未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

糟糕的建筑是如何毁掉城市的

James Kunstler: How bad architecture wrecked cities

我们每日的生活环境
The immersive ugliness
正因为僵硬的标准
of our everyday environments in America
而日益沦为丑陋的世界
is entropy made visible.
我们不能低估这样的地方
We can’t overestimate the amount of despair
给我们带来的绝望
that we are generating with places like this.
我在这儿最想传达的是:如果我们还想继续在美国这片土地上
And mostly, I want to persuade you that we have to do better
延续文明 我们必须做得更好
if we’re going to continue the project of civilization in America.
顺便说一句
By the way, this doesn’t help.
这个不管用它可不会让下面经过的人更愉快
Nobody’s having a better day down here because of that.
有很多定义这个现状的方法
There are a lot of ways you can describe this.
我喜欢把它叫做“国家机动车陋街”
You know, I like to call it “the national automobile slum.”
还可以管它叫“蔓延的市郊”
You can call it suburban sprawl.
我觉得它还可以被确切的称作
I think it’s appropriate to call it
世界史上最烂的资源分配效果
the greatest misallocation of resources in the history of the world.
也可以把它叫做露馅的垃圾技术聚会
You can call it a technosis externality clusterfuck.
它是我们面临一大难题
And it’s a tremendous problem for us.
最明显的——这带来的最突出的问题在于
The outstanding — the salient problem about this for us
这些地方已经沦为了不值得关注的地方
is that these are places that are not worth caring about.
就这点我们可以再多说几句
We’re going to talk about that some more.
“感知空间”
A sense of place:
创造有意义、高质量的个性空间的能力
your ability to create places that are meaningful and places of quality and character
完全取决于你心中建筑物之于空间的定义
depends entirely on your ability to define space with buildings,
并选择建筑领域中合适的词汇、
and to employ the vocabularies, grammars,
语法、语序、韵律以及建筑模式
syntaxes, rhythms and patterns of architecture
以此向我们传达“我们是谁”
in order to inform us who we are.
美国的公共空间有两个用途:
The public realm in America has two roles:
社会文明在那儿继续 市民生活在那里进行
it is the dwelling place of our civilization and our civic life,
那儿同样也是大众利益的集中体现
and it is the physical manifestation of the common good.
当公共空间的级别降低时
And when you degrade the public realm,
市民生活的质量 以及公共、
you will automatically degrade the quality of your civic life
社会生活的所有内容就自然而然的降级了在美国
and the character of all the enactments of your public life and communal life that take place there.
最常见的公共空间就是街道
The public realm comes mostly in the form of the street in America
因为我们没有那些古老文明所有的千年大教堂广场
because we don’t have the 1,000-year-old cathedral plazas
以及露天市场
and market squares of older cultures.
我们定义空间、并创造出值得关注的地方的能力
And your ability to define space and to create places that are worth caring about
都来自我们称作“城市环境设计”这个领域
all comes from a body of culture that we call the culture of civic design.
这是一个集知识、方法、技能、原则为一体的整体
This is a body of knowledge, method, skill and principle
而二战之后 我们把它打入了冷宫
that we threw in the garbage after World War II
决定我们再也不需要它了 我们不会再用到它
and decided we don’t need that anymore; we’re not going to use it.
这带来的后果 我们在周围就可以看到
And consequently, we can see the result all around us.
公共空间不仅有提示我们所处地理位置的职能
The public realm has to inform us not only where we are geographically,
同时也提醒我们 我们的文化所处的位置
but it has to inform us where we are in our culture.
我们文化的源头在哪儿 我们是怎样的民族——公共空间
Where we’ve come from, what kind of people we are, and it needs to,
需要以这种方式使得我们窥见一丝未来的方向
by doing that, it needs to afford us a glimpse to where we’re going
给当下的我们带来一线希望
in order to allow us to dwell in a hopeful present.
