未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

创业为什么会失败

Why do Startups fail? | Bikash Barai | TEDxIITKharagpur

More than 90% of startups…
超过90%的创业……
die. They fail.
完了 他们失败了
You know that the founders,
你知道的 创始者们
they have a great idea.
他们有很好的想法
They start their company with a lot of passion,
他们满腔热情地
with a lot of energy.
充满能量地创办了一家公司
They really really work hard,
他们真的很努力工作
yet 90% of the companies die.
但90%的公司还是失败了
Why is it so?
为什么会这样?
There are couple of main reasons,
这是有一些主要原因的
couple of big reasons.
一些很重要的原因
One of them is execution,
其中一个重要原因是执行
and I’m not going to talk about that today.
但今天我不是要讲这个
I’m going to talk about the other one,
我要讲的是另外一个原因
and that’s the primary cause of death of startups
它是创业失败的根本原因
are ideas in the very early stage.
那就是最初的想法
Execution is the one which becomes the reason for death in the next phase.
执行是创业第二阶段失败的原因
So, before I tell you that reason
在我告诉你们
for which most of the startups die in the very early stage,
大部分创业在初始阶段失败的原因之前
let me tell you a story, a story… of an idea.
让我来讲个故事 一个关于创业想法的故事
10 years back, I was studying in this campus.
10年前 我在这个校园里学习
And I decided not to go for a job,
我决定不去找工作
but to pursue my idea of a startup.
而是去实现自己创业的想法
And my family had absolutely no idea about business.
我的家人对商业是完全不了解的
So, when I went and told my mom
所以 当我和我妈妈说的时候
that I’m going to start a company,
我说我打算创办一家公司
she was little bit worried, but as always she supported.
她有一点担心 但还是一如既往的支持我
But then, after a month or so,
但是后来 大约一个月后
she called me up, and she sounded a little bit disturbed.
她打电话给我 她听起来有点不安
And she told me, “Bikash, you have to get a job.
她跟我说 “Bikash 你应该找份工作
Just go and sit for the placement, get the job,
去参加校园招聘 找一份工作
but it’s not necessary that you have to join.”
但你也不必真的投入”
And I thought what’s happening? Why is it so?
我就想发生了什么? 为什么会这样?
And after a while, I realized that
过了一会儿 我意识到
one of my uncles told my mom that
我的叔叔告诉我妈妈
I heard Bikash started a computer shop.
我听说Bikash 开了一家电脑店
So, my mom was furious.
所以我妈妈很生气
Is this the reason why I sent you to IIT
“难道我送你去印度理工学院学习
to start computer shop?
就是为了让你开家电脑店吗?
You’re spoiling my reputation.
你正在毁掉我的名声”
So, anyway, I let things get cool down for a while.
不管怎样 我让这件事情冷却下来一段时间
My mom got cool down, and I… never went for the campus placement,
我妈妈也冷静了 我 是不会去校园招聘的
and I started off with the idea which I had.
我开始实现我的想法
And my co-founder was a great hacker,
我的一个共同创办人是一个厉害的黑客
also from… the same campus.
也是来自同一个学校
He used to know people by their IP address
他往往是通过IP地址认识别人
and not by their names.
而不是通过名字
[laughing]
[大笑]
So it’s like we meet somebody at the cantine,
这就像我们和某人在餐馆碰面
and after some time, he realizes oh that was 10.5.
过了一会儿 他意识到 噢 那个人是10.5
So, we once went to an organization to conduct an ethical hacking exercise.
我们曾到某机构去进行道德黑客活动
So ethical hacking exercises, something where the organizations invite experts
所谓道德黑客活动 就是该机构邀请专家
to come down and test how secure is their system.
来测试他们的系统有多安全
Are there any flaws? How could they be broken?
那里有漏洞吗?它们是怎么被打破的?
And how they could be fixed.
要怎么去修补它们呢
So, we went to this organization,
于是 我们去了那家机构
and we broke almost every part of the network.
几乎破坏了网络的每个部分
We got the CEO’s password.
我们获取了CEO的密码
We got into the finance system. We got into the HR system.
我们进入他们的财务系统 人力资源系统
Back then, hacking was very easy.
那时候 入侵是很容易的
And, while we were presenting that report to their management,
当我们跟他们的管理层作汇报的时候
we got an idea.
我们有了一个想法
We thought maybe we could have tried a different way to break into.
也许我们能用另外一种方法入侵
So at the end of the presentation
所以在汇报的最后
we went and told them that can we try once more?
我们问他们说 可以再试一次吗?
And they said, “Okay, go ahead and try
他们说 “好吧 那就试试吧
any… anyway you guys have broken.”
反正你们已经破解了”
So, we went and tried. And that thing worked.
于是 我们去试了 那方法成功了
And that was like a moment of truth for us.
那就像是我们的关键时刻
