未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

如何走进阅读?

What to Do If You Hate Reading

I’ve got a question from a reader a few days ago
几天前有个读者问我一个问题
that I really want to address.
正是我想要好好聊的问题
I really want to read more books,
我真的想多读些书
but I dislike reading.
但又真心不喜欢阅读
What do I do?
我该怎么办?
And as somebody who definitely enjoys reading,
作为一个非常喜欢阅读的人
but also who has gone through periods of life
同时也经历过一些
where reading hasn’t been the biggest thing that I want to do,
不太想阅读的时期
I wanted to address this question,
我想回答一下这个问题
especially since the answer is very simple and very easy
尤其是答案很简单也很容易
First thing you’re gonna want to do
你要做的第一件事就是
is read Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kaheman.
读丹尼尔·卡尼曼的《思考 快与慢》
It’s a very, very light, easy ,breezy read,
这是一本让你读起来非常轻松 容易 如沐春风的书
only about 497 pages of research findings,
是仅仅约497页的研究成果
and after that you’re gonna want to follow things up
读完这本书后 你会想继续阅读
with The Owner’s Manual for the Brain by Pierce J. Howard Phd.
皮尔斯 J 霍华德博士的《大脑的使用手册》
Again, an easy read, only about 1,097 pages,
同样 这本书读起来也很简单 只有大约1097页
and once you read these two books, you are going to understand your brain,
一旦你读了这两本书 你就会理解你的大脑
you are going to be able to change it on command,
甚至可以改变自己的思维方式
and just tell yourself to like reading.
告诉自己喜欢阅读
Sound good? Alright, video over.
听起来不错?好的 视频结束
Okay.
开玩笑的
I do kind of wish that I could end the video like that,
我当然想就这样结束这个视频
because it would be pretty funny.
因为这会很有趣
But as it turns out, I do have some actual tips that will be helpful.
但事实证明 我的确有些实用的小提示可以帮到你
If you want to become the kind of person who likes to read,
如果你想成为喜欢阅读的那类人
or at least the kind of person who doesn’t absolutely dislike reading,
或者至少成为不是完全讨厌阅读的那类人
and who can get through the occasional book once in a while.
并且偶尔还能和某本书产生共鸣
So let’s get into it.
那就接着看下去吧
So the first thing that I want to mention here,
首先我想声明一点
which is something that comes from my own personal experience,
以下内容都是基于我的个人经验
is that reading is a habit that gets easier to do,
那就是阅读是一种习惯 你越投入
and more pleasant to do the more you do it.
就读得越起劲 读得越开心
A couple of years ago, I made a bet with my friend Martin that I was gonna read 25 pages a day,
几年前 我和我的朋友马丁打了个赌 我将一天读25页书
every single day for three entire months,
每天如此 持续整整三个月
and to really force myself to stick to this bet.
为了迫使自己遵守赌约
I told him I was gonna give him $ 100
我告诉他 我会给他100美元
if I failed to read those 25 pages even once.
如果我没能做到日读25页 少一天都不行
and during the first month, sticking to that goal was difficult.
在第一个月期间 坚持目标很困难
And the threat of losing that money, and being embarrassed was my main motivator,
怕输钱和怕被嘲笑是我坚持下去主要的动力
but about a month into the challenge,
但是当这项挑战进行了大约一个月时
I started to notice something profound,
我开始察觉到事情有了变化
which was that I found it easier to start reading,
我发现阅读变得容易起来
and I also found it easier to keep reading for longer, and longer periods of time.
我还发现保持更长时间的阅读变得更容易做到
So I discovered through this challenge,
因此 通过这次挑战我发现
that reading is very akin to working out actually.
阅读实际上非常类似于锻炼
When you start doing it, it’s very tiring. It’s exhausting, it’s not a lot of fun,
刚开始 的确很累人 令人疲倦又不太有趣
but when you get into the habit of doing it,
但当你养成了习惯
it gets easier to do, and it gets more enjoyable.
