我一直取得A等成绩
In middle school and high school,I had straight A’s,
大学毕业时我也名列前茅
and I graduated at the top of my year.
此事也有负面影响 我要与严重的成绩焦虑做斗争
On the flip side of that, I struggled with very severe performance anxiety.
这是一封我那时写给弟弟的邮件
Here’s an email I sentto my brother around that time.
“你不知道我跟你说这事儿有多难
“You won’t understandhow difficult it is for me to tell you,
向你坦白这件事
to confess this.
我非常焦灼不安
I’m so freaking embarrassed.
我不想让别人觉得我笨
I don’t want peopleto think that I’m stupid.
此刻我也忍不住要哭
Now I’m starting to cry too.
可恶” 不 我并没有意外烧掉我父母的房子
Damn.” And no, I did not accidentally burn our parents’ house down.
我在邮件里所写的
The thing I’m writing
令我如此沮丧的事
about in the email and the thing I’m so upset about
只是在数学考试中得了个B
is that I got a B on a math test.
很明显在这两组照片之间发生了一些事
So something obviously happenedbetween here and here.
其中一件事便是青春期
One of those things was puberty.
确实是美好的年华
Beautiful time indeed.
更重要的是 我开始对制造机器人感兴趣
But moreover, I got interested in building robots,
我想自学机器硬件
and I wanted to teach myselfabout hardware.
但是用硬件制造机械 尤其是你自学硬件
But building things with hardware,especially if you’re teaching yourself,
做起来真的是件难事儿
is something that’s reallydifficult to do.
很可能失败 而且
It has a high likelihood of failure and moreover,
还很可能让你觉得自己有点蠢
it has a high likelihood of making you feel stupid.
这是我那时最大的恐惧
And that was my biggest fear at the time.
因此 我想出了一个
So I came up with a setup
能够保证百分之百成功的计划
that would guarantee success 100 percent of the time.
在我的计划里 这事几乎不会失败
With my setup, it would benearly impossible to fail.
那就是不要视图成功
And that was that insteadof trying to succeed,
我一直努力造些可能会失败的机器
I was going to try to buildthings that would fail.
即便如此 在那时我并没有意识到
And even though I didn’trealize it at the time,
制造愚蠢的东西实际上是很聪明的
building stupid thingswas actually quite smart,
因为随着我持续学习硬件
because as I kept onlearning about hardware,
我人生中第一次
for the first time in my life,
不需要缓解自己的成绩焦虑
I did not have to deal with my performance anxiety.
我一转移自己
And as soon as I removed
所有的压力和期待
all pressure and expectations from myself,
那种焦虑就迅速被热情所替代
that pressure quicklygot replaced by enthusiasm,
这使我可以纯粹享受玩的乐趣
and it allowed me to just play.
作为发明家 我对人们努力争取的事感兴趣
So as an inventor, I’m interested in things that people struggle with.
它可以是大事或小事或不大不小的事
It can be small things or big thingsor medium-sized things
还有像在TED做演讲之类的事
and something like giving a TED talk
它带来了一系列我能解决的新的问题
presents this whole new set of problems that I can solve.
找出问题是我制造无用机器
And identifying a problemis the first step
过程中的第一步
in my process of building a useless machine.
在我来这儿之前
So before I came here,
我坐下来思考了一些在这次演讲中
I sat down and I thought of some of the potential problems I might have
可能会遇见的困难
in giving this talk.
忘记要说什么
Forgetting what to say.
听众不觉得好笑 就是你哦
That people won’t laugh — that’s you.
更糟的是 你们笑错了点
Or even worse, that you’ll laugh at
放心这一部分是可以笑的 谢谢
the wrong things — that was an OK part to laugh at, thank you.
或者当我紧张时 我的手开始颤抖
Or that when I get nervous,my hands start shaking
我自己真的意识到了这一点
and I’m really self-conscious about it.
或者我的拉链一直开着
Or that my fly has beenopen this entire time
你们都发现了而我却没有
and all of you noticed but I didn’t,
但它扣得好好的 我们都不用担心
but it’s closed so we’reall good on that one.
但是我的手颤抖这事让我非常不安
But one thing I’m actually really nervous about is my hands shaking.
我记得当我还是个孩子的时候
I remember when I was a kid,
在学校里做活动陈述
giving presentations in school,
我会把笔记写在一张纸上
I would have my notes on a piece of paper,
然后在纸下面垫一个笔记本
and I would put a notebookbehind the paper
这样人们就不能看到纸在颤抖了
so that people wouldn’t be ableto see the paper quivering.
我做了很多演讲
And I give a lot of talks.
我知道听众席的你们大约一半
I know that about half of you
有可能这样想:
in the audience are probably like,
“制造无用的机器确实有趣
“Building useless machines is really fun,
但是这如何形成一种商业模式?”
but how is this in any way or form a business?”
做演讲就是其中的一部分
And giving talks is a part of it.
策划者常常在台上用玻璃杯
And the arrangers always put out a glass
为你放一杯水
of water for you onstage
以便当你口渴时有东西喝
so you have something to drinkif you get thirsty,
我总是非常想喝那杯水
and I always so badlywant to drink that water,
但是我不敢拿起那个玻璃杯
but I don’t dare to pick the glass up
因为人们可能看出我的手在抖
because then people might be able to see that my hands are shaking.
那如果让一只机器手端水给你会怎样呢?
So what about a machine that hands you a glass of water?
卖给这个穿着大眼睛衬衫的紧张女孩
Sold to the nervous girlin the googly-eye shirt.
事实上 我需要把这个脱下来
Actually, I need to take this off
因为我有一样东西
because I have a thing —