如果说有巨大的灾难——
And if there is one tremendous —
如果说我们已建的东西带来了什么灾难的话
if there is one great catastrophe about the places that we’ve built,
那就是我们近50年来给自己营造的居住环境
the human environments we’ve made for ourselves in the last 50 years,
剥夺了我们对在希望中生活的能力
it is that it has deprived us of the ability to live in a hopeful present.
我们比较典型的生活环境是这样的:
The environments we are living in, more typically, are like these.
这正巧是我住的地方以北两英里处的垃圾建筑行星带
You know, this happens to be the asteroid belt of architectural garbage two miles north of my town.
还记得吗 创造一个有个性和质量的空间
And remember, to create a place of character and quality,
你首先需要有定义空间的能力
you have to be able to define space.
看看这是如何在这个国家实现的
So how is that being accomplished here?
如果你站在这边沃尔玛的停车场上
If you stand on the apron of the Wal-Mart over here
试着看那边儿的Target商店
and try to look at the Target store over here,
由于地球的曲率 你根本看不着(笑)
you can’t see it because of the curvature of the Earth. (Laughter)
那是大自然告诉你“你干得很烂”的方式结果是
That’s nature’s way of telling you that you’re doing a poor job of defining space.
人们渐渐地再也不想到这些地方来
Consequently, these will be places that nobody wants to be in.
这些地方将要成为不值得关注爱护的地方在美国
These will be places that are not worth caring about.
大概有38000个类似的地方
We have about, you know, 38,000 places
不值得我们爱护
that are not worth caring about in the United States today.
等我们有足够多的这样的地方 我们就将要拥有一个不值得保卫的国家了!
When we have enough of them, we’re going to have a nation that’s not worth defending.
我希望你们在想到这个的时候
And I want you to think about that when you think about
想想还在伊拉克之类地方的那些青年男女们
those young men and women who are over in places like Iraq,
他们的血正洒在沙子里
spilling their blood in the sand,
问问自己他们对家的最后的记忆的什么?
and ask yourself, “What is their last thought of home?”
我可不希望是查克芝士店和Target商店间的路牙子!
I hope it’s not the curb cut between the Chuck E. Cheese and the Target store
因为那不值得美国人为之洒热血(掌声)
because that’s not good enough for Americans to be spilling their blood for. (Applause)
这个国家必须有更好的公共空间
We need better places in this country.
公共空间 这就是个不错的例子
Public space. This is a good public space.
它值得我们爱护
It’s a place worth caring about. It’s well defined.
有意义它是一个强有力的室外房间
It is emphatically an outdoor public room.
最重要的是——
It has something that is terribly important —
它包着一层所谓的活跃的、可渗透的薄膜就是说
it has what’s called an active and permeable membrane around the edge.
周围有商店、酒吧、小酒馆、各种去处——
That’s a fancy way of saying it’s got shops, bars, bistros, destinations —
——人们进进出出 随时可以融入
things go in and out of it. It’s permeable.
啤酒端进端出 服务生进进出出
The beer goes in and out, the waitresses go in and out,
这些将这个地方激活 让人们喜欢上那儿待着
and that activates the center of this place and makes it a place that people want to hang out in.
在其他文明中的这类地方
You know, in these places in other cultures,
人们自愿去那儿 因为他们喜欢这些地方
people just go there voluntarily because they like them.
我们不需要在这儿办个手工艺品展览吸引人们来(笑)
We don’t have to have a craft fair here to get people to come here. (Laughter)
也不必举行宽扎节
You know, you don’t have to have a Kwanzaa festival.
人们自然回去 因为待在那儿是种享受
People just go because it’s pleasurable to be there.
这个是在我们美国的公共空间
But this is how we do it in the United States.
可能是美国最著名的失败的公共空间典型
Probably the most significant public space failure in America,
由当代著名设计师设计 哈里·考铂和贝聿铭:
designed by the leading architects of the day, Harry Cobb and I.M. Pei:
波士顿市政大厅广场
Boston City Hall Plaza.