它就变得更容易 并且更令人愉快
That being said, I’m not just gonna leave you off the tip to brute force a reading habit by making a bet with a friend,
注意了 我并非要你以和朋友打赌的粗暴方式来养成阅读习惯
because there are definitely some other things you can do,
因为肯定有其它你可以采用的方法
one of which being to start with material that’s easier to get through,
其中之一就是从较容易读进去的材料开始
and I do have a few suggestions.
我有几条建议
So on the really easy end of things are comic books.
最简单易读的就是漫画书
and stick with me, even if you’re not typically into comic books,
听我说 即使你并不是个漫画迷
because these can really help you get into the habit of reading overall.
因为这样真的可以帮助你完全养成阅读习惯
Comic books are number one, usually very easy to finish in one sitting.
漫画书是首选 通常非常简单 一口气就可以读完
And issue of a comic book is not very long.
漫画书的篇幅不太长
And because of all the art on the page,
因为配图几乎占了全部页面
there’s really not a whole lot of room for a ton of text.
所以几乎没有完整的大空间来容纳大量的文字
Now if you walk into your average comic store,
现在如果你走进一家普通漫画书店
you’re gonna see a lot of stuff on the shelves,
书架上各式各样的漫画书会让你眼花缭乱
and you’re probably not going to know where to start.
你很可能不知道从哪本开始
So let me give you a couple of recommendations here.
所以在这里我给大家推荐几本
First and foremost, I’m going to recommend the Avatar Last Airbender comic series,
首先 我要推荐《阿凡达:最后的气宗》漫画系列
which actually pick up right where the series left off.
实际上这是阿凡达系列的续集
Avatar is one of my favorite TV shows of all time.
阿凡达一直是我最喜欢的电视剧之一
If you haven’t watched it, you probably should.
如果你没有看过它 那你应该看看
And the comic series is just as good as the television series, so that would be a great place to start.
并且漫画系列和电视剧一样好看 因此它会是个好的起点
Also, there was an app called Comixology,
还有一个叫Comixology的应用
which I believe is owned by Amazon now,
我想现在是属于亚马逊
and they have a ton of different comics for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, lots of Manga as well.
上面有大量来自漫威 DC 黑马公司的漫画 还有许多日本漫画
And one thing that I discovered after I went and watched Alita Battle Angel in the theaters,
在我去电影院看了 《阿丽塔:战斗天使》
and wanting to read the Manga afterwards,
想看这部漫画后
is that you can get a free 30 day trial with basically unlimited reading
我发现使用这个应用 可以得到免费试用30天的不限量阅读体验
without even putting a credit card into the app.
甚至不需要绑定信用卡
So that’s a great way to at least start doing things.
因此这是一个非常好的开始方式
You didn’t have to go to a comic book store, and buy paper comics.
你不必去漫画书店购买纸质漫画
You can just read them on your computer,
仅仅在电脑上就可以阅读
and that can get you into the habit of reading.
这会让你养成阅读习惯
You don’t even have to stick with comics afterwards.
你以后当然不必继续读漫画
It just builds that habit.
它只是用来培养习惯的
Now, if comics just aren’t your thing,
现在 如果你不太喜欢漫画
there are definitely other options out there that don’t come with a whole lot of pictures,
肯定有其他的 不含大量图片的书可选择
one of which being short story anthologies.
其中之一就是短篇小说选集
So one of the things that I have found has been sort of a roadblock to getting back into my reading habit at times,
我发现了一个总拦在我回归阅读习惯之路的障碍
is the fact that books are usually very long.
就是书籍通常篇幅太长
And if I stop in the middle of a book, I often feel like I have to go back,
如果在书的一半处停下来 我常不由自主往回翻
and read the entire thing again just to figure out where I was, and that can be discouraging.
