未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

为什么要离家探险?

Why bother leaving the house? | Ben Saunders

I essentially drag sledges for a living,
因为我主要靠拉雪橇为生
so it doesn’t take an awful lot to flummox me intellectually,
所以拼智力的话我肯定会落下风
but I’m going to read this question from an interview earlier this year:
但我还是要读一下今年早些时候的某次采访中的一个问题:
“Philosophically, does the constant supply of information steal our ability to imagine
“从哲学上来讲 源源不断的信息是否偷走了我们的想象力
or replace our dreams of achieving?
或者取代了我们的成功梦?
After all, if it is being done somewhere by someone,
毕竟 倘若某个人在某地做的事情
and we can participate virtually,
我们都可以感同身受地参与的话
then why bother leaving the house?”
那为何要费劲离开家呢?
I’m usually introduced as a polar explorer.
别人通常介绍我是一名极地探险家
I’m not sure that’s the most progressive or 21st-century of job titles,
我不确定它是否是21世纪最前卫的工作头衔
but I’ve spent more than two percent now of my entire life
因为我目前的整个生活中2%以上的时间
living in a tent inside the Arctic Circle,
都是在北极圈内的一个帐篷里度过的
so I get out of the house a fair bit.
所以我不常待在家里
And in my nature, I guess, I am a doer of things
我想 我天生是个行动派
more than I am a spectator or a contemplator of things,
而并非旁观者或沉思者一类的人
and it’s that dichotomy, the gulf between ideas and action
我将尝试并简要探索这种分歧
that I’m going to try and explore briefly.
即思想和行动之间的鸿沟
The pithiest answer to the question “why?”
“为什么要离开家”这个问题
that’s been dogging me for the last 12 years
纠缠了我12年
was credited certainly to this chap, the rakish-looking gentleman
而最好的答案是这位站在后排左边数第二位的
standing at the back, second from the left, George Lee Mallory.
神情潇洒的先生 George Lee Mallory
Many of you will know his name.
你们肯定有很多人认识他
In 1924 he was last seen disappearing into the clouds near the summit of Mt. Everest.
1924年他消失在珠穆朗玛峰峰顶附近的云雾里 从此杳无音讯
He may or may not have been the first person to climb Everest,
无法确定他是否为第一个登顶珠穆朗玛峰的人
more than 30 years before Edmund Hillary.
比埃德蒙·希拉里还早了30年
No one knows if he got to the top. It’s still a mystery.
没人知道他是否登顶 这至今还是个谜
But he was credited with coining the phrase, “Because it’s there.”
但提到他就不得不提这句话“因为它就在那儿”
Now I’m not actually sure that he did say that.
我也不确定他有没有说过这句话
There’s very little evidence to suggest it,
并没有确凿证据可以证明
but what he did say is actually far nicer,
但可以确定他说过更棒的话
and again, I’ve printed this. I’m going to read it out.
我把它打印了出来 念给你们听
“The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this:
你们会问 而我必须要回答的第一个问题是
What is the use of climbing Mt. Everest?
登珠穆朗玛峰有什么用?
And my answer must at once be, it is no use.
我一定会立马回答:“毫无用处”
There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever.
它不会带来哪怕一丝好处
Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes,
我们或许可以研究人在高海拔会有什么反应
and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation,
医学人士或许可以借助观察结果解释航空学问题
but otherwise nothing will come of it.
但除此之外毫无用处
We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, and not a gem, nor any coal or iron.
我们不能带回哪怕一点金银珠宝和煤铁
We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food.
也找不到一块土地 可以种地收粮
So it is no use.
所以登珠穆朗玛峰没用
If you cannot understand that there is something in man
如果你不能明白 人就是有种执念
which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it,
要挑战这座高山 要走出去与它相见
that the struggle is the struggle of life itself
这种斗争就是生活本身的斗争
upward and forever upward,
向上 永远向上
then you won’t see why we go.
那么你就不明白我们为什么要登山
What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy,
这趟旅程带给我们的是纯粹的快乐
and joy, after all, is the end of life.
