未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

未来会是超越现实的虚拟世界吗

The birth of virtual reality as an art form | Chris Milk

当我还是个小孩子的时候
When I was a kid,
我经历了一件很震撼人心的事情
I experienced something so powerful,
我在接下来的生活中一直在找寻它
I spent the rest of my life searching for it,
却总找错了地方
and in all the wrong places.
我经历的并不是虚拟现实
What I experienced wasn’t virtual reality.
而是音乐
It was music.
而这就是故事开始的地方
And this is where the story begins.
那是我
That’s me,
正在听披头士的《白色专辑》
listening to the Beatles’ “White Album.”
而我脸上的表情
And the look on my face is the feeling
就是一直以来我在寻找的感觉
that I’ve been searching for ever since.
音乐触动你感情的心弦
Music goes straight to the emotional vein,
融入你的血流
into your bloodstream
直达你的内心
and right into your heart.
它会加深所有的体验
It deepens every experience.
伙伴们?
Fellas?
(音乐)
(Music)
这是我们最棒的McKenzie Stubbert
This is the amazing McKenzie Stubbert
和Joshua Roman
and Joshua Roman.
音乐
Music —
(掌声)
(Applause)
是的
Yeah.
音乐让一切事物拥有更多的情感共鸣
Music makes everything have more emotional resonance.
让我们看看它对这次演讲的效果如何
Let’s see how it does for this talk.
恰到好处的音乐片段 会在细胞层面
The right piece of music at the right time fuses with us
与我们融为一体
on a cellular level.
当我听着那首歌
When I hear that one song
在那个夏天
from that one summer
和那个姑娘
with that one girl,
刹那间 我仿佛回到了过去
I’m instantly transported back there again.
嗨 Stacey
Hey, Stacey.
接下来是故事的一部分 尽管我有些贪心
Here’s a part of the story, though, where I got a little greedy.
我想如果在音乐之上 再多加一些层次
I thought if I added more layers on top of the music,
我可以让情感更加强烈
I could make the feelings even more powerful.
所以我开始导演音乐视频
So I got into directing music videos.
这是那些音乐的模样
This is what they looked like.
那是我的兄弟 Jeff
That’s my brother, Jeff.
不好意思了Jeff
Sorry about this, Jeff.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
这是我 这样我们就扯平了
Here’s me, just so we’re even.
难以置信的动作
Incredible moves.
我应该成为一名舞蹈家的
Should’ve been a dancer.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
这些实验在不断进步
These experiments grew,
并且最终看起来像这样
and in time, started to look more like this.
在这两者之中 我都在找寻相同的东西
In both, I’m searching for the same thing, though,
将那道闪光捕获于瓶中
to capture that lightning in a bottle.
然而 我并没有做到
Except, I’m not.
在音乐之上增加动画 这确实增加了一个叙述维度
Adding moving pictures over the music added narrative dimension, yes,
却永远不能等同于
but never quite equated the power
单纯原始的音乐本身所带来的力量
that just raw music had for me on its own.
意识到这种结论并不是件很棒的事情 尤其是当你已经全身心地把你的生活
This is not a great thing to realize when you’ve devoted your life
和职业生涯投入到 成为音乐视频导演的时候
and professional career to becoming a music video director.
我时常扪心自问 我选择了错误的路线吗?
I kept asking myself, did I take the wrong path?
然后我开始思考:如果我可以让身为观众的你们更加投入
So I started thinking: if I could involve you, the audience, more,
也许就可以让你们感受到更多
I might be able to make you feel something more as well.
所以Aaron Koblin和我开始试镜新的技术
So Aaron Koblin and I began auditioning new technologies
让你们可以更多地进入作品中
that could put more of you inside of the work,
就像在《The Wilderness Downtown》中 你们童年时期的家
like your childhood home in “The Wilderness Downtown,”
《The Johnny Cash Project》中你们手绘的肖像
your hand-drawn portraits, in “The Johnny Cash Project,”
以及《3 Dreams of Black》中
and your interactive dreams
你们那可以触摸的梦想
in “3 Dreams of Black.”
我们在努力突破屏幕
We were pushing beyond the screen,
试图更加深刻地连接
trying to connect more deeply
人们的内心与想象
to people’s hearts and imaginations.
但这还不完全足够
But it wasn’t quite enough.
它还是没有单纯音乐能带给我 原始而深远的震撼
It still didn’t have the raw experiential power of pure music for me.
