未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

工作万岁 - 无分贵贱

Learning from dirty jobs | Mike Rowe

The “Dirty Jobs” crew and I were called
有人提议我和《肮脏工作》的工作人员
to a little town in Colorado, called Craig.
去一个在科罗拉多州叫“Craig”的小镇
It’s only a couple dozen square miles.
那是个只有几十平方英里的地方
It’s in the Rockies.
位于落基山脉
And the job in question was sheep rancher.
这次我要体验的工作就是牧羊场工
My role on the show,
我本期的角色——
for those of you who haven’t seen it — it’s pretty simple.
以防有人不知道——非常简单
I’m an apprentice,
是一名学徒
and I work with the people who do the jobs in question.
我和那些牧羊场工一起工作
And my responsibilities are to simply try and keep up,
我要做的只不过是努力跟上这些人
and give an honest account of what it’s like to be these people
然后真实地记录下这些人
for one day in their life.
一天的生活内容
The job in question: herding sheep.
这份工作就是牧羊
Great.We go to Craig and we check into a hotel,
好的 我们到了这个地方 住进了旅馆
and I realize the next day
第二天我就意识到了
that castration is going to be an absolute part of this work.
阉割是这份工作所必须的
Normally, I never do any research at all.
一般来说 我从来不做研究
But this is a touchy subject, and I work for the Discovery Channel,
但这个任务有点棘手 我又在《探索频道》工作
and we want to portray accurately whatever it is we do.
我们想要力求真实
And we certainly want to do it with a lot of respect for the animals.
当然 对动物的尊重也是我们做这个研究的原因
So I call the Humane Society and I say,
我打给动物保护协会说:
“Look, I’m going to be castrating some lambs. Can you tell me the deal?”
“我现在得阉割几个羊羔 你能告诉我怎么做吗”
And they’re like, “Yeah, it’s pretty straightforward.”
然后他们说:“可以 这很简单”
They use a band, basically, a rubber band, like this, only a little smaller.
他们用了一个圈 一个橡皮圈 像这样 只不过更小
This one was actually around the playing cards
这个其实是拿来套扑克牌的
I got yesterday —
我昨天拿到的
(Laughter)
(笑声)
But it had a certain familiarity to it.
但和他们用的那个有一定的相似性
And I said, “Well, what exactly is the process?”
我说:“具体要怎么做呢”
And they said, the band is applied to the tail, tightly.
他们说 这个圈是用来套尾巴的
And then another band is applied to the scrotum, tightly.
另一个用来紧紧地把阴囊套住
Blood flow is slowly retarded;
这部分血液慢慢不流通
a week later the parts in question fall off.
一周以后睾丸就会脱离
“Great — got it.”
好的 我懂了
OK, I call the SPCA to confirm this.
我又打给英国动物保护协会来确认
They confirm it.
他们也肯定了这种做法
I also call PETA just for fun,
我又为了好玩打给善待动物组织
and they don’t like it, but they confirm it.
他们不喜欢 但是也肯定了这种做法
OK, that’s basically how you do it.
好吧 那这就是我接下来要做的了
So the next day I go out.
第二天我出去
And I’m given a horse and we go get the lambs
我分配到了一匹马
and we take them to a pen that we built,
然后我把羊群带到我们盖好的畜栏里
and we go about the business of animal husbandry.
我们今天要做的就是牧羊
Melanie is the wife of Albert.
梅勒尼是阿尔伯特的妻子
Albert is the shepherd in question.
阿尔伯特是今天的主角
Melanie picks up the lamb, one hand on both legs on the right,
梅勒尼抱起一只羊 一只手抓着右边两条腿
likewise on the left.
另一只手抓住左边的
Lamb goes on the post, she opens it up.
把羊绑到柱子上 再把它两边的腿打开
Alright. Great.
好吧 不错
Albert goes in, I follow Albert, the crew is around.
阿尔伯特进去了 我跟着他 工作人员在我们旁边
I always watch the process done the first time before I try it.
第一次亲手做之前 我总是要先看一下过程
Being an apprentice, you know, you do that.
作为一个学徒 你懂的 你得这么做
Albert reaches in his pocket to pull out,
阿尔伯特把手伸进口袋 然后理应拿出
you know, this black rubber band,
这种黑色橡皮圈
but what comes out instead is a knife.
