未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

是什么使你与众不同?

What makes you special? | Mariana Atencio | TEDxUniversityofNevada

Thank you so much.
非常感谢大家
I am a journalist.
我是一名新闻工作者
My job is to talk to people from all walks of life,
我的工作是和来自全世界
all over the world.
各领域的人交谈
Today, I want to tell you
今天 我想告诉你们
why I decided to do this with my life and what I’ve learned.
我决定做这行的原因和我从中学到的东西
My story begins in Caracas, Venezuela,
我的故事开始于委内瑞拉的加拉加斯
in South America, where I grew up;
在南美 我长大的地方
a place that to me was, and always will be,
一个对我来说永远是
filled with magic and wonder.
充满魔力和奇迹的地方
Frоm a very young age,
从我很小的时候开始
my parents wanted me to have a wider view of the world.
我的父母就希望我能对世界有更广阔的认知
I remember one time when I was around seven years old,
我记得有一次大概在我七岁时
my dad came up to me and said,
我爸爸走向我并对我说
“Mariana, I’m going to send you and your little sister…”
“玛丽娜 我打算送你和你的妹妹……”
– who was six at the time –
–妹妹那时六岁–
“…to a place where nobody speaks Spanish.
“去一个没有人说西班牙语的地方
I want you to experience different cultures.”
我想要你们去体验不同的文化”
He went on and on about the benefits of spending an entire summer
他不停说着在这个美国的夏令营
in this summer camp in the United States,
度过整个夏天的好处
stressing a little phrase
并且强调了一些
that I didn’t pay too much attention to at the time:
我那时并没有太过关注的句子
“You never know what the future holds.”
“你永远不会知道未来会发生什么”
Meanwhile, in my seven-year-old mind,
同时 在七岁的我的脑海中
I was thinking, we were going to get to summer camp in Miami.
我想的是 我们将要去参加在迈阿密的夏令营
(Laughter)
(大笑)
Maybe it was going to be even better,
可能它将会更好
and we were going to go a little further north, to Orlando,
我们也许会去有点远的北方 去奥兰多
where Mickey Mouse lived.
米老鼠居住的地方
(Laughter)
(大笑)
I got really excited.
我相当激动
My dad, however, had a slightly different plan.
然而 我父亲有一个略微不同的计划
Frоm Caracas, he he sent us to Brainerd, Minnesota.
他把我们从加拉加斯送到明尼苏达州的布雷纳德
(Laughter)
(大笑)
Mickey Mouse was not up there,
米老鼠不在那里
(Laughter)
(大笑)
and with no cell phone, no Snapchat, or Instagram,
并且没有电话 没有Snapchat 或Instagram
I couldn’t look up any information.
我无法得知任何信息
We got there,
我们到达了那里
and one of the first things I noticed
我首先注意到的事之一
was that the other kids’ hair was several shades of blonde,
是其他小孩的头发是金黄色的
and most of them had blue eyes.
并且他们中的大多数有着蓝眼睛
Meanwhile, this is what we looked like.
与此同时 这是我们看起来的样子
The first night, the camp director gathered everyone around the campfire
第一天晚上 营地负责人将所有人聚集在营火旁
and said,
并且说
“Kids, we have a very international camp this year;
“孩子们 今年我们有一个非常国际化的夏令营”
the Atencios are here from Venezuela.”
这对姐妹来自委内瑞拉
(Laughter)
(大笑)
The other kids looked at us as if we were from another planet.
其他小孩儿打量着我们 仿佛我们来自其它星球
They would ask us things like,
他们问我们一些事像
“Do you know what a hamburger is?”
“你们知道汉堡是什么吗?”
Or, “Do you go to school on a donkey or a canoe?”
或者“你们是骑驴或划独木舟去上学的吗?”
(Laughter)
(大笑)
I would try to answer in my broken English,
我试着用我结结巴巴的英语回答
and they would just laugh.
然后他们就哈哈大笑
I know they were not trying to be mean;
我知道他们不是想要刻薄地对待我们
they were just trying to understand who we were,
他们只是想试着了解我们是什么样的人
and make a correlation with the world they knew.
然后和他们所知的世界进行联系
We could either be like them,
(他们认为)我们要么像他们一样
or like characters out of a book filled with adventures,
要么像一本充满冒险的书里的人物一样
like Aladdin or the Jungle Book.
