未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

任何人都不该因住得离医生太远而死亡

No one should die because they live too far from a doctor | Raj Panjabi

《TED演讲》值得传播的思想
I want to share with you something my father taught me:
我想分享一个我父亲教我的道理
no condition is permanent.
“任何状况都不会永远不变”
It’s a lesson he shared with me again and again,
这句话他再三向我提起
and I learned it to be true the hard way.
而我历经艰难才领悟到了其中的真谛
Here I am in my fourth-grade class.
图中的我正上四年级
This is my yearbook picture
这是那年学校年刊的照片
taken in my class in school in Monrovia, Liberia.
拍摄于利比里亚蒙罗维亚我们学校的教室
My parents migrated from India to West Africa in the 1970s,
20世纪70年代 我父母从印度移居西非
and I had the privilege of growing up there.
我有幸在那里长大
I was nine years old, I loved kicking around a soccer ball,
我当时九岁 特别喜欢踢足球
and I was a total math and science geek.
还是个不折不扣的数学和科学迷
I was living the kind of life that, really, any child would dream of.
我过着差不多所有孩子都梦寐以求的生活
But no condition is permanent.
但任何状况都不是永远不变的
On Christmas Eve in 1989, civil war erupted in Liberia.
1989年圣诞节前夕 利比里亚爆发了内战
The war started in the rural countryside,
战争始于农村
and within months, rebel armies had marched towards our hometown.
不到几个月 叛军就朝我们的故乡进军了
My school shut down,
我的学校被迫关闭
and when the rebel armies captured the only international airport,
当叛军占领了唯一的国际机场时
people started panicking and fleeing.
人们开始惊慌 设法外逃
My mom came knocking one morning and said,
一天早上我妈妈敲门说
“Raj, pack your things — we have to go.”
“Raj 收拾好东西 我们必须走了”
We were rushed to the center of town,
我们被赶到市中心
and there on a tarmac, we were split into two lines.
在停机坪上 我们被分成两列
I stood with my family in one line,
我和家人在其中一列
and we were stuffed into the cargo hatch of a rescue plane.
之后我们被塞进了一架救援飞机的货舱内
And there on a bench, I was sitting with my heart racing.
我坐在长椅上 心脏狂跳不止
As I looked out the open hatch,
我向打开的舱门外张望
I saw hundreds of Liberians in another line,
看到了另一队列的数百名利比里亚人
children strapped to their backs.
有的把孩子捆在背上
When they tried to jump in with us,
当他们试图与我们一起跳入飞机时
I watched soldiers restrain them.
我看到士兵们阻止他们
They were not allowed to flee.
他们被禁止乘机撤离
We were the lucky ones.
而我们是幸运儿
We lost what we had, but we resettled in America,
我们虽失去了一切 却在美国重新落了脚
and as immigrants,
作为移民
we benefitted from the community of supporters that rallied around us.
我们得到了周围社区支持者的帮助
They took my family into their home, they mentored me.
他们把我们带回自己家 教导我
And they helped my dad start a clothing shop.
还帮我父亲开了一家服装店
I’d visit my father on weekends as a teenager
我青少年时 每当周末会去店里
to help him sell sneakers and jeans.
帮父亲卖运动鞋和牛仔裤
And every time business would get bad,
每当生意变糟时
he’d remind me of that mantra:
他总是提醒我那句哲言
no condition is permanent.
没有什么状况会永远不变
That mantra and my parents’ persistence and that community of supporters
正是这句话 加上父母的坚持和社区帮助
made it possible for me to go through college and eventually to medical school.
才使我可能考上大学 并最后进入医学院
I’d once had my hopes crushed in a war,
那场战争曾经粉碎了我的希望
but because of them, I had a chance to pursue my dream to become a doctor.
因为社区帮助 我才有机会追逐我当医生的梦想
My condition had changed.
我的境况也随之改变
It had been 15 years since I escaped that airfield,
距我逃离那个机场15年后
but the memory of those two lines had not escaped my mind.
我对那两列队伍的记忆却依然刻骨铭心
I was a medical student in my mid-20s,
那会儿我25岁左右 是一名医学生
and I wanted to go back to see if I could serve the people we’d left behind.
我想回国 看能否帮助那些被丢下的同胞
But when I got back, what I found was utter destruction.