所以我开始追寻一种新的技术
So I started chasing a new technology
我只在科幻小说中读到过它
that I only had read about in science fiction.
在多年的探寻之后 我找到了一个原型
And after years of searching, I found a prototype.
它是南加州大学Mark Bolas实验室 Nonny de la Peña的一个项目
It was a project from Nonny de la Peña in Mark Bolas’s lab in USC.
当我尝试它的时候 我知道我找到它了
And when I tried it, I knew I’d found it.
我可以捉到那道光了
I could taste the lightning.
它叫做虚拟现实
It was called virtual reality.
这是五年前我遇见它时的样子
This was it five years ago when I ran into it.
这是它现在看起来的样子
This is what it looks like now.
我迅速地开始在这个新媒介中构建作品
I quickly started building things in this new medium,
在那个过程中我们意识到了一些东西:
and through that process we realized something:
虚拟现实将会在媒介的历史中
that VR is going to play an incredibly important role
扮演不可思议的角色
in the history of mediums.
事实上 它将会是最后一个媒介
In fact, it’s going to be the last one.
我这么说是因为它是第一个这样的媒介
I mean this because it’s the first medium that actually makes the jump
实现了从我们将作者对某一体验的表达
from our internalization of an author’s expression
的内在想象化
of an experience,
到我们对它第一手的体验的跳跃
to our experiencing it firsthand.
你看起来很迷茫 我会解释的 别担心
You look confused. I’ll explain. Don’t worry.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
如果我们通过所有最美好的幻想
If we go back to the origins of mediums,
追溯媒体的起源
by all best guesses,
它开始于火堆旁一个不错的故事
it starts around a fire, with a good story.
我们部落的首领正在给我们讲述
Our clan leader is telling us
有一天他是如何在苔原上 捕获到毛茸茸的猛犸象的故事
about how he hunted the woolly mammoth on the tundra that day.
我们听着他的描述
We hear his words
然后将其翻译成我们脑海中的形象
and translate them into our own internal truths.
同样的事情也发生在
The same thing happens
当我们看着洞穴壁画上的故事
when we look at the cave painting version of the story,
看着关于捕获猛犸象的书
the book about the mammoth hunt,
看着戏剧
the play,
听着广播
the radio broadcast,
看着电视剧
the television show
或者电影的时候
or the movie.
所有的这些媒介都要求我们“暂停怀疑”
All of these mediums require what we call “suspension of disbelief,”
因为在故事的真实性
because there’s a translation gap between the reality of the story
和我们的意识把故事解释成 我们相信的现实之间
and our consciousness interpreting the story
有一个翻译间隔
into our reality.
我用了意识这个词来表示一种
I’m using the word “consciousness” as a feeling of reality that we get
我们的感知从对周围世界的体验 而获得的对现实的感受
from our senses experiencing the world around us.
虚拟现实连接了那个间隔
Virtual reality bridges that gap.
现在 你就在苔原上和部落首领一起打猎
Now, you are on the tundra hunting with the clan leader.
或者你就是那个部落首领
Or you are the clan leader.
又或者 你甚至可能是那个毛绒绒的猛犸象
Or maybe you’re even the woolly mammoth.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
所以这就是虚拟现实的特别之处
So here’s what special about VR.
在所有其他的媒介中
In all other mediums,
你的意识会翻译媒介
your consciousness interprets the medium.
在虚拟现实中 你的意识就是媒介
In VR, your consciousness is the medium.
所以虚拟现实的潜力是巨大的
So the potential for VR is enormous.
但是我们现在在哪儿?
But where are we now?
这项艺术的当前状况是怎样的?
What is the current state of the art?
好吧
Well,
我们在这里
we are here.
我们相当于在电影技术的第一年
We are the equivalent of year one of cinema.
这是Lumière Brothers的电影
This is the Lumière Brothers film
据说使一整间电影院的人都逃命去了
that allegedly sent a theater full of people running for their lives
因为他们觉得一列火车正向他们驶来
as they thought a train was coming toward them.
和电影的早期阶段相似
Similar to this early stage of this medium,
在虚拟现实中 我们也必须习惯这种震撼
in VR, we also have to move past the spectacle
从而能够进入故事之中
and into the storytelling.
它花费了电影几十年的时间
It took this medium decades
去弄清以故事片的形式去表达
to figure out its preferred language of storytelling,
