未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

我们需要心理健康假

Why students should have mental health days | Hailey Hardcastle

When I was a kid,
小时候
my mom and I made this deal.
我和妈妈做了一个约定
I was allowed to take three mental health rest days every semester
只要我在学校一直表现良好
as long as I continued to do well in school.
每学期就可以休3天的“心理健康日”
This was because I started my mental health journey
这是因为 6岁时
when I was only six years old.
我就开始心理康复之旅了
I was always what my grade-school teachers would call “a worrier,”
小学老师总是称我为“焦虑者”
but later on we found out that
不过后来 大家发现
I have trauma-induced anxiety and clinical depression.
我患有创伤性焦虑和临床抑郁症
This made growing up pretty hard.
这让我的成长之路困难重重
I was worried about a lot of things that other kids weren’t,
我时常担心很多其他孩子不会担心的事情
and school got really overwhelming sometimes.
有时 学校的功课也应付不来
This resulted in a lot of breakdowns,
这导致我经常感到精神崩溃
panic attacks —
恐慌症发作——
sometimes I was super productive,
有时侯 我的学习效率很高
and other days I couldn’t get anything done.
有时 却什么也做不好
This was all happening during a time
那段时间
when mental health wasn’t being talked about as much as it is now,
人们对心理健康 特别是青少年心理健康的探讨
especially youth mental health.
远不如现在普遍
Some semesters I used all of those rest days to the fullest.
有的学期 我充分利用了所有休息日
Others, I didn’t need any at all.
有的学期 我完全不需要休息日
But the fact that they were always an option
但正因为能够选择是否休息
is what kept me a happy, healthy and successful student.
我才成为快乐 健康 学业有成的学生
Now I’m using those skills that I learned as a kid
现在 我用小时候学到的技能
to help other students with mental health challenges.
帮助其他学生应对他们的心理健康挑战
I’m here today to offer you some insight into the world of teenage mental health:
今天 我想介绍一些有关青少年心理健康的知识:
what’s going on, how did we get here and what can we do?
发生了什么事?怎么发生的?我们能做什么?
But first you need to understand
可是首先 你要了解
that while not everyone has a diagnosed mental illness like I do,
并非每个人都像我一样被确诊患有心理疾病
absolutely everyone — all of you have mental health.
但每个人都需要关心心理健康的问题
All of us have a brain that needs to be cared for in similar ways
就像维持身体健康一样
that we care for our physical well-being.
每个人也有一个需要精心呵护的大脑
Our head and our body are connected by much more than just our neck after all.
毕竟 我们的头和身体的联系并不仅仅是脖子
Mental illness even manifests itself in some physical ways,
心理疾病也可以体现在生理上
such as nausea, headaches, fatigue and shortness of breath.
如恶心 头痛 疲劳和呼吸急促
So since mental health affects all of us,
既然心理健康会影响所有人
shouldn’t we be coming up with solutions that are accessible to all of us?
难道我们不该想出所有人都能接受的解决方案吗?
That brings me to my second part of my story.
这就引出了我故事的第二部分
When I was in high school
读高中时
I had gotten pretty good at managing my own mental health.
我己经能很好地管理自己的心理健康
I was a successful student,
我成绩不错
and I was president of the Oregon Association of Student Councils.
也是俄勒冈州学生会主席
But it was around this time that I began to realize
但这时 我开始意识到
mental health was much a bigger problem than just for me personally.
其他人也受到较严重的心理健康问题的困扰
Unfortunately, my hometown was touched by multiple suicides
不幸的是 读高一的时候
during my first year in high school.
我的家乡发生了多起自杀事件
I saw those tragedies shake our entire community,
我看到整个社区的人都被那些悲剧触动了
and as the president of a statewide group,
作为一个全州性组织的主席
I began hearing more and more stories
我也开始从其他学生那里
from students where this had also happened in their town.