但他竟然拿出了一把小刀
And I’m like, “Hmm, that’s not rubber at all,” you know?
然后我说:“这可不是橡皮啊”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And he kind of flicked it open in a way that caught the sun
然后他把刀打开 从落基山脉上洒下的阳光
that was just coming over the Rockies, it was very —
正好照射到刀面上 那可真是……
(Laughter)
(笑声)
It was … it was impressive.
真是 真是令人印象深刻
In the space of about two seconds,
大概两秒钟的时间
Albert had the knife between the cartilage of the tail,
阿尔伯特拿着刀 刀在羊软骨和尾巴之间
right next to the butt of the lamb,
也就是羊屁股的旁边
and very quickly, the tail was gone
手起刀落 尾巴已经被切断
and in the bucket that I was holding.
丢到了我拿着的桶里
A second later, with a big thumb and a well-calloused forefinger,
一秒钟后 羊阴囊被紧紧的捏在
he had the scrotum firmly in his grasp.
他的大拇指和变硬的食指之间
And he pulled it toward him, like so,
他把羊向他拉近了一点 像这样
and he took the knife and he put it on the tip.
拿出刀 用刀对准阴囊的顶部
“Now, you think you know what’s coming, Michael,
你以为你能想象的接下来的事吗 迈克尔
You don’t, OK?”
你太天真了
(Laughter)
(笑声)
He snips it, throws the tip over his shoulder,
他把阴囊顶部剪断 扔到身后
and then grabs the scrotum and pushes it upward,
然后抓住阴囊把它向上推
and then his head dips down, obscuring my view.
然后他低下了头 挡住了我的视线
But what I hear is a slurping sound,
但我还是听到了啧啧的声音
and a noise that sounds like Velcro being yanked off a sticky wall,
就像你把魔术贴从墙上撕下的声音那样
and I am not even kidding.
我不是在开玩笑
Can we roll the video?
我们可以放一下那个视频吗
No, I’m kidding, we don’t —
不 我开玩笑的 我们不用
(Laughter)
(笑声)
I thought it best to talk in pictures.
我觉得最好还是用图片讲吧
I do something now I’ve never, ever done
我做了一个在《肮脏工作》节目录制过程中
on a “Dirty Jobs” shoot, ever.
从没有做过也不会再做的事
I say, “Time out. Stop.”
我说:时间到了 停止
You guys know the show, we use take one; we don’t do take two.
你们也知道这个节目 我们都是一镜到底没有重录
There’s no writing, there’s no scripting, there’s no nonsense.
没有创作 没有剧本 没有胡说八道
We don’t fool around, we don’t rehearse —
我们不糊弄人 不搞彩排
we shoot what we get!
我们只拍我们看到的
I said, “Stop. This is nuts.”
我说:“停下 这太过了”
I mean —
我是说
(Laughter)
(笑声)
This is crazy.
这太疯狂了
We can’t do this.
我们不能做这种事
And Albert’s like, “What?”
阿尔伯特说:“什么”
And I’m like, “I don’t know what just happened,
我说:“我不知道刚刚发生了什么
but there are testicles in this bucket,
但桶里有了睾丸
and that’s not how we do it.”
这不是我们取睾丸的方法”
He said “Well, that’s how we do it.”
他说:“那这是我们取睾丸的方法”
I said, “Why would you do it this way?”
我说:“你为什么要这么取睾丸”
And before I even let him explain,
我没给他时间解释
I said, “I want to do it the right way, with the rubber bands.”
接着说:“我想拿橡皮套用正确的方法取”
And he says, “Like the Humane Society?”
他说:“像动物保护协会那样吗”
I said, “Yes, like the Humane Society.
我说:“对 像动物保护协会那样
Let’s do something that doesn’t make the lamb squeal and bleed.
咱们可以用让羊羔不用尖叫也不用流血的方法啊
We’re on in five continents, dude!
我们节目可是要在五大洲播出的 兄弟
We’re on twice a day on the Discovery — we can’t do this.”
一天要还要在《探索频道》播放两次啊 我们不能做这种事”
He says, “OK.”
他说:“好吧”
He goes to his box and pulls out a bag of these little rubber bands.