And we asked ourselves that when we, as ethical hackers or penetration testers,
我们问自己 当我们作为道德黑客或入侵的测试者
when we try to break into a system
当我们试着入侵一个系统
and find out the flaws,
并找到它的漏洞
once we get success, do we try as hard as we were trying before
一旦成功了 我们还会像之前那样努力尝试
to find the second way of breaking into, and the third ,
来找第二种入侵的方法吗 然后第三种
and the tenth, and the hundredth?
第十种 甚至第一百种吗?
The answer is obviously no, because we will
答案显然是不会的 因为
lose the interest after some time as human beings.
时间一长人就会对此失去兴趣
So we realized that
所以我们意识到
the ethical hacking model doesn’t really solve the purpose.
道德黑客模式不能真正达成目标
Because for the guy who has to secure,
因为对于安全系统的所有者
he or she has to block all the possibilities of attacks,
他(她 )必须阻止一切被攻击的可能性
but the guy who is going to break, has to find only one.
而攻击者只要找到一处漏洞就可以了
So we thought what could we do?
于是我们就想我们可以做什么?
And just some time back,
在那之前一段时间
I did my course on artificial intelligence,
我上过一个人工智能的课程
so we thought can we do something
我们想我们是否可以做一些事
to figure out the permutations and combinations of attack parts?
来计算出攻击方法的排列组合?
So we started using planning algorithms
我们开始设计运算法则
and started working on this problem.
开始解决这个问题
And what we figured out a little bit later was
不久 我们计算出的结果是
that this was a very very hard problem in computer science.
这真是计算机科学的一个非常非常难的问题
The space complexity is very high.
它的空间复杂度非常高
With conventional computers,
用传统的计算机
you cannot solve this in a reasonable timeframe.
你不能在合理的时间表内解决这个问题
But we figured out certain ways to solve that.
但我们想出了解决办法
And once we did that,
自从我们那样做了
we started getting a lot of awards
我们获得了很多奖项
from Intel, University of California Berkeley,
它们来自于英特尔 加州大学伯克利分校
Red Herring, etc., etc.
《红鲱鱼》等等
So we were super excited.
我们超级兴奋
But then, after a while,
但是马上 过了一会儿
we… had our second moment of truth.
我们 碰到了我们的第二个关键时刻
And what we realized was that we were getting more awards than business.
我们意识到我们获得了更多奖项而不是生意
So we were thinking what’s happening? Are these people crazy?
于是我们考虑发生了什么?这些人疯了吗?
They’re giving us so many awards, but nobody is buying this.
他们给我们很多奖项 却没有人来和我们谈生意
So we started thinking about what the real problem is,
我们开始思考真正的问题是什么
and what we figured out was that organizations, even though they love this idea,
我们想到的是 那些机构尽管喜欢我们的想法
they did not have people to run these tools.
他们却没有人来操作这些工具
So we thought then how do we solve this?
于是我们想该如何解决这个问题?
And then we thought let’s post this online,
然后我们想就把它发布到网上吧
and we can run this tool for them.
我们可以为他们操作这个工具
Let’s operate as a service.
让我们将它作为一种服务
And then, one of the guys in our company,
然后 我们公司的一个人
he came up and told me, “Bikash, you know what?
他过来跟我说 “Bikash 你知道吗?
There’s something called SaaS, Software as a Service.”
有个叫SaaS的软件 就是服务软件的缩写”
And I went and looked. Okay, that sounds cool.
我过去看了看 好吧 它听起来很酷
Let’s call ourselves SaaS.
我们就叫自己SaaS吧
And that became something interesting
之所以那会成为有趣的事
because we had a very interesting technology
是因为我们有非常有趣的技术
we used to call like AI-based technology to simulate a human hacker.
我们曾用基于人工智能的技术来模拟人类黑客
Then we had a lot of awards, and now, all of a sudden
我们获得了很多奖项 现在 突然
we got a business-friendly tag called SaaS.
我们有了一个商务友好标识叫SaaS
And we got lucky.
我们很幸运
We raised 4 million dollar venture capital fund.
我们获得了四百万美元的风险投资基金
And that was a great moment. We were all very happy,
那是一个美好的时刻 我们都非常开心
and I… a call to my mom
我 打电话给我妈妈
and share this weird news.
跟她分享这不可思议的消息
So I called up my mom and told my mom we got 4 million dollars.
告诉妈妈 我们获得了四百万美元
On the other side, there was a long silence.
电话那边是很长的沉默
And then she said,
然后她说
“Why will somebody give you so much of money?
“为什么有人会给你们那么多钱?
There must be something wrong.”
那一定有问题”
[laughing]
[大笑]
[clapping]
[鼓掌]
And she told me careful.
她叫我要当心
So indeed, I have to be very careful after we raised this 4 million dollars
事实上 当我得到四百万美元后我是要很小心
but for a completely different reason.
而是为了一个完全不同的原因
After a while,
过了一段时间
