ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

逆袭之路:从废柴工程师到合伙人 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

逆袭之路:从废柴工程师到合伙人

Varun Agarwal: From failing in engineering to co-founding a million-dollar company

INKINK大会与TED联合制作
INK. The ink conference in association with TED.
本INK演讲由EMC²赞助播出
This INK talk is brought to you by EMC².
在我的生活中 周围的每一个人
Throughout my life, everyone around me,
我的朋友们 家人和老师们
my friends, my family, my teachers,
他们总是告诉我一个字:
they always told me this one word:
在做任何事情之前都要“想”
think, before you do anything.
但这个字比其他事物给我带来的伤害更深
But this one word actually caused me more harm than anything else.
然而 我碰到了这两个字
But then I came across these two words.
我很快意识到这两个字事实上帮我找到了我想做的事
And I soon realized that these two words are actually helping meet what I want to do.
那么 我会告诉各位我的故事
So I’m going to tell you guys my story
并告诉你们这两个字是怎么帮助我塑造人生的
and tell you how these two words have really helped me shape my life.
当我在学校时 我在举手问老师问题前都要仔细想一想
When I was in school, I should think before I would raise my hand to ask the teacher a question.
我在组织自己的语言回答问题前会思考
I would think before answering the questions in my own words.
我在做任何事情前都要思考
I would think before doing anything.
在这个过程中 我什么都没做成
And in the process, I didn’t end up doing anything at all.
然而到了十一年级
But then, in the eleven standard,
我变得着迷于电影制作
I became extremely fascinated by the concept of filmmaking.
只要你拿起一部小小的数码摄像机
The fact that you can take a small little handycam
就能向世界展示你的内心所想
and then show the rest of the world what’s inside your head.
我把它视作一种非常有影响力的媒介
I took that as a very very powerful medium.
高中结束时我去找我妈妈 和她的好朋友阿努阿姨
At the end of high school, I went up to my mom, and her best friend Anu Aunty,
阿努阿姨对我的生活非常感兴趣
who always seems to take an active interest in my life.
我跟她们说 我想当电影导演
I told them I want to be a filmmaker.
显而易见地 她们不怎么开心
And obviously they weren’t very impressed.
因为在印度 如果你想成为除了工程师和医生之外的人
Because in India, if you want to be anything other than an engineer or a doctor,
你就会被视为恐怖分子
you’re considered a terrorist.
很明显 她们说不行
They obviously said no,
但让人难过的是 她们让我做这件事
but the sad thing was they made me do this.
也许我不会成为成功的导演
Maybe I won’t be successful a filmmaker.
也许我没赚够钱
Maybe I won’t make enough money.
也许我根本就当不了导演
Maybe I won’t make it.
现在这个字让我遇到了很多麻烦 因为它让我工程学挂科了
Now this one word got me to a lot of trouble, because it got me into this.
不是说我多抗拒工程学
Now not that I have anything against engineering,
但我讨厌它 无时不刻地讨厌
but I hated it, every minute, every second of it.
但在工程学上 发生了些事
But something happened in engineering.
在学习方面 我是好学生
About to learn, I was an above-average student,
我从未挂科
I’d never fail.
但这次是我人生以来第一次不及格
But for the first time in my life, I fail.
那一刻的失败对我来说其实变成了巨大的成功
And that one moment of failure actually turned out to be a very strong moment of success for me.
因为从那以后
Because from then on,
我不必向除了我之外的其他人 来证明什么
I didn’t have to prove anything to anyone anymore, except myself.
所以我决定做这件事
So I decided to do this.
我再次拿起了数码摄像机
So I took up my handycam again,
我在拍摄我的短片的同时
and as I’m shooting all my short films,
开始把短片上传到网络上
and start uploading them.
然后在2006年 这个Y开头的小发明出现了
And then in 2006 this Y little invention comes along.
你懂的 只需一键就能上传你的所有视频
You know, it lets you upload all your videos at a click of a button,
世界上其他人就能看到了
and the rest of the world can see it.
想象一下 在那一刻
Imagine at that moment,
我开始上传我的所有影片
so I started uploading all my films in,
然后开始拍摄更多的影片
and I started making even more films.
很快地 人们开始注意到了
Soon people started noticing it,
决定让我做出专业性的作品
and decided to give me professional work.