就像阿拉丁或奇幻森林
We certainly didn’t look like them,
我们看起来确实不像他们
we didn’t speak their language,
我们不会说他们的语言
we were different.
我们是不同的
When you’re seven years old, that hurts.
在你七岁的时候 这会使你感到受伤
But I had my little sister to take care of,
但是我得照顾我的妹妹
and she cried every day at summer camp.
她在夏令营的每一天都会哭
So I decided to put on a brave face,
因此我决定装出一副勇敢的样子
and embrace everything I could about the American way of life.
并且欣然接受任何我可以做到的美国人的生活方式
We later did what we called “the summer camp experiment,”
我们之后完成了被我们叫做“夏令营体验”的事
for eight years in different cities that many Americans haven’t even heard of.
在许多甚至美国人都没听说过的城市待了八年
What I remember most about these moments was when I finally clicked with someone.
我对这些瞬间记忆最深的便是我最后和别人打成一片的时候
Making a friend was a special reward.
交到一个朋友就是一个特别的奖励
Everybody wants to feel valued and accepted,
每个人都希望自己是有价值并且被接纳的
and we think it should happen spontaneously, but it doesn’t.
并且我们认为这应该是自然而然发生的 但是它并不是
When you’re different, you have to work at belonging.
当你是异类的时候 你不得不为了归属感而努力
You have to be either really helpful, smart, funny,
你也必须是有用的 聪明的 有趣的
anything to be cool for the crowd you want to hang out with.
任何对你想要融入的群体来说是出色的东西
Later on, when I was in high school,
之后 当我读高中时
my dad expanded on his summer plan,
我父亲拓展了他的暑假计划
and from Caracas he sent me to Wallingford, Connecticut,
他把我从加拉加斯送到了康乃狄克州的瓦林福德
for the senior year of high school.
来上高中
This time, I remember daydreaming on the plane
这次 我还记得在飞机上做梦
about “the American high school experience” – with a locker.
关于“在美国上高中的经历”
It was going to be perfect,
它将会很完美
just like in my favorite TV show: “Saved by the Bell.”
就像我最喜欢的电视综艺“紧急救援”
(Laughter)
(大笑)
I get there, and they tell me
我到了这里 然后他们告诉我
that my assigned roommate is eagerly waiting.
分配好的室友已经在急切地等着我了
I opened the door,
我推开了门
and there she was, sitting on the bed,
她就在那儿 坐在床上
with a headscarf.
戴着头巾
Her name was Fatima, and she was Muslim from Bahrain,
她叫法迪玛 是来自巴瑞的穆斯林教徒
and she was not what I expected.
并且她并不像我所期望的那样
She probably sensed my disappointment when I looked at her
在我看着她时她可能感觉到了我的失望
because I didn’t do too much to hide it.
因为我没有太过掩饰
See, as a teenager, I wanted to fit in even more,
看 作为一个青少年 我想要更高大上的东西
I wanted to be popular,
我渴望被欢迎
maybe have a boyfriend for prom,
可能还有一个陪我参加舞会的男友
and I felt that Fatima just got in the way
而我觉得法迪玛的害羞 和严格的穿衣准则
with her shyness and her strict dress code.
就是个障碍
I didn’t realize that I was making her feel
我没有意识到我使她感觉到了
like the kids at summer camp made me feel.
夏令营的孩子让我感到的那样
This was the high school equivalent of asking her,
这相当于在问她
“Do you know what a hamburger is?”
“你知道汉堡是什么吗?”
I was consumed by my own selfishness
我的内心被自私充斥了
and unable to put myself in her shoes.
并且无法换位思考
I have to be honest with you,
我必须对你们说实话
we only lasted a couple of months together,
我们只一起度过了几个月
because she was later sent to live with a counselor
因为她后来被分去和一个辅导员一起住
instead of other students.
而不是和其他学生
I remember thinking, “Ah, she’ll be okay.
我记得我曾想过 “她将会很好
She’s just different.”
她只是与众不同”
You see, when we label someone as different,
你们看 当我们把一些人贴上与众不同的标签时
it dehumanizes them in a way.
在某种程度上就是将他们排除在外
They become “the other.”
