未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

想真正成功吗?自我奋斗时不忘助他人一臂之力

Want to truly succeed? Lift others up while you climb | The Way We Work, a TED series

When it comes to our careers, the analogy we’ve been given is а ladder.
当谈到事业时 我们通常将其类比为梯子
We are climbing,climbing, climbing,
我们爬啊 爬啊 爬啊
seeing just how high we can get.
看看究竟能到多高
But if we want to be a part of organizations that are diverse and inclusive
但如果我们想成为多元且包容的组织中一员
and truly reflect the world that we live in,
并且该组织要真实反映我们生活的世界
that’s simply not enough.
那么向上爬还不够
While we climb, we also need to lift.
我们往上爬的同时 也需要支持他人
我们的工作方式
多宝箱的支持 让一切皆有可能
It’s no secret
众所周知
that our companies and organizations rarely have leadership teams
公司和组织中鲜有领导团队
that represent the communities they serve.
代表着他们所服务的群体
That makes them less effective in their work,
这使得他们工作效率不高
less innovative and less profitable too.
缺乏创新 而且效益也更低
We need more women steering the ship,
我们需要更多的女性掌舵
more people of color at the helm,
更多其他肤色的人掌权
more folks with disabilities in charge,
更多的残疾人执权
more immigrants setting the tone,
更多的移民定基调
more queer and trans folks calling the shots.
更多的同性恋和变性人做主
So whether you’re a new hire who’s a proud member of one or more of these groups
所以不管你是以上某个或多个群体中的一名自豪的新成员
or a longtime leader who is none of the above,
还是一名不属于以上任何群体的长期领导人
each of us has a role to play in making this happen.
我们每个人都有责任实现这一目标
Success is no longer about our individual ambitions,
成功不再是个人抱负
but about how we build something greater together.
而是如何共同创造更伟大的事物
My mother introduced me to this concept of lifting while you climb.
我母亲告诉我在追求自身事业时也要拉周围人一把
She was an absolute powerhouse in her work,
她在工作中绝对是个强者
and she spent so much of her time working with younger Black women
她花了很多时间与年轻的黑人女性一起工作
to help advance them, too.
也帮助她们进步
She would remind me
她会提醒我
that the point of success isn’t success for success’s sake.
成功的关键不是为了功成名就而去追求成功
She said that when you climb that ladder and you get to the top,
她说当你爬上梯子到达顶端时
you can take a moment to enjoy the view,
你可以花一点时间欣赏风景
but you must be principally concerned with using all of your might
但你必须想办法用尽全力
to throw the ladder back down for those who are coming behind you.
把梯子扔回给你身后还在爬的人
There’s no point in being the first if we’re also the last.
如果我们身后无人 那么成为第一也毫无意义
So here are three ways that all of us,
那么 以下有三种方法
whether you’re a first in your company or a part of a deep legacy,
无论你是公司首席 还是元老级人物
can embrace this spirit.
你们都可采用这种理念
One: question your surroundings.
一:对你周围的人持怀疑态度
One of the benefits,
特权的好处之一
and really the consequences of privilege,
即特权的影响
is being around people whose experiences mirror your own.
就是和你有着相同经历的人在一起
So when you’re at the table,
所以当你在会议桌上时
I want to ask you to really examine who’s there with you,
我想请你仔细看看你周围都有谁
and even more importantly,
更重要的是
who isn’t.
谁不在
Do you see women, people of color, people with disabilities,
你看到女性 有色人种 残疾人了吗
people who look like your customers, clients, patients and community?
看到那些像是你的客户 委托人 病人和同社区的人了吗
If not, I need you to ask why.
如果没有 我需要你问为什么
Calling it out matters.
说出来很重要
If we don’t name it, we can’t change it.
如果我们不说 我们就无法改变这个情况
Once you notice these disparities,
一旦你注意到这些区别对待的情况
let’s do something about it.
我们就做点什么吧
For example,
例如
we have a lot of data that women get interrupted
大量数据表明 女性在演讲时
during presentations more than men do.
相比男性 更容易被打断
So make counting this an activity that you try in meetings
因此 当你参加多人出席的会议时
where there’s multiple people presenting.
试着数一数这一情况有多少
Keep a tally:
做一个记录:
how often do women or nonbinary folks get interrupted,
女性或非二元性别人群被打断的频次是多少?
and how often are men getting interrupted?
而男性多久被打断一次?
Add up your tally at the end of the week,
周末统计一下之前的记录
and if you notice discrepancies,
一旦你注意到差异
talk about them.
就把它们说出来
Talk about them in the moment.
立刻就说
Address it in the meeting if you can.
如果可能的话 在会议上就说
Practice saying, “Hey Fred, I think you interrupted June.
试着说 “嘿 Fred 我认为你打断了June
June, can you repeat that?”
June 你能重复一遍吗”
Or if that feels like too much,
如果感觉这样不合适
you can just hand the mic back to June.
你可以把麦克风还给June
“Hey June, what were you saying?