毕竟快乐才是生活的最终目标
We don’t live to eat and make money.
我们活着不是为了吃饭挣钱
We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life.
我们吃饭挣钱是为了享受生活
That is what life means, and that is what life is for.”
这才是生活的意义 是生活的目的
Mallory’s argument that leaving the house,
Mallory认为离开家
embarking on these grand adventures is joyful and fun,
踏上辉煌征程 充满着趣味欢乐
however, doesn’t tally that neatly with my own experience.
但这与我自己的经验并不完全相符
The furthest I’ve ever got away from my front door was in the spring of 2004.
我离家最远的一次发生在2004年春天
I still don’t know exactly what came over me,
我仍然不知道自己为什么会突发奇想
but my plan was to make a solo and unsupported crossing of the Arctic Ocean.
但我计划着要单枪匹马地穿越北冰洋
I planned essentially to walk from the north coast of Russia to the North Pole,
我计划着要从俄罗斯北海岸徒步走到北极
and then to carry on to the north coast of Canada.
然后再出发去加拿大北海岸
No one had ever done this. I was 26 at the time.
这件事史无前例 我当时26岁
A lot of experts were saying it was impossible,
很多专家告诉我这根本不可能完成
and my mum certainly wasn’t very keen on the idea.
我妈妈对此也不太感兴趣
[Laughter]
[笑声]
The journey from a small weather station on the north coast of Siberia
我从西伯利亚北部海岸的一个小气候站出发
up to my final starting point,
到达我最终的起点
the edge of the pack ice, the coast of the Arctic Ocean,
即北冰洋海岸的浮冰区边缘地带
took about five hours,
花了大约五个小时
and if anyone watched fearless Felix Baumgartner going up,
如果你见过无畏的菲利克斯·鲍姆加特纳升上太空
rather than just coming down, you’ll appreciate the sense of apprehension,
而不仅仅是他的纵身一跳 就一定能体会到恐惧的感觉
as I sat in a helicopter thundering north,
那时我坐在轰鸣在北方高空的直升机里
and the sense, I think if anything, of impending doom.
我想那一定是末日来临的感觉
I sat there wondering what on Earth I had gotten myself into.
我坐在那里 心里想着 我到底给自己惹了什么麻烦
There was a bit of fun, a bit of joy.
有点儿有趣 也有点儿快乐
I was 26. I remember sitting there looking down at my sledge.
我26岁 记得当时我坐在那儿 低头看着我的雪橇
I had my skis ready to go, I had a satellite phone,
滑雪板已经准备就绪 我有一台卫星电话
a pump-action shotgun in case I was attacked by a polar bear.
一杆连发猎枪 在北极熊来袭时能派上用场
I remember looking out of the window and seeing the second helicopter.
记得我看向窗外 看到了另一架直升机
We were both thundering through this incredible Siberian dawn,
我们轰鸣在西伯利亚上空 划过壮美的黎明
and part of me felt a bit like a cross between Jason Bourne and Wilfred Thesiger.
一部分的我像是杰森·伯恩和威弗瑞·塞西格的合体
Part of me felt quite proud of myself,
另一部分的我为自己自豪
but some mostly I was just utterly terrified.
但更多的是彻底的恐惧
And that journey lasted 10 weeks, 72 days.
这趟旅程历经10周 72天
I didn’t see anyone else. We took this photo next to the helicopter.
期间没遇见过其他人 我们在直升机旁拍了这张照片
Beyond that, I didn’t see anyone for 10 weeks.
除此之外 整整10周 我没看到任何人
The North Pole is slap bang in the middle of the sea,
北极恰好位于大海中央
so I’m traveling over the frozen surface of the Arctic Ocean.
所以我穿行在北冰洋表面的冰层
NASA described conditions that year as the worst since records began.
美国国家航空航天局称当年的情况是有史以来最恶劣的
I was dragging 180 kilos of food and fuel and supplies, about 400 pounds.
我拉着180公斤重的食物和400磅的燃料供给
The average temperature for the 10 weeks was minus 35. Minus 50 was the coldest.
10周里平均温度零下35度 最冷的时候能达到零下50度
So again, there wasn’t an awful lot of joy or fun to be had.
所以再说一遍 真的没有什么值得开心的事儿
One of the magical things about this journey, however,
但这段旅行最神奇的一件事是
is that because I’m walking over the sea,
因为我走在北冰洋的海面上
over this floating, drifting, shifting crust of ice that’s floating on top of the Arctic Ocean
走在漂浮 移动 漂流着的坚硬冰面上
is it’s an environment that’s in a constant state of flux.
