未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

第六感技术的惊异潜力

The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology | Pranav Mistry

我们生长在
We grew up
和周围物体互动的环境里
interacting with the physical objects around us.
有很多很多物品 是我们每天都要用到的
There are an enormous number of them that we use every day.
和大部分计算机软件相比
Unlike most of our computing devices,
这些实体有趣多了
these objects are much more fun to use.
当我们提到物品
When you talk about objects,
会立即出现和这东西有关的另一件事
one other thing automatically comes attached to that thing,
姿势
and that is gestures:
即我们怎么使用这些物品
how we manipulate these objects,
我们在日常生活中如何使用这些物品
how we use these objects in everyday life.
我们不只运用不同姿势来使用物体
We use gestures not only to interact with these objects,
也用来和别人沟通
but we also use them to interact with each other.
合十的姿势 可能是表示尊敬某人 或者是
A gesture of “Namaste!”, maybe, to respect someone, or maybe,
在印度 不必教 小孩都知道这是 —
in India I don’t need to teach a kid that this means
板球的”4″的意思
“four runs” in cricket.
这是我们的生活常识
It comes as a part of our everyday learning.
所以 我一开始 就很有兴趣想了解
So, I am very interested, from the beginning,
我们对于日常用品和姿势的认知
how our knowledge about everyday objects and gestures,
以及如何把这些物品
and how we use these objects,
运用在我们和数字世界的沟通上
can be leveraged to our interactions with the digital world.
为什么没有键盘和鼠标
Rather than using a keyboard and mouse,
我就没办法使用计算机时
why can I not use my computer
不能像和实体世界沟通一样
in the same way that I interact in the physical world?
我的探索从八年前开始
So, I started this exploration around eight years back,
从我桌上的鼠标开始
and it literally started with a mouse on my desk.
我不是在计算机屏幕上使用它 而是拆开它
Rather than using it for my computer, I actually opened it.
你们都知道 在那个年代
Most of you might be aware that, in those days,
鼠标里面有个球
the mouse used to come with a ball inside,
还有两个滚轮
and there were two rollers
然后 当鼠标移动时
that actually guide the computer where the ball is moving,
滚轮会告诉计算机 球滚动的方向
and, accordingly, where the mouse is moving.
我对两个滚轮有兴趣
So, I was interested in these two rollers,
但还需要多几个 所以就跟朋友借他的鼠标
and I actually wanted more, so I borrowed another mouse from a friend —
一直没还他——
never returned to him —
这样就有了四个滚轮
and I now had four rollers.
我怎么用这些滚轮呢——
Interestingly, what I did with these rollers is,
基本上 我把它们从鼠标里拿出来 放在一条线上
basically, I took them off of these mouses and then put them in one line.
有一些线和滑带还有弹簧
It had some strings and pulleys and some springs.
我做出了一个侦测姿势的接口装置
What I got is basically a gesture-interface device
像个动作侦测装置
that actually acts as a motion-sensing device
成本只要两块美元
made for two dollars.
所以 现在 不论我在实体世界做什么
So, here, whatever movement I do in my physical world
在数字的世界里就会反映出来
is actually replicated inside the digital world
只要用这个我8年前做的小东西就可以
just using this small device that I made, around eight years back,
那是2000年
in 2000.
因为我对于整合实体和数字世界有兴趣
Because I was interested in integrating these two worlds,
我想到便利贴
I thought of sticky notes.
我想 “何不把
I thought, “Why can I not connect
实体便利贴的接口
the normal interface of a physical sticky note
和数字世界整合在一起?”
to the digital world?”
在便利贴上写给我妈妈的留言
A message written on a sticky note to my mom,
写在纸上的
on paper,
会议通知自动和我的数字行事历同步
can come to an SMS,
或是写在纸上的会议通知
or maybe a meeting reminder
自动和我的数字行事历同步 —
automatically syncs with my digital calendar —
待办事项会自动在计算机上同步
a to-do list that automatically syncs with you.
但你也同时可以在数字环境里搜寻
But you can also search in the digital world,
或者是你可以写下问题 如
