未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

不积跬步 无以至千里

Want to change the world? Start by being brave enough to care | Cleo Wade

我的好友最近有了宝宝
My best friend recently had a baby.
当我遇见他的时候
And when I met him,
我看着这个幼小的美丽的生命
I was in awe of witnessing this tiny,
走进我们的生活 这让我心存敬畏
beautiful being enter into our lives.
我还意识到
I also had this realization
他不仅仅走入了我们的生命中
that he wasn’t just entering our lives,
他还走进了这个世界
he was entering the world —
当今这个疯狂的 有着太多挑战的世界
this crazy world that, especially now, feels so incredibly challenging.
工作中 我花费大量时间
I spend a lot time in my work talking to people
与人交流我们是谁
about who we are,
一定要成为谁以及我们能够做什么
who we must be and what our healing looks like.
当我第一次抱住这个孩子时
So the first time I held him,
我就想好了对他的挚嘱
I had my pep talk ready.
(孩子)你要知道 我想要你知道
You know, I wanted him to know
我们要通过不断的挑战
that the way we find our strength
才能发现自己的长处
is through our challenges.
你要知道
I wanted him to know
不积跬步
that we can all do something big
无以至千里
when we start small.
你要知道
I wanted him to know that each
我们每个人的潜能
of us is more resilient
比我们想像的更强
than we could ever imagine.
所以当我抱着小特洛纽斯的时候
So here I am holding little Thelonious.
我低头看他 我突然想起
I look down at him, and it hits me:
他还是个婴儿
he’s a baby.
[笑声]
(Laughter)
他甚至还不能理解我所说的每一个字
He’s not going to understand a single word I say to him.
所以 我有个更好的想法 回家 写下来
So instead, I thoughtit would probably be a better ideaif I went home and wrote.
虽然这是给成年人看的
So, this is for grown-ups,
但也是写给特洛纽斯的
but it’s also for Thelonious,
当他能够读懂时
when he’s old enough to read it:
如果这个世界对你说
The world will say to you,
要成为一个更好的人
“Be a better person.”
请勇敢的回答”是”
Do not be afraid to say,”Yes.”
从成为一个更好的聆听者开始
Start by being a better listener.
从走出去开始
Start by being betterat walking down the street.
看看人们
See people.
去说”你好”
Say,”Hello.”
问问他们在做什么 听听他们的回答
Ask how they are doingand listen to what they say.
从成为一位更亲密的朋友
Start by being a better friend,
更好的父母 以及更好的子女
a better parent,a better child to your parents;
更好的兄弟 更棒的爱人 更优秀的伙伴开始
a better sibling, a better lover,a better partner.
从做一个更好的邻居开始
Start by being a better neighbor.
遇见不认识的人 去了解他们
Meet someone you do not know,and get to know them.
这个世界还会对你说
The world will say to you,
你正打算做什么?
“What are you going to do?”
请勇敢的回答
Do not be afraid to say,
我明白我不能做到世间万事
“I know I can’t do everything,
但我可以做好一些事
but I can do something.”
去更多的地方 说
Walk into more rooms saying,
我是来帮助你们的
“I’m here to help.”
学会慷慨
Become intimate with generosity.
给予你能给予的 做你能做的
Give what you can give,and do what you can do.
比如金钱 时间
Give dollars, give cents, give your time,
爱 感情 精神
give your love, give your heart, give your spirit.
这个世界会对你说
The world will say to you,
我们需要和平
“We need peace.”
发现你内心的和平 秉持之
Find your peace within, hold it sacred,
让和平与你一起去到各处
bring it with you everywhere you go.
和平不能共享 亦不能与他人共同创造
Peace cannot be sharedor created with others
如果我们不能发自内心的想要和平的话
if we cannot first generate it within.
世界会对你说
The world will say to you,
它们是敌人
“They are the enemy.”
但是足够的爱会告诉你 这只是你们的分歧
Love enough to know that just because someonedisagrees with you,
它不会让你树敌
it does not make them your enemy.
你可能超不过别人
You may not win an argument,
你可能改变不了他人的想法
you may not change a mind,
但只要你选择去做
but if you choose to,
你就能赢得共情的快乐
you can always achieve the triumph of radical empathy —
和一颗理解的心
an understanding of the heart.
世界还会对你说
The world will say to you,
我们需要公正
“We need justice.”
调查
Investigate.
发现超越故事表面的真相
Find truth beyondthe stories you are told.
发现事物隐藏的真相
Find truth beyond the way things seem.
并且问出”为什么”
Ask,”Why?”
“这公平吗”
Ask,”Is this fair?”
