未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

投资非洲的解决方案

Jacqueline Novogratz: Investing in Africa's own solutions

我想以塞思.戈丁的方式开始演讲 那就是讲个故事
I want to start with a story, a la Seth Godin,
当我还是12岁的时候我叔叔
from when I was 12 years old.
Ed 给了一件非常漂亮的蓝色羊毛衫
My uncle Ed gave me a beautiful blue sweater —
至少我认为很漂亮
at least I thought it was beautiful.
一群绒毛斑马横穿肚子部分
And it had fuzzy zebras walking across the stomach,
乞力马扎罗山和梅鲁山差不多
and Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru were kind of
横跨胸前部分 当然也是绒毛的
right across the chest, that were also fuzzy.
我一有机会就穿上它
And I wore it whenever I could,
总是觉得那是我拥有过的最好的东西
thinking it was the most fabulous thing I owned.
直到有一天9年级的时候
Until one day in ninth grade,
当我和一群橄榄球队员站在一起的时候
when I was standing with a number of the football players.
我的体形已经明显变化了 Matt Mussolian
And my body had clearly changed, and Matt,
他是我在中学时候毫无疑问的克星
who was undeniably my nemesis in high school,
放高声说道
said in a booming voice that
我们再不用去很远的地方去滑雪了
we no longer had to go far away to go on ski trips,
但是我们可以去诺沃格拉茨山去滑雪了
but we could all ski on Mount Novogratz.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
我当时觉得很屈辱和羞愧
And I was so humiliated and mortified
我立即跑回家 到母亲面前来埋怨
that I immediately ran home to my mother and chastised her
埋怨她让我一直穿着这件丑陋恶心的羊毛衫
for ever letting me wear the hideous sweater.
我们开车到Goodwill(旧货廉价店)把那件羊毛衫扔掉了
We drove to the Goodwill and we threw the sweater away
多少很隆重的样子
somewhat ceremoniously,
我的想法就是 再也不用想这件羊毛衫了
my idea being that I would never have to think about the sweater
再也不用看到它了
nor see it ever again.
时间飞逝 11年过去了 我已经是25岁的大小孩了
Fast forward — 11 years later, I’m a 25-year-old kid.
我在基加利 卢旺达 在陡坡上慢跑
I’m working in Kigali, Rwanda, jogging through the steep slopes,
结果我看到 大约10英尺前面 一个小男孩 –
when I see, 10 feet in front of me, a little boy — 11 years old —
11岁左右向我的方向跑来 穿着我的羊毛衫
running toward me, wearing my sweater.
我当时想 不
And I’m thinking, no, this is not possible.
这不可能但是 处于好奇 我向着这个小男孩跑过去当然了
But so, curious, I run up to the child — of course
把他的魂都吓出来了
scaring the living bejesus out of him —
抓住他的衣领 把它翻过来 我的名字就在上面
grab him by the collar, turn it over, and there is my name
就写在羊毛衫衣领上面
written on the collar of this sweater.
我说这个故事 是因为它一直都是一个很好的隐喻
I tell that story, because it has served and continues to serve
来暗示这个世界的层层相关作用
as a metaphor to me about the level of connectedness
我们都生活在地球上
that we all have on this Earth.
层层相关我们经常太不注意我们的各种做为和不做为
We so often don’t realize what our action and our inaction
对我们永远都不会见到和知道的人产生什么影响
does to people we think we will never see and never know.
我说这个故事 还因为它告诉我们一个更大的背景故事
I also tell it because it tells a larger contextual story
一个讲述援助是什么以及它能做的故事
of what aid is and can be.
也就是这件羊毛衫千里迢迢旅行到了那里 从佛吉尼亚的Goodwill廉价店里
That this traveled into the Goodwill in Virginia,
并且到了这个更大的行业中
and moved its way into the larger industry,
这个给非洲和亚洲百万吨的二手衣服的行业
which at that point was giving millions of tons of secondhand clothing to Africa and Asia.
这也是非常好的事情 提供了成本低廉的衣物同时
Which was a very good thing, providing low cost clothing.
在卢旺达
And at the same time, certainly in Rwanda,
这行业也摧毁了当地的零售业
it destroyed the local retailing industry.
不是说它本不应该
Not to say that it shouldn’t have,
而是说我们怎样更好的回答这些问题
but that we have to get better at answering the questions
而是我们应该怎样考虑事情的后果
that need to be considered when we think about consequences
以及反响
and responses.
所以我就继续讲讲卢旺达 大概1985、
So, I’m going to stick in Rwanda, circa 1985, 1986,
86的时候当时我在哪里做两件事
where I was doing two things.
我和20个未婚妈妈开了个面包店
I had started a bakery with 20 unwed mothers.
我们被称为:坏消息狗熊 并且我们的主张是
We were called the “Bad News Bears,” and our notion was
我们要在基加利垄断零食生意
we were going to corner the snack food business in Kigali,
那也不是一件难事 因为之前压根就没有过零食这一说
which was not hard because there were no snacks before us.
