未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

女性领导者的好感度困境

The Likability Dilemma for Women Leaders | Robin Hauser | TED

I’m a middle child, and I was born leaning in.
我在家排行老二 可我生来就向前一步
For as long as I can remember,
从我记事起
I’ve had this insatiable desire to compete, to accomplish
我就强烈渴望去竞争 去成就
and to prove myself.
和证明自己
My energy isn’t easily contained,
我的精力不容易被抑制住
and I’ve been called by both men and women
而且人们都说我是
intense, high-octane, aggressive.
尖锐的 咄咄逼人的 好斗的
These words don’t feel like compliments to me.
这些话听起来不像是在赞美我
I try to control my eagerness.
我努力克制热情
I try to be softer.
试着温和一点
It’s exhausting.
这使人疲惫不堪
[Laughter]
[大笑]
The truth is, this tough shell conceals sensitivities and insecurities
事实上 只有我最亲近的人才知道
that only those closest to me know.
我坚强的外表下隐藏着的是敏感和不安全感
And yeah, my masculine traits make me the kind of gal
是的 只要我不是他们的老板
that can hang with the guys, as long as I’m not their boss.
我的男性化特点让我成为那种与男人们打成一片的女孩
Last winter, I was walking through a ski resort
去年冬天 我经过一个滑雪场
and a man came up to me and said,
然后一个男人走到我面前说
“Excuse me, are you with a husband or a fiance?”
“打扰了 你是和你的丈夫来的 还是和未婚夫来的?”
“No,” I said, and I continued toward the lifts.
“不是 ”我说 然后我继续走向升降电梯
And then curiosity got the better of me.
但是我还是被好奇心打败了
And I turned around and asked the guy why he wanted to know
然后我转身问他为什么想知道
if I was with a man.
我是否是和一个男人来的
“I’m selling timeshares. It’s a real estate thing.”
“我是卖分时度假 这是关于房地产的”
[Laughter]
[大笑]
“And you don’t sell to women?”
“那你不卖给女性吗?”
“Oh, are you interested?”
“哦 你感兴趣吗?”
“No.”
“不”
[Laughter]
[大笑]
“But you do know women carry checkbooks, too?”
“但是你知道女人也会带着支票簿吗?”
And at that, he looked at me and said, “Wow, lady, you’re tough.”
就那个时候 他看着我说到 “哇 女士 你很强硬啊”
[Laughter]
[大笑]
Modern day sexism is different than it was in the past
现在对女性的性别歧视与过去不同
when a blatant comment about a woman’s physique
在过去对于女性体形的公然评论
or a chummy pat on the derriere was tolerated,
或者在臀部亲密的拍打是可容忍的
maybe even accepted.
甚至是可以接受的
Today’s sexism can be more subtle.
今天对女性的性别歧视就更微妙了
Little nuances that might seem like no big deal to some,
对一些人来说 细微差别似乎没什么大不了的
but their impact can have the effect of a thousand cuts.
但它们的影响可能会引起一千次的痛苦
That day at the ski resort resulted in more than just another microabrasion.
那天在滑雪场发生的不仅是又一次的性别歧视摩擦
It sparked a curiosity in me about perceptions that we have
还燃起了我对大家
for women versus men.
对于女性与男性的看法的好奇
I wanted to know why do we perceive women differently
我想知道为什么当我们坚持自己的主张时
when we assert ourselves.
我们对女性的看法会有所不同
So I did a little research and I came across something,
所以为了确保这不是我的全部想法
just to make sure this wasn’t all on my mind,
我做了点研究并且偶然发现了一些东西
called the competence/likability dilemma,
叫做能力/好感度困境
where women, unlike men,
在这种困境中的女人 不同于男人
are rarely perceived to be both competent and likable.
她们很少被认为既能干又讨人喜欢
Now we should take a moment to define the word “likable.”
现在我们应该花点时间来定义这个词“讨人喜欢的”
“Merriam-Webster”says “likeable” is:
《韦氏字典》解释“讨人喜欢”是:
“having qualities that bring about a favorable regard,
“具有使人产生好感的
pleasant or agreeable.”
令人愉快的或者愉悦的品质”
“The Urban Dictionary” says:
《城市字典》解释:
“likeable, an adjective meaning pleasant or attractive.
“讨人喜欢的 是形容词意思是令人愉快的或者有吸引力的
It describes something that is easy to like.”
用来描述某样容易让人喜欢上的事物”
The sad truth is, most of us don’t find strong, competent women easy to like.
可悲的事实是 我们大多数人都并不喜欢内心强大 有能力的女人
In 2003, Professor Flynn at Columbia Business School
在2003年 哥伦比亚商学院弗林教授
conducted an experiment.
做了一个实验
He took a case study about Heidi Roizen, a successful female venture capitalist,
一个关于成功女性风投人海蒂·罗森的案例研究实验
and he changed the name to Howard Roizen.
然后教授把海蒂·罗森改名为霍华德·罗森
Everything else about the case study remained the same.
案例里的其他一切都保持不变