在油管的帮助下
So with the help of YouTube.com,
在大一我建立了我的第一家公司
in the first year of college I set up my first company,
最后一分钟影视
Last Minute Films,
因为在工程学中 所有事都是在最后一分钟内完成的
because in engineering everything is done in the last minute.
很快我意识到 在现实世界中
And I soon realized that, in the real world,
所有事情也是在最后一分钟内完成的
everything is done in the last minute, too.
一年后 有个摇滚乐队叫五角星
A year later, this rock band called Pentagram.
他们让我给他们拍一支MV
They asked me to direct a music video for them,
只在油管上发布
and it’s only going to be for YouTube.
所以我制作了一支MV 最后播放量达到了10万
So I made a music video, and it ended up getting a hundred thousand views.
有家在孟买的制作公司看到了这个视频
And this production company in Bombay saw the video,
他们给了我份工作:导演
and they offered me a job: direct.
我得到了一个机会 不是去当助理
So here I was getting a chance not to be an assistant,
不是去打杂跑腿 而是开始执导MV
not to be a gofer, but to start directing music videos.
但那时我是大三
But I was in the third year of my college,
所以在孟买 我打电话给我妈妈 当然还有阿努阿姨
So from Bombay, I called up my mom and Anu Aunty obviously,
我跟她们说“你知道吗 我有机会去当导演了”
and I told them that “You know, I’m getting a chance to direct.”
很显然地 她们非常震惊
Obviously they weren’t very impressed,
我二十岁 就在孟买 除此之外无所依靠
me, twenty years old, sitting in Bombay, nothing added up.
但我还是要回学校 完成长达一年的痛苦的工程学学业
But I…So I had to come back and finish one long torturous year of engineering.
我一结束工程学的学习
Once I was finally done with my engineering,
我说 这才是我要做的事
I said that this is what I’m going to do.
我买了一张单程巴士车票去了孟买
So I took a one-way bus ticket to Bombay,
我到站下车
I landed up there,
去到那个制作公司的办公室 希望他们有份工作给我
and I went up to the production company’s office, hoping that day they have a job for me.
令人惊讶的是 他们真的给了
And surprisingly, they did.
两个月之后 我……你知道的
And two months later, I… You know,
他们派我去拉赫曼先生的工作室 执导宣传片
they sended me to Mr. Rehman studio to direct small promo video.
我吓坏了 因为我所知道的就是网络分析和现场系统
And I was shit scared, because all I knew was network analysis and field systems,
而在这 我要在一部宣传片里指导拉赫曼先生
and here I was trying to direct Mr. Rehman in a promo video.
谢天谢地 拍摄进行得很顺利
But the shoot went on well, thankfully.
在片子拍摄结束时 他所告诉我的就是
But at the end of the video, all he told me was that
“你知道吗 人生很短暂 要做你爱做的事 做你深信不疑的事”
“You know what, life is very short, always do what you love, and always do what you believe in.”
我余生都记得那些话
I kept those words for the rest of my life.
两个月之后
A couple of months later,
我在为Shankar Ehsaan Loy制作一部MV
I was directing a music video for Shankar Ehsaan Loy.
MV的主演是印度最有名的女演员之一
Star of the music video was one of India’s biggest actresses,
普丽媞·泽塔 她不相信我是个导演
Preity Zinta, and she refused to believe I was a director.
我只有20岁 而且看起来像15岁
I was twenty years old and I look fifteen,
她绝对不买账
And she definitely didn’t buy it.
从照片里你们能看得出来 她绝对不满意我这个导演
And you can see from the pictures, she definitely doesn’t look happy with me done as the director.
但我导演了这个短片之后 我意识到
But after I directed this video, I realized that, you know,
我真的想自己去做一些事
I really want to do something on my own.
所以我回到班加罗尔
So I came back to Bangalore,
这也是我人生的第二部分展开的地方
and that’s when accidentally the second part of my life started.
它是这么展开的
And it started somewhere like this.
所以我相信伟大的事业是从你喝完酒的杯底开始的
So I believe all great business is at the bottom when you’re drunk,
因为当你喝醉的时候 你毫无拘束 一切皆有可能
because when you’re drunk you have no inhibitions and anything is possible.
我和我朋友当时正坐在这个酒吧里
So me and my friend were sitting in this bar,
然后我们喝醉了 开始怀念……
and we’re getting drunk and we starting missing…
我们开始怀念我们的高中生活
We’re starting to miss our high school.
所以我们路过一个叫卡顿主教的学校