甚至重读整本书才能找到上次读到哪里 这让人沮丧
So the great thing about short story anthologies is that again,
所以短篇小说选集的好处就是
you can sit down, and you can usually finish an entire story in one sitting.
你可以坐下来 一下子读完一个完整的故事
And that feeling of accomplishment, that feeling of sitting down,and finishing something
那种成就感 那种坐下来一气呵成的感觉
can encourage you to keep reading in the future.
会鼓励你在未来继续读下去
Now just as with comics, there are a ton of short story anthologies out there,
和漫画书一样 短篇小说选集也浩如烟海
and you might not know where to start.
你可能不知从何开始
So I do want to give you at least one recommendation in this video,
所以我想在这个视频中至少给你推荐一本
that is going to be for the anthology called Rogues,
那就是短篇集《无赖》
which was edited by George RR Martin,
它由乔治·RR·马丁主编
and which actually contains a brand new Game of Thrones story
它实际上还包含了全新的《权力的游戏》故事
alongside other stories by authors like Patrick Rothfuss, and Neil Gaiman.
以及其他由作者帕克罗克·罗斯福斯和尼尔·盖曼写的作品
And again, just like with comics,
同样 就像漫画书一样
treat these as an entry point to building your reading habit.
把这些作为培养你阅读习惯的切入点
You don’t have to always stick to short story anthologies, or comic books.
你无需一直读短篇小说集或者漫画书
They can just get you back into that daily habit of reading books,
它们会带你回归日常的阅读习惯
and then you can move on to bigger, and possibly better things,
这样你就可以转向更宏大 更优秀的作品
one of which would be fiction books that are still novels,
其中就有仍属于小说类的小说书
but that are written for easier consumption.
但是这些作品为轻松消遣而作
So the one book that comes to mind for this tip is The Hunger Games,
说到这 首先映入我脑海的就是《饥饿游戏》
because a few years ago I remember reading an article by the blogger, Jeff Goines
因为几年前 我记得读过博主杰夫·戈因斯的一篇文章
about why The Hunger Games was so successful.
关于《饥饿游戏》如此成功的原因
And one of his main arguments is that the book uses very short packed sentences.
他的主要观点之一就是本书多使用短句
It doesn’t use crazy frilly prose.
而没有使用华而不实的散文
It’s kind of written for today’s more easily distractable audience.
这简直就是为如今注意力更易分散的读者量身而写
Here’s just a quick snippet of what he said about her writing.
下面是他对作者写作风格的简短评论
Collins writes short sentences that pack a punch.
科林斯的短句精炼有力
They are disturbingly terse, like a Hemingway novel.
它们简洁得令人不安 就像海明威的小说
This way of writing builds the suspense,
这种写作方式制造悬念
which works perfectly with the culture addicted to constant interruptions.
与当前“持续打扰瘾”的文化现象完美契合
Now, some people might interpret that as a criticism against her writing,
现在有些人可能把这理解为对她写作的批评
but I see it a little bit differently.
但是我持一点不同的看法
Yes, it’s not the most amazing prose ever written. It’s not War and Peace.
的确 它不是史上最惊艳的文章 它不是《战争与和平》
But Suzanne Collins knows her audience,
但是苏珊娜·科林斯了解她的读者
and she knows that choosing to write in this way
她知道选择以这种方式写作
is gonna help them get through the books more clearly, and keep coming back for more.
将帮助读者更清晰地走进书本 且回味无穷
And to a somewhat lesser degree,
对稍低级别的读者
I’ve noticed this in the books that I’ve had an easier time getting through as well.
我也注意到我读这些书更容易读进去
For example, I binge read the entire Miss Bourne series
比如 我狂读的《伯恩小姐》全系列
by Brandon Sanderson, and while that series is amazing,
由布来登·桑德森所著 这个系列很精彩
the writing is little less complex than other series
它的写作没有其他系列复杂
like The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss,
像帕特里克·罗斯福斯的《风之名》
or especially Anathem by Neal Stephenson,
特别是尼尔·史蒂芬森的《走出围墙》
both authors that I really, really enjoy,
这两位作家我都非常非常喜欢
but who have had a little bit of a harder time getting into than with Sanderson’s work.