才是其最适合的讲故事的方式
in the form of a feature film.
在现今的虚拟现实中 我们更多的是在学习语法
In VR today, we’re more learning grammar
而不是书写内容
than writing language.
我们的虚拟现实公司Vrse 在过去的一年中拍摄了15部电影
We’ve made 15 films in the last year at our VR company, Vrse,
我们从中学到了一些东西
and we’ve learned a few things.
我们发现我们拥有一个独特的方式 直达你们的感知
We found that we have a unique, direct path into your senses,
你们的情绪 甚至你们的身体
your emotions, even your body.
所以让我给你们看一些东西
So let me show you some things.
为了这个展示的目的
For the purpose of this demo,
我们准备把你们可能看到的每个方向
we’re going to take every direction that you could possibly look,
都延伸进这个巨大的屏幕方框内
and stretch it into this giant rectangle.
好的 我们开始了
OK, here we go.
那么首先:镜头移动在虚拟现实中很难掌控
So, first: camera movement is tricky in VR.
弄的不好的话 会让你觉得不舒服
Done wrong, it can actually make you sick.
我们发现如果你以一种稳定的速度 在一条直线上移动镜头
We found if you move the camera at a constant speed in a straight line,
你就不会觉得不舒服
you can actually get away with it, though.
在电影学院的第一天
The first day in film school,
他们告诉我 在打破规则之前
they told me you have to learn every single rule
你要先学会每一条规则
before you can break one.
我们还没有学会每一条规则
We have not learned every single rule.
我们几乎还没学会什么
We’ve barely learned any at all,
但是我们已经开始尝试打破规则
but we’re already trying to break them
去看看我们可以实现什么 创造性的新事物
to see what kind of creative things we can accomplish.
在这一幕里 当我们从地面升起的时候我加快了速度
In this shot here, where we’re moving up off the ground, I added acceleration.
我这么做是因为我想要给你们一种
I did that because I wanted to give you a physical sensation
从地面升起的物理感受
of moving up off the ground.
在虚拟现实中 我可以给你们这种体验
In VR, I can give that to you.
(音乐)
(Music)
如你所想的那样 音乐在虚拟现实中也有很大的作用
Not surprisingly, music matters a lot in this medium as well.
它引导着我们怎样去感受
It guides us how to feel.
在这个和纽约时报合作的项目中
In this project we made with the New York Times, Zach Richter
Zach Richter和我们的朋友JR
and our friend, JR,
将带你们乘上一架直升机
we take you up in a helicopter,
即使当你翱翔于曼哈顿2000英尺的高空
and even though you’re flying 2,000 feet above Manhattan,
你也不会感到害怕
you don’t feel afraid.
你感到的是JR心中的狂喜
You feel triumphant for JR’s character.
是音乐将你带到了那里
The music guides you there.
(音乐)
(Music)
与大众观念不同
Contrary to popular belief,
虚拟现实中其实也有创作的部分
there is composition in virtual reality,
但和电影中的创作完全不一样
but it’s completely different than in film,
电影将你限制在了矩形屏幕之中
where you have a rectangular frame.
这里的创作是你意识存在的地方
Composition is now where your consciousness exists
也是世界在你身边移动的方式
and how the world moves around you.
在由Vrse、United Nations、Gabo Arora和Imraan Ismail
In this film, “Waves of Grace,” which was a collaboration between Vrse,
合作出品的电影”Waves of Grace”中
the United Nations, Gabo Arora, and Imraan Ismail,
我们看到了虚拟现实中特写镜头的角色转变
we also see the changing role of the close-up in virtual reality.
虚拟现实中的特写镜头 意味着你可以逼真地靠近某人
A close-up in VR means you’re actually close up to someone.
它将那个角色带入了你的个人空间
It brings that character inside of your personal space,
那个通常我们只会预留给我们爱的人的空间
a space that we’d usually reserve for the people that we love.
并且你会感觉到对角色情感上的接近
And you feel an emotional closeness to the character
这源自于你感官上的物理接近
because of what you feel to be a physical closeness.
导演拍摄虚拟现实与导演普通电影不同
Directing VR is not like directing for the rectangle.
它更像是对观众注意力的编排
It’s more of a choreography of the viewer’s attention.
一种我们可以用来指引观众注意力的工具
One tool we can use to guide your attention
叫做“空间化音效”
is called “spatialized sound.”
我可以让声音出现在任何地方 你的前面、左边或右边
I can put a sound anywhere in front of you, to left or right,
