未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

学习语言?像打游戏一样说出口!

Learning a language? Speak it like you’re playing a video game | Marianna Pascal | TEDxPenangRoad

Transcriber: Phuong Cao Reviewer: Peter van de Ven
听录:Phuong Cao 审核:Peter van de Ven
For the past 20 years,
过去20年间
I’ve been helping Malaysian and other Southeast Asians
我一直忙于帮马来西亚人和其他东南亚人
to speak better English.
把英语说得更好
And through training thousands of Southeast Asians,
通过指导成千上万的东南亚人
I’ve discovered a very surprising truth.
我发现了一个惊人的事实
I’ve discovered that how well somebody communicates in English
那就是部分人英语交流水平的好坏
actually has very little to do with their English level.
其实与他们的英语水平没多少关系
It has a lot to do with their attitude towards English.
而与他们对英语的态度有很大关系
There are people out there who have a very low level of English,
那边有些人虽然英语水平很低
and they can communicate very, very well.
却能用它非常顺畅地交流
One of them that I remember was a student, a participant of mine named Faizal.
我记得他们当中有个学生 是我的一个学员 叫Faizal
He was a factory supervisor –
是一名工厂监督员
English level very, very low –
虽然英语水平非常差
but this guy could just sit and listen to anybody,
但他先却能坐下冷静而清晰的
very calmly, clearly,
倾听任何人的英语
and then he could respond,
然后能再
absolutely express his thoughts beautifully,
以他极低的英语水平
at a very low level of English.
漂亮地完全表达出他的想法
So, today I want to share with you
那么 今天我想和大家分享
what is so different about people like Faizal?
像Faizal这样的人有什么特别之处?
How do they do it?
他们是怎样做到的?
And second of all,
其次
why is this so important not only to you,
为什么这不仅仅对你
but to your children, to your community, and to the future of Malaysia?
对你们的孩子 社会 甚至马来西亚的未来都至关重要?
And third of all,
第三
what’s one thing you can do, starting today,
如果想和Faizal一样
if you want to speak with that calm, clear confidence
能镇定自如 充满自信地说英语
that people like Faizal have.
你们从今天起要做的一件事是什么?
First of all,
第一个问题
what is so different?
他们哪里特别
How do people like Faizal do it?
他们又是如何做到的
To answer that question,
要回答这个问题
I’m going to take you back about 10 years, okay?
我就要带大家回到大约10年前
I was training staff at that time,
那时我是一个训练员
and my daughter, at that time, was taking piano lessons.
而我的女儿正在上钢琴课
And I started to notice two really strong similarities
我发现我女儿对待弹钢琴的想法和态度
between my daughter’s attitude or thinking towards playing the piano
和许多马来西亚人对待英语的想法和态度
and a lot of Malaysians’ thinking or attitude towards English.
有两处极为相似的点
First of all, I should tell you
首先 我得告诉你们
my daughter absolutely hated piano,
我女儿是绝对讨厌钢琴
hated the lessons,
讨厌钢琴课
hated practicing.
讨厌练琴的
This is my daughter practicing piano, okay?
这就是我女儿练琴的样子
This is as good as it got.
这还是比较好的时候
This is the real thing.
这就是真实状态
And she dreaded going to piano lessons
她害怕上钢琴课
because to my daughter, going to piano lessons,
因为对她而言 每次去
she was filled with this sort of dread.
总是会满怀这样的恐惧
Because it was all about not screwing up, right?
一直担惊受怕的 怕搞砸了
Because like a lot of piano students,
因为和很多学钢琴的一样
to both my daughter and her teacher,
对我女儿和她的老师而言
her success in piano was measured by how few mistakes she made.
钢琴的成败是由他她造成的失误的多少来衡量的
At the same time,
同时
I noticed that a lot of Malaysians went into English conversations
我发现很多马来西亚人用英语对话时
with the same sort of feeling of dread.
也有同样的恐惧心理
This sort of feeling that they were going to be judged