但是他们的作品都比桑德森的难读些
Now, I do want to stress that I’m not advocating you avoid more complex books,
我特别想强调 我并非倡导大家避开更难的书
but if you are the kind of person who believes that you dislike reading,
但如果你是那种确信自己厌恶阅读
or the kind of person you has been out of the habit of doing it for a while,
或是那种做事三分钟热度的人
starting with easier, or more digestible books is again,
那么 从较简单的或更容易上手的书籍开始
a way of building that habit, building that base,
确实是养阅读习惯 打阅读基础的方法
and once you have that base, then you can branch out into the more difficult material,
一旦你有了基础 你就可以扩展到更复杂的材料
and in addition to that more difficult material,
并且除了那些更复杂的材料
realize that you could also branch out to areas that you don’t think at first glance are for you.
你还能延伸到你最初从未想到过的领域
For instance, young adult novels, or middle grade fiction novels.
比如青少年小说或者中篇小说
I remember a few years ago, I was on goodreads.com,
我记得几年前使用goodreads网站时
and I noticed that Patrick Rothfuss,
我注意到了帕特里克·罗斯福斯
the author of The Name of The Wind, and Wise Man’s Fear had reviewed,
即《风之名》和《智者的忧虑》的作者给予
and given five stars to a children’s book
一部儿童文学书五星好评
called The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.
该书名为《坐自制船环游仙境的女孩》
and due to his positive view, I went and read the book,
由于他看好这本书 我就去读了
which I found to be fantastic.
然后发现特别好看
I also found it to be full of a lot of vocab words that I did not understand,
同时我也发现里面充满了许多我不认识的单词
so, not quite sure how this made it into the children’s categorization,
因此 我不确定为什么这本书被归为儿童读物
but that should just be more evidence that books that are considered to be for children,
但是后来更多证据表明这本被视为儿童读物
or for teenagers might be for you as well.
或者青少年读物的书可能也适合你们
The categorization is to help people who are in those groups
分类是为了帮助处于某一群体的人
to find more things they might like to read, or that might be at their level,
找到更多他们可能喜爱的或适合他们水平的读物
but it is not meant to exclude people who are outside of those groups.
但是这并不意味着将不属于该群体的人排除在外
So from all that, I want to move on to talking about something
那么综上所述 我接下来想谈一下
which may potentially have killed your love of reading at an early age,
一件潜在的可能在早年扼杀了你阅读兴趣的事
and you might be able to guess what it is, because it’s school.
你大概能猜到它是什么 那就是学校
I remember back when I was in high school,
回想我高中时
I used to have English classes, and composition classes,
我常常上英文课和写作课
and reading classes where I was assigned reading,
在阅读课上 老师会布置阅读任务
sometimes fiction reading where we were assigned specific chapters every single week.
有时 老师会要求我们每周读某本小说的指定几章
And were actively discouraged from reading ahead.
而且不鼓励提前读完的做法
Now I get what the teachers were trying to do.
现在我理解老师们这样做的目的了
They were trying to keep the entire class at the same pace.
他们想让全体同学保持同样的进度
But here’s the thing, if you have 50 kids in the classroom,
但是问题在于 如果教室有50个学生
not every single one of them is going to fit into this same exact specific mode for how they should learn to read.
不是每个学生都会适合这种精确到具体章节的阅读模式
And yes, we should be teaching people how to read analytically, how to critically think.
诚然 我们应该教大家如何分析性阅读和批判性思考
But more importantly we should be teaching a love of reading.