但当我重返故乡 那里已彻底沦为废墟
The war had left us with just 51 doctors to serve a country of four million people.
战争过后 400万人口的国家仅剩51个医生
It would be like the city of San Francisco having just 10 doctors.
这就相当于整个旧金山只有10个医生
So if you got sick in the city where those few doctors remain,
如果你在尚有少量医生的城市里生病
you might stand a chance.
可能还有一线生机
But if you got sick in the remote, rural rainforest communities,
但如果你在偏远乡村的雨林地区生了病
where you could be days from the nearest clinic —
最近的诊所都要走好几天
I was seeing my patients die from conditions no one should die from,
我亲眼见过我的患者死于本不致命的疾病
all because they were getting to me too late.
都是因为他们到我这里时已经太迟了
Imagine you have a two-year-old who wakes up one morning with a fever,
想象下你有个两岁的孩子 早上起来发烧
and you realize she could have malaria,
你感觉她可能患了疟疾
and you know the only way to get her the medicine she needs
而你知道 获取救治药品的唯一办法
would be to take her to the riverbed,
是带她去河边
get in a canoe, paddle to the other side
上独木舟划到对岸
and then walk for up to two days through the forest
然后在树林中走上将近两天
just to reach the nearest clinic.
才能赶到最近的诊所
One billion people live in the world’s most remote communities,
世界上有十亿人居住在最偏远的乡村地区
and despite the advances we’ve made in modern medicine and technology,
尽管我们在现代医药科技领域有很大进步
our innovations are not reaching the last mile.
但这些创新却没有惠及最后一英里的人们
These communities have been left behind,
那些地区的人们被落下了
because they’ve been thought too hard to reach and too difficult to serve.
因为他们被视为遥不可及 很难援助
Illness is universal; access to care is not.
人人都可能生病 但并不是都能得到医治
And realizing this lit a fire in my soul.
一想到此 我心中就燃起了一团火
No one should die because they live too far from a doctor or clinic.
任何人都不该因离医生和诊所太远而死亡
No condition should be permanent.
没有任何状况是永远不变的
And help in this case didn’t come from the outside,
在这个例子中 帮助不是来自外面
it actually came from within.
而实际上是来自内部
It came from the communities themselves.
来自于社区本身
Meet Musu. Way out in rural Liberia,
这是Musu 住在利比里亚偏远的乡村
where most girls have not had a chance to finish primary school,
在那里 很多女孩都没有机会上完小学
Musu had been persistent.
但Musu坚持了下来
At the age of 18, she completed high school,
18岁时 她读完了高中
and she came back to her community.
然后回到她的社区
She saw that none of the children were getting treatment
她发现孩子们在患上了
for the diseases they needed treatment for —
诸如疟疾和肺炎之类的致命疾病时
like deadly diseases, like malaria and pneumonia.
都无法得到相应的救治
So she signed up to be a volunteer.
所以她申请成了一名志愿者
There are millions of volunteers like Musu
世界各地的乡村地区有数百万
in rural parts around our world,
像Musu这样的志愿者
and we got to thinking — community members like Musu
于是我们想 像Musu这样的社区成员
could actually help us solve a puzzle.
其实能帮助我们解决一个难题
Our health care system is structured in such a way
我们的医疗体系是这样的
that the work of diagnosing disease and prescribing medicines
诊断疾病和开处方的工作
is limited to a team of nurses and doctors like me.
仅限于像我这样的医生和护士的团队
But nurses and doctors are concentrated in cities,
但医生和护士都集中在城市里
so rural communities like Musu’s have been left behind.
所以像Musu所在的乡村地区就被落下了
So we started asking some questions:
所以我们开始想
What if we could reorganize the medical care system?
如果我们可以重组医疗体系 那会怎样?
What if we could have community members like Musu
如果我们能让Musu这样的社区成员
be a part or even be the center of our medical team?
加入我们的医疗团队甚至成为核心成员 会怎样?
What if Musu could help us bring health care from clinics in cities
如果Musu能将城市医院中的医疗救助
to the doorsteps of her neighbors?
帮我们带给她的左邻右舍呢?
Musu was 48 when I met her.
我第一次见Musu时 她48岁
And despite her amazing talent and grit,
尽管她有着惊人的天赋和毅力
she hadn’t had a paying job in 30 years.
