未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

对“good”与“bad”的罪状审判

The case against "good" and "bad"

(音乐)
(Music)
尊敬的各位陪审人员
Esteemed members of the jury,
接下来我将呈送的是单词是词汇表中
I submit the following words for immediate and violent execution
用以迅速强烈执行及提取的单词
and extraction from our vocabularies,
如果你愿意,就永远被封存的单词。
to be locked away forever, if you would prefer.
这些单词是“好”和”坏”.
These words I present to you are "good" and "bad."
这些单词自古以来就是
These words have served as treacherous liars
奸诈的谎话精。
for eternity.
这两个单词狼狈为奸
These two words have worked in tandem
产生了阻碍人类创造力的模棱两可闪烁其词的语句。
to produce vague and bland sentences that have crippled the creativity of humanity.
这两个极其简单的小单词
These two deceptively tiny words
扼杀了真实的描述和诚恳的交流。
stifle real description and honest communication.
看看它俩,就只是坐在那
Look at them, just sitting there on this page,
自以为是地对它们的工作自鸣得意
all smug and satisfied with their work.
它们怎么敢这样?
How dare they?
你们对我们的世界没有贡献
You serve no purpose in our world,
我们还必须摆脱你们的影响。
and we must rid ourselves of your influence.
我们必须用事实来代替这两个词语,
We must replace these two words with the truth,
用包含足够多并且真诚的形容词。
with phrases that include adequate and sincere adjectives.
可以用“光芒四射”“目瞪口呆”“一塌糊涂”“撕心裂肺”。
I’ll offer you "radiant," "stupefying," "awful," "gut-wrenching."
这些单词清楚明了,含义深刻。
These choices create clarity and depth.
“好”和“坏”只是灰色的模糊不清的描述。
"Good" and "bad" only provide gray vagueness.
我们必须要点色彩。
We must demand color!
我们甚至应该用值得欣赏的千回百转的明喻和暗喻。
We should even use winding similes and metaphors, where appropriate.
我们必须全力以赴而且应该将真实的感想公诸于众。
We have to do whatever we can and should to make our real sentiments known.
“好”和“坏”将永远不会成为我们
"Good" and "bad" will no longer be our go-to words
太害怕或者太倦怠而不能表达自己真实想法时的挡箭牌
that we rely on when we are too afraid or too languid to express our real thoughts.
陪审团的先生们女士们,我恳请你们给这两个词判定罪名
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I implore you to deliver a verdict of guilty
以使其走向正轨。
and send these words to their rightful fate.
现在,想象一下没有这两个词语的世界。
Now imagine a world without these two words.
想象一下到处都是真实描述的世界
Imagine a world where real description is required,
深度挖掘我们的词汇表
digging further into our vocabulary
而不是为了不诚实做单一地努力。
than just a monosyllabic effort to get away with not being honest,
合乎实际的,富有创造性的。
impactful, creative.
我的发型怎么样?
How does my hair look?
还行。那是什么鬼?
Good. What is that?
不想说实话的无聊企图?
A dull attempt not to be honest?
也许我的头发看起来是乱七八糟的缠结和秃头斑点。
Perhaps my hair looks like a hideous mess of tangles and bald spots.
但是有些人不想说实话所以就用了快捷的方法“还不错”
Yet someone does not want to be honest, and offers the quick fix "good,"
努力掩饰真相。
to try and mask the truth
并将我置于顶着杂乱无章糟糕透顶长发的夜晚。
and send me hurling into the evening with a plop of disorganized tresses.
不应该是这样。
This will not do.
也许我的头发看起来光鲜亮丽如同精美雕塑
Perhaps my hair looks like an amazing glossy sculpture
将我的脸蛋也烘托得更美丽了。
that frames my face perfectly,
美丽的魔法持续到晚上。
and lends an air of magic to the night.
好吧,“还不错”起不到什么作用。
Well, "good" just doesn’t cut it.
我从这些无形的,毫无生气的描述中什么也得不到。
I won’t take any more of this formless, lifeless description.
我不会相信这些谎话,你也同样不该相信。