He gave half of his class the Heidi Roizen case study
教授给班里一半人讲解海蒂·罗森案例研究
and the other half the Howard Roizen case study.
另一半讲解霍华德·罗森案例研究
And he asked the students to rate
然后他叫学生们评价
how competent and how likable Heidi and Howard were.
海蒂和霍华德的能力以及对他们的好感度
Both female and male students found Heidi and Howard to be equally competent.
女学生和男学生都认为海蒂和霍华德一样有能力
But the students tended not to like Heidi.
但学生们往往不太喜欢海蒂
They thought that she was a little too aggressive and out for herself.
他们认为她可能有点太激进和过于自私了
Neither female nor male students wanted to work for or hire Heidi,
男女学生都不想为海蒂工作或者雇佣她
but they all thought Howard would make a great colleague.
但是他们都认为霍华德会是一个好同事
Why?
为什么?
Because in our society, women are penalized
因为在我们的社会 当我们的行为
when we behave in ways that violate gender norms.
违反性别规范时 女性是处于不利地位的
Our gender stereotypes show that women should be kind, nurturing,
在我们的性别刻板印象里女性应该善良 有教养的
helpful, supportive, deferential,
助人为乐的 能给予帮助的 顺从的
while traditionally men are expected to be decisive, competent,
然而传统上男人应该是果断的 有能力的
assertive and strong.
坚定而内心强大的
So the dilemma for women
那么女性的困境
is that the qualities which we value in leadership,
就是我们在领导力中所看重的品质
such as assertiveness and decisiveness,
比如自信和决策力
go against societal norms of what it is to be a likable woman.
违背了成为讨人喜欢的女人的社会标准
I’m a documentary filmmaker,
我是一位纪录片制作人
so I’m nothing if not curious.
如果没有好奇心我什么也不是
But I’ve learned that being inquisitive is not an admired female trait.
但我已经知道好奇心重并不是一种被赞美的女性特点
I was at a cocktail party last week,
上周在一个鸡尾酒会上
and I asked a man what line of business he was in.
我问了一个男人他做哪个行业的
“Fintech,” he said.
“金融科技 ”他说
Curious. I dug a little deeper.
因为好奇 我问的更深入了
“Oh, what type?”
“哦 哪种类型?”
“It’s complicated.”
“它很复杂的”
[Laughter]
[大笑]
End of discussion.
讨论结束
OK. Now it’s possible that he wanted to spare me some long explanation,
好吧 现在他可能不想给我冗长的解释
but it’s more likely that his bias, implicit or not,
但更可能的是他的偏见 无论是否隐含
informed him that as a woman I wouldn’t understand finance.
告诉他作为女人 我不会懂金融
Either way, I’m fairly certain he wouldn’t have said
无论哪种方式 我相当肯定如果我是个男人
“it’s complicated “had I been a man.
他就不会说“它很复杂”
I absorb the sting of one more cut.
我承受着又一次的痛苦
Most of us are not aware of why we don’t find strong women likable.
我们中的大部分人都不知道为什么我们不认为女强人是可爱的
There’s just something about her that bugs us.
因为她们身上有些东西让我们感到厌烦
But deep inside, at the root of this is an unconscious bias.
但在内心深处 这种现象的根源是一种无意识的偏见
Bias is a survival heuristic that we inherited from our ancestors.
偏见是我们从祖先那里继承下来的生存启发方法
The problem is, it’s unconscious.
问题是 它是无意识的
And as humans, we don’t have the ability to recognize when we’re being biased,
作为人类 即使我们能从其他人身上看见偏见
even if we can see it in other people.
我们仍没有能力辨别我们何时会有偏见
We all, most of us, anyway, believe ourselves to be fair,
不管怎样 我们所有人 我们中的大部分人 相信我们自己
open-minded and unbiased.
是公平的 开放的并且没有偏见的
And yet, I will admit, I too found Hillary’s voice to be shrill.
但 我承认 我也发觉希拉里的声音是刺耳的
As long as society continues to associate leadership with masculine traits,
只要社会还继续把领导力与男性的特质联系起来
female leaders will be judged more harshly,
即便女性领导的表现优于男性
even when they outperform male counterparts.
女性领导还是会受到更苛刻的评判
So it’s no wonder that in the United States, female politicians suffer greatly,
所以女性政治家深受痛苦在美国一点也不奇怪
as our elections tend to value likability over competency.
因为我们的选举更看重好感度而不是能力
Women hold only 25 percent of the seats in Congress.
在国会女性只拥有25%的席位
The competence/likability dilemma has huge consequences, not just in politics,
能力/好感度困境不光在政治方面造成了严重后果
but also in education and in the workplace,
在教育和工作场所亦如此
where studies show that women in meetings with both genders
研究表明 与两性会面的女性
are less likely to contribute knowledge.
较少贡献知识
As women we’re told to lean in,
作为女人我们被教导要向前一步