他们变成了“其他人”
They’re not worthy of our time, not our problem,
他们不值得我们花费时间 不是我们的问题
and in fact, they, “the other,” are probably the cause of our problems.
事实上 他们 “其他人” 才可能是造成我们的麻烦的原因
So, how do we recognize our blind spots?
因此 我们怎样才能认识到我们的盲区呢?
It begins by understanding what makes you different,
首先要通过接纳这些特质
by embracing those traits.
明白是什么使你不同
Only then can you begin to appreciate what makes others special.
只有这样你才能开始欣赏别人特别的地方
I remember when this hit me.
我记得当我突然意识到这个时
It was a couple months after that.
已经过去了几个月
I had found that boyfriend for prom,
我已经找到了参加舞会的男友
made a group of friends,
交到了一群朋友
and practically forgotten about Fatima,
并且已经基本上忘记了法迪玛
until everybody signed on to participate in this talent show for charity.
直到大家为了慈善报名参加这个才艺展示
You needed to offer a talent for auction.
你需要提供一项才艺来竞拍
It seemed like everybody had something special to offer.
似乎每个人都有特殊的东西来展示
Some kids were going to play the violin,
一些人打算拉小提琴
others were going to recite a theater monologue,
其他人打算背诵一段戏剧独白
and I remember thinking,
而我记得我在想
“We don’t practice talents like these back home.”
“我们在家里没有练习过这类才艺”
But I was determined to find something of value.
但是我决定找一些有价值的事物
The day of the talent show comes,
才艺展示的日子到了
and I get up on stage with my little boom box,
我带着我的小密封盒登上了舞台
and put it on the side and press “Play,”
把它放在了边上然后按下“播放”
and a song by my favorite emerging artist, Shakira, comes up.
一首出自我喜欢的当代艺术家夏克拉的歌播放出来
And I go, “Whenever, wherever, we’re meant to be together,”
然后我开始了 “无论何时 无论何地 我们都将会在一起”
and I said, “My name is Mariana, and I’m going to auction a dance class.”
然后我说道“我叫玛丽娜 我要为舞蹈班竞拍”
It seemed like the whole school raised their hand to bid.
似乎整个学校都举起了他们的手来竞标
My dance class really stood out
我的舞蹈班真的从
from, like, the 10th violin class offered that day.
那天的十个小提琴班中脱颖而出
Going back to my dorm room, I didn’t feel different.
回到我的宿舍 我没有感觉到不同
I felt really special.
我感觉相当奇妙
That’s when I started thinking about Fatima,
那是当我开始思考关于法迪玛的时候
a person that I had failed to see as special, when I first met her.
当我第一次与她相遇时 我没能注意到她的特殊之处
She was from the Middle East,
她来自中东
just like Shakira’s family was from the Middle East.
和夏克拉的家族一样来自中东
She could have probably taught me a thing or two about belly dancing,
她大概能教我一两样关于肚皮舞的东西
had I been open to it.
但我并不怎么在意
Now, I want you all to take that sticker
现在 我想要你们全部都拿出那张纸
that was given to you at the beginning of our session today,
那是在今天演讲开始的时候给你们的
where you wrote down what makes you special,
在上面你们写下了使你们特殊的东西
and I want you to look at it.
然后我想要你们看一看它
If you’re watching at home, take a piece of paper,
如果你正在家里观看 拿出一张纸
and write down what makes you different.
然后写下什么使你不同
You may feel guarded when you look at it,
当你们看它的时候你们可能会感到有所保留
maybe even a little ashamed, maybe even proud.
大概甚至会有点害羞 或者甚至会自豪
But you need to begin to embrace it.
但是你需要开始去接受它
Remember, it is the first step in appreciating what makes others special.
记住 它是欣赏他人的与众不同的第一步
When I went back home to Venezuela,
当我回到委内瑞拉时
I began to understand how these experiences were changing me.
我开始领会到这些经历是怎样改变我的
Being able to speak different languages,
能说不同的语言
to navigate all these different people and places,
找到正确方法处理不同的人和事
it gave me a unique sensibility.
它给了我一个独特的意识
I was finally beginning to understand
我最后开始去领悟
the importance of putting myself in other people’s shoes.
换位思考的重要性
That is a big part of the reason why I decided to become a journalist.
