未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

“不”字让我成为亿万富翁

The word "No" made me into a billionaire

I grew up poor in the housing projects of Brooklyn, New York.
我自小在纽约布鲁克林区的贫民窟长大
The word “no” has been said to me more than “yes”,
我收到的拒绝比赞同还多
but I never let
但这并没有
that stop me from building the fifth largest food chain in the world.
阻止我打造出“世界第五大食物链”
I am now the 232nd richest person in the United States
我现在在美国富人中排行第232位
with a net worth of $ 2.9 Billion dollars.
拥有净资产29亿美元
Guess Who? Their life from beginning to present.
猜猜是谁?他们的迄今的生活历程
I was born on July 19, 1953,
我于1953年7月19号
to a family that didn ’ t have a lot of money.
在一个贫穷的家庭里出生
Money was a challenge
经济条件不好
as my mother was a receptionist and my father was a World War II veteran
我的妈妈是一个接待员 爸爸曾经是二战老兵
working as a diaper delivery driver.
现在是送尿布的司机
They didn’t have a college education,
他们没有大学学历
but they worked hard for the family, and they loved their work.
但是他们为了家庭努力工作并且热爱自己的工作
I don’t know if they were ever able to enjoy life.
我不知道他们是否享受过生活
When my father fractured his ankle while working,
我父亲工作时摔断了脚踝的时候
it brought us to our lowest point.
是我家的最低谷时期
Little money in our pockets, medical bills to pay,
我们包里没钱 没钱买药
we lived by the day.
我们艰难生活
It was difficult seeing hard working people struggle for survival.
看到勤劳的人们为生存奋斗很难受
I promised myself it wouldn’t happen to anyone else.
我发誓不让这一切发生在任何人身上
Most people work their first job at 18.
很多人从十八岁才开始工作
My first job was at 12 years old.
我的第一份工作是在我12岁的时候
I sold newspaper and worked in a local cafe.
我卖报纸和在当地咖啡馆工作
I guess you can say my childhood wasn’t really much
我猜你会说除了运动玩耍外
of a childhood except for playing sports.
我的童年不怎么像个童年
I wasn’t a straight-A student or most voted to succeed,
我没有成绩全A 在学校也没有什么人气
but I was really good at American Football.
但我确实很擅长橄榄球
It was a way
它于我
for me to escape my world and enjoy something I was good at.
是逃离现实享受我擅长的一种方式
I worked hard and was awarded
我努力练习并获得了
a football scholarship to Northern Michigan University
北密歇根大学的橄榄球奖学金
where I became the first person in my family to go to college.
我成为家里第一个上大学的人
I always knew I wouldn’t become a professional football player,
我一直知道自己不会成为一个专业的橄榄球运动员
but I did know I wanted to be educated.
但我知道我想要受教育
I worked hard for it and became the first person
我努力奋斗成为了
in my family to graduate from college.
家里第一个大学毕业生
I worked various jobs and have always been determined to succeed at my goals.
我从事了很多职位 坚定成功实现目标
At 26 years old,
我26岁的时候
I became Vice President in charge of sales for a Swedish Houseware company – no,
我成为瑞典家居用品公司销售部副总裁
it’s not IKEA if that’s what you’re thinking. In some people’s minds, this would be seen as”successful”.
不是你想的宜家 某些人认为这就是成功
I mean, Vice President isn’t an easy job title
我意思是 副总裁这个职位在这么年轻时
at such a young age.
可不容易当上
But not me.
但我不是
I didn’t feel happiness, joy or fulfillment.
我不觉得幸福 高兴 或满足
Not until I visited a shop that was placing large orders for one of our items;
直到我参观了一家为我们的商品下了大订单的商店
a drip coffeemaker.
咖啡机制造商
At the time, the two owners were selling whole coffee beans, teas,
当时 两位店长在卖整粒的咖啡豆和茶
spices and coffee-making accessories.
还有香料和一些做咖啡的配件
I felt their passion and love for something as simple as coffee.
我感受到他们对咖啡这么简单普通的东西的热爱
Coffee!
咖啡诶!
Can you believe it?
你能相信吗?
Keep in mind,
要知道
this was 1981 when coffee was a quick drink to get you through the workday.
这可是在1981年 咖啡只是工作日的消遣饮品
I knew this was where I belonged.
我知道这就是我要从事的方向
I fell in love
我深陷其中了
with what they created and the passion they had for something that was overlooked.
沉浸在他们的创造和他们对被他人忽视的咖啡的热爱
For 1 year, I called, I asked,
在一年里 我不停打电话询问
I nagged and I visited asking
叨烦他们 还上门请求他们
them to let me join their team.
让我加入他们的团队
I must have annoyed them really badly because later that year,
我肯定让他们很苦恼 因为一年后
I became their Director of Marketing.
我当上了他们的销售主管
1 year into the job, I went on a business trip to Milan.
工作一年之后 我去米兰进行了一个商业旅行
And what I saw was a complete difference from American coffee drinking culture.
我看到了和美国完全不同的咖啡文化
People actually sat down and enjoyed their drinks.
人们坐在那里来享用他们的咖啡
It was more than a drink, it was a relationship –
它不仅仅是一杯饮料 更是一种人际交往
a place where people went to meet, talk,
一个人们会面 聊天
and appreciate a finely made coffee.
和细品精心制作的咖啡的地方
this was what we need I thought,this was my second Eureka moment.