and yet there’s backlash when we do.
而当我们这样做时又会遭到强烈反对
A recent study shows that women
最近的研究表明女性
are not as good as men at negotiating for themselves.
在为她们自己的谈判时表现不如男性
And yet, women outperform men
可是 当女性
when they negotiate on behalf of someone else.
代表他人去谈判时 女性表现的比男性好
This is because women who negotiate for themselves
这是因为在为自己谈判的时候
are perceived as selfish,
女性会被认为是自私的
and women who negotiate on behalf of someone else
而代表某人去谈判的女性
are perceived to be helpful.
会被认为是乐于助人的
And a helpful woman might be liked more than a woman who is assertive,
并且一个乐于助人的女人比自信的女人更受欢迎
but the helpful woman will not be recognized
但是乐于助人的女人就不会被认为
as having what it takes to be a successful leader.
具有能成为一位成功领导者的条件
Last week I was quoting my speaker fee to a potential client,
上周我向一位潜在的客户报价演说费用
and when I told him the price, he said to me,
然后当我告诉他价格时 他对我说
“Wow. Good for you. That’s a lot.
“哇唔 这倒是对你有好处 太贵了
Isn’t documentary filmmaking kind of, like, your hobby?”
纪录片制作难道不是你的爱好吗?”
[Laughter]
[大笑]
Ouch.
哎哟
As humans, we’re limited to what we can do to mitigate our biases.
作为人类 我们在减轻偏见方面所能做的事情是有限的
So even if we were able to, say, implement a tool
所以即使我们能采取方法
that would bring more women into upper management,
使更多女性进入高级管理层
it’s highly likely that we would still evaluate
我们还是容易带着偏见
the performance of those women with biased perceptions.
去评论那些女人的表现
Clearly, leadership and likability should not be mutually exclusive
很显然 对于女性和男性来说 领导能力和
for women or for men.
好感度不应该相互排斥
So how do we solve for this dilemma?
我们该怎么解决这个困境?
I wish I could offer you a cure to unconscious bias.
我希望能为你们提供应对无意识偏见的对策
I don’t believe there is one.
我其实不相信有什么对策
But we need to disrupt stereotypes
但是我们需要打破刻板印象
and redefine what it is to be a leader and a woman.
并且重新定义什么是领导和什么是女人
Obviously, this is a long-term solution that
很显然 这是一个长远的解决办法
that could take generations,
需要花费几代人的时间
but it’s a vital step.
但是这已经是至关重要的一步
We need to speak up.
我们需要发声
Speak up when you witness gender bias.
当你目睹性别偏见的时候请说出来
Question comments that are made about a woman’s appearance or personality
向那些关于女性外表或性格
rather than her skills or ability.
而不是技能或能力的评价提出质疑
And we need to slow down.
同时我们需要慢下来
Question yourself. Reconsider your snap judgments.
盘问一下自己 反思你仓促的判断
Ask yourself,
问问自己
does that woman bug me for reasons that really matter?
那个女人来烦我真的是有什么重要的事吗?
And forget about likability,
如果你们可以 女士们
ladies, women, if you can.
忘记讨人喜欢
Instead focus on being awesome.
而是专注于变得很棒
Be a smart, compassionate, effective leader
成为一个有智慧 有同情心 高效的领导
that will redefine the stereotype of what a female leader is.
这将会重新定义女性作为领导的刻板印象
I’ve wasted a lot of time worrying about how I am perceived.
我浪费了很多时间来担心我会被如何看待
If I ask a lot of questions,
如果我问了大量问题
will you find me combative?
你们会认为我是好斗的人吗?
If I tell you about an accomplishment I’m proud of,
如果我告诉你们我引以为豪的成就
you might think I’m conceited.
你们可能会认为我是狂妄自负的
But I need and seek the approval and recognition
但是我需要寻求我的家庭 我的朋友
of my family, of my friends and of my colleagues.
和我同事的认可和表彰
Like many of you, I want to be liked,
像你们中的大多数人一样 我想要被喜欢
and I’m hopeful for the day when women can be recognized
我希望有那么一天 女性可以被认为是
as being competent and likable,
有能力且可爱的
a day when we value each other regardless of gender,
有那么一天 我们可以忽略性别 重视彼此
for the unique contributions that we each bring to the table.
因为我们每个人都为此做了独特的贡献
That would be the day that I won’t have to worry about being liked.
那就是我不用担心我是否被喜欢的一天
I can just be me.
我就做我自己
Thank you.
谢谢
[Applause]
[掌声]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

从过去到现在,我们一直对女性领导持有偏见。女性作为领导者,是更看重她的能力还是亲和力?我们来听听这位纪录片制作人的演讲吧。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Chow

审核员

审核员HSX

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2I4tus05hI

相关推荐