未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

冲突是一种机遇

That Moment Your Worst Day Is Actually a Blessing

For a number of years in my early adulthood
我年轻时
I ran a cafe bakery in Salt Lake City.
在盐湖城开了一家咖啡蛋糕店
And a lot of people came through my store.
每天都有很多人光临
Most of them were humble and pleasant, that is,
他们多数都是谦逊有礼 快乐的
they gave me no trouble.
不会给我带来麻烦
But there was one customer whom I will never forget.
但有一个顾客 让我终生难忘
One unremarkable afternoon, this woman comes in the store
一个平常的午后 一位女士来到店里
as if she is the Greek goddess Hera,
仿佛她就是从奥林匹克山脉降临至此的
the goddess of goddesses,
希腊女神赫拉
descending from Mount Olympus.
女神中的女神
She was elegantly dressed, slightly overdressed, thin,
她身材纤细 穿着优雅 相当讲究
not a hair was out of place.
头发一丝不乱
She struts her way to the counter and orders a cake.
她高傲的走到柜台前 点了一份蛋糕
My bakery was a high-end operation.
我的蛋糕店比较高端
We used only good ingredients.
我们只用上乘的原料
We set up in an affluent part of town,
设在小镇一个比较富裕的地段
and we charged top dollar.
因此售价较高
One of our most popular items was a mocha bourbon cake.
其中最受欢迎的是摩卡波旁蛋糕
Coffee buttercream, cocoa whip cream filling,
外层是咖啡奶油 里面是可可鲜奶油
and a bourbon-flavored simple syrup.
加上一种波旁风味的糖浆
Most of my customers were members of the LDS church,
店里大部分顾客是摩门教教会的成员
Mormons who were forbidden to drink alcohol.
摩门教徒是禁酒的
We actually wrote “mocha bourbon” on the cake
我们用巧克力在蛋糕上
in chocolate lettering.
写“摩卡波旁”
This is what she ordered.
这正是她点的餐
The following day, at lunchtime,
第二天午餐时
when my place was full of customers,
我的店里都是客人
she charges in, you know, stalks over to the counter,
她直接阔步走到柜台
and screeches out,”You stole my money!”
尖叫着“你骗了我的钱!”
You know”Give me back my money!”
“把我的钱还给我!”
Here’s where I made two mistakes.
此时我犯了两个错误
First mistake was, is I argued with a customer.
一是我与顾客发生了争论
The second mistake was to argue with a customer
二是我当着其他顾客的面
in front of other customers.
与顾客发生了争论
But I couldn’t, I couldn’t resist.
但是我实在 实在无法忍受
I was being slandered in public. Now,
自己在公共场合遭到诽谤
she had brought along with her
这次 她还带来了一位
a diminutive white guy, the type of person
身材矮小的白人朋友
my mother would have called a nebbish. Now,
要按我妈的说法 那就是个窝囊废
she would have none of this,
而她完全不同
and she continued ranting and raving.
她一直在大喊大叫 吵嚷着
And while she was doing this, the nebbish explained to me
在她嚷嚷的时候 那个“窝囊废”向我解释道
that she had bought the cake to serve
她买蛋糕是为了
at a reception for her Mormon bishop.
招待她的摩门主教
And the bishop knew what bourbon was
而且主教知道波旁的意思
and didn’t really appreciate this grandiose gesture,
也不喜欢这种奢华的姿态
humiliating the woman. Now,
便羞辱了这个女人
I could see her
我看得出来
trying to make a splash at the party,
她想拿出这个卖相不错的蛋糕
putting out this really beautiful cake.
希望能在派对上引人注目
So I explained to her
所以我向她解释
that we took the trouble to write,
我们费了很大的劲在上面写了字
look right there, we wrote bourbon on the cake.
看这里 我们在蛋糕上写了“波旁”
And she said to me that she thought
她说 她原以为
that bourbon was referring to the French royal family,
波旁指的是法国皇室家族
you know, the”let them eat cake” crowd.
就是说那个“让他们吃糕饼啊”的皇室家族
I said,”No, no, come on, we’re in the United States.
我说“才不是 搞清楚 我们现在是在美国”
“This is bourbon, it means whiskey from Kentucky.”
这指的是波旁威士忌 意思是肯塔基州的威士忌
I knew that this would not be the last time
我知道这位女士
I would hear from this woman.
给我的麻烦不会结束
A couple of days later,
几天后
I get a call from a guy
国家酒精和饮料委员会的人
from the state alcohol and beverage commission
给我打来了电话
who says to me that there had been a complaint
对我说接到一单
about my cakes.
对我蛋糕的投诉
They went and purchased a bourbon cake,
他们也去买了一份波旁蛋糕
tested it for the presence of alcohol,
确实从中检测出了
and it tested positive.
酒精的存在
And they decided the cake was declared to be a mixed drink.
他们断定蛋糕里面有混合酒精
So I composed myself, and I said to the man,
我镇定下来之后对他说
“What can I do to make the state happy
“如果我不添加混合酒精的话
“that we’re not serving mixed drinks?”
我怎么让人们开心呢?”
He tells me
他告诉我
that I just got to be a little more diligent
我只要多费点功夫去
about cooking the alcohol off the bourbon, and it’ll be no problem.
煮掉波旁蛋糕中的酒精 那就没有问题了
I said,”You know what, this is not a problem.
我说“你知道这并不是个问题
“There’s a simple resolution.
有简单的解决办法
“We’ll do it.”
我们会处理的”
Somehow or other, the Salt Lake Tribune
《盐湖城论坛报》不知怎么知道了这件事
heard about this and ran a story about me and the cake.
还刊登了我和蛋糕的事情
Then the local NBC affiliate catches wind of this,
然后美国广播公司旗下的公司也闻风而来
does a little feature story, and sends it up national.
做了一篇专题报道 并在全国刊登发表
Business boomed.
我的事业起飞了
Not only that, I had people calling me up,
不仅如此 还有人打电话给我
asking me if they could come
问我他们是否可以
to the back of the store
到蛋糕店的后厨
and get the original full-proof version of the cake.
拿到按原始配方制作的蛋糕
And in addition, I’d be walking down the street,
另外 当我走在街上时
and Mormons would come up to me,
摩门教徒会向我走近
and they would hug me and apologize
拥抱我并为他们教友的愚昧
for the ignorance of their brethren.
向我致歉
And instead of punishment, what I got from her
我从她那里获得的居然并不是惩罚
was fame, fortune, and friends.
而是名声 财富和朋友

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

祸兮福所倚,事物都是有两面性的,在看来很糟糕的时候,转角未必不会有新的契机。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

liar🐐

审核员

审核员 DL

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9nqb6tj5ME

相关推荐