未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

在麻省理工学院制作奖章

Making Medallions at MIT

[音乐]
[MUSIC PLAYING]
James Hunter: 人类使用金属 铸造金属
JAMES HUNTER: Humans have been using metals and casting metals
已经有上千年的历史了
for thousands of years.
金属真的很重要 它塑造了
It’s been really important, and it’s really shaped
它们与世界
the way that they’ve interacted with our world
以及与我们之间的互动方式
and with each other.
在这几千年里 铸造金属的过程
And in those thousands of years, the processes really
并没有很大改变
haven’t changed that much.
所以你会看到古希腊工匠
So if you were to see the way that an ancient Greek artisan
铸造著名青铜雕像时使用的方法
made a bronze statue, which they’re so famous,
看起来真的很像
those methods would really look a lot
我们今天在麻省理工铸造厂使用的方法
like the methods we use in the foundry here at MIT today.
在这里 我们不是要铸造一尊尊巨大的雕塑
We don’t make a whole lot of giant sculptures here,
而是要为每一年的材料科学专业毕业生
but we do make a whole lot of medallions every year
铸造一枚奖章
for the graduates of materials science.
材料科学专业
Each year, we have about 100 students graduate
每年大约有100名毕业生
from materials science.
他们每个人都能得到一枚青铜奖章
And each one of them gets a bronze medallion
奖章上刻有麻省理工学院印章
that has the MIT seal on it.
这些奖章的创作制造
The creation of these medallions is really
是以学生为主导的集体活动
a community event with mostly student-led manufacturing.
Jennifer Glerum: 四年来 我几乎每天都来这里
JENNIFER GLERUM: I have been coming in pretty routinely
此时此刻 我觉得
for the past four years, and I’ve basically
我基本上参与了每一步制作
worked on every step, I think, at this point.
并且我认为 不管你是不是期待已久
And whether you’ve been looking forward to it for a long time
或者你甚至都不知道奖章的传统
or you don’t even really know about the medallion tradition,
它就是一个人们欣赏的 统一的东西
I think it’s a unifying thing that people really appreciate.
在制作结束后 你收到你的奖章时
At the end, when you receive your medallion,
即便你不知道
even if you don’t know specifically
具体是谁制造了这个奖章
the people who went into doing that work,
你也基本上知道这个团队里 有和你一起制作奖章的人
you know generally the group was people you worked with,
有你在麻省理工四年来认识的人
people you knew for all four years at MIT,
有你每天在走廊上会碰到的人
and people you saw in the hallway every day,
有和你一起吃午餐的人
people you ate lunch with.
这就使得这枚奖章比
And that means something different than just
工厂里大批量生产的奖章更有意义
like a mass-produced medallion in a factory somewhere.
James Hunter: 实际上 制作一枚奖章
JAMES HUNTER: There’s actually a lot of work
有大量工作要做
that goes into each individual medallion.
如果你把所有步骤划分开来
If you break down all of the steps
计算出它要花多少时间
and figure out how much time it takes,
那么制作每一枚奖章都要花上几个小时
it’s a few hours of work going into each medallion.
所以 考虑到我们每年大约制作100枚奖章
So given that we make roughly 100 a year,
那就是需要几百小时的劳动时间
it’s several hundred hours of labor.
这也是奖章如此重要的原因之一
That’s one of the reason why it’s
每年都会有很多学生
so important that lots of students
来帮忙
come down and help every year.
Jenier Glerum: 材料科学系里有些人
JENIER GLERUM: Some people in the Department of Materials
研究电池技术
Science study battery technology,
有些人研究聚合物 或者研究生物材料
or polymers, or biomaterials.
冶金学不是一门很热门的学科
Metallurgy’s not really like the hot new forefront of the field,
但这就是我所做的
but that’s what I do.
我觉得这也是
And I think that’s partly why I kept
我制作奖章的部分原因吧
coming back to the medallions.
我学到了一些和我的课程相关的东西
I was learning something that was relevant to my coursework
以及一些和我兴趣相关的东西
and relevant to my interests.
四年后 我仍在这个宽阔的地下室里
And four years later, I’m still in the basement of the infinite,
制作奖章
still working on the medallions.
但这次是我领取奖章的时候了
But this time, it’s time for me to receive my medallion,
我很兴奋
and I’m so excited about it.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

麻省理工材料科学系的学生们自己制作的毕业奖章是什么样的呢?

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Sharon

审核员

自动通过审核

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaryKnfPOQ

相关推荐