未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

当硅谷的技术专家为政府工作时会发生什么?

What happens when a Silicon Valley technologist works for the government | Matt Cutts

Hi everybody.
嗨 大家好
My name is Matt Cutts,
我是马特·卡兹
and I worked at Google for almost 17 years.
我在谷歌工作了将近十七年
As a distinguished engineer there,
作为那里的一位杰出工程师
I was pretty close to the top of the Silicon Valley ecosystem.
我曾经十分接近硅谷生态系统的顶层
Then I decided to follow some inspiring folks
随后我决定追随一些鼓舞人心的人
and do a short tour at the US Digital Service.
在美国数据服务中心开始一段短期工作之旅
That’s the group of geeks
正是这群技术客
that helped rescue HealthCare.gov when that website went down hard in 2013.
在2013年政府医保网站深陷风波时拯救了它
Yeah.
是的
So I signed up for a three-to-six-month tour,
我申请了一份三到六个月的工作
and almost three years later,
然而将近三年后
I’m still in Washington DC,
我仍然在华盛顿特区
working for the federal government,
为联邦政府工作
because the government really needs technologists right now.
因为政府现在确实需要技术人员
At my old job,
在我过去的工作中
every room had videoconferencing
每个房间都有视频会议设备
integrated with calendars,
与日程表紧密结合
power cables were built right into the furniture.
电缆直接内置于办公设施中
When I moved to a government agency,
当我进入政府部门工作时
I had to call a person to set up a phone conference.
开个电话会还得先找人帮忙设置
And when we moved to a new office,
我们最初搬到新办公室时
we didn’t have furniture for a while,
有段时间连办公设施都没有
so we set up the phone on a trash can.
所以我们在垃圾桶上装了一个电话
One of the things that surprised me,
无论我何时去华盛顿特区
whenever I moved to DC,
令我震惊的一件事是
is how much the government still has to deal with paper.
政府仍然要处理那么多纸质文件
This is a facility in Winston-Salem, North Carolina,
这是一个位于北卡罗来纳州 温斯顿-塞勒姆的机构
where people were worried
那里的人担心
that the building might be structurally unsound
该建筑也许会由于纸张过多 重量太大
from the weight of all that paper.
变得摇摇欲坠
Yeah.
没错
Paper has some downsides.
纸张存在一些缺陷
Here’s a pop quiz:
即兴提问环节:
If your last name starts with H or higher,
如果你的姓是由H或者H更后的字母开头
H or higher, would you raise your hand?
可以请这样的人举起手吗?
Wow.
哇哦
I have some bad news:
我有一些坏消息:
Your veteran records
你的退伍军人记录
might have been destroyed in a fire in 1973.
也许已经在1973年的大火中被烧毁了
[Laughter]
[笑声]
Yeah.
是的 很遗憾
Paper processes are also slower and more prone to errors.
纸质文件的处理也更缓慢 而且更容易出错
If you’re a veteran
如果你是一位退伍军人
and you’re applying for your health benefits using a paper form,
你正在用纸质表格申请医疗福利
you might have to wait months for that form to be processed.
你可能要等上几个月 申请表才能被受理
We replaced that with a web form,
我们用网络表格替代了纸质表格
and now most veterans find out
现在 大部分退伍军人发现
if they can get access to their health benefits in 10 minutes.
他们申请的医疗福利10分钟内就能被处理好
[Applause]
[掌声]
Here’s another launch that I’m proud of.
这是另一个我引以为豪的平台
We worked with the Small Business Administration
我们与小型企业管理局合作
to move one of their systems from paper to digital.
对他们的系统之一进行数字化
So this is a picture from before,
这是那里以前的照片
and this is afterwards.
这是进行数字化之后的
Same cubicles, same people,
同样的隔间 同样的员工
just a better system for everyone.
不同的只是一个更好的系统 它惠及所有人
At one point, we wanted to celebrate modernizing a different system,
有一次 我们实现了另一个系统的现代化 想庆祝下
and so we went to a local grocery store
所以我们去了一家当地的食品杂货店
and we said, “Can you make a cake
问店员 “你可以做一个蛋糕
and decorate it with the form that we’ve digitized?”
并且用我们数字化的表格进行装饰吗?”
And the grocery store got really weirded out by that request.
店员明显对那个请求感到不可思议
They wanted a letter on official government letterhead.
于是他们想要一个有官方信头的说明信
Well, we work for the government,
既然我们为政府工作
so we wrote a letter that said,
就写了一封信 信里说
“You can use this public-domain form