那是我决定成为一个新闻工作者的主要原因
Especially being from a part of the world that is often labeled “the backyard,”
尤其当我来自经常被贴上“后院”
“the illegal aliens,” “third-world,” “the others,”
“违法外星人”“第三世界”“其他人”等标签的那个世界
I wanted to do something to change that.
我想做一些事情来改变那个
It was right around the time, however,
并且这是很合适的时间
when the Venezuelan government shut down
当委内瑞拉政府关闭了
the biggest television station in our country.
我们国家最大的电视台
Censorship was growing,
审查越来越严
and my dad came up to me once again and said,
然而我爸爸再一次来找我并问道
“How are you going to be a journalist here?
“你是怎么想到去那里当新闻工作者的?
You have to leave.”
你必须离开”
That’s when it hit me.
当时就点醒了我
That’s what he had been preparing me for.
那是他一直以来为我准备的
That is what the future held for me.
给我的未来
So in 2008, I packed my bags, and I came to the United States,
因此在2008年 我打包了行李来到了美国
without a return ticket this time.
这次没有回程票
I was painfully aware that, at 24 years old,
我在24岁的时候伤心的意识到
I was becoming a refugee of sorts, an immigrant, the other,
我将要成为一个难民 或是移民
once again, and now for good.
又一次 直到永远
I was able to come on a scholarship to study journalism.
我获得了奖学金去学习新闻
I remember when they gave me my first assignment
我记得他们给我分配第一个任务是
to cover the historic election of President Barack Obama.
去采访创造了历史性的选举的奥巴马
I felt so lucky, so hopeful.
我感觉如此幸运 如此充满希望
I was, like, “Yes, this is it.
我好像感觉 “是的 就是这次了
I’ve come to post-racial America,
我来到了后种族主义的美国
where the notion of us and them is being eroded,
我们与他们的区别正在逐渐消减
and will probably be eradicated in my lifetime.”
并且可能在我有生之年被彻底消除”
Boy, was I wrong, right?
好吧 我想错了 是吧?
Why didn’t Barack Obama’s presidency alleviate racial tensions in our country?
为什么巴拉克·奥巴马的任期没有减轻我们国家种族间的紧张关系
Why do some people still feel threatened
为什么一些人还会觉得被
by immigrants, LGBTQ, and minority groups
移民 同志组织和少数党组织威胁
who are just trying to find a space
他们只是想在美利坚合众国寻找一些自己的空间
in this United States that should be for all of us?
而这个国家本来属于她所有的人民
I didn’t have the answers back then,
那时我并没有一个答案
but on November 8th, 2016,
但是在2016年11月8日
when Donald Trump became our president, it became clear
当唐纳德·特朗普成为我们的总统 它变得清楚了
that a large part of the electorate sees them as “the others.”
一大部分候选人把他们视为“其他人”
Some see people coming to take their jobs,
一些人看见别人来接替他们的工作
or potential terrorists who speak a different language.
或者将讲不同语言的人当作潜在的恐怖份子
Meanwhile, minority groups oftentimes just see hatred, intolerance,
与此同时 少数党组织经常只看到另一方的仇恨 不包容
and narrow-mindedness on the other side.
和狭窄的思维
It’s like we’re stuck in these bubbles that nobody wants to burst.
这就像我们被困在这些没有人希望爆裂的气球里
The only way to do it, the only way to get out of it
唯一能做的 唯一能从中逃离的方法
is to realize that being different also means thinking differently.
就是认识到我们的不同 也意味着换一个方式思考
It takes courage to show respect.
它需要勇气来表达尊敬
In the words of Voltaire:
如伏尔泰所说的
“I may not agree with what you have to say,
我可能不会认可你说的话
but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.”
但是我将会抵死抗争来捍卫你说话的权利”
Failing to see anything good on the other side
不能从另一个角度看到任何好的事物
makes a dialogue impossible.
使得交流变得不可能
Without a dialogue, we will keep repeating the same mistakes,
没有交流 我们将会重复犯相同的错误
because we will not learn anything new.
因为我们没有学到任何新的东西
I covered the 2016 election for NBC News.
我为NBC新闻采访了2016年的选举
It was my first big assignment in this mainstream network,
它是我在这个主流的广播电台的第一个大任务
where I had crossed over from Spanish television.
