未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

这辆自行车让成人都摔跤了,孩子们骑起来却很容易

The Backwards Brain Bicycle - Smarter Every Day 133

嘿 是我 德斯汀
Hey it’s me Destin.
欢迎再次收看每日智增
Welcome back to Smarter Every Day.
你曾听别人说过
You’ve heard people say,
“这就像骑自行车”
“It’s just like riding a bike”
意思是说某事非常简单 你忘不了怎么做 对吗
meaning it’s really easy and you can’t forget how to do it, right?
但我做过一些事
But I did something.
我做了一件打破我观念的事
I did something that damaged my mind.
事情就发生在阿姆斯特丹的大街上
It happened on the streets of Amsterdam
说实在的 我真挺害怕的
and I got really scared honestly.
我再也不能像你们那样骑自行车了
I can’t ride a bike like you can anymore.
在我向你展示发生了什么的视频前
Before I show you the video of what happened
我需要向你透露其背后的故事
I need to tell you the back story.
像很多骑着麦吉弗mullet自行车的六岁孩子一样
Like many six year olds with a MacGyver mullet
我在很小的时候就学会了骑自行车
I learned how to ride a bike when I was really young.
我学到了一项生活技能 我很为此骄傲
I had learned a life skill and I was really proud of it.
然而 当25年后我的朋友巴尼找到我一切发生了改变
Everything changed though when my friend Barney called me 25 years later.
在我工作的地方焊工们都是天才他们喜欢拿工程师开玩笑
Where I work, the welders are geniuses, and they like to play jokes on the engineers.
他给了我一项挑战
He had a challenge for me.
他做了一辆特别的自行车并且想让我试着骑一下
He had built a special bicycle and he wanted me to try to ride it.
他只改造了一项
He had only changed one thing.
当你把车把转向左边时 轮子会转向右边
When you turn the handlebar to the left, the wheel goes to the right.
当你把车把转向右边时 轮子则会转向左边
When you turn it to the right, the wheel goes to the left.
我以为这很简单 于是我跳上了车子
I thought this would be easy so I hopped on the bike
准备好了证明我能多快地征服它
ready to demonstrate how quickly I could conquer this.
现在 女士们 先生们
– And here he is ladies and gentlemen,
德斯汀·桑德林先生
Mr Destin Sandlin.
第一次尝试骑自行车
First attempt riding the bicycle.
是 是
– Yeah, yeah.
我做不到
I couldn’t do it.
你看见我在笑 但事实上我很受挫
You can see that I’m laughing but I’m actually really frustrated.
在这一刻 我才幡然醒悟
In this moment I had a really deep revelation.
我的思维方式是很墨守成规的
My thinking was in a rut.
这辆自行车向我揭示了一个深刻的真理
This bike revealed a very deep truth to me.
我知道关于如何骑这种车子的相关知识
I had the knowledge of how to operate the bike,
但我并没有理解
but I did not have the understanding.
因此 拥有知识储备并不等同于能理解
Therefore, knowledge is not understanding.
看 我知道你可能在想什么
Look I know what you’re probably thinking.
德斯汀可能只是个手脚笨拙的工程师因而不会骑自行车
Destin’s probably just an uncoordinated engineer and can’t do it.
但事实并非如此
But that’s not the case at all.
在你大脑中与骑车有关的算法非常复杂
The algorithm that’s associated with riding a bike, in your brain, is just that complicated.
想一想
Think about it.
在踏板上踩下去的力量
Downwards force on the pedals,
倾斜全身
leaning your whole body,
推拉车把
pulling and pushing the handlebars,
车轮的旋转过程
gyroscopic procession in the wheels,
每一点力都是这算法中的一部分
every single force is part of this algorithm.
如果你改变了其中任何一部分它就会影响到整个操控系统