这样阴沉的地方连酒鬼都不想去(笑)
A public place so dismal that the winos don’t even want to go there. (Laughter)
我们不能改进它 因为贝聿铭还活着呢
And we can’t fix it because I.M. Pei’s still alive,
每年哈弗和麻省理工组织一个联合委员会试图修整它
and every year Harvard and M.I.T. have a joint committee to repair it.
而每年他们都失败了 因为他们不想伤了贝聿铭的心
And every year they fail to because they don’t want to hurt I.M. Pei’s feelings.
这是建筑的另一边
This is the other side of the building.
这是一个国际设计比赛的获奖作品 我想 好像是1966年
This was the winner of an international design award in, I think, 1966, something like that.
并不是贝和考铂 而是另一间公司的设计
It wasn’t Pei and Cobb, another firm designed this,
但是世界上没有足够的百忧解(治疗抑郁症的药物)能化解走过这个街区的沉重
but there’s not enough Prozac in the world to make people feel OK about going down this block.
这是波士顿市政厅的背面
This is the back of Boston City Hall,
最著名的 奥尔巴尼——不好意思——波士顿最重要的城市建筑
the most important, you know, significant civic building in Albany — excuse me — in Boston.
它传递了什么信息?
And what is the message that is coming,
什么样的词汇、
what are the vocabularies and grammars that are coming, from this building
语法?它在怎样告诉我们“我们是谁?”
and how is it informing us about who we are?
事实上 还不如挂上约瑟夫·斯大林 波尔布特和萨达姆·侯赛因
This, in fact, would be a better building if we put mosaic portraits
以及所有二十世纪暴君的马赛克肖像
of Josef Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein,
挂在外墙上
and all the other great despots of the 20th century on the side of the building,
因为那样我们至少能真正感觉它对我们说些什么你看
because then we’d honestly be saying what the building is really communicating to us.
那真是一栋独裁者大楼
You know, that it’s a despotic building;
它想让我们觉得自己都是小白蚁(笑)
it wants us to feel like termites. (Laughter)
这里规模小点儿
This is it on a smaller scale:
这是我住的地方 纽约州萨拉托加矿泉城的市政厅背面
the back of the civic center in my town, Saratoga Springs, New York.
顺便说一下 我把幻灯片给城里的一伙基瓦尼成员看过
By the way, when I showed this slide to a group of Kiwanians in my town,
他们都愤然地将注意力从奶油鸡肉上转移了过来(笑)
they all rose in indignation from their creamed chicken, (Laughter)
对我大叫说:
and they shouted at me and said,
“你拍照那天肯定下着雨!”
“It was raining that day when you took that picture!”
因为这竟然能被理解成了天气问题(笑)
Because this was perceived to be a weather problem. (Laughter)
这座建筑被设计得像台DVD机(笑)
You know, this is a building designed like a DVD player. (Laughter)
音频插口
Audio jack, power supply —
电源——我们都认为这些对于建筑事务所来说是很重要的项目
and look, you know these things are important architectural jobs for firms, right?
对不?我们雇佣一个公司来专门设计这些
You know, we hire firms to design these things.
我们可以追踪工程进度:凌晨三点 设计讨论会上
You can see exactly what went on, three o’clock in the morning at the design meeting.
还有八个小时就要交工
You know, eight hours before deadline,
四位建筑师努力地在赶工期
four architects trying to get this building in on time, right?
坐在那儿 大长会议桌边上
And they’re sitting there at the long boardroom table
到处都是草图和效果图
with all the drawings, and the renderings,
中餐外卖盒堆在桌上——
and all the Chinese food caskets are lying on the table, and —
我很好奇 那儿在进行着什么样的对话呢?
I mean, what was the conversation that was going on there? (Laughter)
(笑)因为你知道最后一个词儿是什么
Because you know what the last word was, what the last sentence was of that meeting.
那个会议的最后一句话是:“去他妈的” (笑+鼓掌♫♫)
It was: “Fuck it.” (Laughter) (Applause)
那就是这个建筑外观传达的讯息
That — that is the message of this form of architecture.
