未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

爱上家,一辈子做女孩

Success, failure and the drive to keep creating | Elizabeth Gilbert

几年前 我在肯尼迪国际机场
So, a few years ago I was at JFK Airport
快上飞机时
about to get on a flight,
有两位女士接近我
when I was approached by two women
我想她们应该没有恶意
who I do not think would be insulted
她们俩这样形容自己
to hear themselves described
矮小 年纪大 交流困难 美籍意大利女人
as tiny old tough-talking Italian-American broads.
较高的那位大概这么高
The taller one, who is like up here,
她快速走向我 对我说:
she comes marching up to me, and she goes,
亲爱的 我得问你个问题
“Honey, I gotta ask you something.
你和最近流行的
You got something to do with that whole
《一辈子做女孩》有关吧
‘Eat, Pray, Love’ thing that’s been going on lately?”
我回答:是的
And I said, “Yes, I did.”
她拍了一下朋友后说
And she smacks her friend and she goes,
看吧 我就说她是那女孩
“See, I told you, I said, that’s that girl.
她就是写了那本书的女孩
That’s that girl who wrote that book
根据那部电影写的
based on that movie.”
(大笑)
(Laughter)
那就是我
So that’s who I am.
相信我 我非常荣幸能作为那个人
And believe me, I’m extremely grateful to be that person,
因为有关《一辈子做女孩》的一切
because that whole “Eat, Pray, Love” thing
对我而言都是一个巨大的突破
was a huge break for me.
但那也使我处在很微妙的位置
But it also left me in a really tricky position
如果要以作家的身份继续前行
moving forward as an author
就要弄明白怎么在这个世界立足
trying to figure out how in the world
我曾经打算再写一本书
I was ever going to write a book again
一本让每一个人都喜欢的书
that would ever please anybody,
但我也早就知道
because I knew well in advance
每位热爱《一辈子做女孩》的人
that all of those people who had adored “Eat, Pray, Love”
会有多么失望
were going to be incredibly disappointed
无论我的下一本书写的是什么
in whatever I wrote next
那都不再是《一辈子做女孩》了
because it wasn’t going to be “Eat, Pray, Love,”
而那些讨厌《一辈子做女孩》的人
and all of those people who had hated “Eat, Pray, Love”
也会大失所望
were going to be incredibly disappointed
因为不管是什么
in whatever I wrote next
都会证明我仍然存在
because it would provide evidence that I still lived.
所以我知道我没有赢的可能
So I knew that I had no way to win,
知道自己没法贏
and knowing that I had no way to win
这件事让我认真思考了一段时间
made me seriously consider for a while
告诉自己放弃吧
just quitting the game
找个村庄住下 养只柯基犬
and moving to the country to raise corgis.
但如果我当时真的那么做了 真的放弃写作
But if I had done that, if I had given up writing,
我就失去我挚爱的使命了
I would have lost my beloved vocation,
我知道我应该做的是找到
so I knew that the task was that I had to find
激发灵感的方法
some way to gin up the inspiration
这样才能写下一本书
to write the next book
即使结果是失败的
regardless of its inevitable negative outcome.
换句话说 我得找到方法确保
In other words, I had to find a way to make sure
我的创造力能在自己的成功中继续生存
that my creativity survived its own success.
后来 我找到了那份灵感
And I did, in the end, find that inspiration,
但我发现灵感只在最不可能
but I found it in the most unlikely
也最意料不到的地方出现
and unexpected place.
我是在生活中早已学过的知识里发现它
I found it in lessons that I had learned earlier in life
创造力该如何拯救自己的失败
about how creativity can survive its own failure.
因此只要回顾就能证明
So just to back up and explain,
我这一生唯一想要成为的
the only thing I have ever wanted to be
就是一个作家
for my whole life was a writer.
我的整个童年 整个青春期都在不停写作
I wrote all through childhood, all through adolescence,
在我还是一个少女的时候
by the time I was a teenager I was sending
我把自己的烂故事发给《纽约客》
my very bad stories to The New Yorker,
希望能被发掘
hoping to be discovered.
大学毕业后 我找了一份餐厅服务员的工作
After college, I got a job as a diner waitress,
一边工作 一遍写作
kept working, kept writing,
继续为了出版我的故事而努力
kept trying really hard to get published,
然后失败了
and failing at it.
我不停的失败
I failed at getting published
持续了将近六年
for almost six years.
这将近六年的每一天里
So for almost six years, every single day,