So we passed the school called Bishop Cotton’s,
我们管它叫卡顿人
and we would call Catonians.
所以我们就 你们懂的 我们应该买件汗衫 上面写着卡顿人
So we’re like, you know what, we should get sweatshirts with the word Catonian written on it.
但我们喝醉了 对吧?所以一切皆有可能
But we were drunk, right? So anything is possible.
我们当时就说“嘿 为什么不给印度的每个学校和大学弄个这样的衣服呢?”
So we’re like: “dude, why not this for every school and college in this country?”
然后 在一张纸巾上
So on a piece of tissue paper,
我们写下了一个宏伟的商业计划
we wrote down a grand business plan,
为印度的每个学校和大学的学生制作商品
to make merchandise for students of every school and college in this country.
好的 现在我们手头有一个主意
OK, so now that we have an idea in hand,
这不是我们要做的
this is not what we’re going to do.
我们不会再去妈妈和阿努阿姨那里告诉她们我的主意
We’re not going to go to Mom and Anu Aunty and tell them my idea.
因为我们早就知道她们会说什么了 对吧?
Because we already know what’s happened there, right?
所以我们不会去干这事
So we’re not going to do this.
但问题是 我们对于如何经营生意了解不多
But the problem was that we didn’t know anything about running a business.
可以说是一无所知
Nothing, absolutely nothing.
所以 我们应该这样做
So, this is what we’re supposed to do.
但学了4年的工程学 他们从未教我微软的Excel
But four years of engineering and they never taught me Microsoft Excel.
而我意识到 那就是我唯一需要的
And I realized that that’s the only thing needed.
那一个软件几乎规划了所有人的人生
That one software practically defines everyone’s life.
那么 之前这个字很明显造成了很多麻烦 对吧?
So and obviously, this caused a lot of problems before, right?
我们要做的是这个
This is what we’re going to do.
我们找到了这个在小镇上从事制造业的朋友
So we found this manufacturing friend in a small town in throughput.
他给我们制作了一些样品
And he offered to make us some samples.
我们在卡顿主教学校里摆了一个货摊
We landed up at the old boys day of Bishop Cotton’s with a small stall,
希望人们会对这个感兴趣
and hoped that people would be interested.
起初 没人出现
At first, nobody showed up.
但之后 有个孩子跑过来问我们“你是从哪弄到这件连帽衫的?我能买吗?”
But then this one kid came and asked us you know, “where did you get this hoodie from? Can I buy it?”
我们说“当然可以”
Then we said “Yeah, you can.”
然后他带了其他10个卡顿人朋友 买了10件
And then he got ten of his other Catonian friends, and they got ten of theirs.
第一天开始销售时 我们卖了2500件连帽衫
And in the first day that we started ended up selling 2500 hoodies.
所以那个时候我们意识到了
So that’s when we knew that,
“是啊 我们有了拿得出手的东西”
“Yes, we have something in our hands.”
而且有件不错的事
And the good thing was
当这些孩子穿着这些连帽衫在小镇里晃悠时
when these Catonian kids started wearing the hoodie things and starting moving around town,
其他学校和大学的学生开始感到不安
students from other schools and colleges got insecure.
他们就会去问“你们从哪弄的?”
So they were like “Where did you get that from?”
这就是我们的目的
And that is our intention,
我们知道他们会来找我们
so we knew that they’re going to come to us.
但接着我们知道 如果你要做这行
But then we knew that if you’re going to do this,
业务要扩展到整个印度 我们要想出一个计划
and for the entire country we got to figure out a plan.
所以在2009年 我们正式启用了我们作为网商的口号
So in 2009, we officially launched our motto
来迎合全印度的学校和大学学生的需要
as an online store to cater to students of schools and colleges across India.
但当我们启用时 问题也开始接踵而来
But the moment we started, that’s when all the problems started.
我朋友们会问“哥们 你有什么毛病?为什么干这个?
My friends were like, “dude, what’s wrong with you? Why are you doing this?
你应该正常去找个工作上班
You know you should just get a regular job.
你为什么冒这么大的险”
Why are you taking such a big risk?”
我妈妈真的很担心
My mom was really worried,
因为她想 别人不会来质疑我
because she thought I won’t get any in doubting.
在印度 如果你不为兴趣而工作 你就不会被质疑
In India, if you don’t work for interest, you do not get doubted.
我妈妈真的很担心
My mom was really worried,
我也知道阿努阿姨管我叫T恤销售员
and I know Anu Aunty called me a T-shirt salesman.
所有这一切都在我的脑海里挥之不去