但在30年内她都没什么工作收入
So what if technology could support her?
如果医疗技术能帮到她 会如何呢?
What if we could invest in her with real training,
如果我们能给她提供切实的培训
equip her with real medicines,
配备真正的药品
and have her have a real job?
给她一份真正的工作呢?
Well, in 2007, I was trying to answer these questions,
2007年 我一直在考虑这些问题
and my wife and I were getting married that year.
妻子和我也在那一年走入了婚姻殿堂
We asked our relatives to forgo the wedding registry gifts
我们让亲戚就不要送结婚礼物了
and instead donate some money
而是捐些钱
so we could have some start-up money to launch a nonprofit.
我们就有了成立非盈利机构的启动资金
I promise you, I’m a lot more romantic than that.
别误会 我保证我其实还是很浪漫的
[Laughter]
[笑声]
We ended up raising $6,000,
我们最终筹到了6000美元
teamed up with some Liberians and Americans
与一些利比里亚人和美国人一起
and launched a nonprofit called Last Mile Health.
成立了一家非盈利机构 叫“最后1英里医疗”
Our goal is to bring a health worker within reach of everyone, everywhere.
目标是把医疗人员带给所有地方的所有人
We designed a three-step process — train, equip and pay —
我们定了“三步走”计划 即培训 配给 资助
to invest more deeply in volunteers like Musu
深入扶持像Musu这样的志愿者
to become paraprofessionals, to become community health workers.
成为专业医疗辅助人员和社区医疗工作者
First we trained Musu to prevent, diagnose and treat
首先我们培训Musu如何预防诊断和治疗
the top 10 diseases afflicting families in her village.
对其所在村落危害最大的10种疾病
A nurse supervisor visited her every month to coach her.
会有一名护理督导员每月亲自去辅导她
We equipped her with modern medical technology,
我们给她配备了现代的医疗技术产品
like this $1 malaria rapid test,
像这种1美元的疟疾快速检测试纸
and put it in a backpack
把它装进背包
full of medicines like this to treat infections like pneumonia,
包里还装满了这类药 治疗肺炎之类的感染
and crucially, a smartphone,
最关键还有一部手机
to help her track and report on epidemics.
可以帮她追踪和报告各种流行病
Last, we recognized the dignity in Musu’s work.
最后 为了表示对Musu所做工作的尊重
With the Liberian government, we created a contract,
我们通过利比里亚政府拟定了一份合同
paid her and gave her the chance to have a real job.
付她薪水 给了她一份真正的工作
And she’s amazing.
她做的也很棒
Musu has learned over 30 medical skills,
Musu已经掌握了30多种医疗技能
from screening children for malnutrition,
从筛查儿童营养不良
to assessing the cause of a child’s cough with a smartphone,
到用智能手机诊断儿童咳嗽的原因
to supporting people with HIV
从对HIV患者提供帮助
and providing follow-up care to patients who’ve lost their limbs.
到为失去肢体的人提供后续医疗护理
Working as part of our team, working as paraprofessionals,
以专业辅助人员的身份 在团队中工作
community health workers can help ensure that
社区医疗人员可以确保
a lot of what your family doctor would do
承担家庭医生的许多职责
reaches the places that most family doctors could never go.
到达大多数家庭医生去不了的地方
One of my favorite things to do is to
我最喜欢的工作之一是
care for patients with community health workers.
和社区医疗工作者一起照顾病人
So last year I was visiting A.B.,
所以去年我去看望了A.B.
and like Musu, A.B. had had a chance to go to school.
跟Musu一样 A.B.也有幸上过学
He was in middle school, in the eighth grade, when his parents died.
他在上中学八年级时 父母去世
He became an orphan and had to drop out.
他成了孤儿 并被迫辍学
Last year, we hired and trained A.B.
去年 我们雇佣并训练他
as a community health worker.
成了一名社区医疗工作者
And while he was making door to door house calls,
当他挨家挨户上门服务时
he met this young boy named Prince,
他遇到了这个叫Prince的小男孩
whose mother had had trouble breastfeeding him,
他的母亲无法用母乳喂养他
and by the age of six months, Prince had started to waste away.