因为商业模式还不错
And because we had a good business model, we actually did it,
我们成功了我看着这些妇女在微观层面上的转变
and I watched these women transform on a micro-level.
同时我也开始了微观融资银行明天
But at the same time, I started a micro-finance bank,
Iqbal Quadir 先生将要讨论到格兰米先生
and tomorrow Iqbal Quadir is going to talk about Grameen,
他是微观融资银行鼻祖
which is the grandfather of all micro-finance banks,
现在已经是一种世界性的活动 – 算得上是一种爆红了
which now is a worldwide movement — you talk about a meme —
-但是那时候这个理念还是很新奇的 尤其是在哪些
but then it was quite new, especially in an economy
刚刚从交换体制转到贸易体制的经济体
that was moving from barter into trade.
我们作对了很多的事情
We got a lot of things right.
我们关注商业模式 我们坚持参与到投资中来
We focused on a business model; we insisted on skin in the game.
妇女们做最后的决定
The women made their own decisions at the end of the day
比方说她们如何用生意去敲开信贷的门
as to how they would use this access to credit
开始慢慢积累小生意 挣更多的收入
to build their little businesses, earn more income
这样更好地照顾自己的家庭
so they could take care of their families better.
我们没有理解的是正在发生在我们周围的事情
What we didn’t understand, what was happening all around us,
恐惧种族和冲突交杂在一起
with the confluence of fear, ethnic strife
当时那种所谓的援助游戏
and certainly an aid game, if you will, that was playing into
参与到这项在卢旺达看不到却感受得到的运动在那时
this invisible but certainly palpable movement inside Rwanda,
30%的预算来自于国外援助
that at that time, 30 percent of the budget was all foreign aid.
1994年发生了种族灭绝
The genocide happened in 1994,
就在这些妇女为了编制梦想
seven years after these women all worked together
一起工作了七年之后
to build this dream.
可喜的是这个制度
And the good news was that the institution,
银行机制留存了下来实际上
the banking institution, lasted.
它也成为卢旺达的最大的复兴银行
In fact, it became the largest rehabilitation lender in the country.
面包行被彻底的摧毁了
The bakery was completely wiped out,
对于我来说 经验教训就是:负责心最重要
but the lessons for me were that accountability counts —
干事业要以人为本
got to build things with people on the ground,
就如Steven Levitt所说
using business models where, as Steven Levitt would say,
商业模式中应有激励制度才行要知道
the incentives matter.
不管事情多么复杂 激励机制总会有效的
Understand, however complex we may be, incentives matter.
当Chris向我提起每件事有多有效
So when Chris raised to me how wonderful everything
每件正在发生的事
that was happening in the world,
多么美好我们看到时代精神的转变一方面
that we were seeing a shift in zeitgeist,
我完全赞同他的观点
on the one hand I absolutely agree with him,
我也非常兴奋的看到八国会议讨论的事情
and I was so thrilled to see what happened with the G8 —
这个世界因为有像首相布莱尔和博诺(爱尔兰歌手)
that the world, because of people like Tony Blair and Bono
还有鲍伯盖朵夫(爱尔兰歌手) – 世界才会谈论全球贫穷
and Bob Geldof — the world is talking about global poverty;
世界才会谈论非洲
the world is talking about Africa
用这种我一生中前所未有的方式谈论
in ways I have never seen in my life.
真是令人激奋
It’s thrilling.
另一方面 让我夜夜难以入眠的是
And at the same time, what keeps me up at night
对看待八国会议成功所产生的一种恐惧
is a fear that we’ll look at the victories of the G8 —
对非洲的援助增加了500亿元
50 billion dollars in increased aid to Africa,
400亿元减少的外债-作为一种胜利
40 billion in reduced debt — as the victory,
作为前进的第一步 作为我们自己的道德赦罪实际
as more than chapter one, as our moral absolution.
我们需要做的是 迈出第一步后
And in fact, what we need to do is see that as chapter one,
庆祝一下 结束它 认识到我们还需要迈出第二步
celebrate it, close it, and recognize that we need a chapter two
这就是付出实际行动 一切在于如何去做
that is all about execution, all about the how-to.
如果你只记得我今天演讲的一个内容的话
And if you remember one thing from what I want to talk about today,
我希望你记住唯一结束贫穷 让它成为历史的方法
it’s that the only way to end poverty, to make it history,
是从根本上建立一个真正可行的机制
is to build viable systems on the ground
这种机制能够给贫穷的人供应关键的 能买得起的物品和服务
that deliver critical and affordable goods and services to the poor,
以一种经济上可持续的和可发展的方式
in ways that are financially sustainable and scaleable.
我们如果那么做 我们真的可以让贫穷成为历史
If we do that, we really can make poverty history.