听到越来越多类似的悲剧
So in 2018 at our annual summer camp,
因此 在2018年的年度夏令营
we held a forum with about 100 high school students
我们与100名高中生举行了座谈会
to discuss teenage mental health.
共同讨论青少年心理健康问题
What could we do?
我们能做什么?
We approached this conversation with an enormous amount of empathy and honesty,
我们怀着极大的同理心和坦诚进行交流
and the results were astounding.
获得了意想不到的结果
What struck me the most
让我印象深刻的是
was that every single one of my peers
每个同龄人
had a story about a mental health crisis in their school,
不管他们来自俄勒冈州东边的小镇
no matter if they were from a tiny town in eastern Oregon
还是波特兰的市中心
or the very heart of Portland.
都有一个关于校园心理健康危机的故事
This was happening everywhere.
这样的故事无处不在
We even did some research,
我们甚至还做了一些研究
and we found out that suicide is the second leading cause of death
我们发现 自杀是俄勒冈州
for youth ages 10 to 24 in Oregon.
10岁到24岁青年的第二大死因
The second leading cause.
第二大死因
We knew we had to do something.
我们不能再袖手旁观了
So over the next few months,
于是 在接下来的几个月
we made a committee called Students for a Healthy Oregon,
我们创办了“学生支持健康俄勒冈”委员会
and we set out to end the stigma against mental health.
致力于停止将心理健康污名化
We also wanted to prioritize mental health in schools.
我们还希望在学校提升心理健康的重要性
With the help of some lobbyists and a few mental health professionals,
在一些游说者和心理健康专家的帮助下
we put forth House Bill 2191.
我们提出了众议院2191号法案
This bill allows students to take mental health days off from school
该法案允许学生以精神健康为由请假
the same way you would a physical health day.
跟请普通的病假一样
Because oftentimes
因为通常情况下
that day off is the difference between feeling a whole lot better and a whole lot worse —
休一天假就能让你感觉更好——
kind of like those days my mom gave me when I was younger.
就像小时候我妈妈允许我休的假
So over the next few months,
在接下来的几个月
we lobbied and researched and campaigned for our bill,
我们为该法案进行游说 研究和竞选
and in June of 2019 it was finally signed into law.
2019年6月 该法案终于被签署成为法律
This was a groundbreaking moment for Oregon students.
对于俄勒冈州的学生来说 这是一个突破性的时刻
Here’s an example of how this is playing out now.
效果如何呢?我们来看一个例子
Let’s say a student is having a really hard month.
比如说 一名学生这个月过得很糟糕
They’re overwhelmed, overworked,
他们课业繁重 疲劳过度
they’re falling behind in school, and they know they need help.
跟不上课程进度 他们感觉自己需要帮助
Maybe they’ve never talked about mental health with their parents before,
他们可能从未与父母谈过心理健康的话题
but now they have a law on their side to help initiate that conversation.
但现在有一条法律可以帮助他们发起这场对话
The parent still needs to be the one to call the school and excuse the absence,
父母依然需要给学校打电话 解释请假的原因
so it’s not like it’s a free pass for the kids,
也就是说 孩子们并不能随意旷课
but most importantly,
但最重要的是
now that school has that absence recorded as a mental health day,
现在学校把缺勤记录为心理健康日
so they can keep track
他们可以追踪
of just how many students take how many mental health days.
有多少学生请了多少天心理健康假
If a student takes too many,
如果一名学生请假次数太多
they’ll be referred to the school counselor for a check-in.
就会被建议由学校辅导员进行咨询
This is important because we can catch students who are struggling
这很重要 因为我们可以及时找到
before it’s too late.
并帮助那些陷入困境的学生
One of the main things we heard at that forum in 2018
2018年论坛上 我们听到的最主要的事情之一就是
is that oftentimes stepping forward and getting help is the hardest step.
最难的通常是向前一步 寻求帮助
We’re hoping that this law can help with that.
我们希望这条法律能帮助改善现状
