ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

一个暑假会毁了你半年的学习成果 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

一个暑假会毁了你半年的学习成果

Summer Vacation from School Can Erase Half a Year's Worth of Learning | Karim Abouelnaga

暑期学习损失是指
The summer learning loss is a term
低收入家庭与家庭富裕的同龄孩子
that they use to describe the regressions
相比起来 出现学习退步的情况
that kids in low-income neighborhoods face relative to their affluent peers.
所以有人说 低收入家庭的孩子们
So they say in lower income neighborhoods kids forget anywhere
暑期会丢掉在校两个半到三个半月
from two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half months of what they learned
所学到的知识
during the school year over the summer,
而中层家庭的孩子则不会 甚至会进步
while their middle-class peers break even or even make gains.
我首次知道这种学习差距是大一的时候
When I first learned about the achievement gap I was a freshman in college
我想弄明白为何会有这种差距
and I wanted to understand what the causes of it were.
开始做研究时 我发现
And as I started to do my research I realized
造成这种差距的原因千差万别
that there were a thousand different reasons why the achievement gap existed:
从缺乏积极的榜样到健康状况不佳
everything from a lack of positive role models to poor health conditions
致使市中心和低收入家庭的孩子落后
in so many of these inner-city and low-income neighborhoods.
后来我惊奇地发现
And then I found this startling statistic
这些差距中 三分之二的情况
that said that two-thirds of the achievement gap
得直接归咎于不平等的暑期学习机会
could be directly attributed to unequal summer learning opportunities,
或暑期学习损失
or the summer learning loss.
低收入家庭中
In low-income neighborhoods,
孩子们一个暑假可以忘掉
kids forget anywhere from two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half months
在校时两个半月至三个半月所学的知识
of what they learn over the summer from the school year,
所以当他们回到学校时
and so when they return to school
会落后中层家庭和富裕家庭的孩子们
they’re now two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half months
两个半到三个半月的进度
behind their affluent or their middle class peers.
因此 客观的说
Just to put that in perspective for you all:
从头年九月到次年六月的十个月里
the school year from September to June is only ten months long.
如果孩子丢了两个半至三个半月的知识
If a kid forgets two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half months of what they learned,
那就等于丢了25%到35%的知识
that’s almost 25 to 35 percent of their learning.
老师们随后也反应到
Teachers have then reported that
他们得花一个到一个半月时间温习旧知识
they spend anywhere from a month-and-a-half to two months reteaching old material.
所以如果再加上这20% 那就共是50%
So if you add that additional 20 percent you’re talking about 50 percent of a kid’s learning.
所以我们要问问自己
So we sit here and we ask ourselves,
“为何八年级的孩子只有四年级的阅读水平?”
“Why does an eighth grader only have a fourth grade reading level?”
而事实却是
and the truth of the matter is that
理论上 他们在校学习时间缩短了一半
theoretically speaking they’ve only been in school for half the time.
我首次了解到暑期学习损失时
When I first learned about the summer learning loss
理所当然地想到了暑期班
I thought the obvious solution was summer school, right?
如果孩子在学校过暑假
If kids were in school over the summer
他们就不会退步 不会忘记学过的知识
then they couldn’t be regressing, they couldn’t forget what they were learning.
后来我很快认识到 暑期班糟糕透了
And then I learned really quickly that summer school sucked;
学生就像在受惩罚 老师就像在当保姆
it was punishment for the kids and babysitting for the teachers.
我想起了自己当年上暑期班的日子
And I thought back to my own days when I was in summer school,
包括我在内没人喜欢它
and I didn’t like it—and no one does.
暑期班给人的印象很差
There’s such a negative stigma associated with it.
我十八岁时 联合了一些朋友
When I was 18 I actually brought together a group of friends
来解决一些暑期班平时出现的问题
to start to alleviate some of the issues around summer schooling in general.
我认为学习不该是件枯燥的事
I didn’t think learning had to be boring
所以我们得想想
and so we started to think about
如何使学校焕然一新 变得更有趣
how we could rebrand school and make school more fun.
尤其是我们想到了儿时对学校的憧憬
Specifically, we thought about what we wanted from school over the summer when we were kids.
所以我们建立了多代同龄人学习模式
So we created a multigenerational near-peer learning model
改变了我们与学生和孩子们的互动方式
that has sort of changed the way we interact with students and children
也改变了他们暑期的学习情况
to change their learning over the course of the summer.
所以我们招了一些年龄相仿的导师
So we recruit and we hire near-peer mentors,
他们比这些孩子们大不了几岁
kids who are just a few years older than the kids who we’re working with,
他们会给周围的孩子树立榜样
to give them a positive role model in their neighborhood.
我曾想起在我小的时候
I used to think back to when I was a child.
我不想变成坏孩子 所以不干坏事
I didn’t do bad things because I wantedto be a bad kid
大孩子怎么做我也怎么做
—I did it because the older kids were doing it.
很多时候 这些大孩子看起来会很酷
So many times the older kids are the ones who are perceived as being cool,
所以小孩子也跟着找机会模仿
and kids are just looking for an opportunity to be cool and fit in.
当把他们与热情的大学生老师放一起时
We then paired them up with college students who are aspiring educators,