or maybe you can write a query, saying,
“史教授的地址?”
“What is Dr. Smith’s address?”
然后这个小系统就把地址打印出来 —
and this small system actually prints it out —
这就像是个纸做的输出入系统
so it actually acts like a paper input-output system,
用纸就可以做到
just made out of paper.
另一项探索是
In another exploration,
我想到用一枝可以画3D效果的笔
I thought of making a pen that can draw in three dimensions.
所以就设计出这支笔 帮助设计师和建筑师
So, I implemented this pen that can help designers and architects
不只以三度空间思考
not only think in three dimensions,
也可以画3D图形
but they can actually draw,
这样用起来就更直觉多了
so that it’s more intuitive to use that way.
我又想 “何不做一个
Then I thought, “Why not make a Google Map,
实体世界的
but in the physical world?”
不必输入关键词来找东西
Rather than typing a keyword to find something,
而是放这个东西在地图上
I put my objects on top of it.
如果我把登机证放在地图上 它会显示登机口的位置
If I put a boarding pass, it will show me where the flight gate is.
放咖啡杯 它会显示咖啡厅的位置
A coffee cup will show where you can find more coffee,
或垃圾筒的位置
or where you can trash the cup.
这些是早期我做的实验
So, these were some of the earlier explorations I did
我的目的是紧密衔接这两个世界
because the goal was to connect these two worlds seamlessly.
在这些实验之中
Among all these experiments,
有一个共通点:
there was one thing in common:
我都会把实体的东西带进
I was trying to bring a part of the physical world
数字环境里
to the digital world.
我把物品
I was taking some part of the objects,
或生活中 直觉式的东西
or any of the intuitiveness of real life,
带进数字世界里
and bringing them to the digital world,
因为这目的是让计算机接口更人性化
because the goal was to make our computing interfaces more intuitive.
但是后来我了解到 人们对计算机没有兴趣
But then I realized that we humans are not actually interested in computing.
人们有兴趣的是信息
What we are interested in is information.
我们想知道更多事情
We want to know about things.
我们想知道周围的各种动态
We want to know about dynamic things going around.
所以大约在去年――去年年初的时候–
So I thought, around last year — in the beginning of the last year —
我开始想 “我何不颠倒我的研究方向呢?”
I started thinking, “Why can I not take this approach in the reverse way?”
或许 “把数字世界的数字信息
Maybe, “How about I take my digital world
描画在实体世界里?”
and paint the physical world with that digital information?”
因为这些影像 都被包在这些方方的装置里
Because pixels are actually, right now, confined in these rectangular devices
然后放进口袋里
that fit in our pockets.
我何不把这个形体打破
Why can I not remove this confine
把信息放进日常生活中?
and take that to my everyday objects, everyday life
这样我也不必学新的
so that I don’t need to learn the new language
和这些象素沟通的语言?
for interacting with those pixels?
所以为了实现这个梦想
So, in order to realize this dream,
我真的想过把一个投影机放在我的头上
I actually thought of putting a big-size projector on my head.
这就是所谓「投(头)影机」的意思 对吧?
I think that’s why this is called a head-mounted projector, isn’t it?
我照着字面意思做了
I took it very literally,
我把自行车的头盔
and took my bike helmet,
割掉一点 让投影机可以放得进去
put a little cut over there so that the projector actually fits nicely.
这样 我可以 —
So now, what I can do —
在真实世界中用数字讯息环绕我
I can augment the world around me with this digital information.
但是 后来
But later,
我想到 我也要和
I realized that I actually wanted to interact
这些计算机像素沟通
with those digital pixels, also.
所以我加了一个小摄影机 当作数位眼睛
So I put a small camera over there that acts as a digital eye.
之后 我们进一步做成–
Later, we moved to a much better,
使用者导向的颈挂式
consumer-oriented pendant version of that,
就是很多人知道的「第六感计算装置」
that many of you now know as the SixthSense device.
这技术最有趣的地方是
But the most interesting thing about this particular technology