This not only will start teaching kids young how to take care of themselves
不仅能教会孩子如何照顾自己
and practice self-care and stress management,
实践自理和压力管理
but it could also literally save lives.
也可以拯救生命
Now students from multiple other states are also trying to pass these laws.
目前 其它州的学生也在试图通过类似的法律
I’m currently working with students
我正在与加州和科罗拉州
in both California and Colorado to do the same,
学生一起合作 推动这些法案
because we believe that students everywhere deserve a chance to feel better.
因为我们相信 各地的学生都应有机会变得更好
Aside from all the practical reasons and technicalities,
除了实际原因和技术细节外
House Bill 2191 is really special
众议院法案2191的特别之处
because of the core concept behind it:
更在于它背后的核心理念:
that physical and mental health are equal and should be treated as such.
生理健康和心理健康应该被平等对待
In fact, they’re connected.
事实上 它们有着密切的联系
Take health care for example.
以医疗保健为例
Think about CPR.
比如心肺复苏
If you were put in a situation where you had to administer CPR,
如果你需要实施心肺复苏的话
would you know at least a little bit of what to do?
你知道具体怎么操作吗
Think to yourself — most likely yes
想想看 很可能知道
because CPR trainings are offered in most schools, workplaces and even online.
因为大多数学校 工作场所 甚至网络都提供心肺复苏培训
We even have songs that go with it.
甚至还有关于心肺复苏的歌曲
But how about mental health care?
但是心理健康呢?
I know I was trained in CPR in my seventh-grade health class.
我在七年级的健康课上受过心肺复苏训练
What if I was trained in seventh grade how to manage my mental health
如果我在七年级也训练了如何管理心理健康
or how to respond to a mental health crisis?
或如何应对心理健康危机呢?
I’d love to see a world where each of us has a toolkit of skills
我希望世界上的每个人都拥有一些技能
to help a friend, coworker, family member
来帮助正在经历心理健康危机的
or even stranger going through a mental health crisis.
朋友 同事 家人 甚至陌生人
And these resources should be especially available in schools
学校更应该提供这类资源
because that’s where students are struggling the most.
因为学校是学生最容易出现问题的地方
The other concept that I sincerely hope you take with you today
我衷心希望大家今天能够记住的另外一点是
is that it is always OK to not be OK,
出现心理问题很正常
and it is always OK to take a break.
偶尔休息一下也很正常
It doesn’t have to be a whole day;
不必花上一整天
sometimes that’s not realistic.
有时候这也不现实
But it can be a few moments here and there to check in with yourself.
但是可以随时随地地花些时间自我审视
Think of life like a race …
把生活想像成一场比赛……
like a long-distance race.
像一场长跑
If you sprint in the very beginning you’re going to get burnt out.
如果你一开始就冲刺 很快就会精疲力尽
You may even hurt yourself from pushing too hard.
甚至可能会因为用力过猛而伤了自己
But if you pace yourself,
可是如果你调整步伐
if you take it slow, sometimes intentionally,
有时候故意放慢脚步
and you push yourself other times,
张弛有度
you are sure to be way more successful.
你一定会更成功
So please, look after each other,
因此 请互相照顾
look after the kids and teens in your life
照顾你身边的孩子和青少年
especially the ones that look like they have it all together.
尤其是那些看起来有心理健康问题的人
Mental health challenges are not going away,
心理健康的挑战不会消失
but as a society,
但是作为一个社会
we can learn how to manage them by looking after one another.
我们可以通过相互照顾来学习如何管理这些挑战
And look after yourself, too.
同时也照顾好自己
As my mom would say,
就像我妈妈常说的
“Once in a while, take a break.”
“偶尔休息一下”
Thank you.
谢谢

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

学生心理健康休息假可以放松 减压 并以更好地状态继续学习

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

绿叶

审核员

审核员 V

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qq7lDL-bzY

相关推荐