那条讯息是:去他妈的 我们也烦不了那么多了
The message is: We don’t give a fuck! We don’t give a fuck.
我在天气特别不错的一天回去
So I went back on the nicest day of the year, just to —
只是想——你知道的 来点现状核实事实上
you know — do some reality testing,
他根本不会去那儿
and in fact, he will not even go down there because (Laughter)
因为——因为对于他的客户来说那个地方太无趣了
it’s not interesting enough for his clients,
你知道的 小偷啦
you know, the burglars, the muggers.
强盗啦那儿太冷清了
It’s not civically rich enough for them to go down there.
他们没兴趣好的
OK.
美国中心大街的模式实际上
The pattern of Main Street USA —
建造市中心街区的模式是相当全球性的
in fact, this pattern of building downtown blocks, all over the world, is fairly universal.
并不是那么复杂——多层
It’s not that complicated:
、高层建筑建在人行道边上
buildings more than one story high, built out to the sidewalk edge,
所以人们——各种人都可以自由进出
so that people who are, you know, all kinds of people can get into the building.
其它活动可以在楼上进行
Other activities are allowed to occur upstairs,
也就是办公室、
you know, apartments, offices, and so on.
公寓等等在一层为一种叫“购物”的活动提供条件
You make provision for this activity called shopping on the ground floor.
蒙特里没有采用这一模式
They haven’t learned that in Monterey.
如果你走到这个会议中心前的主路口处的那个拐角
If you go out to the corner right at the main intersection right in front of this conference center,
你就会发现路口的每个角上都有四面空白墙
you’ll see an intersection with four blank walls on every corner.
真是神奇总之
It’s really incredible.
这就是如何构造和展示市中心商业楼的方法
Anyway, this is how you compose and assemble a downtown business building,
这也是纽约洲格伦斯福尔斯的做法
and this is what happened when in Glens Falls, New York,
我们想要复制它 因为它很不错
when we tried to do it again, where it was missing, right?
对吗?他们首先把零售店台高了半层 上去还要费神儿好
So the first thing they do is they pop up the retail a half a story above grade to make it sporty.
那完全毁掉了商店和虚拟行人走的
OK. That completely destroys the relationship between the business and the sidewalk,
人行道的关系(笑)当然
where the theoretical pedestrians are. (Laughter)
只要保持这个状况 行人是永远也不会来的
Of course, they’ll never be there, as long as this is in that condition.
行人和商店的关系被毁了
Then because the relationship between the retail is destroyed,
我们就建一条方便残疾人的斜坡
we pop a handicapped ramp on that,
为了让自己感觉好点儿 我们再在前面贴上一条天然创口贴
and then to make ourselves feel better, we put a nature Band-Aid in front of it.
就是那么干的
And that’s how we do it.
我把它们叫做“天然创口贴”因为在美国
I call them “nature Band-Aids” because there’s a general idea in America
普遍看法是补救失败城市的良方是自然事实上
that the remedy for mutilated urbanism is nature.
真正的良方应该是好的城市设计
And in fact, the remedy for wounded and mutilated urbanism is good urbanism, good buildings.
好的建筑而不只是花坛 不只是内华达山脉的卡通画
Not just flower beds, not just cartoons of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
因为那些不够好
You know, that’s not good enough.
我们得建好的建筑
We have to do good buildings.
行道树有四项职能
The street trees have really four jobs to do and that’s it:
仅此而已:空间上划出人行道区域
To spatially denote the pedestrian realm,
保护好行人不受机动车道上车的影响
to protect the pedestrians from the vehicles in the carriageway,
过滤照到人行道上的阳光
to filter the sunlight onto the sidewalk,
以及柔化建筑的人造生硬感
and to soften the hardscape of the buildings
最好的话 形成一片天顶——一条街道上方的拱顶
and to create a ceiling — a vaulted ceiling — over the street, at its best.
就是这样 这是行道树的四项作用
And that’s it. Those are the four jobs of the street trees.