你可以把数字世界带着走
is that you can carry your digital world with you
到任何地方都可以
wherever you go.
你可以用任何表面或墙壁
You can start using any surface, any wall around you,
当成界面
as an interface.
这录像机随时都在侦测你的动作
The camera is actually tracking all your gestures.
不论双手在做什么
Whatever you’re doing with your hands,
它都知道
it’s understanding that gesture.
还有 你看那些色笔
And, actually, if you see, there are some color markers
那是我们早期用的
that in the beginning version we are using with it.
可以在任何墙壁上画画
You can start painting on any wall.
可以停在墙壁前面 开始在墙上作画
You stop by a wall, and start painting on that wall.
而且我们不只侦测一根手指
But we are not only tracking one finger, here.
我们让你可以用两只手全部
We are giving you the freedom of using all of both of your hands,
所以可以用两只手去放大缩小–
so you can actually use both of your hands to zoom into or zoom out
地图 用捏的
of a map just by pinching all present.
录像机 — 收集所有影像 —
The camera is actually doing — just, getting all the images —
执行动作辨识和颜色辨识
is doing the edge recognition and also the color recognition
有很多小程序在里面跑
and so many other small algorithms are going on inside.
技术上有点复杂
So, technically, it’s a little bit complex,
但是让人可以用的很自然
but it gives you an output which is more intuitive to use, in some sense.
但是我更兴奋的是 可以带到户外去用
But I’m more excited that you can actually take it outside.
不必掏出口袋里的照相机
Rather than getting your camera out of your pocket,
只要一个照相的姿势
you can just do the gesture of taking a photo,
它就替你照相了
and it takes a photo for you.
(掌声)
(Applause)
谢谢
Thank you.
拍完之后 我随便找一面墙
And later I can find a wall, anywhere,
就开始浏览这些照片
and start browsing those photos
或“我想修改一下这些照片
or maybe, “OK, I want to modify this photo a little bit
然后用电子邮件寄给朋友”
and send it as an email to a friend.”
所以 我们面对的时代是
So, we are looking for an era
与实体世界融合在一起的运算
where computing will actually merge with the physical world.
如果你没有平面可用
And, of course, if you don’t have any surface,
手掌也可以处理简单的功能
you can start using your palm for simple operations.
我在这里只用我的手 拨电话号码
Here, I’m dialing a phone number just using my hand.
摄影机不只了解你手部的动作
The camera is actually not only understanding your hand movements,
而且
but, interestingly,
它还知道在你手里拿着的是什么东西
is also able to understand what objects you are holding in your hand.
举个例 在这里
For example, in this case,
这本书的封面
the book cover is matched
正在和在线的数以百万计的书封面比对
with so many thousands, or maybe millions of books online,
找寻这是哪一本书
and checking out which book it is.
一旦找到数据
Once it has that information,
它会找到书评
it finds out more reviews about that,
或者 可能纽约时报有个有声的简介
or maybe New York Times has a sound overview on that,
你就可以 在实体书上 听到
so you can actually hear, on a physical book,
有声的书评
a review as sound.
(“哈佛大学的著名演讲 …”)
(Video) Famous talk at Harvard University —
这是奥巴玛总统上周来MIT的演讲
This was Obama’s visit last week to MIT.
(“… 我特别要感谢2位MIT …”)
(Video) And particularly I want to thank two outstanding MIT —
我看到他演讲的实况录像
Pranav Mistry: So, I was seeing the live of his talk,
仅仅通过报纸就可以
outside, on just a newspaper.
你的报纸会给你看动态天气报导
Your newspaper will show you live weather information
不必去更新数据
rather than having it updated.
这原本 要上计算机才找得到 是吗?
You have to check your computer in order to do that, right?
(掌声)
(Applause)
我回印度时 我只要拿出我的登机证
When I’m going back, I can just use my boarding pass
就可以知道我的班机延误多久
to check how much my flight has been delayed,
因为在这种时候
because at that particular time,
我不想打开iPhone
I’m not feeling like opening my iPhone,