Oh.
我还不知道该怎么叫这东西
I still don’t know what to call this,
我想也许可以叫做“头部轨道装置”
but I think some sort of”head orbit device,”
因为它用这个平台环绕着你
because it rotatesthis platform around you
你可以在这上面放任何东西
and you can put anything on it.
你可以放一台照相机 拍下你整个头部的照片
You can have a camera; you can get photos of your entire head.
它真的是 它真的是一台万能的机器
Like it’s really –it’s a very versatile machine.
笑声 好的
(Laughter) OK,
我有
and I have —
我的意思是 你可以放些零食在这上面 例如
I mean, you can put some snacks on it, for example,
如果你想的话
if you want to.
我有些爆米花
I have some popcorn here.
你只要像这样放一点在上面
And you just put a little bit like that.
然后你想——
And then you want to —
哦 为了科学总要有些牺牲
Oh, there’s some sacrifices for science —
只不过是一些爆米花掉到地板上了
just some popcorn falling on the floor.
让它转动一圈
Let’s do the long way around.
然后你看到一只小手
And then you have a little hand.
你需要调一下它的高度
You need to adjust the height of it,
你只能通过耸肩来调整了
and you just do it by shrugging.
它有一只小手
It has a little hand.
我只是把我的麦克风拍掉了
I just bumped my mic off,
但是我觉得我们都还好
but I think we’re all good.
好的 我还要嚼这些爆米花
OK, also I need to chew this popcorn,
所以希望大家可以多鼓鼓掌
so if you guys could just clap your hands a little bit more —
好了 它就像你个人的小型太阳系
OK, so it’s like your ownlittle personal solar system,
因为我生于千禧年 所以我希望所有东西都围着我转
because I’m a millennial, so I want everything to revolve around me.
回到这杯水 这是我们戴着这机器的原由
Back to the glass of water,that’s what we’re here for.
因此 我承诺 我的意思是它还有
So, I promise — I mean, it still has —
它里面没有水 有点抱歉了
it doesn’t have any water in it, I’m sorry.
但是我还是需要 操作一下这个机器
But I still need to work on this machine a little bit
因为我还是要拿起 玻璃杯并把它放在平台上
because I still need to pick up the glass and put it on the platform,
但是如果你的手有点抖
but if your handsare shaking a little bit,
没人会察觉到因为你
nobody’s going to notice because you’re
戴着一个非常具有掩饰性的设备
wearing a very mesmerizing piece of equipment.
所以 我们都还好
So, we’re all good.
好的
OK.
哦不 它卡住了
Oh no, it got stuck.
有时连机器人在台上也会受到惊吓 差可告慰 嗯?
Isn’t it comforting that even robotssometimes get stage fright?
它只是有点卡
It just gets stuck a little bit.
很像人类呀
It’s very human of them.
哦等等 让它退回来一点
Oh wait, let’s go back a little bit,
然后
and then —
这难道不是活着的美好时光吗?
Isn’t it a beautiful time to be alive?
也许我的机器看起来
So as much as my machines can seem
像一出简单的工程闹剧
like simple engineering slapstick,
我意识到自己无意中发现了比这更重要的事
I realize that I stumbledon something bigger than that.
正是快乐和谦虚的表达
It’s this expression of joy and humility
使你常常沉迷于工程学
that often gets lost in engineering,
对我来说这是学习硬件的同时
and for me it was a wayto learn about hardware
摒除我的成绩焦虑的一种途径
without having my performanceanxiety get in the way.
我常常被问到 我是否认为自己可以制造些有用的机器
I often get asked if I think I’m ever going to build something useful,
也许未来有一天我会
and maybe someday I will.
但是我对此事的看法
But the way I see it,
我已经做了些有用的事因为我创造了自己的职业
I already have because I’ve built myself this job
这是我从未想过的
and it’s something that I couldnever have planned for,
或者我可以
or that I could —
这是我从未想过的
It’s something that I couldnever have planned for.
相反 它发生在我热忠于
Instead it happened just because I was enthusiastic
我所做的事的时候
about what I was doing,
并且和其他人分享这一热情
and I was sharing that enthusiasmwith other people.
对我来说 制造无用之物是真实的美好
To me that’s the true beautyof making useless things,
因为它使你承认了
because it’s this acknowledgment
你并非总是知道最佳的答案
that you don’t always knowwhat the best answer is.
同时它关掉你脑海中的声音
And it turns off that voice in your head
这声音告诉你 你准确地知道这世界如何运转
that tells you that you knowexactly how the world works.
也许牙刷头盔并不是答案
And maybe a toothbrush helmetisn’t the answer,
但是至少你正在探寻这个问题
but at least you’re asking the question.
谢谢大家
Thank you.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

看似无用的事在不经意中会创造出另类价值,保持探寻专注有助于缓解他方带来的压力。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

WXSNC001

审核员

审核员 V

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0bsKc4tiuY

相关推荐