ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

为什么美国人在周二投票? – 译学馆
未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

为什么美国人在周二投票?

Why do Americans vote on Tuesdays?

(音樂)
(Music)
我想來告訴大家一段美國歷史
I want to tell you all about a piece of American history
这是个秘密
that is so secret
所以從來沒人研究過它
that nobody has done anything about it
就這樣過了167年
for 167 years
直到現在
until right now.
而我們用來揭秘這段美國歷史的方法
And the way that we’re going to uncover this vestigial organ of America past
就是問:為什麼?
is by asking this question: Why?
我們都知道
As we all know,
(笑聲)
(Laughter)
現在又一屆的總統選舉正如火如荼
we’re in the middle of yet another presidential election,
如各位所見,煙硝味很重
hotly contested, as you can see.
但大家可能不知道,美國的投票率
But what you may not know is that American voter turnout
在世界排名上是墊底的
ranks near the bottom of all countries in the entire world,
172國裡排第138
138th of 172 nations.
這可是世界第一的民主國家耶
This is the world’s most famous democracy.
所以
So!
到底我們為什麼訂週二為投票日?
Why do we vote on Tuesday?
有人知道嗎?
Does anybody know?
其實密西根和亞利桑那州是今天投票
And as a matter of fact, Michigan and Arizona are voting today.
答案是:
Here’s the answer:
沒有為什麼
absolutely no good reason whatsoever.
我可不是在說笑
I’m not joking.
你們找不到答案的
You will not find the answer
獨立宣言裡沒提
in the Declaration of Independence,
憲法裡也沒說
nor will you find it in the Constitution.
這一切只因1845年的一則笨條文
It is just a stupid law from 1845.
(笑聲)
(Laughter)
1845年時,美國人交通都靠馬車
In 1845, Americans traveled by horse and buggy.
所以很顯然
As did I, evidently.
去趟省城投票往往得花個一、二天
It took a day or longer to get to the county seat to vote,
而且安息日(週日)又不能遠遊
a day to get back, and you couldn’t travel on the sabbath.
所以就訂週二投票囉
So, Tuesday it was.
我不常駕馬車出遊
I do not often travel by horse and buggy,
我想你們多半也不常吧
I would imagine most of you don’t either,
所以當我發現這個解釋時,我覺得很妙
so when I found out about this, I was fascinated.
於是組了個叫「為何是週二」的團體
I linked up with a group called — what else? — Why Tuesday?
去尋訪一些國內頗有名望的政治人物
to go and ask some of our nation’s most prominent elected leaders
看他們知不知道這個問題的答案:
if they knew the answer to the question,
「為什麼訂週二為投票日?」
"Why do we vote on Tuesday?"
(影片)Rick Santorum: 有人知道嗎?
(Video) Rick Santorum: Anybody know?
好吧,儘管很冒昧:有人知道我們為何選在週二投票嗎?
OK, I’m going to be stumped on this. Anybody know why we vote on Tuesdays?
您知道嗎?
Interviewer: Do you happen to know?
Ron Paul:週二嗎?
Ron Paul: On Tuesdays?
11月的第一個週二
Interviewer: The day after the first Monday in November.
我不清楚起源是什麼
RP: I don’t know how that originated.
您知道我們為何選在週二投票嗎?
Interviewer: Do you happen to know why we do vote on Tuesday?
Newt Gingrich: 不知道
Newt Gingrich: No.
Dick Lugar: 不清楚
Dick Lugar: No, I don’t.
Dianne Feinstein: 不知道
Dianne Feinstein: No.
Darrell Issa: 不知道
Darrell Issa: No.
John Kerry: 老實說,我不太知道為什麼
John Kerry: In truth really, I’m not sure why.
(笑聲)
(Laughter)
這些可是為選舉日而活的人呢
JS: These are people that live for election day,
但他們都不知道為什麼我們訂那天為投票日
yet they don’t know why we vote on that very day.
Chris Rock (著名喜劇演員)說:那些人不希望大家去投票
Chris Rock said, "They don’t want you to vote.
否則不會訂週二為投票日
If they did, we wouldn’t vote on a Tuesday in November.
你在週二開過party嗎?
Have you ever thrown a party on a Tuesday?
當然沒有,因為沒人會來。
No, of course not. Nobody would show up."
(笑聲)
(Laughter)
現在是很酷的部分了
Here’s the cool part.
因為我們問了「為何是週二」這個問題,現在有個「週末投票」的提案了
Because we asked this question, "Why Tuesday?" there is now this bill, the Weekend Voting Act,
就在美國國會裡
in the Congress of the United States of America.
如果通過就能把投票日改到週末
It would move election day from Tuesday to the weekend,
這樣一來 – 還用說嗎 – 更多人就能投票啦
so that — duh — more people can vote.
(掌聲)
(Applause)
不過過了167年而已
It has only taken 167 years,
但我們總算要開始改變
but finally we are on the verge of changing
美國歷史了。謝謝各位
American history. Thank you very much.
(掌聲)
(Applause)
謝謝
Thanks a lot.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述
听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

收集自网络

审核员

自动通过审核

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WvoGlQ7zH8

相关推荐