我已经越过西班牙电视台
And I wanted to do something different.
并且我想要做一些不同的事情
I watched election results with undocumented families.
我和无证家庭一起观看了选举
Few thought of sharing that moment with people who weren’t citizens,
只有少数人想和那些没有市民身份的人分享那一时刻
but actually stood the most to lose that night.
而那些没有合法身份的人在那天晚上也注定要失望
When it became apparent that Donald Trump was winning,
当唐纳德·特朗普明显赢了的时候
this eight-year-old girl named Angelina rushed up to me in tears.
一个叫安格丽娜的八岁女孩哭着冲向我
She sobbed, and she asked me if her mom was going to be deported now.
她抽噎着 问我她妈妈现在是否将要被驱逐出境
I hugged her back and I said, “It’s going to be okay,”
我拍拍她的背说“一切都会好的”
but I really didn’t know.
但是我真的不知道
This was the photo we took that night, forever ingrained in my heart.
这是我们那晚照的照片 永远留在我的心里
Here was this little girl
那是这个小女孩
who was around the same age I was when I went to camp in Brainerd.
和我当时去露营时的年纪差不多
She already knows she is “the other.”
她已经知道她是“其他人”
She walks home from school in fear, every day,
她每天从学校走回家时
that her mom can be taken away.
都会害怕她的妈妈会被带走
So, how do we put ourselves in Angelina’s shoes?
那么 我们怎样从她的角度考虑呢?
How do we make her understand she is special,
我们怎样让她明白她是独特的
and not simply unworthy of having her family together?
而非简单地不值得和她的家人在一起?
By giving camera time to her and families like hers,
通过给她和与她类似的家庭摄影
I tried to make people see them as human beings,
我试图让人们把他们视作同类
and not simply “illegal aliens.”
而不只是“不合法的外星人”
Yes, they broke a law, and they should pay a penalty for it,
是的 他们打破了法律 因此他们应该为它付出代价
but they’ve also given everything for this country,
但是他们也为这个城市付出了一切
like many other immigrants before them have.
就像在他们之前的许多其他移民者一样
I’ve already told you how my path to personal growth started.
我已经告诉你们我是怎样开始个人成长的
To end, I want to tell you how I hit the worst bump in the road yet,
在最后 我想告诉你们我是如何击破在路上最糟糕的阻碍的
one that shook me to my very core.
那震惊到了我的内心
The day, April 10th, 2014,
那天 2014年4月10日
I was driving to the studio, and I got a call from my parents.
我开车去电台 我接到了父母的来电
“Are you on the air?” they asked.
“你在飞机上吗?”他们问道
I immediately knew something was wrong.
我立刻知道出事了
“What happened?” I said.
“发生了什么?”我问道
“It’s your sister; she’s been in a car accident.”
“是你的妹妹 她出车祸了”
It was as if my heart stopped.
我的心脏似乎停止了跳动
My hands gripped the steering wheel,
我的双手紧握住了方向盘
and I remember hearing the words:
我记得我听到了
“It is unlikely she will ever walk again.”
“她不可能再走路了”
They say your life can change in a split second.
他们说你的生活会在一瞬中改变
Mine did at that moment.
而我的就在那一瞬
My sister went from being my successful other half,
我的妹妹从是我成功的另一半
only a year apart in age,
在短短一年间内
to not being able to move her legs,
就变成一个不能走路的人
sit up, or get dressed by herself.
也无法坐起来 无法给自己穿衣服
This wasn’t like summer camp, where I could magically make it better.
这不像夏令营 那时我还能神奇地让事情变得好些
This was terrifying.
这很可怕
Throughout the course of two years, my sister underwent 15 surgeries,
两年的治疗时间里 我的妹妹已经经受了15次外科手术
and she spent the most of that time in a wheelchair.
并且她的大部分时间都是在轮椅上度过的
But that wasn’t even the worst of it.
但那甚至还不是最坏的
The worst was something so painful, it’s hard to put into words, even now.
最坏的事是如此令人痛苦 直到现在都难以用言语表达
It was the way people looked at her,
那是人们看待她的方式
looked at us, changed.
看待我们的态度 改变了
People were unable to see a successful lawyer
人们不能看见一个成功的律师
or a millennial with a sharp wit and a kind heart.