点选某个功能图案
and checking out a particular icon.
我相信这个技术不只改变–
And I think this technology will not only change the way —
(笑声)
(Laughter)
是的
Yes.
也会改变我们和别人的交流
It will change the way we interact with people, also,
不只在实体世界里
not only the physical world.
好玩的是 我在波士顿的捷运上
The fun part is, I’m going to the Boston metro,
玩踢毽子游戏 在地上玩 不错吧?
and playing a pong game inside the train on the ground, right?
(笑声)
(Laughter)
我相信 当这种技术和实体生活混在一起时
And I think the imagination is the only limit
想象力是唯一能限制
of what you can think of
我们的东西
when this kind of technology merges with real life.
但很多人会说–
But many of you argue, actually,
我的工作和实体物品没什么关系
that all of our work is not only about physical objects.
我们做的大多是会计 编辑这类的事
We actually do lots of accounting and paper editing
对于这些 你怎么处理?
and all those kinds of things; what about that?
很多人很期待新一代的平板计算机
And many of you are excited about the next-generation tablet computers
上市
to come out in the market.
与其等待
So, rather than waiting for that,
我干脆自己做一个 只用了一张纸
I actually made my own, just using a piece of paper.
我把录像机上的–
So, what I did here is remove the camera —
所有网络度影机上都有个麦克风
All the webcam cameras have a microphone inside the camera.
我把麦克风拿下来
I removed the microphone from that,
夹上――
and then just pinched that —
就像是做了个夹式麦克风 —
like I just made a clip out of the microphone —
夹在纸上 随便的一张纸
and clipped that to a piece of paper, any paper that you found around.
每当我碰到纸的时候
So now the sound of the touch
这在纸上接触的声音就会通知计算机
is getting me when exactly I’m touching the paper.
录像机还在追踪我的手指的移动
But the camera is actually tracking where my fingers are moving.
你当然也可以看电影
You can of course watch movies.
(“午安 我叫罗素 …”)
(Video) Good afternoon. My name is Russell,
(“… 我是第54团的荒野探险者”)
and I am a Wilderness Explorer in Tribe 54.”
也可以玩游戏
PM: And you can of course play games.
(汽车引擎声)
(Car engine)
摄影机知道你拿纸的方向
Here, the camera is actually understanding how you’re holding the paper
就可以玩赛车游戏
and playing a car-racing game.
(掌声)
(Applause)
很多人早又想到了 可以浏览
Many of you already must have thought, OK, you can browse.
对 当然可以浏览任何网站
Yeah. Of course you can browse to any websites
甚至在纸上做各种运算
or you can do all sorts of computing on a piece of paper
在任何你需要的地方
wherever you need it.
更有趣的是
So, more interestingly,
我想把这个功能变得更强大一点
I’m interested in how we can take that in a more dynamic way.
当我回到桌上 我可以捏住那个信息–
When I come back to my desk, I can just pinch that information
然后放到我的计算机屏幕上
back to my desktop
这样我就可以用我的桌上计算机
so I can use my full-size computer.
(掌声)
(Applause)
为什么要计算机? 用纸也很好玩
And why only computers? We can just play with papers.
纸的世界很好玩
Paper world is interesting to play with.
我把文章的一部分
Here, I’m taking a part of a document,
放在这里 当成第二部份 —
and putting over here a second part from a second place,
用纸然后调整–这里的信息
and I’m actually modifying the information that I have over there.
好 然后我说 “好 这样很好 我要打印出来”
Yeah. And I say, “OK, this looks nice, let me print it out, that thing.”
就有了一份打印文件 这样 —
So I now have a print-out of that thing.
工作流程比我们以前用的方式更人性了
So the workflow is more intuitive,
像20年前的工作方式
the way we used to do it maybe 20 years back,
而不是像现在 要在两个世界里切换
rather than now switching between these two worlds.
最后
So, as a last thought,
我相信把信息和所有对象整合
I think that integrating information to everyday objects
不仅可以消灭数字落差
will not only help us to get rid of the digital divide,
把两个世界间的鸿沟填满
the gap between these two worlds,