它们不应该是北部森林的漫画;
They’re not supposed to be a cartoon of the North Woods;
也不是《最后的莫希干人》的布景
they’re not supposed to be a set for “The Last of the Mohicans.”
你知道吗 郊区的惨败最大的问题就是它毁掉了我们
You know, one of the problems with the fiasco of suburbia is that it destroyed our understanding
对于乡村和城镇区别的界限 城市和田园的界限
of the distinction between the country and the town, between the urban and the rural.
它们不是同一物
They’re not the same thing.
把乡村拉到城市里并不是解决问题的办法
And we’re not going to cure the problems of the urban by dragging the country into the city,
而我们很多人一直以来都在这么做
which is what a lot of us are trying to do all the time.
这是一个小规模的——母机登陆
Here you see it on a small scale — the mothership has landed,
R2-D2和C-3PO开始测试树皮覆盖物
R2-D2 and C-3PO have stepped out to test the bark mulch
看看能不能在这个星球上定居(笑)
to see if they can inhabit this planet. (Laughter)
这都是因为美国的工业化为我们带来如此大的伤害
A lot of this comes from the fact that the industrial city in America was such a trauma
以至于我们形成了对城市、
that we developed this tremendous aversion for the whole idea of the city,
城市生活、以及相关一切的极大厌恶
city life, and everything connected with it.
所以你可以看到早些时候 在19世纪中期
And so what you see fairly early, in the mid-19th century,
我们就要找到解决工业城市问题的解药
is this idea that we now have to have an antidote to the industrial city,
那就是每个人都生活在乡间
which is going to be life in the country for everybody.
这种想法是以铁路市郊的形式来实现的:
And that starts to be delivered in the form of the railroad suburb:
铁路沿线的乡村别墅
the country villa along the railroad line,
可以让人们享受到城市的便捷设施的同时
which allows people to enjoy the amenity of the city,
能够每晚回到郊外相信我
but to return to the countryside every night.
那时候那儿既没沃尔玛又没有便利店
And believe me, there were no Wal-Marts or convenience stores out there then,
所以这是真正的乡居生活的一种方式
so it really was a form of country living.
但是接下来发生的是 我们都知道 接下来80年里就变异了
But what happens is, of course, it mutates over the next 80 years
变成了相当阴险的状况
and it turns into something rather insidious.
变成了漫画乡间中的漫画乡间别墅
It becomes a cartoon of a country house, in a cartoon of the country.
那就是市郊最主要而又表达不清的困扰
And that’s the great non-articulated agony of suburbia
也是它将自己变成笑柄的原因之一
and one of the reasons that it lends itself to ridicule.
因为它并没有能够给予人们半个世纪以来向往的生活
Because it hasn’t delivered what it’s been promising for half a century now.
这些就是我们能在市郊找到的典型居所
And these are typically the kind of dwellings we find there, you know.
基本上是四周空无一物的房子
Basically, a house with nothing on the side
因为这栋房子想要发出明确声明:”
because this house wants to state, emphatically,
我是林子里的一间小屋 周围什么也没有
“I’m a little cabin in the woods. There’s nothing on either side of me.
我头上没长眼 我什么也看不见 ”
I don’t have any eyes on the side of my head. I can’t see.”
所以你还剩下房子的最后一面前面
So you have this one last facade of the house,
其实是漫画般的房子的正面
the front, which is really a cartoon of a facade of a house.
因为——注意看这儿的门廊
Because — notice the porch here.
除非是莫西干人住在那儿 不然没人会用它
Unless the people that live here are Munchkins, nobody’s going to be using that.
这真是像一台电视全天候播放一个叫做“我们很正常”的节目
This is really, in fact, a television broadcasting a show 24/7 called “We’re Normal.”
我们很正常 我们很正常 我们很正常 我们很正常
We’re normal, we’re normal, we’re normal, we’re normal, we’re normal.
我们很正常请尊敬我们 我们很正常 我们很正常
Please respect us, we’re normal, we’re normal, we’re normal.
我们很正常但是我们知道这些房子里在上演着什么
But we know what’s going on in these houses, you know.