在六个月大时 Prince身体越来越瘦弱
A.B. had just been taught how to use this color-coded measuring tape
A.B.刚好学会用这种以颜色编码的检测条
that wraps around the upper arm of a child to diagnose malnutrition.
可以把它绑在儿童的上臂以诊断营养不良
A.B. noticed that Prince was in the red zone,
A.B.发现Prince的检测结果处于红区
which meant he had to be hospitalized.
这意味着他需要住院治疗
So A.B. took Prince and his mother to the river,
所以A.B.带着Prince和他的母亲去了河边
got in a canoe and paddled for four hours to get to the hospital.
坐上独木舟 划了四个小时到了医院
Later, after Prince was discharged,
在Prince出院后
A.B. taught mom how to feed baby a food supplement.
A.B.又教他的母亲如何给婴儿喂营养品
A few months ago, A.B. took me to visit Prince,
几个月前 A.B.带我去看望了Prince
and he’s a chubby little guy.
小家伙已经胖乎乎的了
[Laughter]
[笑声]
He’s meeting his milestones, he’s pulled himself up to a stand,
他正经历一些生理发展节点 已经能站立
and is even starting to say a few words.
甚至能开口说几句话了
I’m so inspired by these community health workers.
这些社区医疗工作者的行为深深触动了我
I often ask them why they do what they do,
我经常问他们为什么从事这些工作
and when I asked A.B.,
当我问A.B.的时候
he said, “Doc, since I dropped out of school,
他说:“医生 我辍学之后
this is the first time I’m having a chance to hold a pen to write.
这是我第一次有机会拿起笔写字
My brain is getting fresh.”
我的大脑为之一新
The stories of A.B. and Musu have taught me
A.B.和Musu的故事教会了我
something fundamental about being human.
人之为人的最基本的一些东西
Our will to serve others
我们服务别人的意愿
can actually help us transform our own conditions.
其实能帮我们改变自己的境况
I was so moved by how powerful the will to serve our neighbors can be
几年前 当我们面临一场全球性灾难时
a few years ago, when we faced a global catastrophe.
这种强烈的服务邻里意愿就令我非常感动
In December 2013,
2013年12月
something happened in the rainforests across the border from us in Guinea.
我们边境对面几内亚的雨林地区出事了
A toddler named Emile fell sick
一个叫Emile的幼儿生病了
with vomiting, fever and diarrhea.
有呕吐 发热和腹泻的症状
He lived in an area where the roads were sparse
他居住的地区 道路很少
and there had been massive shortages of health workers.
而且严重缺乏医疗工作者
Emile died, and a few weeks later his sister died,
Emile病死了 几周后他的姐姐病死
and a few weeks later his mother died.
又过了几周他的母亲也离开了人世
And this disease would spread from one community to another.
这个疾病在社区之间流传开来
And it wasn’t until three months later that the world recognized this as Ebola.
3个月后 世界才确认这是埃博拉病毒
When every minute counted, we had already lost months,
抗疫分秒必争 我们却已失去几个月时间
and by then the virus had spread like wildfire all across West Africa,
那时病毒已经像野火一样席卷西非
and eventually to other parts of the world.
最终蔓延到了世界上其他地方
Businesses shut down, airlines started canceling routes.
许多公司关闭 大量航线被迫取消
At the height of the crisis,
在疫情高峰期
when we were told that 1.4 million people could be infected,
我们得知感染人数可能高达140万
when we were told that most of them would die,
他们中的大部分人会死去
when we had nearly lost all hope,
我们的希望几乎完全破灭
I remember standing with a group of health workers
我还记得 在刚刚爆发疫情的一片雨林里
in the rainforest where an outbreak had just happened.
我当时和一群医疗工作者站在一起
We were helping train and equip them
我们教他们穿戴好
to put on the masks, the gloves and the gowns that they needed
必需的口罩 手套和防护服
to keep themselves safe from the virus
以确保在对患者进行救治时
while they were serving their patients.
他们自己不被感染
I remember the fear in their eyes.
我记得他们眼里的恐惧
And I remember staying up at night,
记得我晚上睡不着
terrified if I’d made the right call to keep them in the field.
担心把他们留在疫区的决定是否正确
When Ebola threatened to bring humanity to its knees,
当埃博拉病毒威胁着人类的生存时
Liberia’s community health workers didn’t surrender to fear.