或者千年难遇的智慧和一颗善良的心
Everywhere we went,
每个我们到达的地方
I realized that people just saw a poor girl in a wheelchair.
我意识到人们只看见那个轮椅上可怜的女孩
They were unable to see anything beyond that.
除此之外 他们再看不到什么
After fighting like a warrior,
在像一个勇士一样战斗过后
I can thankfully tell you that today my sister is walking,
我可以很感激地告诉你们今天我的妹妹已经可以走路了
and has recovered beyond anyone’s expectations.
并且已经恢复得超过了任何人的预想
(Applause)
(鼓掌)
Thank you.
谢谢
But during that traumatic ordeal,
但在那倍感伤害的痛苦经历中
I learned there are differences that simply suck,
我认识到一些差异确实很糟糕
and it’s hard to find positive in them.
并且很难从中找出积极的一面
My sister’s not better off because of what happened.
虽然事故使我的妹妹境况变差了一点
But she taught me: you can’t let those differences define you.
但是她教会我:你不能让那些差异去定义你自己
Being able to reimagine yourself beyond what other people see,
能够重新定义你自己 不管别人如何看你
that is the toughest task of all,
这是最艰难的任务
but it’s also the most beautiful.
但同时也是最美好的
You see, we all come to this world in a body.
你看 我们全部都以血肉之躯来到这世上
People with physical or neurological difficulties,
带有生理上的或精神上的困难的人们
environmentally impacted communities, immigrants, boys, girls,
有影响力的团体 移民 男孩和女孩
boys who want to dress as girls, girls with veils,
想要像女孩一样穿裙子的男孩 和戴着面纱的女孩
women who have been sexually assaulted,
被异性强奸的女性
athletes who bend their knee as a sign of protest,
弯下膝盖以示抗议的运动员
black, white, Asian, Native American, my sister, you, or me.
黑人 白人 亚洲人 美国本地人 我的妹妹 你 或我
We all want what everyone wants: to dream and to achieve.
我们和所有人想要的一样:去做梦并去实现
But sometimes, society tells us, and we tell ourselves,
但是有时 社会会告诉我们 我们也会告诉我们自己
we don’t fit the mold.
每个人都是与众不同的
Well, if you look at my story,
如果你看了我的故事
from being born somewhere different, to belly dancing in high school,
从出生在偏远的地方 到在高中鼓起勇气跳舞
to telling stories you wouldn’t normally see on TV,
再到讲述那些不常在电视上看到的故事
what makes me different
使我与众不同的
is what has made me stand out and be successful.
就是使我脱颖而出变得成功的
I have traveled the world,
我已经游遍了世界
and talked to people from all works of life.
和来自不同领域的人交谈
You know what I’ve learned?
你知道我学到了什么吗?
The single thing every one of us has in common is being human.
我们每个人都有的共同点就是我们都是人
So take a stand to defend your race, the human race.
因此站起来防卫你的种族 乃至全人类
Let’s appeal to it.
让我们呼吁它
Let’s be humanists, before and after everything else.
在任何一件事前后 让我们做人道主义者
To end, I want you to take that sticker, that piece of paper
最后 我想要你们拿起 那张纸
where you wrote down what makes you different,
写下的使你与众不同的地方
and I want you to celebrate it today and every day,
我想要你们在今天和每一天都庆祝它
shout it from the rooftops.
在屋顶上大声地喊出它
I also encourage you to be curious and ask,
我也鼓励你们变得好奇并且善问
“What is on other people’s pieces of paper?”
“在其他人纸上写的是什么?”
“What makes them different?”
“什么使他们不同?”
Let’s celebrate those imperfections that make us special.
让我们庆祝这些让我们特殊的不完美
I hope that it teaches you that nobody has a claim on the word “normal.”
我希望它能够教会你们在世界上没有绝对的“正常”
We are all different.
我们都是不同的
We are all quirky, and unique,
我们都是离奇的 独一无二的
and that is what makes us wonderfully human.
如此我们才成为不可思议的人类
Thank you so much.
非常感谢你们
(Applause)
(掌声)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

从她的故事中学习如何成长,如何学会忽略他人的眼光,坚定地做自己。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

审核员

译学馆审核团D

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5SatbZMAo

相关推荐