他走到盒子那里拿出来几个橡皮圈
Melanie picks up another lamb, puts it on the post,
梅勒尼又抓了只羊羔绑在柱子上
band goes on the tail, band goes on the scrotum.
用橡皮圈绑住尾巴和阴囊后
Lamb goes on the ground, lamb takes two steps, falls down,
羊被放到了地上 走了两步 跌倒了
gets up, shakes a little,
站起来 有一点发抖
takes another couple steps, falls down.
再走几步 跌倒
I’m like, this is not a good sign for this lamb, at all.
看起来非常不好受
Gets up, walks to the corner.
又起来 走到角落里
It’s quivering, and it lies down and it’s in obvious distress.
它在发抖 趴在地上显然很痛苦
And I’m looking at the lamb and I say, “Albert, how long?
我看着羊羔说:“阿尔伯特 它得要多久
When does he get up?”
才能重新站起来”
He’s like, “A day?”
他说:“大概一天吧”
“A day! How long does it take them to fall off?”
我说:“一天!那睾丸脱落要多久呢”
“A week.”
“一周”
Meanwhile, the lamb that he had just done his little procedure on is,
同时 那只刚刚被他做过“手术”的羊
you know, he’s just prancing around, bleeding stopped.
已经活蹦乱跳 血也止住了
He’s, you know, nibbling on some grass, frolicking.
它在啃草 戏耍
And I was just so blown away at how completely wrong I was,
在那一刻 我才意识到
in that second.
刚刚我错得离谱
And I was reminded how utterly wrong I am, so much of the time.
也意识到了 人生有多少次 我都错得离谱
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And I was especially reminded
我尤其意识到了
of what a ridiculously short straw I had that day,
那天我有多倒霉
because now I had to do what Albert had just done,
因为我必须要做阿尔伯特刚刚做过的事
and there are like 100 of these lambs in the pen.
羊圈里大概有100只羊吧
And suddenly, this whole thing’s starting to feel like a German porno,
突然 整件事变得像德国色情小说的情节一样
and I’m like —
然后我就像
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Melanie picks up the lamb, puts it on the post, opens it up.
梅勒妮抓起羊 绑到柱子上 打开羊的腿
Albert hands me the knife.
阿尔伯特把刀给我
I go in, tail comes off.
我挥刀 尾巴掉下来了
I go in, I grab the scrotum, tip comes off.
继续 我抓住羊的阴囊
Albert instructs, “Push it way up there.”
阿尔伯特指导我说:“要推到这”
I do.
我照做了
“Push it further.”
“再往上推点”
I do.
我照做了
The testicles emerge. They look like thumbs, coming right at you.
睾丸出来了看起来像手指头一样 直对着你出来了
And he says, “Bite ’em.
然后他又说:“把它咬掉
Just bite ’em off.”
咬掉就行”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And I heard him, I heard all the words —
我听到他说的了 清清楚楚
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Like, how did I get here?
我怎么能做得出来呢
How did — I mean —
我怎么……
how did I get here?
我怎么能咬那种地方呢
It’s just — it’s one of those moments where the brain goes off on its own,
那一瞬间我的大脑自动宕机了
and suddenly, I’m standing there in the Rockies,
我正站在落基山脉
and all I can think of is the Aristotelian definition of a tragedy.
但突然 我脑海中只有亚里士多德关于悲剧的定义
You know, Aristotle says a tragedy is that moment
亚里士多德说悲剧就发生在
when the hero comes face to face with his true identity.
英雄面对真实的自我的瞬间
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And I’m like, “What is this jacked-up metaphor?
我心想 这是什么乱七八糟的隐喻啊
I don’t like what I’m thinking right now.”
我讨厌我现在想的事
And I can’t get this thought out of my head,
这些想法赶不走
and I can’t get that vision out of my sight,
眼前的场景又躲不掉
so I did what I had to do.
我还是把该做的做了
I went in and I took them.
我进去 抓住它们
I took them like this,
像这样
and I yanked my head back.
把头猛地向后一甩
And I’m standing there with two testicles on my chin.
我站在那 腮帮子旁还有两个睾丸
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And now I can’t get — I can’t shake the metaphor.