“为什么会这样”
Ask,”How did we get here?”
用同情之心来对待
Do this with compassion.
用宽仁之心来对待
Do this with forgiveness.
学会宽恕
Learn to forgive others.
从真正学会原谅自己开始
Start by truly learninghow to forgive yourself.
我们不仅仅犯过错
We are all more than our mistakes.
我们一天比一天更好
We are all morethan who we were yesterday.
我们都值得被尊重
We are all deserving of our dignity.
去看看别人眼中的你
See yourself in others.
要认识到你的公正就是我的公正
Recognize that your justice is my justice,
我的公正也是你的公正
and mine is yours.
我们中的任何一个不自由
There can be no liberation for one of us
我们就都不自由
if the other is not free.
[掌声]
(Applause)
世界还会告诉你
The world will say to you,
“我是暴力的”
“I am violent.”
请勇敢回答
Respond by saying,
“但我不是”
“I am not.”
“我虚气平心 不暴厉恣睢”
Not with my wordsand not with my actions.”
世界会对你说
The world will say to you,
“我们需要治理星球”
“We need to heal the planet.”
就从说”不 谢谢 我不用塑料袋”开始
Start by saying,”No, thank you.I don’t need a plastic bag.” Recycle,
重新使用 循环再生
reuse.
开始去拾起你周边的垃圾
Start by picking upone piece of trash on your block.
世界会对你说
The world will say to you,
“问题太多了”
“There are too many problems.”
但是 勇敢地去解决问题
Do not be afraidto be a part of the solutions.
从讨论问题开始
Start by discussing the issues.
如果我们刻意忽略 那就永远都克服不了
We cannot overcome what we ignore.
我们讨论的越多
The more we talk about things,
这些问题之间的关联越多
the more we see that the issues are connected
因为我们也是相连的
because we are connected.
世界会对你说
The world will say to you,
“我们要停止种族歧视”
“We need to end racism.”
从自己家里做起
Start by healing it in your own family.
世界会对你说
The world will say to you,
“我们该如何对待偏见和固执”
“How do we speak to bias and bigotry?”
从在家里餐桌上的第一次谈话开始
Start by having the first conversationat your own kitchen table.
世界会对你说
The world will say to you,
“世间有太多的怨憎”
“There is so much hate.”
学会去爱吧
Devote yourself to love.
要先爱自己 才能跨越障碍与偏见
Love yourself so muchthat you can love others
去爱他人
without barriers and without judgment.
当世界要求我们回应大麻烦时
When the world asks us big questionsthat require big answers,
我们有两个选择 第一个
we have two options. One:
觉得自己不行 什么都不做
to feel so overwhelmedor unqualified, we do nothing. Two:
第二 从迈出一小步开始 证明自己
to start with one small actand qualify ourselves.
天下兴亡 匹夫有责
I am the director of national security,
你也是
and so are you.
也许没有人任命我们 也没有派遣证明
Maybe no one appointed usand there were no senate confirmations,
但我们可以保卫祖国
but we can secure a nation.
当你能帮助他人更安全
When you help just one personto be more secure,
国家就更安全
a nation is more secure.
伸出你的援助之手 轻问”还好吗”
With just one outstretched handthat says,”Are you OK?
“别担心 我在” 我们能把不安全变为安全
I am here for you,” we can transform insecurity into security.
我们也许会探寻 问世界
We find ourselves saying to the world,
“我该干嘛 我们该干嘛”
“What should I do?””What should we do?”
更好的问法是:
The better question might be:
我该如何面对
“How am I showing up?”
我想要世界和平
I ask the world for peace,
但我面对家人 朋友时 自己平静吗
but do I show up with peace when I see my family and friends?
我想要世界不再有憎恨
I ask the world to end hatred,
但我是否应该只表现出
but do I show up
对我熟知的人的爱
with love not only for those I know,
那么那些我不知道的呢
but those I don’t know?
我应该爱那些与自己意见相背的人吗?
Do I show up with love for those whose ideas conflict with my own?
我想让世界没有苦难
I ask the world to end suffering,
但是对那些流落街头的人 我该怎么做
but do I show up for those who are suffering on my street corner?
我们对世界说
We say to the world,
改变吧! 我们需要改变!
“Please change; we need change.”
但是我们要怎么改变自己的生活的?
But how do we show upto change our own lives?
我们要怎么改变
How do we show up to change the lives
周围人的生活的?
of the people in our communities?
詹姆斯·鲍尔温曾说
James Baldwin said,” Everything now,
我们要把握自己手中的一切
we must assume is in our own hands;
但无权侵占其他