我们知道小斯基皮正在这儿卸他的乌兹枪
We know that little Skippy is loading his Uzi down here,
为当天的第一节课做好准备(笑)
getting ready for homeroom. (Laughter)
我们知道西瑟 他的姐姐西瑟
We know that Heather, his sister Heather, 14 years old,
14岁在这儿卖身以维持自己的毒品供应
is turning tricks up here to support her drug habit.
因为这些地方
Because these places, these habitats,
这些居所会给孩子带来极大的焦虑和忧郁
are inducing immense amounts of anxiety and depression in children,
他们并不熟悉应对的方法
and they don’t have a lot of experience with medication.
所以他们通常来什么用什么
So they take the first one that comes along, often.
这些对美国人来说不够好
These are not good enough for Americans.
我们把孩子送进这样的学校:
These are the schools we are sending them to:
内华达州拉斯维加斯的汉尼拔莱克特中心学校
The Hannibal Lecter Central School, Las Vegas, Nevada.
这可是一所真的学校!
This is a real school!
但是肯定有人会想如果你放这里边的犯人出来
You know, but there’s obviously a notion that if you let the inmates of this thing out,
他们就会把一个过路司机拽下车 吃了他的肝脏
that they would snatch a motorist off the street and eat his liver.
所以只能尽力把它们关在楼里看
So every effort is made to keep them within the building.
大自然还眷顾这儿呢!
Notice that nature is present. (Laughter)
(笑)不论我们怎么想 都必须改掉这样的举动
We’re going to have to change this behavior whether we like it or not.
我们正在迈入世界划时代的变革时期 而且——在美国毫无疑问
We are entering an epochal period of change in the world, and — certainly in America
——这个时期的特征将是低价石油时代的终结
— the period that will be characterized by the end of the cheap oil era.
一切都将变化
It is going to change absolutely everything.
克里斯让我在这点上不要说太多
Chris asked me not to go on too long about this, and I won’t,
我就不多说我只想说未来不会是个氢能源经济——
except to say there’s not going to be a hydrogen economy.
把它忘了吧 不会有的——
Forget it. It’s not going to happen.
我们必须向别的方向努力
We’re going to have to do something else instead.
我们必须缩小规模、重新规划、
We’re going to have to down-scale, re-scale, and re-size
重新调整这个国家的一切 而且我们快来不及了
virtually everything we do in this country and we can’t start soon enough to do it.
我们必须——(鼓掌)——我们必须住到离工作更近的地方
We’re going to have — (Applause) — we’re going to have to live closer to where we work.
我们必须住得离彼此更近
We’re going to have to live closer to each other.
我们必须在离住处更近的地方种粮食
We’re going have to grow more food closer to where we live.
三千里外的凯撒沙拉时代即将终结
The age of the 3,000 mile Caesar salad is coming to an end.
我们必须——保加利亚人都会为我们的铁路系统感到羞耻!
We’re going to have to — we have a railroad system that the Bulgarians would be ashamed of!
我们必须干得更好!
We gotta do better than that!
而且大前天我们就应该开始干
And we should have started two days before yesterday.
我们应该庆幸新城市规划家们十年前就开始
We are fortunate that the new urbanists were there, for the last 10 years,
挖掘被我们的父辈在二战后
excavating all that information that was thrown in the garbage
扔进垃圾堆的信息
by our parents’ generation after World War II.
因为如果我们想要学习如何重新建造城镇就会需要它们
Because we’re going to need it if we’re going to learn how to reconstruct towns.
我们将要回到方法论 以原则和技能为主题的时代
We’re going to need to get back this body of methodology and principle and skill
来重新学习如何构建有意义的空间——整体的空间
in order to re-learn how to compose meaningful places, places that are integral,
那将是一个活跃的机体 是一个包含了市民生活、
that allow — that are living organisms in the sense that they contain all the organs of our civic life
社区生活所有功能的空间 一切都按整体布局那样
and our communal life, deployed in an integral fashion.