此刻我脑海里想到还是那个隐喻
I’m still in “Poetics,” in Aristotle, and I’m thinking —
我还在想着亚里士多德的那本诗论
out of nowhere, two terms come crashing into my head,
突然 两个词从我脑海中闪现
that I hadn’t heard
那两个词
since my classics professor in college drilled them there.
在我大学的古典学教授讲完之后再也没出现过
And they are “anagnorisis” and “peripeteia.”
它们是 anagorisis和 peripeia
Anagnorisis and peripeteia.
Angnorisis和peripeteia
Anagnorisis is the Greek word for discovery.
Anagorisis是希腊词 意思是发现
Literally, the transition from ignorance to knowledge is anagnorisis.
字面上 从无知到有识的过程叫anagnorisis
It’s what our network does; it’s what “Dirty Jobs” is.
这也是我们频道和《肮脏工作》正在做的
And I’m up to my neck in anagnorises every single day.
每天这些“发现”的工作都能堆到我脖子这么高
Great.
很好
The other word, peripeteia,
另一个词 peripeteia
that’s the moment in the great tragedies —
那是巨大的悲剧发生的一瞬间
Euripides and Sophocles.
欧里庇得斯和索福克勒斯
That’s the moment where Oedipus has his moment, where he suddenly realizes
那是俄狄浦斯王突然发现
that hot chick he’s been sleeping with and having babies with
和他同床共枕孕育小孩的美女
is his mother.
竟然是他母亲
That’s peripety, or peripeteia.
这就是反转 或者peripeteia
And this metaphor in my head —
我脑海中的隐喻
I’ve got anagnorisis and peripeteia on my chin —
就是“发现”和“反转”现在都在我腮帮旁
(Laughter)
(笑声)
I’ve got to tell you, it’s such a great device, though.
我必须得告诉你 这睾丸真是个好东西
When you start to look for peripeteia,
当你开始寻找“反转”的时候
you find it everywhere.
你会发现它随处可见
I mean, Bruce Willis in “The Sixth Sense,” right?
就像《第六感》里布鲁斯·威利斯那样
Spends the whole movie trying to help the little kid who sees dead people,
一整部电影他都在帮助一个可以看到鬼魂的小孩
and then — boom! — “Oh, I’m dead.”
然后 蹦!原来我是个死人啊
Peripeteia. You know?
反转 你懂的
It’s crushing when the audience sees it the right way.
观众在那一瞬间就都明白了
Neo in “The Matrix,” you know?
还有像《黑客帝国》里的尼奥
“Oh, I’m living in a computer program.
我竟然生活在一个电脑程序里
That’s weird.”
这真诡异
These discoveries that lead to sudden realizations.
这些发现都让人恍然大悟
And I’ve been having them, over 200 dirty jobs,
我一直都在做这些肮脏的活 现在大概做了200件了
I have them all the time, but that one —
我一直在做 但那一个
that one drilled something home in a way that I just wasn’t prepared for.
那个让人心惊肉跳 我完全没有准备的事
And, as I stood there,
我站在那儿
looking at the happy lamb that I had just defiled —
那些我阉割过 刚刚活蹦乱跳的小羊
but it looked OK;
现在它们看起来都还不错
looking at that poor other little thing that I’d done it the right way on,
看着那些我用“正确”的方式阉割的小可怜
and I just was struck by —
我突然想到
if I’m wrong about that,
如果这件事我错了的话
and if I’m wrong so often, in a literal way,
如果我实际上经常犯错误的话
what other peripatetic misconceptions might I be able to comment upon?
我还能对其它的“错误观念”说什么呢
Because, look — I’m not a social anthropologist,
因为 你看 我不是社会人类学家
but I have a friend who is.
但我有个朋友是
And I talk to him.
我跟他说了这件事
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And he says, “Hey Mike, look.
他说:“迈克 你看
I don’t know if your brain is interested in this sort of thing or not,
我不知道你是否对这种事感兴趣
but do you realize you’ve shot in every state?
但你没意识到你已经拍摄过每一个大洲了吗
You’ve worked in mining, you’ve worked in fishing,
你在矿产干过 在渔场干过
you’ve worked in steel, you’ve worked in every major industry.
你当过钢铁厂工人 主要行业的工作你都做过了
You’ve had your back shoulder to shoulder with these guys
你和做这些工作的人共事
that our politicians are desperate to relate to every four years, right?”