And if you change any one part it affects the entire control system.
我不常说断定的话
I do not make definitive statements that often,
但我现在跟你讲
but I’m telling you right now,
你骑不了那个自行车
you cannot ride this bicycle.
也许你认为你能 但你就是不能
You might think you can, but you can’t.
我知道
I know this
是因为我常带着这个自行车在各大学里和研讨会上被叫去做发言
Because I’m often asked to speak at universities and conferences and I take the bike with me.
情况总是一样
It’s always the same.
人们以为他们可以尝试一些技巧或只是强势骑乘就能驾驭得了
People think they’re gonna try some trick or they’re just gonna power through it.
都行不通
It doesn’t work.
你的大脑驾驭不了它
Your brain cannot handle this.
比如 这伙计
For instance, this guy.
我给了他两百刀只要他骑着那车子穿过舞台十英尺
I offered him two hundred dollars just to ride this bike ten feet across the stage.
每个人都以为自己能
Everybody thought he could do it.
[众人起哄]不 不 不 你没理解
[crowd exclaims] No no no. You didn’t understand.
所以…这样 而不是那样 [众人笑]
So.. this way, not that way. [crowd laughs]
没事儿 准备好了再
Alright so, whenever you’re ready.
记着你得把脚放在…[众人笑]
Remember you have to keep your feet on.. [crowd laughs]
[众人笑]
[laughing crowd]
你最起码已经开始摇晃了 走你
You’ve gotta start rolling at least. And go.
把脚放在蹬子上 走
Keep your feet on the pedal, go.
[众人笑]
[laughing crowd]
只要把脚放在蹬子上
Just keep your feet on the pedals.
好 再来一次
Alright, one more time.
一旦你在脑中形成了定式思维
Once you have a rigid way of thinking in your head,
有时你即便你想 你也改变不了它们
sometimes you cannot change that, even if you want to.
所以 这就是我做了什么
So here’s what I did.
这是一项个人挑战
It was a personal challenge.
我待在车道上
I stayed out here in this driveway
每天练习5分钟
and I practiced about 5 minutes every day.
我的邻居嘲笑我
My neighbors made fun of me.
我有过很多次失败
I had many wrecks.
但8个月后 改变发生了
But after 8 months, this happened.
某天我骑不了那车子 然而下一天又能了
One day I couldn’t ride the bike, and the next day I could.
这就像我感觉到大脑中的某种通路被解锁了
It was like I could feel some kind of pathway in my brain that was now unlocked.
这是非常奇怪的感觉
It was really weird though.
这就像大脑中的有段轨迹
It’s like there’s this trail in my brain,
一不留神儿
but if I wasn’t paying close enough attention to it,
我的大脑便会轻易地失去这条神经通路跳回到更熟悉的旧通路
my brain would easily lose that neural path and jump back onto the old road it was more familiar with.
任何一丁点的让人分心的事 比如包里手机响啦
Any small distractions at all, like a cellphone ringing in my pocket,
大脑就会马上被马上带回到原来的控制算法我就这么摔倒了
would instantly throw my brain back to the old control algorithm and I would wreck.
但至少我还能骑
But at least I could ride it.
我儿子跟我遗传方面是最相近的
My son is the closest person to me genetically
他已经骑了3年普通车子了
and he’s been riding a normal bike for 3 years,
那是他生活中的一大部分
that’s over half his life.
我想知学会骑反向的车子会花费他多长时间
I wanted to know how long it would take him to learn how to ride a backwards bike
于是我跟他说要是他学会骑反向的车子
so I told him if he learned how to ride a backwards bike
他将能和我一起去澳洲见真正的宇航员
he could go with me to Australia and meet a real astronaut.
你会放弃吗
Are you gonna give up?