居住才有了意义在商业
So that, you know, the residences make sense
、文化、以及政府所在的空间展开
deployed in relation to the places of business, of culture and of governance.
我们必须重新学习建造这样的地方的基本组成部分街道
We’re going to have to re-learn what the building blocks of these things are:
街区 如何营造大大小小的公共空间天井
the street, the block, how to compose public space that’s both large and small,
市民广场
the courtyard, the civic square
而又如何利用这些资源
and how to really make use of this property.
我们可以看看这些点子
We can see some of the first ideas
来改造美国糟糕的建筑
for retro-fitting some of the catastrophic property that we have in America.
死去的购物中心 我们将如何利用它们呢?
The dead malls: what are we going to do with them?
事实上 他们中的大多数撑不到以后
Well, in point of fact, most of them are not going to make it.
它们不会被重新改造
They’re not going to be retro-fitted;
它们将要成为未来的回收厂
they’re going to be the salvage yards of the future.
然而有些我们要改造
Some of them we’re going to fix, though.
我们要将街道、街区系统重新植入它们来完成改造
And we’re going to fix them by imposing back on them street and block systems
还原以建筑块为单位的正常发展建设
and returning to the building lot as the normal increment of development.
如果我们幸运的话 结果将是已有的城镇中
And if we’re lucky, the result will be revivified town centers and neighborhood centers
复活的城镇中心和居民区中心
in our existing towns and cities.
顺便说一点 我们的城镇之所以在它们所在的地方成长
And by the way, our towns and cities are where they are, and grew where they were
是因为那儿有所有的重要地点
because they occupy all the important sites.
而且它们大多都会留在那儿
And most of them are still going to be there,
尽管它们的规模可能会缩小
although the scale of them is probably going to be diminished.
有很多工作在等着我们去做
We’ve got a lot of work to do.
我们既不会被氢动力汽车拯救 也不会被替代燃料拯救
We’re not going to be rescued by the hyper-car; we’re not going to be rescued by alternative fuels.
没有任何一种或几种替代燃料
No amount or combination of alternative fuels
能够将我们的生活花费以现在的水平维持下去
is going to allow us to continue running what we’re running, the way we’re running it.
我们必须彻底改变
We’re going to have to do everything very differently.
而美国还没准备好
And America’s not prepared.
我们正在梦游着走向未来
We are sleepwalking into the future.
我们对即将面临的挑战还没准备好
We’re not ready for what’s coming at us.
所以我强烈要求你们大家尽己所能
So I urge you all to do what you can.
21世纪中期的生活将是本地生活
Life in the mid-21st century is going to be about living locally.
准备好做好邻居
Be prepared to be good neighbors.
准备好找到让你能对你的邻居和其他市民
Be prepared to find vocations that make you useful
有所裨益的才能
to your neighbors and to your fellow citizens.
最有一点——我一直被这点困扰多年
One final thing — I’ve been very disturbed about this for years,
但我觉得这对这儿的观众尤其重要请你们
but I think it’s particularly important for this audience.
请你们 停止称自己为“消费者”
Please, please, stop referring to yourselves as “consumers.” OK?
行吗?消费者与市民不同
Consumers are different than citizens.
消费者对于其他人类个体
Consumers do not have obligations, responsibilities and duties
没有职责、
to their fellow human beings.
责任和义务只要你继续在公共对话中用“消费者”这个词
And as long as you’re using that word consumer in the public discussion,
你就给我们的对话质量降了一个档次
you will be degrading the quality of the discussion we’re having.
我们就会继续像没头的苍蝇
And we’re going to continue being clueless
跌跌撞撞进入我们面对的艰难未来
going into this very difficult future that we face.
非常感谢
So thank you very much.
请在外面的世界做你力所能及的事情 将这里变得值得爱护
Please go out and do what you can to make this a land full of places that are worth caring about
让这个国家值得捍卫 (掌声♫♪)
and a nation that will be worth defending. (Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述
听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

收集自网络

审核员

自动通过审核

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ

相关推荐