每隔四年我们的政治家都非常想尝试这种体验 对吧”
I can still see Hillary doing the shots of rye,
我还记得希拉里和铁工们痛饮
dribbling down her chin, with the steel workers.
啤酒顺着她下巴流下的场景
I mean, these are the people that I work with every single day.
我是说这些人每天和我一起工作
“And if you have something to say about their thoughts, collectively,
如果你想对这个集体的思想发表一些总结性的看法的话
it might be time to think about it.
可能要费一段功夫
Because, dude, you know, four years.”
因为 兄弟 这可是四年
So, that’s in my head, testicles are on my chin,
所以 这是我脑海中的想法 睾丸在我的嘴里
thoughts are bouncing around.
思想无边无际
And, after that shoot, “Dirty Jobs” really didn’t change,
在那次拍摄结束后 《肮脏工作》并没有改变
in terms of what the show is, but it changed for me, personally.
它本身没变 但对我个人来说 它已经变了
And now, when I talk about the show,
现在 当我谈起这个节目的时候
I no longer just tell the story you heard and 190 like it.
我不会只说那些大多数都会喜欢的故事
I do, but I also start to talk about some of the other things
我会说那些 但是还说其它的一些事
I got wrong;
我做错的事
some of the other notions of work
那些对工作的想法
that I’ve just been assuming are sacrosanct,
那些我曾经认为神圣的工作
and they’re not.
都是错误的
People with dirty jobs are happier than you think.
干这些肮脏工作的人比你想象的要快乐
As a group, they’re the happiest people I know.
他们是我在认识的人中最快乐的了
And I don’t want to start whistling “Look for the Union Label,”
我并不是想哼着 “咱们工人有力量”
and all that happy-worker crap.
说着那些快乐工人的废话
I’m just telling you that these are balanced people
我只想告诉你 他们都是一群和谐的人
who do unthinkable work.
做着不可思议的工作
Roadkill picker-uppers whistle while they work, I swear to God —
那些一边在路边捡尸块一边唱着歌的人
I did it with them.
我发誓 我跟他们一起做过这样的事
They’ve got this amazing sort of symmetry to their life.
他们的生活达到了不可思议的平衡
And I see it over and over and over again.
这是我一次又一次亲眼所见的
So I started to wonder what would happen
我想如果我们去挑战那些
if we challenged some of these sacred cows?
被奉为真理的事会怎么样
Follow your passion —
跟随你的热情
we’ve been talking about it here for the last 36 hours.
我们在过去的36小时一直在讨论这个问题
Follow your passion — what could possibly be wrong with that?
跟随你的热情——这会有什么错呢
It’s probably the worst advice I ever got.
但这可能是我得到的最糟糕的建议
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Follow your dreams and go broke, right?
追随你的梦想然后梦想破碎 是吧
I mean, that’s all I heard growing up.
我是说 这是我从小听到大的
I didn’t know what to do with my life,
我不知道该怎么过我的一生
but I was told if you follow your passion, it’s going to work out.
但有人告诉我追随你的热情 总会实现的
I can give you 30 examples right now.
我现在就可以给你举30个例子
Bob Combs, the pig farmer in Las Vegas
鲍勃·哥伦布 拉斯维加斯的养猪户
who collects the uneaten scraps of food from the casinos
从赌场收集那些剩菜
and feeds them to his swine.
然后拿去喂猪
Why?
为什么
Because there’s so much protein in the stuff we don’t eat,
因为我们不吃的这些食物中有很多蛋白质
his pigs grow at twice the normal speed,
他的猪比一般猪的成长速度快两倍
and he’s one rich pig farmer.
他是个有钱的养猪户
He’s good for the environment,
对环境也很友好
he spends his days doing this incredible service,
他提供了极好的服务
and he smells like hell, but God bless him.
虽然闻起来一言难尽 但愿上帝保佑他
He’s making a great living.
他过得很不错
You ask him, “Did you follow your passion here?”
你问他:“这份工作是你的热情所在吗”
and he’d laugh at you.
他会笑你
The guy’s worth — he just got offered like 60 million dollars for his farm
他的身价——有人出六千万买他在拉斯维加斯外的农场
and turned it down, outside of Vegas.