还可以帮助我们
but will also help us, in some way,
保有人性
to stay human,
让我们和实体世界更连结
to be more connected to our physical world.
最终会帮助我们不要变成
And it will actually help us not end up being machines
坐在机器前面的另一部机器
sitting in front of other machines.
就这样 谢谢
That’s all. Thank you.
(掌声)
(Applause)
谢谢
Thank you.
(掌声)
(Applause)
Chris Anderson:嗯 Pranav 首先你是个天才
Chris Anderson: So, Pranav, first of all, you’re a genius.
这真的太棒了 真的
This is incredible, really.
你预备怎么做? 你想开个公司吗?
What are you doing with this? Is there a company being planned?
还是一直继续研究下去?还是有其它的打算?
Or is this research forever, or what?
Pranav Mistry: 很多公司 —
Pranav Mistry: So, there are lots of companies,
就是Medi L b的赞助者 有兴趣
sponsor companies of Media Lab interested in taking this ahead
以其他方法继续研究
in one or another way.
像行动通讯公司
Companies like mobile-phone operators
和印度非营利机构的应用方法便不同
want to take this in a different way than the NGOs in India,
这些机构想 “为什么只有’第六感’?
thinking, “Why can we only have ‘Sixth Sense’?
我们应该为残障人士 设置第五感 如 哑巴
We should have a ‘Fifth Sense’ for missing-sense people who cannot speak.
这种技术可以让他们用另一种方式「说」出来’’
This technology can be used for them to speak out in a different way
配个喇叭就可以”
maybe a speaker system.”
C : 你自己的打算呢? 要留在MIT吗 ?
CA: What are your own plans? Are you staying at MIT,
还是你也要参与这些计划?
or are you going to do something with this?
PM: 我正试着让这技术更广泛的被人们使用
PM: I’m trying to make this more available to people
让大家都能开发自己的”第六感”装置
so that anyone can develop their own SixthSense device,
因为硬件其实不难制造
because the hardware is actually not that hard to manufacture
自己做也不难
or hard to make your own.
我们会提供开放式程序代码软件给大家
We will provide all the open source software for them,
可能下个月就可以
maybe starting next month.
C :开放程序代码?哇
CA: Open source? Wow.
(掌声)
(Applause)
C : 你会回到印度做这些计划吗?
CA: Are you going to come back to India with some of this, at some point?
是 是 当然
PM: Yeah. Yes, yes, of course.
C : 你的计划呢? MIT?
CA: What are your plans? MIT? India?
印度? 未来怎样分配你的时间?
How are you going to split your time going forward?
这里有很大的能量 很多东西可以学
PM: There is a lot of energy here. Lots of learning.
你刚刚看到的 都是我在印度学的
All of this work that you have seen is all about my learning in India.
往成本效益方面去考虑:
And now, if you see, it’s more about the cost-effectiveness:
这个系统只要300美元
this system costs you $300
和2万美元的桌面计算机相比
compared to the $20,000 surface tables, or anything like that.
或甚至2块美元的鼠标 当年可能要价5000 美元?
Or maybe even the $2 mouse gesture system at that time was costing around $5,000?
不久前 我把这东西展示给印度总统看
I showed that, at a conference, to President Abdul Kalam, at that time,
他说: “我们应该在原子研究所里用这个技术
and then he said, “OK, we should use this in Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
做些研究”
for some use of that.”
我很期待可以把这些技术带给普罗大众
So I’m excited about how I can bring the technology to the masses
而不是把这些技术留在实验室里
rather than just keeping that technology in the lab environment.
(掌声)
(Applause)
CA: 我们在 TED 遇过的人之中
CA: Based on the people we’ve seen at TED,
我可以说你是少数2-3个
I would say you’re truly one of the two or three
世界上顶尖的发明家之一
best inventors in the world right now.
TED很荣幸邀你来演讲
It’s an honor to have you at TED.
非常感谢
Thank you so much.
真是太棒了
That’s fantastic.
(掌声)
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

关于第六感技术,印度科学家的新发明,了解科学

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

hmd

审核员

赖皮

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrtANPtnhyg

相关推荐