“嘿 June 你刚才说什么?
I think I missed it”
我没听清”
When you notice it happening, speak up.
当你注意到这类情况发生时 大声说出来
It’s a chance to give yourself and others the opportunity to show up better.
这可以使每个人获得更好地展示自己的机会
Two: aim for sponsorship over mentorship.
二:致力于资助而不是指导
Mentorship is making a connection for someone,
指导是为别人建立联系
giving them advice,
给他们提供建议
helping them know when to ask for a promotion.
帮助他们知道该何时要求升职
It’s great, but we can do even better.
这很好 但我们可以做得更好
Sponsorship is using your privilege, your position, your power
资助就是利用你的特权 地位和权力
to give opportunities to someone else who’s traditionally been excluded.
给那些一贯被排斥在外的人提供机会
It’s not just saying that someone would excel in a make-or-break project,
这不仅意味着有人会在一个成败攸关的项目中表现出色
but getting in there
而且参与其中
and helping them make it across the finish line.
帮助他们冲过终点线
It’s sending their finished project to senior leaders
要把他们完成的项目递交给高层领导
and letting them know how strong you thought it was.
还要让领导们知道 你认为这个项目有多棒
When the work gets picked up and used,
当项目被选中并采用
it’s reminding people where it came from
它就提醒着人们它是从哪来的
and who produced it.
是谁制作的
If mentorship happens behind the scenes,
如果说指导是在幕后进行的
sponsorship happens right there in the front:
那么资助就发生在台前
not just before the meeting but in the meeting,
不仅要在会议前 而且要在会议上
not just on the private thread but in that big group email,
不只在私人对话中 而且要在群发邮件中
because the platitudes,
因为那种随便说说
the kind of half stepping
浅尝辄止的方式
it’s not cutting it.
治标不治本
Finally, pass on the chance for glory.
最后 把获得荣誉的机会传递下去
Think about how you can create opportunities
对那些在组织中不常得到机会的人
for the people in your organization who might not get them as often.
我们要思考如何为他们创造机会
The next time you’re asked to do a panel,
下次你受邀参加小组讨论时
consider offering your seat to someone
可以考虑把位置让给
who also has bold and imaginative ideas
那些同样有大胆和创新想法
but might be overlooked because of their race or gender or disability,
但可能因种族 性别或残疾被忽视的人
and then help that person prepare.
然后帮助他们做好准备
Take someone who wouldn’t normally have access to the meeting
那些不能正常参加会议的人
and bring them in with you,
请把他们一起带进来
not to observe,
不是为了观察他们
but to present with you.
而是为了与你一起出席
If you’ve been running an ideation session for a while,
如果你在组织一个创意会议
pass it on to someone new.
让新人接棒吧
Keep the calendar invite intact,
保持日程邀请是完整的
talk them through what’s worked in the past and what hasn’t
和他们讨论过去的业绩及待完成的工作
so that they can excel too.
那么他们可以表现出色
Pass on your institutional knowledge.
把你的经验知识传递给他们
It’s on the leadership of your company or your organization
公司或组织的领导层
to set goals and metrics for hiring equitably
是为了公平雇佣和引进各类员工
and bringing in more diverse employees,
才制定目标和章程的
but when it comes to inclusion and celebrating others,
但关于归属感和赞美他人这些方面
you can help with that.
你可以提供帮助
You can go to someone who doesn’t share your identities
你可以去找和你身份不同的人
to partner on a project.
作为项目的合作伙伴
You can amplify the work of a colleague
你可以选择队伍里最能代表所有人的那个人
who might be the only person like them on the team.
通过放大他的工作表现来观察
You may think about where you first started in this work
你可能会想 你是从哪里起步的
and feel so proud of what you’ve learned
并为自己奋斗路上
and how brave you’ve been as you climbed.
所学的一切和一如既往的勇敢而自豪
I need you to hold that feeling.
我需要你保持那种感觉
Please hold that feeling,
请保持那种自豪感
but also chase that feeling,
但也请追逐那种感觉
because what good is our power and success,
如果只是为了在成功的顶端俯瞰在我们身后的人
what use is it making it to the top
那我们的功成名就有什么意义呢?
if all it affords us is a bird’s-eye view of everyone we’ve left behind?
登上顶峰又有什么用呢?
If your journey in inclusion feels easy,
如果你的融入之旅非常轻松
you have packed too light.
那么你的包袱太轻了
So feel proud,
因此 请感到骄傲
feel uplifted,
感到振奋
feel accomplished in your commitment to equity,
请感受追求公平时的成就感
but also feel like you have more work to do
但要知道你仍然任重道远
because lifting
因为支持他人这件事
it’s difficult.
很难
And your help
而你的帮助
it’s essential.
必不可少

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

追求个人事业时别忘了身后的人,尽可能地为那些迫于各种原因而无法施展才华的人提供走向成功的机会,将成功传递下去,这才是一个真正的成功者该做的。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

审核员

审核员LR

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yshHFseMyI

相关推荐