甚至是后面
even behind you,
而当你转头的时候 声音也会随之转动
and when you turn your head, the sound will rotate accordingly.
所以我可以用声音引导你的注意力 到我想让你看的地方
So I can use that to direct your attention to where I want you to see.
下次你听到有人在你肩上唱歌
Next time you hear someone singing over your shoulder,
那可能就是Bono
it might be Bono.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
虚拟现实让我们感觉自己 就好像是某些东西中的一部分
VR makes us feel like we are part of something.
在人类历史的大多数时候 我们都生活在小的家庭单位里
For most of human history, we lived in small family units.
我们起源于山洞
We started in caves,
然后搬到部落和族群 再然后到村庄和城镇
then moved to clans and tribes, then villages and towns,
如今我们都是世界公民
and now we’re all global citizens.
但我相信我们仍然天生最为关心
But I believe that we are still hardwired to care the most
那些我们身边的事情
about the things that are local to us.
虚拟现实可以让我们更加接近 任何地方和任何人
And VR makes anywhere and anyone feel local.
那就是为什么它像一台 能够引起共鸣的机器一样工作
That’s why it works as an empathy machine.
我们的电影“Clouds Over Sidra” 带你去到叙利亚的一个难民营
Our film “Clouds Over Sidra” takes you to a Syrian refugee camp,
这并不是观看一个 那里的人们的故事
and instead of watching a story about people over there,
而是去感受一个关于我们内心的故事
it’s now a story about us here.
那么下一步我们怎么走呢?
But where do we go from here?
棘手的问题是 之前所有的媒介
The tricky thing is that with all previous mediums,
它们的呈现形式 在它们诞生的时候就已经固定了
the format is fixed at its birth.
电影一直以来都是一系列的矩形
Film has been a sequence of rectangles,
从Muybridge和他的马一直到现在
from Muybridge and his horses to now.
这个形式从来没有改变过
The format has never changed.
但是虚拟现实作为一种呈现形式、一个媒介
But VR as a format, as a medium,
还没有定型
isn’t complete yet.
它不是使用物理胶片 纸张或者电视信号
It’s not using physical celluloid or paper or TV signals.
实际上它使用的是我们 用来感受世界的感官
It actually employs what we use to make sense of the world.
我们将你的感官用作帆布上的颜料
We’re using your senses as the paints on the canvas,
虽然目前只用到两种
but only two right now.
最终我们会看看 是否能够使用我们人类所有的感官
Eventually, we can see if we will have all of our human senses employed,
从而可以自由地去体验所有可能的故事
and we will have agency to live the story in any path we choose.
我们现在叫它虚拟现实
And we call it virtual reality right now,
但当我们超越模拟的现实的时候
but what happens when we move past simulated realities?
那时我们叫它什么呢?
What do we call it then?
如果不是跟你口头描述一个梦想
What if instead of verbally telling you about a dream,
而是可以让你生活在那个梦里呢?
I could let you live inside that dream?
如果不是让你仅仅体验一下地球上的某些地方
What if instead of just experiencing visiting some reality on Earth,
而是让你可以 在黑洞边缘的重力波上冲浪
you could surf gravitational waves on the edge of a black hole,
或者从头开始建立银河系
or create galaxies from scratch,
或者彼此交流的时候不是通过语言
or communicate with each other not using words
而是通过脑中原始的思维呢?
but using our raw thoughts?
那将不再是虚拟现实了
That’s not a virtual reality anymore.
坦白地说我也不知道那叫什么
And honestly I don’t know what that’s called.
但我希望你大概知道了 我们将会去往哪里
But I hope you see where we’re going.
在这里我将带领大家一起 体验这个革命性的新媒介
But here I am, intellectualizing a medium I’m saying is experiential.
那么让我们开始体验吧
So let’s experience it.
在你们的手中 应该都有一片纸板
In your hands, you hopefully hold a piece of cardboard.
让我们打开盖子
Let’s open the flap.
按一下电源开关去解锁手机
Tap on the power button to unlock the phone.
在家观看的朋友们
For the people watching at home,
我们现在会显示一张卡片
we’re going to put up a card right now
来告诉你们如何在手机上下载这个体验
to show you how to download this experience on your phone yourself,
甚至你可以想办法得到一个谷歌纸板 去尝试这个体验
and even get a Google cardboard of your own to try it with.
我们小的时候会在纸盒里玩耍
We played in cardboard boxes as kids,
现在作为成年人 当我们再一次把头放入纸板的时候