然后他拒绝了
He didn’t follow his passion.
他并没有追寻他的热情
He stepped back and he watched where everybody was going,
他退一步 看到其他人都朝着一个方向走去
and he went the other way.
而他走向了另一边
And I hear that story over and over.
下面这个故事我听过无数遍了
Matt Freund, a dairy farmer in New Canaan, Connecticut,
马特·弗洛因德 康涅狄格州的奶农
who woke up one day and realized
有一天起床后他突然想到
the crap from his cows was worth more than their milk,
牛粪是要比牛奶还要值钱的
if he could use it to make these biodegradable flowerpots.
如果能把牛粪做出生物可分解的花盆的话
Now he’s selling them to Walmart, right?
现在他把这些花盆卖给沃尔玛
Follow his passion? The guy’s — come on.
追随他的热情?他的——拜托
So I started to look at passion,
我开始审视热情
I started to look at efficiency vs. effectiveness.
我开始审视效率和效果
As Tim talked about earlier, that’s a huge distinction.
像蒂姆前面说过的 它们有巨大的区别
I started to look at teamwork and determination.
我开始审视团队合作和决心
And basically, all those platitudes they call “successories”
基本上 那些他们叫做成功的陈词滥调
that hang with that schmaltzy art in boardrooms around the world right now,
那些矫情的文字 被挂在世界各地的会议室里
that stuff — it’s suddenly all been turned on its head.
那些东西 有些本末倒置了
Safety. Safety first
安全 安全第一
is me going back to OSHA and PETA
就是我跟职业安全健康管理局 善待动物组织
and the Humane Society
动物权益组织确认
What if OSHA got it wrong?
但如果职业安全与卫生署错了呢
I mean — this is heresy, what I’m about to say —
我现在说的都是胡说八道 但如果
but what if it’s really safety third?
如果是安全第三呢
Right?
是吧
(Laughter)
(笑声)
No, I mean, really.
不 我是认真的
What I mean to say is:
我认真的讲
I value my safety on these crazy jobs
我在这些疯狂的工作中很珍惜我的生命
as much as the people that I’m working with,
和我一起工作的人也是一样
but the ones who really get it done —
但那些真正在做这些事的人
they’re not out there talking about safety first.
他们不会站在那里说安全第一
They know that other things come first —
他们知道有些事更重要
the business of doing the work comes first,
工作是最重要的
the business of getting it done.
要把工作做完
And I’ll never forget, up in the Bering Sea,
我永远都不会忘记在白令海那次
I was on a crab boat with the “Deadliest Catch” guys —
我和《致命捕捞》的工作人员一起在一艘螃蟹船上
which I also work on in the first season.
这些人也有参与第一季的制作
We were about 100 miles off the coast of Russia:
我们大概在离俄罗斯海岸一百英里处
50-foot seas, big waves, green water coming over the wheelhouse, right?
海水深五十英尺 巨浪滔天 海水灌进舵手室
Most hazardous environment I’d ever seen,
我见过的最危险的工作环境
and I was back with a guy, lashing the pots down.
我和几个工作人员一起 把桶放下去
So I’m 40 feet off the deck,
我离甲板四十英寸远
which is like looking down at the top of your shoe, you know,
大概就是眼睛到鞋的距离
and it’s doing this in the ocean.
然后船在海上翻滚
Unspeakably dangerous.
无法言说的危险
I scamper down, I go into the wheelhouse
我慌忙跑进舵手室
and I say, with some level of incredulity,
带着一些迟疑说:
“Captain — OSHA?”
“船长——职业与安全健康标准?”
And he says, “OSHA? Ocean.”
他说:标准?就是大海
And he points out there.
然后他指了指那里
(Laughter)
(笑声)
But in that moment, what he said next
那一刻他接下来说的话
can’t be repeated in the Lower 48.
不能在美国重复
It can’t be repeated on any factory floor or any construction site.
也不能在工厂或者工地重复
But he looked at me and said, “Son,” —
他看着我说:“孩子”
he’s my age, by the way, he calls me “son,”
他跟我一样大 不过他叫我孩子
I love that —
我喜欢这个称呼
he says, “Son, I’m the captain of a crab boat.
他说:孩子 我是这艘船的船长
My responsibility is not to get you home alive.