I will not take these lies, and neither should you.
医生问你感觉如何,
A doctor asks you how you feel.
“我觉得不太好。”
"I feel bad."
简直搞毛啊!
Heresy!
医生根据这个毫无价值的描述,
The doctor, based on this paltry report,
可以得出你有脑癌或者流感或者狂犬病的结论。
could conclude that you have brain cancer or the flu or rabies.
这归功于你自己和你生活的误诊
You owe it to yourself and the possible misdiagnosis of your life
老实说你感觉如何。
to be honest about exactly how you feel.
我感觉像成群的袋熊占据了我的胸
"I feel like a herd of wombats has taken up in my chest."
啊哈!我们拥有它。一个精确的描述。
A-ha! There we have it. An accurate description.
现在医生为了帮助你有了一些真实的证据去工作
Now the doctor has some real evidence to work with in order to assist you.
我们对好坏这样的词语麻痹,甚至上瘾
We have become addicted to the numbness that "good" and "bad" have created.
我们变成了语言的懒汉
We have become linguistic slobs,
不厌倦的炮制着“好”与“坏”
churning out “good” and “bad”
无论如何是我们太懒惰了导致我们不能进行思想交流
wherever we are too lazy to allow our minds to communicate
创造力和规范。
with creativity and specification.
你看起来不错,听起来不错
You look good, you sound bad, this tastes good,
尝起来还不错,天气不太好。
the weather looks bad.
都是一个接一个的谎言
Lie after lie,
重复着这种苍白无力的语言
repeating this verbal gray, this sloshy mush,
这些模糊的图片反映不出事实的真相
this fuzzy picture that reflects no real truth.
取代他们的是充满杂质的,详细的条款
Replace them with grittier, exact terms
我们被自己的语言埋藏,等待着黎明
that have been buried in our Lexis, waiting to see daylight.
天气不再看起来有好坏
No longer does the weather look good or bad,
天气分为令我们不爽的或是我们开心的
the weather looks ominous or exhilarating.
没有东西尝起来有好吃难吃之分
Nothing tastes good or bad.
食物尝起来像发光的枕头
It tastes like pillows of sparkles
或者是破鞋子和粪便
or old shoe and dung.
我们不再被好或者坏缠绕
No more of sounding good or bad.
你听起来像活跃的宝宝的笑声
You sound like lilting baby laughter
或者是向战争进军的恶魔
or ogres marching to war.
亲爱的上帝啊,你不分好坏
Dear God, you do not look good or bad.
你看起来像温柔的天使或忧郁的农牧神
You look like a feathery angel or a morose faun.
今天,你看看这两个词
Today, you look at these two words,
这两个词是好和坏
"good" and "bad,"
仔细地检查一下它们
examine them closely.
因为在它们背后似乎是谦虚的容貌
Because behind their seemingly unassuming visages
居住着欺骗性的奉承并抑制着真相
reside two deceitful offerings that smother the truth.
这两个字是骗子
These words are liars.
这两个字必须被停止使用
These words must be stopped.
把它们从我们的语言中移走才能使城市回到我们的交流中
Remove them from our language so that honesty can return to our communication.
女士们,先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
如果我说你们成为了一个好的评委
if I say to you that you have been a good jury,
你会带着这个称赞,做出你的决定,并且继续你的一天
you will take the compliment, make your decision and go on about your day.
但是如果我对你说你是一个可敬的评委
But if I say to you that you are an honorable jury,
我希望你们不动摇决心
and that I hope your unshakeable determination
使人类的词汇变得更好
to better the vocabulary of humanity
会产生寻找好坏时的内疚
will result in finding "good" and "bad" guilty,
你会认识到这个争论的证据
you will recognize the ingenuity of this argument
发现”好”和”坏”的罪状。
and find “good”and “bad” guilty.
(音乐)
(Music)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述
听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

收集自网络

审核员

自动通过审核

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5zDkW1thls

相关推荐