这种害怕别人
by how many mistakes they were going to make,
对自己接下来会错多少
and whether or not they were going to screw up.
以及会不会搞砸进行评判的感觉
Now, the second similarity that I noticed was to do with self- image.
我注意到的第二个相似点和自我印象有关
My daughter, she knew what good piano sounded like, right?
我女儿知道好听的钢琴声是什么样的
Because we’ve all heard good piano.
因为优美的琴曲我们都听过
And she knew what her level was,
所以她也知道自己的水平
and she knew how long she’d have to play for to play like that.
知道她离弹成那样好还差得有多远
And a lot of Malaysians, I noticed,
我发现 很多马来西亚人
had this idea of what good proper English is supposed to sound like,
对良好而准确的英语听上去应该是怎样的
and what their – I see a lot of you nod –
以及他们的 – 我看到很多人点头了
and what their English sounded like,
以及他们自己说的听上去咋样
and how far they would have to go to get there.
和他们离练成那样好需要多久有清楚的认知
And they also felt like they were – like my daughter – just bad,
像我女儿一样 他们也感觉自己很差劲
bad piano player, bad English speaker, right?
一个钢琴弹得差 一个英语说得差
My English not so good, lah. Cannot. Sorry, yah. Cannot. Ah –
我英语不好啦 不行呀 抱歉呀 不成啊
So I could see these similarities,
然后我看见这些相似点了
but I still couldn’t figure out,
但我还是搞不懂
okay, what is it about these people like Faizal, that are so different,
Faizal这类人的什么特别之处
that can just do it smoothly, calmly, with confidence?
让他们能顺利 沉着 自信地说英语
One day, I discovered that answer,
知道有一天 我发现了答案
and I discovered it quite by chance.
我是偶然发现的
It was a day when my computer broke down,
那天 我的电脑坏了
and I had to go to a cybercafe.
我不得不去网吧
Okay, it was my first time,
那是我第一次去
and I discovered cybercafes are disgusting places, okay?
到那儿我发现它是个讨人厌的地方
They’re really gross.
真的很恶心
They’re smelly, and they’re filled with boys.
坐满了臭烘烘的男孩们
And they’re all playing noisy, violent games.
他们都在玩又吵又暴力的游戏
They’re just disgusting places.
然而网吧那么讨人厌
But I had to go there.
我却不得不去
So I sat down,
于是我坐下了
and I started noticing this guy beside me.
注意起我旁边的那个家伙
And I became very interested in this guy next to me.
我对他产生了浓厚的兴趣
Now, this guy is playing this game
他正在打游戏
that is basically, it’s like shooting people until they die.
内容基本是向人射击直至他们死掉
And that’s it. (Laughter)
要就是这样 [笑声]
That’s the game, right?
就这么个游戏
And I’m noticing that this guy is not very good.
我注意到他玩得不太好
In fact, he’s terrible, right?
老实说 很烂
Because I’m looking, and I’m seeing, like, a lot of shooting
因为我看着他打了很多枪
and … not much dying, right?
但是……却没干掉多少人
(Laughter)
[笑声]
What really interested me was
让我真正感兴趣的是
behind this lousy player were three of his friends,
这个菜鸟身后站着他三个朋友
sort of standing there watching him play.
正看着他玩
What I really noticed was
我特别注意到
even though this guy was terrible,
就算玩得很烂
even though his friends were watching him,
就算他的朋友们都在围观
there was no embarrassment.
他也丝毫不尴尬
There was no feeling of being judged.
对受人评判毫无感觉
There was no shyness.
丝毫不害羞
In fact, quite the opposite.
事实上 恰恰相反
This guy’s totally focused on the bad guys,
他完全专注于射击敌人
smile on his face.
面露微笑
All he can think about is killing these guys, right?
只想着怎么干掉这些人
And I’m watching him.
而我看着他
And I suddenly realize: this is it.
忽然意识到:这就是答案
This is the same attitude
这和Faizal那类人
that people like Faizal have when they speak English,
说英语时的态度如出一辙
just like this guy.
就像他这样
When Faizal goes into an English conversation,
Faizal用英语对话的时候
he doesn’t feel judged.
并无受人评判的不自在