我一无所有 只有拒绝信
I had nothing but rejection letters
在我的邮箱里等着我
waiting for me in my mailbox.
每次都让人伤心欲绝
And it was devastating every single time,
每一次 我都问自己
and every single time, I had to ask myself
当我失败了 我是不是应该就此罢手
if I should just quit while I was behind
放弃 让自己别再受苦
and give up and spare myself this pain.
但是我又马上下定决心
But then I would find my resolve,
每一次 都如此
and always in the same way,
只要说 我不会放弃的
by saying, “I’m not going to quit,
我要回家了
I’m going home.”
你要了解对我来说
And you have to understand that for me,
回家的意思不是回到我家的农场
going home did not mean returning to my family’s farm.
对我来说 回家
For me, going home
意味着回到写作的事业中
meant returning to the work of writing
因为写作这项事业就是我的归属
because writing was my home,
因为我热爱写作 胜过那些失败带来的挫败感
because I loved writing more than I hated failing at writing,
也就是说 我热爱写作
which is to say that I loved writing
胜过爱我的自尊
more than I loved my own ego,
从根本上来说
which is ultimately to say
我爱写作胜过爱自己
that I loved writing more than I loved myself.
那就是我熬过那些失败的方法
And that’s how I pushed through it.
但奇怪的是 20年后
But the weird thing is that 20 years later,
在《一辈子做女孩》的疯狂之路中
during the crazy ride of “Eat, Pray, Love,”
我发现自己再一次被定义为
I found myself identifying all over again
那个无法出版故事的年轻的餐厅服务员
with that unpublished young diner waitress
我不断想起那个曾经的我
who I used to be, thinking about her constantly,
再次感觉自己回到了那个时候
and feeling like I was her again,
其实这种感觉没什么道理
which made no rational sense whatsoever
因为我们的生活早已天差地别
because our lives could not have been more different.
她不断的失败
She had failed constantly.
而我已经获得了意料之外的成功
I had succeeded beyond my wildest expectation.
我们没有任何共同之处
We had nothing in common.
为什么我会觉得自己再一次变回她了呢
Why did I suddenly feel like I was her all over again?
直到我尝试解决这个疑惑
And it was only when I was trying to unthread that
才终于明白
that I finally began to comprehend
那莫名而又不真切的精神联结
the strange and unlikely psychological connection
始终存在在我们的生命里
in our lives between the way we experience great failure
在那些成败的起落间
and the way we experience great success.
所以 从这个角度来看
So think of it like this:
你大部分的人生都裹挟于
For most of your life, you live out your existence
人类历史发展的洪流中
here in the middle of the chain of human experience
而人类历史中的任何事情都是正常可靠并且规律的
where everything is normal and reassuring and regular,
但失败将你突然推到另一个世界
but failure catapults you abruptly way out over here
让你陷入伸手不见五指的失望深渊里
into the blinding darkness of disappointment.
而成功同样突然将你推到
Success catapults you just as abruptly but just as far
另一个世界
way out over here
让你陷入同样盲目的舞台上
into the equally blinding glare
沉醉在名利 赞誉和颂扬中
of fame and recognition and praise.
而这二者中的一个
And one of these fates
客观上来说 人们认为是不好的
is objectively seen by the world as bad,
而另一个则被认为是幸运的
and the other one is objectively seen by the world as good,
但你的潜意识完全无法
but your subconscious is completely incapable
辨别好与坏之间的不同
of discerning the difference between bad and good.
唯一能感受到的是
The only thing that it is capable of feeling
这种情感方程式的绝对价值
is the absolute value of this emotional equation,
那就是你在情绪上偏离了
the exact distance that you have been flung
自己的确切距离
from yourself.
这二种情况都有
And there’s a real equal danger in both cases
同样真实的危险
of getting lost out there
你可能在心灵深处中迷失
in the hinterlands of the psyche.
而这两种不同的境遇
But in both cases, it turns out that there is
又有着相同的自我修复的方法
also the same remedy for self-restoration,
那就是你必須再次找到回家的路
and that is that you have got to find your way back home again
尽可能快速与平稳
as swiftly and smoothly as you can,
如果你想知道自己的家在何方
and if you’re wondering what your home is,
可以试想:
here’s a hint:
你的家就是這世上
Your home is whatever in this world you love