All of this like really started playing with my head,
我变得很不安
and I became really insecure,
我会想 “我在做什么呢?我在干啥呢?”
and I was like “What am I doing? What am I doing?”
然后 我就回到我在工程学上挂科的那个时刻
And then, I just went back to that one small moment of engineering where I failed.
我就在想 你懂的
And I thought, you know,
我在工程学上挂科了 没发生什么坏事
I failed in engineering and nothing bad happened.
如果我这个做失败了 最坏又能坏到哪里去?
If I fail in this, what’s the worse?
所以我们决定放手一搏
So we decided to give it a shot.
不久 事情开始出现转机
And soon enough things began to change.
我们规模扩大了 人们开始注意到我们
We started growing, people started noticing us.
他们把我们放到印度最大的杂志封面上
They put us on the cover of India’s biggest magazine.
他们写了超过50篇新闻稿来报道我们
They wrote more than 50 newspaper articles around us.
来自200个不同城市的2000所大学的40万学生都买了Alma Mater母校的产品
And this is where Alma Mater in city with 2,000 colleges across 200 different cities with over 4 lakh students.
全都来自于班加罗尔的那间小办公室
All are sitting out of that one small office in Bangalore.
但最有趣的部分是 正好一年后
But the coolest part about this is exactly a year later,
我和我的朋友坐在同一个酒吧
my friend and I were sitting in the same bar,
有个小孩经过我们面前 穿着卡顿人的连帽衫
and this random kid walks past us, wearing a Catonion hoodie.
天啊 那个时刻 我觉得那个时刻就是成功的时刻
Man, that one moment, I think that one moment is a success.
对于我来说 成功不是金钱
For me success is not money,
不是上帝 也不是银行余额
is not God, or is not a bank balance.
而是……而是像这样的时刻
It’s… It’s moments like this.
你懂的 我们看着那个孩子经过我们的那个时刻
You know, the moment we saw that kid walked past us.
正好一年后 我们只是互相对视
And exactly a year later, we just look at us.
什么都没有说
We didn’t say anything.
所以对于我来说 那就是我最成功的时刻
So for me, that was my greatest greatest moment of success.
之所以会成功 是因为“别想”
And that success came because of “Don’t think”.
所以与此同时
So in the meantime,
我们当然同时经营着最后一分钟影视
we kept…we kept last-minute films running obviously,
我们的油管频道最终有100万播放量
and we ended up with over a million views on our YouTube channel.
最棒的是 油管让我们成为了合作伙伴
And the best part was YouTube made us a partner.
他们最终发了一封邮件 上面说
So finally they sended me a mail that’s saying that,
“从现在开始 每当有人观看你的视频时 我们会向你付款”
“Now every time anyone sees the videos, we will pay you.”
我想 这真的真的太赞了
I thought that really really awesome,
因为我爸爸很关心我为什么还在上传这些视频
because my dad was really worried why am I uploading all these videos.
但是当他知道了 我能通过这个赚钱时
But the moment he… he came to know that I get paid for it now,
他就说 你应该尽可能多上传些视频
he was like, you should upload as many videos as you can.
现在 我来到故事最精彩的部分了
So now I come to the very interesting part of this story.
我选的这个讨厌的人物一直是我人生中很大的一部分
This unwanted character I chose always always is a strong part of my life.
她一直…… 你懂的
He’s that character who always, you know,
无视我的活动
but ignoring all of my activities.
所以要怎么解决呢?就是 怎么处理这种情况?
So how to figure out? You know, how to, how to deal with the situation?
所以我应该在脸书和博客上写很多关于阿努阿姨的事
So I said I should had a lot of notes on Facebook and blogs about Anu Aunty, you know,
偷偷告诉他们
secretly telling them what…
她是如何毁掉我的人生的
You know, how she’s damaging my life.
然后有人就说
And then somebody said, you know,
“你应该写本关于这些的书”
“you should write a book about it.”
问题是 书里有50000个单词
The problem was there’re 50,000 words in a book.
我写过最长的文章就500词
The most number of words I’ve ever written is 500 words.
所以我想 我怎么去写一本书?
So I was like, how would I write a book?
但是 我想起来我的英语老师跟我说过
But then I remember my English teacher once told me,
“在你勇敢去做之前 所有事情都看起来很难”
“Everything looks tough until you actually go ahead and do it.”
所以我开始做了 且从未停止
So I started and I never stopped,
事实上 我写了60000词
and I actually wrote 60,000 words.
我写了一本书 叫做