He is entirely focused on the person that he’s speaking to
他完全专注于对话的对象
and the result he wants to get.
和他想要达到的结果
He’s got no self-awareness,
他不会忧心忡忡
no thoughts about his own mistakes.
不会去想自己的小失误
I want to share with you a real, true example, to paint a picture,
我想再分享一个真实的案例让你们
of somebody who speaks English like they are playing piano
对一个人弹钢琴似的说英语
and someone who speaks English like they are playing a computer game.
和玩电脑游戏似的说英语有个画面感
And this is a true story.
这是真实的故事
It happened to me.
亲身经历
A while ago, I was in a pharmacy.
不久前 我去了趟药房
I had to buy omega;
去买Omega胶囊
my doctor said I should get omega.
是医生让我买的
And I go to the shelf,
当我走向柜台
there’s tons of omega,
那里有数不清的Omega
there’s omega that’s high in DHA,
有高DHA的
omega that’s high in EPA,
高EPA的
and I don’t know which one to buy.
我不知道该买哪一种
Now, the sales rep happened to be there.
然后推销员正好在那儿
And I saw she’s like this well-dressed, professional woman.
我看她穿着得体像个专业人士
I walk over to her, and I see this look as she sees me,
我走向她 她看见我时露出这种表情
this sort of – it’s a look I recognize very well.
这种 – 我再熟悉不过的表情
Her eyes go all wide.
她瞪大双眼
It’s sort of that panic:
眼神里满是慌张
Oh my God! I’ve got to speak to a native speaker;
老天爷!我要和老外说英语了
she’s going to judge me and notice my mistakes.
她肯定对我评判然后发现我的失误
I go up to her, and I explain my situation:
我走近她 说明了我的情况
which omega do I get?
问哪该买哪一种Omega?
And she starts explaining to me
然后她开始给我讲解
everything about DHA and EPA you could possibly imagine.
你能想到的关于DHA和EPA的一切
She speaks very quickly, goes all around in circles.
她说得很快 不停地绕来绕去
And when she finishes,
到她说完的时候
no idea what to buy.
我都不清楚该买哪种
(Laughter)
[笑声]
So I turn to the girl behind the counter.
于是我转而求助于收银台后的女孩
Now, the girl behind the counter,
这个女孩
I heard her before, her English level is very low.
我以前听说过她的英语水平很低
But when I walk over to her,
但是当我走向她
this girl,
这个姑娘
there’s no fear.
丝毫不慌
In fact, she’s just looking at me.
她只是看着我
You know that look?
你们明白那种表情吗?
Like…Yeah? Okay…So, how?
像是…咋啦?好吧…所以呢?
(Laughter)
[笑声]
Yeah, I’ve been in Malaysia a long time.
我在马来西亚待了很久
(Laughter)
[笑声]
So, I go up to her and I explain the problem, EPA and DHA.
我凑近她说明了我的选择难题 选EPA还是DHA
She looks at me, she says,
她看着我 说
“Okay, yeah. “
“OK 好”
“Ah, EPA for heart.”
“呃 EPA用于心脏”
“DHA for brain.”
“DHA用于大脑”
(Laughter)
[笑声]
“Your heart okay or not?”
“你心脏还好吧?” 她问我
(Laughter)
[笑声]
So I said,
于是我说
“Yeah, yeah,”
“是啊 是啊”
I said, “my heart is really, I think it’s pretty good.”
“我的心脏没问题 我认为它好得很”
She says,
她又问
“Your brain okay or not?”
“那你脑子还好吗?”
(Laughter)
[笑声]
I said, “No. No, my brain is not as good as it used to be.”
我说:“不 不 我的脑子不如过去好使了”
She looks and says,
她看着我说
“Okay lah, you take Omega DHA!”
“好啦 那你买Omega DHA”
(Laughter)
[笑声]
Problem solved, right?
问题这就解决了
So we’ve got two different kinds of communicators.
这个案例里有两种交流者
We’ve got the one who’s got a high level,
一位虽然英语水平很高
but totally focused on herself and getting it right,
却只关注于自己不要失误
and therefore, very ineffective.
所以沟通的效果不行
We’ve got another one,
而另一位
low-level,
虽然英语不好
totally focused on the person she’s talking to and getting a result.
但是只关注交流对象和交流结果
Effective.
效果就很好
And therein lies the difference.
这就是她们的区别
Now, why is this distinction so important not just to you, to your children,
为什么这个区别不仅对你 对你的孩子