那是一个不断流动的世界
The ice is always moving, breaking up, drifting around, refreezing,
冰面在移动 在破碎 在漂流 在重新结冰
so the scenery that I saw for nearly 3 months was unique to me.
所以这三个月来我看到的景色是独一无二的
No one else will ever, could ever, possibly see the views,
任何人都没有见过 也不可能将会见到
the vistas, that I saw for 10 weeks.
那10周里我见到的景色
And that, I guess, is probably the finest argument for leaving the house.
我想 这也许就是离家的最好理由
I can try to tell you what it was like,
我可以尽量向大家形容那种景象
but you’ll never know what it was like,
但你永远都不会知道
and the more I try to explain that I felt lonely,
我越是想表达我的孤单
I was the only human being in 5.4 million square-miles,
我是方圆540万平方英里内唯一的人类
it was cold, nearly minus 75 with windchill on a bad day,
天气很冷 风寒指数接近零下75度 天气很糟糕
the more words fall short, and I’m unable to do it justice.
语言越发匮乏 而我也无法准确地形容
And it seems to me, therefore, that the doing, you know,
因此对于我来说
to try to experience, to engage, to endeavor,
比起旁观和空想
rather than to watch and to wonder,
我是在体验 在参与 在拼搏
that’s where the real meat of life is to be found,
这样才能发现生活的真谛
the juice that we can suck out of our hours and days.
从日常点滴之中汲取生活的意义
And I would add a cautionary note here, however.
但是 我还要提出一个警告
In my experience, there is something addictive about tasting life
以我的经验来看 人们对于在极限状态下体验人生
at the very edge of what’s humanly possible.
总会有些上瘾
Now I don’t just mean in the field of daft macho Edwardian style derring-do,
我指的不仅是爱德华七世时期盛行的愚蠢的大男子主义的大胆行径
but also in the fields of pancreatic cancer,
还包括患胰腺癌之类的
there is something addictive about this,
这是会让人上瘾的东西
and in my case, I think polar expeditions are perhaps not that far removed from having a crack habit.
拿我自己来说 我认为极地探险与毒瘾并没有什么太大区别
I can’t explain quite how good it is until you’ve tried it,
我无法解释这种感觉有多好 你必须要亲自体验
but it has the capacity to burn up all the money I can get my hands on,
但这事儿也有代价 我花光了储蓄
to ruin every relationship I’ve ever had,
断了所有感情
so be careful what you wish for.
所以行事要三思
Mallory postulated that there is something in man
Mallory推测 人类内心有种坚持
that responds to the challenge of the mountain,
想要去回应高山的挑战
and I wonder if that’s the case whether there’s something in the challenge itself, in the endeavor,
我在想是否是挑战本身 努力的过程
and particularly in the big, unfinished, chunky challenges
尤其是人类所面临的巨大的 未尽的 棘手的挑战
that face humanity that call out to us,
呼唤着人们去迎战
and in my experience that’s certainly the case.
以我的经验来看 确实如此
There is one unfinished challenge
在我成年后的大部分岁月里
that’s been calling out to me for most of my adult life.
有一项未完成的挑战在呼唤着我
Many of you will know the story.
你们很多人大概都知道这个故事
This is a photo of Captain Scott and his team.
照片上的是Scott船长和他的团队
Scott set out just over a hundred years ago
100年前 Scott踏上征途
to try to become the first person to reach the South Pole.
试图成为登陆南极第一人
No one knew what was there. It was utterly unmapped at the time.
人们对那里一无所知 无人踏足过那片土地
We knew more about the surface of the moon
人类对月球表面的了解
than we did about the heart of Antarctica.
都比对南极洲中心的了解要多
Scott, as many of you will know,
Scott 如你所知
was beaten to it by Roald Amundsen and his Norwegian team,
被罗阿尔德·阿蒙森和他的挪威团队捷足先登了
who used dogs and dogsleds.
他们用的是狗和狗拉雪橇
Scott’s team were on foot, all five of them wearing harnesses and dragging around sledges,
斯科特的团队是徒步 五名队员穿着护具 拉着雪橇
and they arrived at the pole to find the Norwegian flag already there,
到了南极之后才发现那里已经插上了挪威的国旗
I’d imagine pretty bitter and demoralized.
我能想象到他们当时他们有多痛苦多沮丧
All five of them turned and started walking back to the coast