但是更重要的是 我们要教人们热爱阅读
So if your experiences in school made you kind of not like reading like they did for me in certain cases,
因此 如果你的在校经历如我一般 使你在某些情形下不喜欢阅读
then realize that there are other ways of reading,
你可以找到其他的阅读方法
and the way they force you to read in school
他们在学校强迫你读书的方法
isn’t the way that you have to read yourself.
你并不一定非要照做
So give it a try again.
因此重新尝试阅读吧!
And one last, but important tip that I want to share here,
最后我想分享一个非常重要的提示
which I think is gonna apply to a lot of you,
我认为它会适用于你们大多数人
because it definitely applies to me,
因为它极其适合我
and it definitely applies to my best friend Martin, who helped me write this video,
同时也极其适合我最好的朋友马丁 也就是帮助我录制这个视频的人
is to ditch your TBR, your to be read list, if it is becoming an obligation.
那就是:摆脱你所谓的“必读书单” 如果它已成为负担
I know that on many occasions in the past
我知道过去常有这种情况
I have seen a really interesting book on the bookstore shelf or a library shelf
我在书店或图书馆的书架上看到非常有趣的书
and thought I really want to read that
非常想读一读
but I’ve already got a bunch of books on my to be read list
但是我的必读书单里已经放了太多书
over on good reads that I got to read first.
想读的好书被压在了必读书后面
So I dutifully put that book on the bottom of the list,
所以我尽职地把那本书放在了书单的最底部
and then proceed to, of course never read it.
最后 当然是束之高阁
So instead of doing that,
所以为了这样的事不再重演
instead of holding yourself to this really nonessential obligation to go through books
为了不让你背负这种没必要的读书义务
in the order in which you discovered them,
以你发现它们的顺序来读书
follow your interest, if something looks really interesting right now,
就跟随你的兴趣 如果手头有一本非常有趣的书
then pursue it, read that book now,
那么就拿起它 现在就开始读吧
and go to the TBR later. Don’t put it at the bottom.
以后再去看你的必读书单 不要把它放在最后
You have to remember that interest is really tied up in emotion,
你必须牢记兴趣跟情绪息息相关
and emotions are really tied up in the moment,
而情绪又和此时此刻息息相关
and it’s kind of a delusional belief to think that you can just put a book on a to be read list,
有些人不切实际地认为 只要你把书添加进必读书单
and conjure that same level of interest, that same level of emotional attachment later on
以后就会有同样的阅读兴趣和情感依恋
when you get down to that position on the list.
当你正式从书单位置开始阅读时
So realize that while the TBR concept is not inherently bad thing,
你必须得知道 必读书单并非一定就是坏事
and that it can be useful in some circumstances,
在某些情况下它是有用的
it can really hinder your emotional attachment to things that you are interested in right now,
它真的会限制你对当下感兴趣事物的迷恋
and if that’s the case, then you should probably ditch it at least temporarily.
如果你属于这种情况 你可能应该暂时把它搁置
Now, earlier in the video we talked about how starting with bite sized content,
视频一开始 我们提到了怎样从简单的内容开始
comic books, short story anthologies, things like that
漫画 短篇小说选集 诸如此类
can really help you to graduate to the more in depth, and lengthy books out there.
可以真正帮助你逐渐转变到阅读更有深度和长度的书籍
And this is a concept that doesn’t just apply to reading books.
这个概念不仅适用于读书
It can apply to everything.
它能适用于任何事
For instance, if you want to learn math, or science,
例如 如果你想学数学或科学
or you want to get better at solving complex problems,
或者你想变得擅长解决复杂的问题
a great way to get yourself into the habit of doing that
能够让你养成这种习惯的很棒的方法就是
is by starting with bite sized problems.
从一些易于解决的问题入手
Things that you can solve in five minutes, or 10 minutes,
有些事你可以在五分钟或者十分钟内解决
and that is exactly what you can do with the daily challenges feature on Brilliant.