“你可以在蛋糕上
on a cake for celebratory purposes.”
使用这个公共表格来庆祝”
[Laughter]
[笑声]
Which led to bad jokes about filling forms out in triplicake.
这就催生了在三层蛋糕上填写表格的冷笑话
Yes, dad jokes in government.
是的 政府里的老套无聊笑话
Now I’ve talked a lot about paper,
现在 我已经讲了很多关于纸张的事情
but we also bring up computer systems that go down.
但我们也改进了老旧的计算机系统
We bring in modern technology practices,
我们推行现代技术实践
like user-centered design and the cloud,
比如以用户为中心的设计和云端系统
and we also help improve procurement.
我们也帮助优化了采购系统
It turns out government buys software
我们发现 政府购买软件
the same way that it buys chairs and brownies and tanks:
和购买椅子 布朗尼蛋糕 坦克 用的是同一种方式
from government regulations that are over 1,000 pages long.
都要依据一千多页的政府法规
So yes, there’s some stuff that’s messed up in government right now.
所以是的 政府内的部分事务有些混乱
But if you think Silicon Valley is the savior in this story,
但如果你认为硅谷是这个故事中的救世主
[Laughs]
[笑]
you’ve got another thing coming.
那你就错了
Some of the best and brightest minds in technology are working on
一些最优秀最聪明的硅谷技术人才 正致力于:
meal-delivery start-ups
外卖初创公司
and scooters
小型摩托车
and how to deliver weed to people better.
以及如何更快更好地向顾客送去大麻
Is that really the most important thing to work on right now?
这些真的是现在技术人员工作的重中之重吗?
Silicon Valley likes to talk about making the world a better place,
硅谷的员工喜欢谈论让世界变得更好
but you feel your impact in a much more visceral way in government.
但在政府中 你能更真切地感受到自己的影响力
This is somebody whose dad passed away.
这位先生的父亲去世了
He hunted me down on Twitter
他在推特上@我
to say that a system that we had improved
说我们改进的一个系统
worked well for him during a tough time.
帮助他度过了非常艰难的一段日子
Those tough times are when government needs to work well
这些人的艰难时刻需要政府提供优质服务
and why we need innovation in government.
也是政府需要创新的原因
Now I have a confession to make.
现在我要坦白
When I came to DC,
当我刚来到华盛顿特区
I sometimes used words like “bureaucrat”.
有时会用“官僚主义者”这类词汇
These days,
而现在
I’m much more likely to use words like “civil servant”.
我更倾向于用“公务员”这类词汇
Like Francine, who can make you cry.
就像弗朗辛 她会让你们感动
Or at least, she made me cry,
至少她让我很感动
because she’s so inspiring.
因为她的所作所为是如此激励人心
I am also deeply, fiercely proud of my colleagues.
我也深深地 强烈地为我的同事们感到自豪
They will work through illogical situations
他们能解决各种不合常理的问题
and put in late nights to get to the right result.
为了得到正确结果夜以继日地工作
The government can’t pay huge salary bonuses,
政府无法支付高额的工资奖金
so we ended up making our own awards.
所以 我们会自己做一些奖品
Our mascot is a crab named Molly.
我们的吉祥物是一只叫莫利的螃蟹
And so that award is actually a crab-shaped purse,
我们的奖励实际上是一个固定在金属板上的
screwed into sheet metal.
螃蟹形钱包
These days, I believe less in silver bullets
现在 我越来越不相信有什么方案
that are going to fix everything.
能完美解决一切问题
I believe more
我更相信
in the people who show up to help.
愿意挺身而出 提供帮助的人
If you’re looking for something deeply meaningful —
如果你正在寻找一些有深刻意义的事情——
and full disclosure,
坦白地说
sometimes incredibly frustrating —
这些事有时又令人十分沮丧——
here’s what you need to know.
你需要知道下面这件事
There is something difficult and messy
在国家 州 城市层面
and vital and magical happening
当公务员与技术人员合作时
when civil servants partner with technologists at the city and state and national level.
会发生一些困难而棘手 但又重要而神奇的事
You don’t have to do it forever,
你不必终生从事公共服务
but you can make a difference in public service right now.
但你可以投身于此 发挥个人价值 就在此刻
Thank you.
谢谢
[Applause]
[掌声]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

前硅谷技术专家讲述为政府工作所带来的改变

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

煎蛋

审核员

审核员LJ

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQEC7DiPtI

相关推荐