利比里亚的社区医疗人员没有向恐惧屈服
They did what they had always done:
他们一如既往的坚守岗位
they answered the call to serve their neighbors.
响应号召 救助邻里
Community members across Liberia
利比里亚所有社区成员
learned the symptoms of Ebola,
都了解了埃博拉病毒引发的症状
teamed up with nurses and doctors to go door-to-door to find the sick
与护士和医生一起挨家挨户找出患者
and get them into care.
给他们提供医护服务
They tracked thousands of people who had been exposed to the virus
他们追踪了数千个曾暴露在病毒环境的人
and helped break the chain of transmission.
帮助切断病毒传播链
Some ten thousand community health workers risked their own lives
约万名社区医疗工作者冒着生命危险
to help hunt down this virus and stop it in its tracks.
投身于抗击病毒和阻断病毒传播的工作中
[Applause]
[掌声]
Today, Ebola has come under control in West Africa,
现在 埃博拉疫情在西非已经得到控制
and we’ve learned a few things.
我们也有所收获
We’ve learned that blind spots in rural health care
我们发现 乡村医疗的盲点
can lead to hot spots of disease,
会成为疫情的暴发点
and that places all of us at greater risk.
这会将所有人置于更加危险的境地
We’ve learned that the most efficient emergency system
我们还发现 最高效的应急系统
is actually an everyday system,
其实是日常运行系统
and that system has to reach all communities,
该系统需要遍及所有社区
including rural communities like Emile’s.
包括像Emile家那样的乡村
And most of all,
最重要的是
we’ve learned from the courage of Liberia’s community health workers
利比里亚社区医疗人员的勇气让我明白了
that we as people are not defined by the conditions we face,
我们身为人的意义不取决于所面临的状况
no matter how hopeless they seem.
不管其多么令人无助
We’re defined by how we respond to them.
而是取决于我们如何应对
For the past 15 years,
在过去的15年里
I’ve seen the power of this idea
我已经见证了这一理念的力量
to transform everyday citizens into community health workers —
即把普通居民变成社区医疗工作者
into everyday heroes.
使他们成为平民英雄
And I’ve seen it play out everywhere,
我见证了该理念在各处发挥的作用
from the forest communities of West Africa,
从西非的丛林社区
to the rural fishing villages of Alaska.
到阿拉斯加的渔村
It’s true, these community health workers
确实 这些医疗工作者不是在做
aren’t doing neurosurgery,
精细的神经外科手术
but they’re making it possible to bring health care
但是他们的努力让医疗服务
within reach of everyone everywhere.
惠及每个人和每个角落成为可能
So now what?
那么现在情况怎样呢?
Well, we know that there are still millions of people dying
我们知道 在世界各地的乡村
from preventable causes in rural communities around the world.
仍有数百万人死于本可预防的疾病
And we know that the great majority of these deaths
我们知道 这些死亡案例绝大多数
are happening in these 75 blue-shaded countries.
发生在这75个用蓝色标示的国家
What we also know
我们还发现
is that if we trained an army of community health workers
如果我们训练一支社区医疗工作者队伍
to learn even just 30 lifesaving skills,
他们只需掌握30项生命救援技能
we could save the lives of nearly 30 million people by 2030.
到2030年 就能挽救近3千万人的生命
Thirty services could save 30 million lives by 2030.
2030年前 用30种技能救回3千万条生命
That’s not just a blueprint —
这不只是一幅蓝图
we’re proving this can be done.
我们正在证明这是可以实现的
In Liberia, the Liberian government is training
埃博拉疫情过后 利比里亚政府正在训练
thousands of workers like A.B. and Musu after Ebola,
数以千计像A.B.和Musu这样的医疗人员
to bring health care to every child and family in the country.
以将医疗服务带给该国的每个孩子和家庭
And we’ve been honored to work with them,
我们很荣幸与他们共事
and are now teaming up with a number of
现在我们正在联合一些
organizations that are working across other countries
有跨国业务的组织
to try to help them do the same thing.
来帮其他国家实施同样的救助计划
If we could help these countries scale,
如果我们能帮这些国家升级医疗服务
we could save millions of lives,
我们就能拯救数百万生命
and at the same time, we could create millions of jobs.
与此同时 还能创造数百万个就业机会
We simply can’t do that, though, without technology.