我的责任不是让你活着回家
My responsibility is to get you home rich.”
而是让你富着回家
(Laughter)
(笑声)
“You want to get home alive, that’s on you.”
“你想活着回家的话 那得靠你自己”
And for the rest of that day — safety first.
然后那天剩下的时间都是 安全第一
I mean, I was like —
我是说 我就像这样
So, the idea that we create this sense of complacency
我们创造了这个虚假的 自满的想法
when all we do is talk about somebody else’s responsibility
我们总是在讨论别人的责任
as though it’s our own, and vice versa.
就好像那是我们的责任似的 反之亦然
Anyhow, a whole lot of things.
不管怎样 很多事
I could talk at length about the many little distinctions we made
我可以举出一堆我们制造出来的细微差别
and the endless list of ways that I got it wrong.
还有无数我搞错的事
But what it all comes down to is this:
但是这一切都造成了一件事
I’ve formed a theory,
我形成了一套理论
and I’m going to share it now in my remaining 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
我将在剩下的两分三十秒中分享
It goes like this:
它大概是
we’ve declared war on work, as a society — all of us.
在社会做 我们所有人都向工作宣战
It’s a civil war.
这是一场内战
It’s a cold war, really.
一场冷战 真的
We didn’t set out to do it
我们本无意开始战争
and we didn’t twist our mustache in some Machiavellian way,
我们也没有像马基雅维利一样搓着自己的小胡子
but we’ve done it.
但我们还是发起了冷战
And we’ve waged this war on at least four fronts,
而这场战争至少波及了四条战线
certainly in Hollywood.
地点绝对是在好莱坞
The way we portray working people on TV —
我们通过电视描绘工人的形象
it’s laughable.
这很可笑
If there’s a plumber, he’s 300 pounds
一个水管工 一定得是体重300磅
and he’s got a giant butt crack, admit it.
而且有个大腚沟
You see him all the time.
你经常看到他们
That’s what plumbers look like, right?
这就是水管工的样子 对吧
We turn them into heroes, or we turn them into punch lines.
我们奉他们为英雄 或视他们为笑话
That’s what TV does.
这就是电视的作用
We try hard on “Dirty Jobs” not to do that,
我们尽量让《肮脏工作》不呈现这样的效果
which is why I do the work and I don’t cheat.
这是我们节目不做戏的原因
But, we’ve waged this war on Madison Avenue.
我们在麦迪逊大街也拉开了战线
So many of the commercials that come out there in the way of a message —
那里制作出了这么多广告
what’s really being said?
而这些广告都告诉了你什么呢
“Your life would be better if you could work a little less,
如果你的工作少点 你的人生就会更美好
didn’t have to work so hard, got home a little earlier,
不用这么努力工作 早点回家
could retire a little faster, punch out a little sooner.”
可以早点退休 早点打卡下班
It’s all in there, over and over, again and again.
这就是它们所传递的 一遍又一遍
Washington?
华盛顿
I can’t even begin to talk about the deals and policies in place
我甚至无法谈论这些协定和法条
that affect the bottom-line reality of the available jobs,
它们会触及到就业机会真实的底线
because I don’t really know;
因为我也不了解
I just know that that’s a front in this war.
我只知道这就是战争的前线
And right here, guys — Silicon Valley.
现场的观众 硅谷
I mean — how many people have an iPhone on them right now?
我是说 现在有多少人手里拿着iPhone
How many people have their BlackBerry?
多少人带着他们的黑莓机
We’re plugged in; we’re connected.
我们接入 连接
I would never suggest for a second
我永远也不会说
that something bad has come out of the tech revolution.
在科技革命中发明出了很糟糕的产品
Good grief, not to this crowd.
要命 至少不是对着你们
(Laughter)
(笑声)
But I would suggest
但我会说
that innovation without imitation is a complete waste of time.
没有模仿的创新就是在浪费时间
And nobody celebrates imitation
没有人赞赏模仿
the way “Dirty Jobs” guys know it has to be done.
《肮脏工作》的工作人员知道一定要有人做这件事
Your iPhone without those people making the same interface,
你的iPhone 如果没有那些人做着相同的面板
the same circuitry, the same board, over and over —
相同的电路 相同的电板 一个又一个
all of that — that’s what makes it equally as possible
这一切 这些工作和设计手机的天才们
as the genius that goes inside of it.
