未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

选月亮还是六便士

Should I Choose Passion or Duty?

When it comes to deciding what to do with our lives,
每当谈论到关乎我们人生的决定时
we are frequently presented with what looks like a very painful choice:
我们经常面临一些看似非常痛苦的选择
the passionate path vs the safe path.
选择热爱之路还是安全之路
The latter involves the slow mastery of a dependable profession;
后者是一个可靠职业 需要漫长的时间去掌握
we will be bored – but we know we’ll never be fired.
我们会感到无聊 但我们知道我们绝不会被辞退
Meanwhile, the former is a high-wire act
与此同时 前者是一项我们幻想从我们深爱的职业中
in which we fantasise generating an income from what we deeply love
得到回报的高危行为
and yet we constantly fear penury and humiliation.
我们还总会害怕贫穷 担心丢脸
The choice can feel acute,
能感受到这个选择的后果很严重
but it may be less so than it seems,
但一旦我们正确地探讨安全的概念
once we properly explore the concept of safety.
它就没有看起来那么严重
We are never properly safe so long as we are doing something we hate
只要我们在做一些我们不喜欢的事或由于胆怯
or are pursuing out of cowardice.
去追求一些其他事情 我们就不完全安全
In the deeply competitive conditions of modernity,
在竞争激烈的现代社会
our back-up career – the one we adopt out of fear
我们的备选职业 那个我们出于害怕而选择的职业
will be someone else’s central ambition;
会成为其他人主要志向
our plan B will be someone else’s plan A,
我们的B计划也将成为别人的A计划
which places us at an immediate disadvantage
就我们能集中的有限精力和专注力而言
in terms of the energy and focus we are able to muster.
这会让我们立即处于劣势
The ‘safe’ choice might ruin us.
选择安全之路可能会毁了我们
By contrast, what we love is what we are obsessed by anyway,
相反 若我们热爱的是我们所痴迷的
we’d do it for free – which decisively increases our chances of mastery
我们愿意去做 不求回报 这对增加我们掌握的机率
while reducing the price of failure.
起到了决定性的作用 同时也减少了失败的成本
A decade of mixed results on a passion-project is inherently less onerous
从事激情项目10年的综合成果与在不喜欢的领域工作一生
than unspectacular returns for a whole career in a hateful field.
所得到的普通回报相比 其实没那么艰难
It is in the end not very safe to use the one life we have
用我们的一生 强迫自己做一开始就知道不喜欢的事情
forcing ourselves to do what we know from the outset we won’t enjoy
仅仅是为了谋生
simply in order to keep living.
最后也不是很安全
This isn’t safety; it’s masochism.
这不叫安稳 这叫受虐
We may all have to spend our first two decades suffering through the education system;
我们所有人可能都得花20年来接受教育
but at some point, we are allowed to leave school;
但在某一刻 我们可以离开学校
at some point,we need to have a shot at answering
在某个时间 我们需要试着去回答
what life could be about beyond obedience and timidity.
不顺从和不胆怯的生活是怎样的呢
It is not very common to have a passion; most of us don’t.
大多数的人一般都没有热情
Yet if we are enough to have one,
然而 如果我们有热爱的事情
we are risking far more than we should by failing to heed its call.
如果不听从它的召唤 我们会冒更大的风险
for more from the school of life, you can subscribe to our channel
想要了解生命学院的更多内容 你可以订阅我们的频道
and take a look at our range of products on our website
浏览我们的网站和一系列产品

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

面对职业选择,你会选择拾起地上的“六便士”,还是赌上一生去选择你所热爱的,仰望“月亮”呢?人生只有一次,月亮可遇不可求,当你愿意“铤而走险”,结果不一定会差哦。“月亮”会奔你而来。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

May

审核员

审核员XY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLaqkOf4sus

相关推荐