然而 没有科技这些都是无法实现的
People are worried that technology is going to steal our jobs,
人们担心科技发展会造成失业
but when it comes to community health workers,
但对于社区医疗工作者而言
technology has actually been vital for creating jobs.
其实科技对创造就业至关重要
Without technology — without this smartphone,
如果没有科学技术 没有智能手机
without this rapid test —
没有这种快速检测试纸
it would have been impossible for us to be able to employ A.B. and Musu.
我们就不可能雇佣A.B.和Musu
And I think it’s time for technology to help us train,
我认为是时候让科技帮我们做培训了
to help us train people faster and better than ever before.
帮我们比以往更快和更好地训练医疗人员
As a doctor, I use technology to stay up-to-date and keep certified.
作为医生 我用科技更新知识和资质认证
I use smartphones, I use apps, I use online courses.
我用智能手机和应用程序 学习在线课程
But when A.B. wants to learn,
但是当A.B.想学习时
he’s got to jump back in that canoe and get to the training center.
只能划着独木舟赶去培训中心
And when Musu shows up for training,
当Musu来接受培训时
her instructors are stuck using flip charts and markers.
她的老师也只能用活动挂图和记号笔讲课
Why shouldn’t they have the same access to learn as I do?
为什么他们不能用跟我一样的学习工具呢?
If we truly want community health workers to master those lifesaving skills
如果真想社区医疗人员掌握这些救生技能
and even more,
及更多的知识能力
we’ve got to change this old-school model of education.
我们就得改变这种过时的教育模式
Tech can truly be a game changer here.
科技在这方面能颠覆旧模式
I’ve been in awe of the digital education revolution
我一直对数字教育革命心怀敬畏
that the likes of Khan Academy and edX have been leading.
比如可汗学院和edX所引领的教育革新
And I’ve been thinking that it’s time;
我一直在想 时机已经成熟
it’s time for a collision between the digital education revolution
是时候将数字教育革命
and the community health revolution.
和社区医疗革命融合在一起了
And so, this brings me to my TED Prize wish.
这就要说到我的TED大奖愿望了
I wish — I wish that you would help us
我希望大家帮助我们
recruit the largest army of community health workers
通过设立“社区医疗学院”
the world has ever known by creating the Community Health Academy,
招募一支史上最大规模的社区医疗工作者队伍
a global platform to train, connect and empower.
使学院作为培训 联络和赋能的全球平台
Thank you.
谢谢大家
[Applause]
[掌声]
Here’s the idea:
具体想法是这样的
we’ll create and curate the best in digital education resources.
我们会组织创建出最优质的数字教育资源
We will bring those to community health workers around the world,
把它们分享给全世界的社区医疗工作者
including A.B. and Musu.
包括A.B.和Musu
So they’ll get video lessons on giving kids vaccines
让他们看视频教程学习如何给孩子打疫苗
and have online courses on spotting the next outbreak,
或通过学习网课来识别下一场疫情的爆发
so they’re not stuck using flip charts.
这样他们就不单有活动挂图可用了
We’ll help these countries accredit these workers,
我们还会帮这些国家对他们进行资格认证
so that they’re not stuck remaining an under-recognized, undervalued group,
他们就不再是不被承认和重视的群体了
but become a renowned, empowered profession,
而是受尊敬的 有能力的专业工作者
just like nurses and doctors.
就像护士和医生一样
And we’ll create a network
我们还会创建一个网络
of companies and entrepreneurs who’ve created innovations that can save lives
联合在拯救生命方面有所创新的企业和企业家
and help them connect to workers like Musu,
帮他们联系像Musu这样的工作人员
so she can help better serve her community.
这样她就能更好地服务她的社区
And we’ll work tirelessly to persuade governments
我们会坚持不懈地说服各政府
to make community health workers a cornerstone of their health care plans.
使社区医疗工作者成为其医疗规划的基石
We plan to test and prototype the academy
我们计划在利比里亚和其它几个伙伴国家
in Liberia and a few other partner countries,
试点成立社区医疗学院的样板
and then we plan to take it global,
再推广到全世界
including to rural North America.
包括北美的乡村地区
With the power of this platform,
通过这个平台的努力
we believe countries can be more persuaded
我们认为各个国家会更加相信
that a health care revolution really is possible.