but to the future of Malaysia and countries like Malaysia?
乃至马来西亚的将来和像它这样的国家都至关重要
And to answer that, let’s take a look
为了回答这个问题 我们看看
at who actually is speaking English in the world today, okay?
今天这个世界上有多少人是真的在讲英语?
So, if we looked at all of the English conversations in the whole world,
如果我们看一下正地球各处
taking place right now on planet Earth,
进行的全部英语会话
we would see that for every native speaker, like me,
会发现对于像我这样的英语母语者来说
there are five non-native speakers.
有五种非英语母语者
And if we’d listen to every conversation in English on planet Earth right now,
如果我们现在听下地球上的每一条英语对话
we would notice that 96% of those conversations
就会发现其中有96%
involved non-native English speakers –
是涉及到非英语母语者的
only 4% of those conversations are native speaker to native speaker.
而只有4%是英语母语者之间的
This is not my language anymore,
这不再是我的语言
this language belongs to you.
而是属于大家的语言
It’s not an art to be mastered;
它不是一门要精通的艺术
it’s just a tool to use to get a result.
只是一个用来达成结果的工具
And I want to give you a real-life example of what English is today in the world,
关于当今世界的英语 真正的英语 是啥样
real English today.
讲个活生生的例子
This is another true story.
这又是一个真实的故事
I was at a barbecue a little while ago –
不久前我参加了一次烧烤聚会
this was a barbecue for engineers,
它是为世界各地的工程师们
engineers from all over the world.
而准备的
And they were making hot dogs.
他们在那儿做热狗
Some of the hot dogs were regular hot dogs,
有一些是常规热狗
and some were these cheese hot dogs, you know, with the cheese in the middle.
还有一些是奶酪热狗 你们知道的 中间加奶酪那种
A French engineer is cooking the hot dogs,
一个法国工程师正在烤热狗
and he turns to this Korean engineer,
他对一个韩国工程师说
and he says, “Would you like a hot dog?”
“你喜欢热狗吗?”
And the Korean guy says, “Yes, please!”
那个韩国人回答说 “当然!”
He says, “Do you want the cheese?”
他又问 “那你要奶酪吗?”
And the Korean guy looks around at the table,
那个韩国人扫视了下桌子说
he says, “I no see cheese.”
“没看到奶酪啊”
The French guy says, “The hot dog is contains the cheese.”
法国人说 “热狗是含奶酪的”
(Laughter)
[笑声]
The Korean guy doesn’t understand him, right?
韩国人一头雾水
So the French engineer tries again.
于是法国工程师又说了一遍
“The hot dog is … making from … with the cheese.”
“热狗是 ……由奶酪……制作而成的”
Korean guy still doesn’t understand.
韩国人还是没懂
He tries again,
他又又说了一遍
he says, “The hotdog is coming from –
他说 “热狗来自-
No, the cheese is coming from the hot dog.”
不对 奶酪来自热狗”
(Laughter)
[笑声]
Korean guy cannot understand.
韩国人还是没明白
Now there’s a Japanese engineer who’s been listening to this conversation,
有个一直听着他们的对话的日本工程师
turns to the Korean engineer
转头对韩国工程师说道
and he says, “Ah! Cheese … integrator!”
“啊 奶酪…混在一起”
(Laughter)
[笑声]
He understands, okay.
他立马懂了
(Laughter)
[笑声]
Everybody understands.
每个人都懂了
So, this is what English is today.
所以这就是如今英语的样子
It’s just a tool to play around with to get a result,
他只是一个广泛使用以达成结果的工具
like a computer game.
就像一个电脑游戏
Now, the challenge is that we know in schools all around the world,
现在的挑战是世界上的所有学校
English is not really being taught like it’s a tool to play with.
并没有告诉学生英语只是一个利用的工具
It’s still being taught like it’s an art to master.
而是说它是一门要掌握的艺术
And students are judged more on correctness than on clarity.
对学生们 只重正确得体却忽视了清楚表达
Some of you might remember the old comprehension exam in school.
你们有些人或许还记得上学时的阅读理解题
Does everybody remember in school
你们记得上学时
when you’d get a question about a text that you read,