we started getting some moderate success.
我们开始获得了一定的成功
We started getting some customers.
我们开始有顾客了
But then, what we realized was
但是然后 我们发现
that we were solving a problem of network security.
我们正在解决的是一个网络安全问题
And we realized that eventually,
但最后我们发现
network penetration testing is going to become less and less important.
网络入侵测试变得越来越不重要了
What’s becoming more important is the application security,
应用安全变得更为重要
All this online websites,
包括所有这些网页
e-commerce portal, banking applications,
电子商务门户网站 银行应用程序
and it’s a different problem.
这是另外一个问题
So we then decided to shift
于是我们决定转型
from this network security testing to application security testing.
从这种网络安全测试转到应用安全测试
And that was the right move for us.
那是正确的改变
And that actually helped us in terms of scaling.
事实上 那是帮我们完成所谓的扩展
We went ahead and got more than 500 enterprise customers.
我们沿着这条路前行 并获得了五百多家企业客户
We, sometime back, around 4 months back,
我们 过去 大约4个月前
we got acquired by a company.
我们被一家公司收购了
So overall that has just… to kind of arrive at the success
所以总的说来 取得了一定的成功
Now if we look at this journey,
现在如果我们回顾这段旅程
is this journey a search for an idea?
这是寻找一个想法的一段旅程吗?
Obviously, it looks like, right?
显然 它好像是 对吧?
It’s like a search for an idea.
它像是在寻找一个想法
We started with an idea….
我们从一个想法开始……
phase 2 of an idea, move to phase 3,
到想法的第二阶段 再到第三阶段
and when we move to phase 3,
当我们到第三阶段时
that’s when we got some success.
那就是我们成功的时候
So, initially I thought so.
所以 最初我就是这么想的
It took me like 5 or 6 years to realize
但我花了大概5 6年才意识到
that it was actually not a journey of search for an idea.
它并不是一段寻找想法的旅程
It was something else.
它是另外的东西
It was the search for the problem.
它是寻找问题的旅程
And this had been one of the very big realizations which I had in my life.
这是我人生中很重要的一个发现
In our…
在我们……
In our entire education system, or even in our society,
在我们整个教育系统甚至是我们社会
we love people who solves great problems, right?
我们喜欢解决伟大问题的人 对吗?
We don’t like people who comes up and points or finds problem.
我们不喜欢哪些跑来指出问题和找问题的人
We love solving problems.
我们喜欢解决问题
That’s what we are taught at various institutes.
那就是各种教育机构教我们的
But what we don’t learn is how to find problems.
但是我们没学到的是怎样去发现问题
And finding problems is a different kind of hard.
发现问题是另一桩难事
It’s a different kind of skills, and one needs to learn that.
它是另一种技能 一个人需要去学习它
Unfortunately, our society, our education system
不幸的是 我们的社会 我们的教育系统
does not promote problem finding that much.
并不怎么鼓励发现问题
We all know this gentleman, right?
我们都认识这位先生 对吗?
We all want to be a hero.
我们都想成为英雄
And we all worship hero.
我们都崇拜英雄
But in the entire story of a hero what we miss out is the villain.
但整个英雄故事里我们最容易忽视的就是恶人
To make a great hero, you need a great villain.
其实要想成就一个大英雄 必须要有一个大恶人
Without a great villain, you don’t have a hero.
没有大恶人 也就没有英雄
So next time, when you have a great idea, you should think twice.
所以以后 你如果有个很好的想法 你应该再想想
Is this idea solving a great problem?
这个想法是否能解决伟大的问题?
Are people really worried about that problem?
人们是不是真的担心那个问题?
Or is it you who is excited about the problem?
还是 只是你自己为这个问题激动?
Are people really excited about that problem?
人们真的为那个问题激动吗?
And if you find out that great problem,
如果你发现了那样伟大的问题
you can say, “Eureka!
你可以说 “我找到啦!
I found a great problem.”
我发现了一个伟大的问题”
So if you want to be a hero
所以你想成为一个英雄
you have to find your villain,
你需要先找到你的恶人
and that’s very very important.
那是非常非常重要的
There is no great idea without a great problem.
没有伟大的问题就没有伟大的想法
So we should stop looking for ideas,
我们不要寻找想法了
and start looking for great problems.
我们应该开始寻找伟大的问题
Because it’s not the idea… but the problem that matters.
因为 不是想法而是问题更重要
Thank you.
谢谢
[clapping]
[鼓掌]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

印度理工学院毕业的精英Bikash通过自身创业的亲身经历阐述了创业之初失败的根本原因是创业想法。这个想法不应该是凭空出现的,而是在发现重要问题的时候形成的,这样才是有意义的,有可能成功的。有此还反思了我们的教育体系和我们的社会存在的问题。教育理念应当转变,应该教人们怎么去发现问题而不只是单纯的解决问题。

听录译者

思琦

翻译译者

scabious

审核员

审核员LJ

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqNGbgDqx7s

相关推荐