那就是每天在Brilliant上做些小任务
Every single day they publish new problems
每天网站都会发布新问题
in math, science, and computer science that you can sink your teeth into,
有数学 科学以及计算机科学相关的新问题, 你可以全神贯注
that you can solve in five, or 10 minutes,
花5到10分钟去解决它们
and that might possibly pique your interest in a new subject that you haven’t considered before,
这很可能激起你对于之前从未考虑过的新问题的兴趣
and once that flame of interest is lit, you’ll be happy to know
一旦兴趣的火苗被点燃 你会开心地发现
that the Brilliant also has a ton of in depth courses that you can use to continue learning,
在Brilliant上有海量的 有深度的课程可供你继续学习
ranging from calculus to math for quantitative training in finance
范围从微积分到金融定量训练数学
to gravitational physics, to python programming,
到重力物理学 Python编程
to computer algorithms, and much, much more.
到计算机程序法等等很多课程
The best part is that Brilliant builds all of their courses,
最重要的是Brilliant构建了所有课程
and their daily challenges with the principle of active learning in mind,
他们的日常任务可以让你在学习时保持思维活跃
you’re not just gonna be sitting there passively intaking material the entire time.
你不是终日被动地坐在那里吸收知识
You’re gonna be actively encouraged to solve problems on your own,
而会是受到鼓励 积极地自主解决问题
and, because their bite sized, when you get stuck, which will happen from time to time,
由于这些问题比较小 每当你时而不时被难住时
you’re gonna easily be able to go find the information you need
你可以很容易地搜寻到需要的信息
possibly from their very in depth, and detailed wiki with lots of concept explanations, and example problems.
可能来源于社群 有深刻详细的概念解释 还有例题
You’re gonna be able to find that information, come back, and solve the problems with minimal frustration.
你能够在找到信息后回来 不费吹灰之力地解决问题
Now with Brilliant free tier you get new daily challenges every single day,
现在有了Brilliant这个免费学习网站 你每天都会有新的学习任务
along with access to that wiki, and their community discussion area, where you can talk with lots of other learners.
你还可以登录社群 在讨论区和其他学习者一起交流
And if you do decide to go for their premium subscription,
如果你愿意订阅会员服务
you also get access to the entire daily challenges archive along with full access to all their in depth courses.
你还有机会接触到更多的日常挑战和更有深度的课程
So if you wanna start learning for free today,
那么如果你想从今天起开始免费学习
and building that learning habit, and growing it in the future,
培养学习习惯 并在未来持续成长
then head over to brilliant.org/ThomasFrank to get started.
那就登录brilliant.org/ThomasFrank网站开始学习吧
And if you’re one of the first 83 people to use that link and signup,
如果你是前83位注册并使用该网站的人
you’re also gonna get 20 % off your annual premium subscription.
你还将获得 20%的会员年费折扣
Big thanks as always, Brilliant for sponsoring this episode and being supporters of my channel.
感谢Brilliant一直以来对视频的赞助 以及对我的频道的支持
And also thanks to you for watching.
同时也感谢您的收看
If you enjoyed this video, maybe give it a like to support this channel,
如果你喜欢这个视频 那就请点赞支持这个频道
also click right there to subscribe so you don’t miss out on future videos.
点击那里订阅 以免错过之后的节目
You can also click right there,
你也可以点击那里
and get a free copy of my book on how to earn better grades.
免费下载我的关于如何拿到高分的书
Click right here to get one more video on this channel,
点击这里就可以看到我的其他视频
or check out our latest podcast episode right over here.
还可以查看我们最新的播客片段
Thanks again for watching, and I will see you in the next one.
再次感谢你们的观看 我们下个视频再见

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

阅读习惯如何养成?主持人托马斯侃侃而谈,共甩出七条温馨提示。如何摆脱阅读课童年阴影、告别三分钟热度,走进阅读、体会阅读、享受阅读?打开视频,听托马斯指点迷津。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

YXG136******89

审核员

审核员XY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRoWGVbvAdc

相关推荐