所做的工作一样重要
So, we’ve got this new toolbox. You know?
现在我们有了新的工具箱
Our tools today don’t look like shovels and picks.
现在的工具已经不再是镐和铲子
They look like the stuff we walk around with.
它们看起来就像我们每天携带的东西
And so the collective effect of all of that
这些工具的集体作用
has been this marginalization of lots and lots of jobs.
让越来越多的工作边缘化
And I realized, probably too late in this game —
我意识到 也许太晚了
I hope not, because I don’t know
不过我希望不晚 我不知道
if I can do 200 more of these things —
我能不能再做200件这样的事
but we’re going to do as many as we can.
但我们会尽可能多做的
And to me, the most important thing to know
对我来说 最重要的是知道
and to really come face to face with,
并面对
is that fact that I got it wrong about a lot of things,
我许多事情都错了的事实
not just the testicles on my chin.
不仅是我腮帮子旁的睾丸
I got a lot wrong.
我弄错了
So, we’re thinking — by “we,” I mean me —
所以 我们在想 我是说我
(Laughter)
(笑声)
that the thing to do is to talk about a PR campaign for work —
我们要面向大众宣传这些工作
manual labor, skilled labor.
手工 技工
Somebody needs to be out there, talking about the forgotten benefits.
需要有人去宣讲这些被遗忘的价值
I’m talking about grandfather stuff,
我现在讲的话跟爷爷说的话似的
the stuff a lot us probably grew up with
我们从小听到大
but we’ve kind of — you know, kind of lost a little.
我们已经 已经遗忘了一点了
Barack wants to create two and a half million jobs.
奥巴马想要创造二百五十万的工作岗位
The infrastructure is a huge deal.
基础建设部分就占了很大一部分
This war on work that I suppose exists,
我认为 工作的战争是存在的
has casualties like any other war.
像其它战争一样会有伤亡
The infrastructure is the first one,
而基层建设首当其冲
declining trade school enrollments are the second one.
技校的入学率占第二
Every single year, fewer electricians,
每一年 电工减少了
fewer carpenters, fewer plumbers,
木匠减少了 水管工人减少了
fewer welders, fewer pipe fitters,
焊接工减少了 管道安装工人减少了
fewer steam fitters.
蒸汽管道工减少了
The infrastructure jobs that everybody is talking about creating
那些我们一直在谈论的基础建设
are those guys —
是这些人建造的
the ones that have been in decline, over and over.
而数量一直在减少的 也是他们
Meanwhile, we’ve got two trillion dollars, at a minimum,
同时 根据美国土木工程协会的估计
according to the American Society of Civil Engineers,
我们至少需要两万亿美金
that we need to expend to even make a dent in the infrastructure,
才能让基层建设有一点进步
which is currently rated at a D minus.
而美国的基建水平现在是D-
So, if I were running for anything — and I’m not —
如果我想要宣传什么 现在我并没有
I would simply say that the jobs we hope to make
我会简单的说我们希望制造出的工作
and the jobs we hope to create
或希望创造出的工作
aren’t going to stick unless they’re jobs that people want.
除非是人们想要的 不然是不会持久存在的
And I know the point of this conference
这次讲座的重点
is to celebrate things that are near and dear to us,
是赞颂那些我们身边的和我们关系密切的事
but I also know that clean and dirty aren’t opposites.
我知道干净的工作和肮脏的工作并不是对立的
They’re two sides of the same coin,
它们是硬币的两面
just like innovation and imitation,
一面是创新 一面是模仿
like risk and responsibility, like peripeteia and anagnorisis,
一面是风险一面是责任 一面是转折一面是发现
like that poor little lamb,
像那只可怜的小羊一样
who I hope isn’t quivering anymore,
我希望它现在不再发抖了
and like my time that’s gone.
像我的时间已经到了
It’s been great talking to you.
很高兴和你们交流
And get back to work, will you?
回去工作吧
(Applause)
(鼓掌声)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

每一份工作都值得被尊重,我们应当正确认识所有工作的价值

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

nano

审核员

审核员XY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVdiHu1VCc

相关推荐