任何一个爱它胜过爱自己的东西
more than you love yourself.
因此那也许是创造 也许是家庭
So that might be creativity, it might be family,
也许是发明、冒险、
it might be invention, adventure,
信仰、布道 也许是养柯基犬
faith, service, it might be raising corgis,
都有可能 你的家就是那個
I don’t know, your home is that thing
你能奉献活力的地方
to which you can dedicate your energies
有了如此獨一無二的奉獻
with such singular devotion
最后的結果就會变得微不足道
that the ultimate results become inconsequential.
对我来说 家一直以来都是写作
For me, that home has always been writing.
因此在我完成
So after the weird, disorienting success
《一辈子做女孩》之后
that I went through with “Eat, Pray, Love,”
我了解自己需要做的
I realized that all I had to do was exactly
就像我处在迷惘的失败中时
the same thing that I used to have to do all the time
要做的事一样
when I was an equally disoriented failure.
我得起身去工作
I had to get my ass back to work,
我也这么做了 在2010年時
and that’s what I did, and that’s how, in 2010,
我出版了那吓人的东西
I was able to publish the dreaded follow-up
《一辈子做女孩》的续集
to “Eat, Pray, Love.”
你知道那本書後來怎麼了嗎?
And you know what happened with that book?
慘敗收场 但我還是好好的
It bombed, and I was fine.
其實我覺得自己就像百毒不侵
Actually, I kind of felt bulletproof,
因為我知道自己早就破除了魔咒
because I knew that I had broken the spell
我已经找到回家的路
and I had found my way back home
就是为了全然的奉献而写
to writing for the sheer devotion of it.
那之後我待在写作的家
And I stayed in my home of writing after that,
寫了另一本書 在去年出版
and I wrote another book that just came out last year
而且也頗受好評
and that one was really beautifully received,
雖然那不是重點 但那真棒
which is very nice, but not my point.
重點是我正在寫另一本書
My point is that I’m writing another one now,
之後會再寫另一本書
and I’ll write another book after that
未來也會寫更多、更多書
and another and another and another
之中有很多本都會慘敗
and many of them will fail,
也許有幾本會成功
and some of them might succeed,
但是我永远会平安地
but I will always be safe
從不時出現的飓风般結局中活下來
from the random hurricanes of outcome
只要我还记得我真心喜欢的家
as long as I never forget where I rightfully live.
我不知道你们各自真心喜欢什么
Look, I don’t know where you rightfully live,
但我知道世上有某种
but I know that there’s something in this world
你愛它勝過愛自己的東西
that you love more than you love yourself.
某種有價值的東西
Something worthy, by the way,
但是吸毒成癮和过分沉溺不算
so addiction and infatuation don’t count,
因为我們都知道那不安全 不是吗?
because we all know that those are not safe places to live. Right?
唯一的訣竅是你得辨別
The only trick is that you’ve got to identify
你最愛的東西中最好 也最有價值的那個
the best, worthiest thing that you love most,
接著在那之上建立起自己的家
and then build your house right on top of it
不要让步
and don’t budge from it.
如果你在某天
And if you should someday, somehow
從家裡被拋出
get vaulted out of your home
不論是因為惨败或是胜利
by either great failure or great success,
你的工作就是努力回到那個家
then your job is to fight your way back to that home
唯一能夠做到的方式
the only way that it has ever been done,
就是埋頭苦幹
by putting your head down and performing
并且一直守护它
with diligence and devotion
投入你的精力、毅力和勤奋
and respect and reverence
不論接下來這項任務是什麼
whatever the task is that love
愛都會在下一個階段呼喚你
is calling forth from you next.
你只要做 不停地做
You just do that, and keep doing that
一而再、再而三
again and again and again,
我可以向你保证 依据我个人长期的经验
and I can absolutely promise you, from long personal experience
无论从哪个角度来说
in every direction, I can assure you
最后一切都会好的
that it’s all going to be okay.
谢谢
Thank you.
(掌声)
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

想起曾经的偶遇,始料未及,作者独自一人,开始游历世界。自我是什么?我为何来到世上?如何才能使我找回真正的家?最重要的是作者历经沧桑之后的感悟。家的港湾永远在你身边,他就是Ljimnn!

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Ljimnn

审核员

赖皮

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_waBFUg_oT8

相关推荐