他们就会向这些年龄相当的老师看齐
giving the near-peer mentors a new role model to look up to.
我记得自己直到大一的时候
I remember for me it wasn’t until my freshman year of college
才与大学生扯上了关系
that I built a relationship with a college-age student.
之前我家没人上过大学
No one in my family had gone to college before,
所以可想而知 我对大学的热情非常有限
and so as you can imagine my college aspirations were stunted or limited because of that.
然而不难发现 大学生们
And then obviously for our college students
也在寻求某些对专业方面有意义的发展
—they’re looking for some meaningful professional development and growth as well,
所以我们在合作的学校里聘了教师
and so we hire teachers from the schools that we work with
他们将会成为大学生们的榜样和导师
who can act as role models and mentors to our college students
带领他们成为教师中的一员
who one day want to be in the classroom and fill their shoes.
所以这个模式中 人人参与人人受益
And so this model where everyone is sort of a participant
每个人都可谓是一石三鸟
but also a beneficiary creates this win-win-win situation for everyone,
暑期班将比以前变得更有趣
making summer school a lot more fun and exciting.
刚开始时 我们的工作井井有条
When we first started our work it was very structured.
都说这像是低收入区的一个“六周计划”
We sort of said: this is what a six week program looks like in a low-income neighborhood or community.
我们很快了解到 我们是独一无二的
We quickly realized that no two schools are the same,
有趣的是 我们的推广范围主要在纽约城
and it’s funny—we’re primarily based in New York City
这的学校和学区情况可想而知
and as you think about like schools and school districts in that area.
这里有110万学生和1700所学校
there’s about 1.1 million kids andthere’s 1,700 schools.
同一座建筑里 学校和学校相连
And so schools are co-located within the same building.
所以这些学校里学生人数相同
And so schools are oftentimes serving the same exact population of kids
每个学生的开销相同 经费也相同
with the same per-pupil spend or the same amount of funding,
但它们的文化却不同 教学质量也不同
yet they have very different cultures, and they lead to very different outcomes.
所以这个学校的学习方法
And so one approach in one school may not work
在另一个学校可能就行不通
as an approach at a very different school.
所以我认为 要远离这些耳熟能详的经验
So I think one: we need to stay away from these overarching generalizations
如“利己之物亦利他人”
about “what’s good for one is good for all”,
因为情况不同了
because that’s no longer the case.
特别是说到暑期学习时
As it relates to summer specifically
我认为暑期差距应该存在
I don’t think we need to get rid of the summer gap.
我们有机会做些特别且有意义的事
I think there’s an opportunity to do something meaningful and different.
我总会想起我们的计划和我们所做的
I always think back to our own programs and what we do and I recognize that,
我们意识到 若不彻底改变暑期学习方法
if we didn’t come in there with a completely different approach to learning over the summer,
在校期间的学习和拓展则无法有多大改变
that learning or extending the school year in that case actually may not make that much of a difference.
他们也许不会退步 但这并不意味着
You may not have regressions but that doesn’t mean you’re going to
你能帮他们更好参与或跟上学习进度
improve student engagement or help kids catch up.
所以我认为暑期也是一个机会
And so I think the summertime is also an opportunity
可以帮助孩子们赶上其他同龄人
to help kids catch up to their other peers
这些人可能已经掌握了学校教的知识
who may have retained everything that they needed to learn for the school year
所以独立学习起来不会很难
and probably won’t have a hard time continuing to be independent learners.
我们了解许多低收入家庭孩子的情况
We know the status in so many of our low-income neighborhoods,
他们大多来自单亲家庭或移民家庭
where they’re being raised in single parent households or immigrant households
像我母亲从来不读书 但她却说
In my own household, like my mother not once pickedup a book and said,
“嘿 你这个年纪就该读这本书”或
“Hey, you should be reading this book, because it’s grade-level appropriate”
“行不行读了便知”
or “Challenge yourself by doing this.”
我认为部分原因是她自己不会读
And I think some of it is that just she just didn’t know.
所以我们明白了这样一个事实
And so being conscious of the fact that there are certain disadvantages
有色人种或少数族裔的孩子不得不面对
that kids of color or minorities exhibit or deal with
其条件优越的同龄人无需面对的不利
—things that their more affluent peers just sort of don’t have to face
这样一来 暑假便给了他们一个机会
—does create an opportunity for them over the summer.
所以我认为没必要完全消除暑期的差距
and so I don’t think the solution is to close the summer gap all together.
但我觉得有必要将差距稍微缩小
But I do think there are opportunities tomaybe narrow it a slight bit.
我知道有些州和城市
I know there are some states and some cities
暑假时间长达十四周
that have summer breaks that are as long as 14 weeks long,
这确实太长了
which is way too long.
我觉得暑假时间为六到七周比较合理
I think a meaningful summer break is six to seven weeks.
即使按我们的计划 也只安排了四到六周
Even with our programs, our interventions now are anywhere from four to six weeks long
孩子们仍有三到四周时间休息
and kids still have three to four weeks off.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

大家都期待放暑假,但暑假过后总是有人欢喜有人愁,为什么暑假过后孩子们的学习情况会出现差距?

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

牵贝贝到处逛

审核员

SC

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqFW2aON9o

相关推荐