And I wrote a book called
我是如何勇敢面对阿努阿姨并共同创立一家百万美元企业的
How I Braved Anu Aunty and Co-Founded A Million Dollar Company.
她带来了最大的灾难
She made a greatest adversity,
阿努阿姨变成了品牌形象大使
Anu Aunty into a brand ambassador.
好吧 因为这本书是有关我们如何启用我们的模特的
Alright, because the book was about how we started our model.
阿努阿姨变得很有名
And Anu Aunty became really famous.
她到处跑 告诉其他人来反对我们 现在她很有名了
So here she was going around, telling everything against us, and now she was famous.
她再也不能说一些反对我们的话了
She couldn’t say anything up against us anymore.
但是关于这本书最有趣的事情是 我们是自力更生的对吧
But the most interesting thing about the book was, we were bootstrapping, right?
我们从未有钱去让公司上市
So we never had money to market a company.
现在别人在帮我们公司上市 并付钱给我们
So now somebody else is marketing our company and paying us.
你上市公司还能拿到钱
You get paid for marketing,
我从没有想过这样的情况会出现
I never thought that the concept like this could exist.
我只是意识到 你得花很多钱进行上市
I only… I only realize that you have to pay a lot for marketing.
但别人花钱让你上市你自己的公司 也是一条路子
But it’s also a way that someone else can pay you to market your very own company.
我知道这本书写得不错 因为卖出了很多本
I knew that the book was doing really well, because it sold a lot of copies.
但最有趣的事情是 当我走进一台三轮摩托车
But the most interesting thing was when I walked into an auto,
开车的小伙子在卖我的书
and the auto guy was selling my book,
我拍了这张照片 发给了阿努阿姨
and I took this picture and I sent it to Anu Aunty.
然后她把它发给了她所有朋友
And she sent it to all her friends,
因为对她来说 这是她的人生巅峰
because for her this was, this was a high point.
那么我的演讲要结束了
So I’m going to end my talk,
用一个小故事来结尾 因为INK是关于各种故事的
which this model story since INK is all about stories.
故事跟两位先生有关 拉贾先生和阿肖克先生
It’s about two gentlemen, Mr. Rajat and Mr. Ashok.
我在飞机上碰到了拉贾 他告诉我这个故事
So I met Rajat on a plane and he told me the story.
上个世纪八十年代时 他俩都去了IT行业 然后去了哈佛商学院
They both went to IT in the 1980s, then they went to Harvard Business School.
阿肖克在苹果公司工作
Ashok went on to work for Apple.
拉贾去了一家大型咨询公司工作
Rajat went on to work for a big consulting firm.
拉贾最近因为商业会议回来印度
Rajat recently came down to India for a business meeting.
他的车在加尔各答坏了 他们把他带到汽车修理厂里
His car broke down in Calcutta, and they took him to this garage.
然后他发现 在修车的这个人是阿肖克
And he found the guy who’s repairing the car was Ashok.
他很震惊 说
That it was shock, he was like
“阿肖克 你怎么能在修车呢?
“Ashok, how could you be repairing the car?
你是我见过的最聪明的孩子
you’re the smartest kid I ever knew.
你应该是某家公司的CEO”
You should probably this the CEO of some company.”
然后阿肖克告诉他发生了什么
Then Ashok told him his story.
他说“你知道我从哪来的
He said, “You know where I came.
我为苹果工作了几年
I’ve worked for Apple for a few years.
然后回到印度
And I came back to India,
创建了一家提高燃料效率的公司
made a company that increased fuel efficiency,
然后卖掉 开了这家汽车修理厂
sold that, and then started this garage.
因为我最爱做的就是自己动手修车”
Because all I really loved was repairing cars with my very own hands.”
拉贾有一次告诉了我这个故事
Rajat was once telling me the story.
他跟我说“瓦伦 我65岁了
He told me, “Varun, I’m 65 years old,
我是我公司的副董事长
I’m the vice president of my company.
我人生中唯一的遗憾 就是我没有过上我想过的人生
My only regret in life is that I didn’t have live a life that I wanted to live.
我过的是别人想要我过的生活”
I lived a life that somebody else wanted me to live.”
他所告诉我的就是“别放弃你的梦想”
And all he told me was, “Don’t give up on your dreams.”
至于我要怎么做 我觉得是“别想 直接做”
And for me to do that, I think, “Don’t think, just do.”
谢谢大家
Thanks.
[掌声]
[applause]
www.INKtalks.com
www.INKtalks.com

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

反常人思维,做之前别想太多才是成功的秘诀?来看看百万美元企业合伙人的传奇人生。

听录译者

红花老七

翻译译者

One静茹

审核员

审核员 W

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPqsjuXDmE

相关推荐