we have no right to assume otherwise.”
这总是真理
This has always been true.
没人因为哈里特·塔布曼的目标
No one nominatedHarriet Tubman to her purpose,
使命 勇气而任命她
to her mission, to her courage.
她也从未说过 我不是国会议员
She did not say,”I’m not a congressman
或者美国总统
or the president of the United States,
所以 我要怎样做才能参与到
so how could I possibly participate in the fight to abolish
废除像奴隶制一样庞大的系统中
a system as big as slavery?”
她用了10年进行了19次旅行
She instead spent 10 yearsmaking 19 trips,
一次性解放了300人
freeing 300 people, one group of people at a time.
想着那300人的孩子
Think about the childrenof those 300 people,
孙子 曾孙以及其他后代
the grandchildren,the great-grandchildren and beyond.
我们的正义之行会为公正这条路
Our righteous acts createimmeasurable ripples
创造无限可能
in the endless river of justice.
不论是 卡特里娜 哈维 厄玛 玛丽亚
Whether it’s Hurricane Katrina, Harvey, Irma or Maria,
人们不会说
people did not say,
“飓风造成了如此严重破坏 我该做什么?”
“There is so much damage.What should I do?”
他们都做到了自己该做的
They got to work on what they could do.
人们各展所能
Those with boats got in their boats
摆渡他们遇见的每一个人
and started loading in every woman, man and child they came across.
不管远近 人们捐献他们或多或少的善款
Near and far, people gave their dollars,
传播着他们的爱和精神
they gave their cents, they gave their hearts, they gave their spirit.
我们花了太多时间去想
We spend so much time
我们的能力不足以改变世界
thinking we don’t havethe power to change the world.
我们忘记了我们手中
We forget that the power to change someone’s life
掌握着改变某个人的力量
is always in our hands.
能够做出改变的不仅是一小群人
Change-making does not belongto one group of people;
而是我们所有人
it belongs to all of us.
你不需要等别人告诉你
You don’t have to waiton anyone to tell you
你可以
that you are in this.
开始去做
Begin.
从力所能及的事开始
Start by doing what you canwith what you’ve got,
从身边开始 以自己的方式
where you are and in your own way.
我们不需要成为英雄
We don’t have to be heroes,
不需穿着制服
wear a uniform,
不需称自己为活动家 也不要被选中才去参与
call ourselves activists or get elected to participate.
我们只需要勇于关心
We just have to be brave enough to care.
差不多在特洛纽斯出生时
Now, around the time Thelonious was born,
我去参加了吉恩·莫雷蒂的生日宴
I went to the birthday party of a man named Gene Moretti.
那天是他百岁诞辰
It was his 100th birthday,
这意味着他经历了美国经济大萧条时期
which means he lived in the United States through the Depression,
二战
World War II,
工人权利斗争
the struggle for workers’ rights,
妇女获得投票权
the achievement of a woman’s right to vote,
公民权利运动 人类登月
the Civil Rights Movement, a man on the moon,
越南战争 第一个黑人总统当选
the Vietnam War and the election of the first black president.
我坐在他身边 说
I sat with him, and I said, “Gene,
吉恩 你在美国生活了一百年
you have lived in America for 100 years.
你对当前有什么建议吗?
Do you have any adviceduring these current times?”
他笑说
He smiled and said to me simply,”Yes.
是的 尽可能善待每个人
Be good to as many people as possible.”
他和我妈妈跳舞
And as he danced with my mother, who is,
我妈妈年龄仅是他的一半
by the way, half his age,
在满屋的亲朋好友中
in a room full of generations
甚至有上百人
of his family and hundreds of people,
从千里之外
many of whom traveled thousands
赶来庆生
of miles to be there to celebrate him,
我意识到 他不仅仅给了我建议
I realized that he had notjust given me advice,
他也让我开始认识到
he had given me the first step
如果我们想创造更真实美好的世界
that every single one of usis capable of making
每个人都能全身心参与其中
if we want to createa real, whole hearted impact
献出自己的一份力
on the world around us, right now.
尽可能善待每个人
“Be good to as many people as possible.”
谢谢倾听
Thank you.
[掌声]
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

不积跬步,无以至千里。不积小流,无以成江海。我们没有能力改变整个世界,但是从身边小事做起,潜移默化地影响世界,未必不会改变世界。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

岸雩

审核员

审核员 EY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8SBuTuoKk

相关推荐