医疗革命确实可行
My dream is that this academy will contribute to
我的梦想是将来这个学院能够
the training of hundreds of thousands of community members
培训出成千上万的社区医疗成员
to help bring health care to their neighbors —
将医疗服务带给他们的邻居们
the hundreds of millions of them that live in the world’s most remote communities,
即数亿居住在世界上最偏远社区的人们
from the forest communities of West Africa,
从西非的丛林社区
to the fishing villages of rural Alaska;
到阿拉斯加乡下的渔村
from the hilltops of Appalachia, to the mountains of Afghanistan.
从阿巴拉契亚峰顶之上到阿富汗群山之间
If this vision is aligned with yours,
如果您也认同这一愿景
head to communityhealthacademy.org,
请登录communityhealthacademy.org
and join this revolution.
来加入这场革命
Let us know if you or your organization
如果你 你的组织或你所认识的人
or someone you know could help us
能提供帮助 请与我们联系
as we try to build this academy over the next year.
我们将在明年开始创建这个学院
Now, as I look out into this room,
此刻 当我看着这个大厅
I realize that our journeys are not self-made;
我感到这一路走来靠的不是个人
they’re shaped by others.
而是靠他人共同协助
And there have been so many here that have been part of this cause.
这里有很多人都曾是这个事业的一份子
We’re so honored to be part of this community,
我们很荣幸能身处这个群体
and a community that’s willing to take on a cause as audacious as this one,
一个愿意从事有这么大风险的事业的群体
so I wanted to offer, as I end, a reflection.
结束前 我想再提出一些反思
I think a lot more about what my father taught me.
关于我父亲教给我的东西 我想了很多
These days, I too have become a dad.
现在 我也成为了一名父亲
I have two sons,
我有两个儿子
and my wife and I just learned that she’s pregnant with our third child.
妻子和我刚知道我们即将迎来第3个宝宝
Thank you. [Applause]
谢谢大家[掌声]
I was recently caring for a woman in Liberia
最近我正在照顾一名在利比里亚的妇女
who, like my wife, was in her third pregnancy.
她跟我妻子一样也怀了第三胎
But unlike my wife,
但和我妻子不同的是
had had no prenatal care with her first two babies.
她在怀前两个孩子时 没接受过孕期护理
She lived in an isolated community in the forest that had gone for 100 years
她住在一个已与世隔绝百年的丛林社区
without any health care
那里没有任何医疗服务
until … until last year when a nurse trained her neighbors
直到去年 一名护士给她的邻居做了培训
to become community health workers.
使其成为社区医疗工作者
So here I was, seeing this patient who was in her second trimester,
我去的时候这名妇女正处于中期妊娠
and I pulled out the ultrasound to check on the baby,
我为她的宝宝进行了超声波检查
and she started telling us stories about her first two kids,
她向我们讲起了她前两个孩子的事
and I had the ultrasound probe on her belly,
我把超声波探头放在她的腹部上
and she just stopped mid-sentence.
她说了一半 停了下来
She turned to me and she said,
转向我 然后说
“Doc, what’s that sound?”
“医生 那是什么声音?”
It was the first time she’d ever heard her baby’s heartbeat.
那是她第一次听到她宝宝的心跳
And her eyes lit up
她的眼睛亮了起来
in the same way my wife’s eyes and my own eyes lit up when we heard our baby’s heartbeat.
就像妻子和我听到我们宝宝心跳时的眼神一样
For all of human history,
纵观整个人类的历史
illness has been universal and access to care has not.
疾病无处不在 医疗救护却不是随时可得
But as a wise man once told me:
正如一位智者曾告诉我的那样
no condition is permanent.
“没有任何状况是永远不变的”
It’s time. It’s time for us to go as far as it takes
是时候了 是时候让我们一起竭尽全力
to change this condition together.
来改变这不如意的现况了
Thank you.
谢谢大家
[Applause]
[掌声]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

人人都可能生病,但医疗救护却不是随时随地可得,尤其是那些身处偏远乡村的人们。Raj Panjabi 教授和他的社区医疗团队致力于为这些偏远地区的人们提供医疗救助,预防抗击疫情,挽救生命。教授坚信,“没有任何状况是永恒不变的”。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

melan

审核员

审核员LJ

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HF8mMe2pU

相关推荐