我想“这就是我们需要的” 这是我第二次灵光乍现的时刻
I told the owners of my vision,
我把想法告诉了老板
but they wanted to stay true to their current business
但他们想保持当前的商业模式不变
of selling bulk items, not individual drinks. I didn’t blame them.
只销售散装商品而不是专门的饮品 这不能怪他们
Americans at the time didn’t even know what a latte was!
因为那时候美国人连拿铁是什么都不知道
I decided I would create my own coffee shop.
我决定要自己来开咖啡店
The challenge was trying to raise $ 1.6 million dollars in 1 year.
挑战在一年内尝试去融资160万美元
I spoke to 242 people, and 217 said”no” – that’s a 90% no by the way.
我告诉了242个人 有217个人说了不 也就是说90%的人否定了我的想法
They’d tell me it wasn’t worth the money.
他们告诉我 它不值那么多钱
That it wouldn’t work.
这个想法不切实际
That there was no real profit in such a business.
这个事业不能带来实际的利益
I won’t lie.
不瞒你说
I was discouraged and I even questioned my idea.
我甚至被打击到开始怀疑我的主意
But growing up poor, I wasn’t after profits or millions.
因为在贫穷家庭里长大 我并不太追求利益和金钱
I was after my dreams to become a reality.
我只想实现我的梦想
I didn’t get my full $1.6 million,
我并没有融够160万
but I got what I needed to open my first shop,”Il Giornale”. I made many mistakes in that first store,
但我攒到了资金开我的第一家店“伊尔乔尔纳莱” 尽管我在这家店里犯过很多错误
but I learned very quickly and picked myself up
但是我很快就吸取了教训并振作起来
until we were making annual sales of half a million dollars.
终于我们做到了年销售额50万美金
I was one step closer to my goal.
我离我的目标又近了一步
But something was still missing.
但还是欠缺了些什么
Remember that shop I had to be apart of and worked for?
还记得我之前工作过的那家公司吗?
well soon after, the owners decided to sell their business.
不久之后 俩老板决定转卖他们的公司
I had a deep relationship with that shop and I just couldn’t let it go.
我对那家公司有很深的感情 我不能就这样让它倒闭
So,in 1987,
所以在1987年
I bought their 6 stores for $ 3.8 million dollars
我以三百八十万美金收购了他们的六家店
and combined my stores with their 6 and became the CEO of Starbucks Coffee.
结合他们的六家店和我的其他店 我成为了星巴克咖啡的CEO
You heard it correctly.
你听到的没错
Starbucks was that first coffee shop I walked into,
星巴克就是我第一次参观和工作
worked for, and eventually bought.
最终收购的那家咖啡店
Although, it wasn’t the Starbucks you know today.
不过这个星巴克不是后来大家熟知的那个星巴克
Over the years, I managed to transform it
经过很多年 我尝试将它改造为
into the drink shop I always imagined
我一直梦想的咖啡店
that people said was”dumb”, a”bad idea”,”wouldn’t work”.
那个大家觉得愚蠢不切实际的咖啡店
It’s grown to be a place that is more than specialty coffee drinks,
它不仅成为了提供特殊咖啡饮品的店
but a place to study, meet friends and feel comfortable.
还成为了学习 会友 休闲的好去处
There are now more than 26,736 Starbucks stores
现在已经有超过26,736家星巴克门店
in more than 75 countries employing over 300,00 people.
雇佣超过3万名员工分布在75个国家
But that’s not where my successes lie.
但对我来说这还不算成功
I found my success when I was finally
我真正的成功是当我终于能够
able to give back to every Starbucks employee or,
回馈所有星巴克的员工
partners is what I call them, with stock options,
我也称他们为合作伙伴
free health care, dental care, retirement plans,
回馈他们股份 免费的医疗保险 牙科护理 退休福利
adoption assistance, and paid college tuition for all of our partners.
收养补助还有为所有员工交付大学学费
My father passed away before he could see what I’ve done.
我父亲没能看到我所做这些前就去世了
But I think he’d be proud
不过我想他应该会为我骄傲
to see Starbucks providing hard working class people
因为星巴克给勤劳工作的人们
with benefits he wasn’t able to enjoy or provide.
提供了我父亲未曾享受过的福利
No, I wasn’t the original founder of Starbucks Coffee Company.
虽然我并不是星巴克咖啡公司的创始人
But I had the goal to build a relationship between man and coffee,
但我的目标是在咖啡与人之间建立羁绊
and I made it into the Starbucks you know today.
而我也做到了 在现在你们所熟知的星巴克
Most of all,
最重要的是
I had the dream to build a company that my father was never able to work for.
我梦想能开一家我父亲未能从事过的公司
A company that treated their employees
一家对员工好
how my father and family wanted to be treated.
就像我父亲和我们家所期望那样的公司
It was never about the money, the profits or the possible wealth.
我从来都不是为了金钱 利益或者所谓的财富
It was about the people I would help.
而是为了尽我所能的帮助他人
That is my success.
这就是我的成功
That is my greatest achievement.
这就是我最大的成就
My name is Howard Schultz,
我是霍华德·舒尔茨
and I am the rags to riches who built Starbucks Coffee Company
就是我白手起家将星巴克咖啡公司
into one of the world’s most recognizable brands.
打造成了世界最知名的品牌之一

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

看X的CEO是如何从贫民区白手起家,将X打造为世界知名品牌之一的。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

silverF

审核员

审核员YX

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZ9TyA0EXI

相关推荐