– No.
前进
– Go ahead.
这是开头
This is how it starts.
看哪
Look at this.
真不错
This is such a big deal.
起来 你做到了
Get up, you got it.
你发现他的大脑接受了那种算法了么
Did you see his brain get it?
所以他 用 我们学了多长时间 两个星期
So he, in.. How many weeks we been doing this? Two weeks?
他在两个星期内做成了我花8个月做的事
In two weeks he did something that took me 8 months to do,
这证明了相比成年人而言
which demonstrates that a child has more neural plasticity,
孩子的大脑更加具有可塑性
am I even saying that right?
对吧
Than an adult.
从这个实验很明显的看出孩子的大脑更加具有可塑性
It’s clear from this experiment that children have a much more plastic brain than adults.
这就是为什么学一门语言最好的时间是童年
That’s why the best time to learn a language is when you’re a young child.
好了 今天的骑车日志
Alright, today’s bike log.
我能骑的不仅流畅 而且很快
I can ride smooth, I can ride fast.
我认为实验圆满完成了
I’m thinking the experiment is over.
好 我现在在阿姆斯特丹
OK now I’m in Amsterdam,
一个自行车比人还多的城市
a city that has more bicycles than people.
问题是 我现在能骑正常的车子吗
The question is, can I ride a normal bike now.
我是说我把时间都花在了忘记怎样骑(普通)自行车上了
I mean I have spent all this time unlearning how to ride a bike,
如果我倒回去试着骑普通车子我的大脑会不知所措吗
If I go back and try to ride a normal one will my brain mess up.
所以我在每日智增的主题下发推希望与网友见面 如果可以的话
So I’ve tweeted a Smarter Every Day.. meetup, if you will.
我将看是否有人带一辆自行车给我我将试着骑一下普通车子
And I’m gonna see if somebody brings a bicycle and I’m gonna try to ride a normal bike.
它是反向的 反向的
It’s backwards, it’s backwards.
这是我一生的最挫败的时刻之一了
This was one of the most frustrating moments of my life.
从6岁起我就开始骑正常的车子了
I had ridden a normal bike since I was six,
但此刻我却再也骑不了了
but in this moment I couldn’t do it any more.
我开始本想证明我能将我的大脑从自我认知偏见中解放出来
I had set out to prove that I could free my brain from a cognitive bias,
但此时我很确定我只能证明我可以改变(大众对我的)偏见的方向
but at this point I’m pretty sure that all I’ve proved is that I can only re-designate that bias.
所以 你可能不知道有一大群人在这里
So what you’re not seeing is there’s a group of people here,
在看着我
looking at me.
看着这个奇怪的美国人
Looking at the strange American,
连自行车都不会骑 他们都觉得我是个呆子
that can’t ride a bike, cause they think I’m dumb.
但事实上我在这两种模式中都有很深入研究
But I’m actually two levels deep into this,
因为我学了又故意忘了
because I’ve learned and un-learned. Alright.
当了20分钟傻子之后
After 20 minutes of making a fool out of myself,
突然间我的大脑又跳回到了旧的算法
suddenly my brain clicked back into the old algorithm.
我解释不了其中的原理 但它发生在一个特定的时刻
I can’t explain it, but it happened in a very specific moment.
[笑声]
[laughter]
我做到了 我做到了 我做到了
I’ve got it, I’ve got it, I’ve got it.
我又回来了
I’m back.
转到了这个算法上
Oh it clicked. It clicked.
我做到了 我做到了
I’ve got it, I’ve got it.
好了 行了
OK there it is.
就在这一刻
There was the moment.
我能骑车了
OK I can ride a bike.
我试着向周围人解释
I tried to explain this to the people around me,
但他们就是不明白
and they just didn’t get it.
他们认为之前的20分钟我在假装
They thought I was faking the previous 20 minutes
我不能使人人都相信我
and I couldn’t get anybody to believe me.
好像我是假装的 不是这样的
That looked like I faked it, didn’t it.
你们认为我在撒慌 你们不信我
You think I’m faking. You don’t believe me.
这看起来真奇怪
– It looked so weird…
你认为我在说慌 不是吗
– You think I’m lying don’t you.
我没在说慌
I’m not lying.
我好像是全球唯一一个忘了骑车的人
I felt like the only person on the planet who had ever un-learned how to ride a bike,
我跟谁都讲不清楚
and I couldn’t articulate it to anyone
因为人人都觉得你不可能忘了怎样骑自行车
because everybody just knew that you can’t forget how to ride a bike.
从这个实验中我悟出了三件事
So I learned 3 things from this experiment.
我知道了焊工通常比工程师更聪明
I learned that welders are often smarter than engineers,
我知道 拥有知识储备不等同于能理解
I learned that knowledge does not equal understanding,
我知道了 真理就是真理
and I learned that truth is truth.
不管我如何怎么认为
No matter what I think about it.
所以留神你解释事情的方法
So be very careful how you interpret things
因为你总会带着偏见看世界
because you’re looking at the world with a bias
无论你意识到没有
whether you think you are or not.
我是德斯汀
I’m Destin,
你在一天天变聪明
you’re getting smarter every day,
过得愉快
have a good one.
如果你想支持 每日智增
OK if you wanna support Smarter Every Day
你可以在audible.com/smarter下载免费有声书
you can download a free audio book at audible.com/smarter
我推荐指挥官哈德菲尔德的书
I recommend Commander Hadfield’s book
这是宇航员地球指南
which is An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth.
我读过 这本书很了不起
I read it, it was awesome.
如果你这么想 我必须学会骑各种自行车
If you think about it, I had to learn how to ride a different kind of bicycle
我儿子也这么做了
and my son did it as well,
但指挥官哈德菲尔德必须学会开不同的大空飞船
but Commander Hadfield had to learn how to ride a different space ship.
不止如此 还有不同的空间站
Not only that, but a different type of space station.
他曾在米尔空间站和国际空间站
He was on Mir and the International Space Station.
不管怎样 如果你有意支持每日智增
Anyway, if you’re interested in supporting Smarter Every Day,
audible.com/smarter以及一本宇航员地球指南
audible.com/smarter, An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth.
我是德斯汀 你每天都在变得更加聪明
I’m Destin, you’re getting smarter every day.
过的愉快
Have a good one.
[众人欢呼]
[crowd cheers]
一团糟…我的本能反应是错的
Everything is wrong… My instinctive reaction is wrong.
(德斯汀)你为什么不骑它?你只会制造它吗?
(Destin) Why don’t you ride it? You just build it?
我不会骑 我只是制作了它
– I can’t ride it, I just build it.
[笑声]
[laughs]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

当自行车的车把转向导致车轮的转向相反时,你的大脑会不知所措么?有趣的实验,跟着德斯汀一起在每日智增中寻找那些不变的真理吧!

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Innocent

审核员

译学馆审核员N

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

相关推荐