五名队员掉头返回海岸
and all five died on that return journey.
全部在归途中丧生
There is a sort of misconception nowadays
人们现在有种误解
that it’s all been done in the fields of exploration and adventure.
认为探险事业已经没什么新奇的了
When I talk about Antarctica, people often say,
当我谈起南极洲 人们总会说
“Hasn’t, you know, that’s interesting, hasn’t that Blue Peter presenter just done it on a bike?”
“你知道吗 真有意思《蓝彼得》的主持人不是刚骑车去过南极吗?”
Or, “That’s nice. You know, my grandmother’s going on a cruise to Antarctica next year.
或者是 “真棒 你知道吗 我祖母打算明年乘船去南极洲
You know. Is there a chance you’ll see her there?”
你说 你们有可能在那儿碰面吗?”
[Laughter]
[笑声]
But Scott’s journey remains unfinished.
但是Scott的旅程还没结束
No one has ever walked from the very coast of Antarctica to the South Pole and back again.
没人曾成功徒步往返于南极洲边际的海岸与南极之间
It is, arguably, the most audacious endeavor
可以说 这是爱德华时代的
of that Edwardian golden age of exploration,
探险的黄金时代最大胆的一次尝试
and it seemed to me high time,
在我看来 正是时候
given everything we have figured out in the century since
想想本世纪人类的成就
from scurvy to solar panels,
从坏血病到太阳能板
that it was high time someone had a go at finishing the job.
如果有人想要探索南极 现在正是时候
So that’s precisely what I’m setting out to do.
所以 这正是我在做的事情
This time next year, in October, I’m leading a team of three.
明年十月 我会带领一个三人小队
It will take us about four months to make this return journey.
花4个月的时间走完这趟往返旅程
That’s the scale. The red line is obviously halfway to the pole.
请看比例图 显然这条红线代表往返南极的半程
We have to turn around and come back again.
我们必须折返 踏上返程
I’m well aware of the irony of telling you that we will be blogging and tweeting.
告诉大家 我们会发博客 发推特 我知道这很讽刺
You’ll be able to live vicariously and virtually through this journey
你们将以一种前所未有的方式
in a way that no one has ever before.
感同身受并且真实地走完这段旅程
And it’ll also be a four-month chance for me
同样对于我来说 通过这四个月的旅程
to finally come up with a pithy answer to the question, “Why?”
我有机会找到答案 很好地回答 “为什么”这个问题
And our lives today are safer and more comfortable than they have ever been.
我们如今的生活比过去更安全 更舒适
There certainly isn’t much call for explorers nowadays.
当然也就不需要更多的探险者
My career advisor at school never mentioned it as an option.
我读书时期的职业顾问从来没提过探险者会是一种职业选择
If I wanted to know, for example, how many stars were in the Milky Way,
例如 如果我想知道银河系有多少颗星星
how old those giant heads on Easter Island were,
复活岛上的巨石像存在了多少年
most of you could find that out right now without even standing up.
在场很多人甚至都不用站起来就能马上找到答案
And yet, if I’ve learned anything in nearly 12 years now of dragging heavy things around cold places,
但是 如果说这12年里在冰天雪地里拉重物 我学到了什么
it is that true,
那一定是
real inspiration and growth only comes from adversity and from challenge,
真正的鼓舞和成长来源于逆境和挑战
from stepping away from what’s comfortable and familiar and stepping out into the unknown.
来源于远离熟知的舒适区 迈步踏进未知
In life, we all have tempests to ride and poles to walk to,
在生活中 我们都要经历狂风暴雨 走过坎坷
and I think metaphorically speaking,
比方说
at least, we could all benefit from getting outside the house a little more often,
只要我们鼓起勇气多出去看看
if only we could summon up the courage.
那我们就都能从中受益
I certainly would implore you to open the door just a little bit
我真心希望你们能走出去哪怕一小步
and take a look at what’s outside.
去看看外面的世界
Thank you very much.
谢谢
[Applause]
[掌声]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

习惯了安逸与舒适,就勇敢的迈出家门,去探险,去经历,去体会。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

退而拥你

审核员

审核员CR

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jBB5iibKy0

相关推荐