and as adults, I’m hoping we can all find a little bit of that lightning
希望我们都可以找回一些曾经的美好
by sticking our head in one again.
你们将要参与到
You’re about to participate
历史上最大规模的虚拟现实集体观看活动中
in the largest collective VR viewing in history.
并且在那经典的怀旧风格中
And in that classic old-timey style of yesteryear,
我们将在同一时间
we’re all going to watch something
一同观赏
at the exact same time, together.
希望这可以成功
Let’s hope it works.
倒计时在哪儿?我这里看不到
What’s the countdown look like? I can’t see.
观众:…15、14、13、12、11、10、9
Audience: …15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9,
八、七、六、五、四、三、二、一
8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
(鸟鸣声)
(Birds singing)
(火车引擎声)
(Train engine)
观众:(尖叫)
Audience: (Shreiks)
(视频) JR:让我来告诉你们
(Video) JR: Let me tell you
我是怎么拍摄纽约时报的封面的
how I shot the cover of the New York Times Magazine,
它叫做“行走的纽约”
“Walking New York.”
我被固定在直升机的外侧
I just got strapped on outside the helicopter,
因为我需要完全垂直才能抓拍到它
and I had to be perfectly vertical so I could grab it.
当我完美地位于拍摄物的上空时
And when I was perfectly above —
你知道的 因为有风我们不得不多次尝试
you know, with the wind, we had to redo it a few times —
然后我就开始一直拍摄
then I kept shooting.
(视频)女声:亲爱的上帝
(Video) Woman’s voice: Dear Lord,
保护我们远离邪恶
protect us from evil,
因为你是上帝
for you are the Lord,
是光
the light.
你带给我们生命 却又把它带走
You who gave us life took it away.
遵循你的意愿吧
Let your will be done.
请将安宁带给那些 失去了爱人的人们
Please bring peace to the many who have lost loved ones.
帮助我们重获新生
Help us to live again.
(音乐)
(Music)
(视频)(孩子们的声音)
(Video) (Children’s voices)
孩子的声音:现在扎塔利的孩子比成年人多
Child’s voice: There are more kids in Zaatari than adults right now.
有时候我觉得
Sometimes I think
我们才是肩负责任的那些人
we are the ones in charge.
Chris Milk:怎么样?
Chris Milk: How was it?
(掌声)
(Applause)
这是一个很容易 让你们站起来热烈喝彩的方法
That was a cheap way of getting you to do a standing ovation.
刚刚我让你们都站起来了 我还知道你们都会在结束的时候鼓掌
I just made you all stand. I knew you’d applaud at the end.
(掌声)
(Applause)
我相信这世界上的每一个人 都应当去体验
I believe that everyone on Earth needs to experience
你们刚刚所体验的
what you just experienced.
那样我们就可以 一同开始完善虚拟现实
That way we can collectively start to shape this,
让它不再只是一个技术平台
not as a tech platform
而是成为一个人性平台
but as a humanity platform.
因此在去年的11月份
And to that end, in November of last year,
纽约时报和Vrse合作了一个 名为“The Displaced”的虚拟现实项目
the New York Times and Vrse made a VR project called “The Displaced.”
连同报纸 他们寄送了一百万个Google Cardboards
It launched with one million Google Cardboards
给每一位订阅了周日刊的读者
sent out to every Sunday subscriber with their newspaper.
那个周日早上发生了一件有趣的事情
But a funny thing happened that Sunday morning.
很多人得到了纸板
A lot of people got them
但他们并不是 邮寄地址上的收件人
that were not the intended recipients on the mailing label.
然后我们开始在Instagram上 大量的看到这些
And we started seeing this all over Instagram.
看起来眼熟吗?
Look familiar?
音乐让我走上了这条路
Music led me on a path
在很长的时间里
of searching for what seemed like the unattainable
寻找那些难以得到的东西
for a very long time.
现在 数以百万的孩子们
Now, millions of kids just had the same formative experience
在他们的童年里 经历了与我小时候相似的
in their childhood
难以忘怀的体验
that I had in mine.
我觉得只有这一个
Only I think this one
甚至超越了那时我的体验
surpasses it.
让我们看看
Let’s see
这将会
where this
带他们去向何处
leads them.
谢谢你们
Thank you.
(掌声)
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

虚拟现实的诞生:一种新的艺术形式,这是一种全新的媒介,链接意识的媒介,让意识存在万物之间,这是未来的方向么?

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Ljimnn

审核员

知易行难

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJg_tPB0Nu0

相关推荐