当被问到关于你所读的文章的一个问题
you’d have to read through some text, right?
你得通读它们 对吗?
And then answer a question to show that you understood the text?
回答这个问题来表明你懂了这篇文章
And this may have happened to you that you showed you understood the text,
然后可能会发生你明明懂了文章答对了问题
but you got a big X because you made a little grammar mistake.
却因为语法错误而得到一个大大的叉的情况
Like this student.
就像这个学生
This student clearly understood paragraph four.
他显然理解了第四段的意思
But no, not correct!
但是不 不对
Because he left the letter N off the word “environment.”
因为他漏掉了environment里面的n
But in the real world, what would matter?
在现实生活中 这有关系吗?
In the real world, what would matter is did you understand the email,
现实生活中 有关系的是你是否理解了电邮
or did you understand your customer so that you can go ahead and take action?
或者理解了你的客户 这样才好采取下一步行动
Now, the problem that I see here,
现在 我从当中看出的问题
over and over,
一遍又一遍地
is that people take the attitude they developed about English in school,
是人们把他们在学校形成的对英语的态度
and they bring it into their adult life and into their work.
带到了他们成人后的生活以及工作当中
And if you’re in a stressful situation,
如果你在紧张的状态下
and you’re having a conversation,
去应对一段会话
and you’re trying to give a result to someone and say it correctly,
既想达到对方要的结果又要言语无误
your brain multi-tasks, it cannot do two things at once.
你的大脑是多任务的 可它不能同时做两件事
And what I see is the brain just shutting down.
我看到的是你的大脑关机了
And you may recognize these three symptoms of the brain shutting down.
你或许可以从这三个征兆识别出大脑正在关闭
The first one is that your listening goes.
第一个就是你的听消失了
Someone is talking to you, and you’re so busy thinking
别人正和你谈话 而你却忙于思考
about how you’re going to respond and express yourself correctly,
你要怎么回答以及如何准确表达
you don’t actually hear what the other person said.
并没有确切地听到对方讲了什么
And I can see a lot of nodding in the audience.
我看到观众席上很多人在点头
The second thing to go is your speaking.
第二个消失的是你的说
Your mind sort of shuts down,
你的大脑有些宕机了
and that vocabulary you do know just disappears,
然后你知道的词汇不见了
and the words don’t come out.
以至于说不出话来
The third thing to go is your confidence.
第三个消失的是你的自信
The worst thing about this is
关于这个最糟糕的是
you may only be [un]confident because you cannot express yourself clearly,
你或许不仅仅对不能清楚地表达自己
but to the person talking to you,
还对同你对话的人不自信
they may misunderstand this
觉得他们会误以为
as a lack of confidence in your ability to do the job, to perform.
你缺乏对自己工作能力以及自身表现的自信
So if you want to speak English like Faizal with that great confidence,
所以如果你想和Faizal一样带着巨大的信心说英语
here’s the one thing that you can do.
就有这样一件事你可以做
When you speak, don’t focus on yourself.
在讲话的时候不要关注你自己
Focus on the other person and the result you want to achieve.
而去关注对方和你想要达成的结果
Imagine a next generation of Malaysians,
想象一下下一代的马来西亚人
all with that wonderful confidence in communication that Faizal has,
无论什么英语水平的
at any level of English.
全都带着Faizal那样非凡的自信去交谈
Because let’s remember
因为我们要记住
that English today is not an art to be mastered,
如今英语不是一门要掌握的艺术
it’s just a tool to use to get a result.
而只是用来达成结果的一个工具
And that tool belongs to you.
并且它是属于你们的
Thank you.
谢谢
(Applause)
[掌声]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

一个关于日常英语会话中如何使用英语这个工具的演讲。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

sinner梁

审核员

审核员GURU

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7c7otG2mk

相关推荐