就是这样 就是这么一个整体的哲学理念
And it was that — that whole philosophy —
它激励着我开始了当前的奋斗
that encouraged me to start my current endeavor
叫做敏锐基金
called “Acumen Fund,”
它会帮助你建立一些微观蓝图
which is trying to build some mini-blueprints
它可以帮助我们在用水 医疗和住房行业
for how we might do that in water, health and housing
在巴基斯坦 印度 肯尼亚 坦桑尼亚和埃及
in Pakistan, India, Kenya, Tanzania and Egypt.
我也想稍微谈一下它
And I want to talk a little bit about that, and some of the examples,
举几个例子这样你就知道我们正在做的到底是什么
so you can see what it is that we’re doing.
不过在那之前 我要说说另外一个我经常抱怨的事情
But before I do this — and this is another one of my pet peeves —
我想说说这些穷人到底是谁
I want to talk a little bit about who the poor are.
因为我们常常把他们当做是
Because we too often talk about them as these
一个巨大的渴求被释放的群体
strong, huge masses of people yearning to be free,
但实际上 他们的故事却是要不平凡得许多
when in fact, it’s quite an amazing story.
宏观上说 地球上40亿人口每天挣不到4美元
On a macro level, four billion people on Earth make less than four dollars a day.
他们是我们讨论中所谓的穷人
That’s who we talk about when we think about “the poor.”
如果你加起来算算 那是地球上第三大经济实体
If you aggregate it, it’s the third largest economy on Earth,
但是他们的绝大多数都成了对于我们来说看不见的人
and yet most of these people go invisible.
我们通常工作的地方 有这么一群人
Where we typically work, there’s people making between
他们每天只赚一到三美元
one and three dollars a day.
他们是谁呢?
Who are these people?
他们是农民和工厂工人
They are farmers and factory workers.
他们为政府工作
They work in government offices. They’re drivers.
他们是司机他们是家政服务者
They are domestics.
他们通常为生活必需品和基本服务而挣钱
They typically pay for critical goods and services like water,
比如水比如医疗 住房 他们为了这些基本必需品
like healthcare, like housing, and they pay 30 to 40 times
要比中产阶级要多付30-40倍…
what their middleclass counterparts pay —
至少是在卡拉奇和内罗毕这样的地方
certainly where we work in Karachi and Nairobi.
这些穷人愿意做聪明的决定 也做出过聪明的决定
The poor also are willing to make, and do make, smart decisions,
如果你给他们机会的话所以
if you give them that opportunity.
两个例子
So, two examples.
一个印度 有着2.4亿农民的地方
One is in India, where there are 240 million farmers,
他们绝大多数每天挣不到2美元
most of whom make less than two dollars a day.
我们工作的地方奥兰加巴德 土地是非常干枯的要知道
Where we work in Aurangabad, the land is extraordinarily parched.
这些人平均挣60美分到1美元
You see people on average making 60 cents to a dollar.
这个穿红衣服的是个社会创业者 名叫Ami Tabar.
This guy in pink is a social entrepreneur named Ami Tabar.
他所做的就是看以色列的做过的事情 用更大的一个方法
What he did was see what was happening in Israel, larger approaches,
然后想想如何点滴灌溉
and figure out how to do a drip irrigation,
这种方式把水直接带到农作物的根茎
which is a way of bringing water directly to the plant stock.
但是在以前 只有大的农场使用这项技术
But previously it’s only been created for large-scale farms,
所以Ami Tabar 把它改作成模块化 小到1/8英亩
so Ami Tabar took this and modularized it down to an eighth of an acre.
一些原则
A couple of principles:
造小的
build small.
让它可以无限拓展 并且让穷人也可以承担得起
Make it infinitely expandable and affordable to the poor.
有一个家庭 Sarita 和她的丈夫 买了一个15美元的单元
This family, Sarita and her husband, bought a 15-dollar unit
当他们住在一起 其实就是三个墙板互相依靠在一起
when they were living in a — literally a three-walled lean-to
用一个皱巴巴的铁板作顶棚
with a corrugated iron roof.
秋收过后 他们有了足够的收入
After one harvest, they had increased their income enough
可以买另外一个系统 以支持1/4英亩地几年后
to buy a second system to do their full quarter-acre.
我碰到他们
A couple of years later, I meet them.
他们每天可以挣四美元 差不多是印度的中产阶级了
They now make four dollars a day, which is pretty much middle class for India,
他们向我展示以前他们所打下的水泥地基
and they showed me the concrete foundation they had just laid
用来建造他们的房子我发誓
to build their house.
你可以从妇女的眼中看到未来
And I swear, you could see the future in that woman’s eyes.
也就是我真正坚信的当今
Something I truly believe.
你不可能谈论贫穷而不说疟疾蚊帐对此
You can’t talk about poverty today without talking about malaria bed nets,
我要再次将荣誉献给
and I again give Jeffrey Sachs of Harvard
哈佛的Jeffrey Sachs 是他带给世界
huge kudos for bringing to the world
他的大胆意念 – 只需5美元 你就可以拯救一条生命
this notion of his rage — for five dollars you can save a life.
疟疾是一种疾病 它可以一年杀死1-3百万人3
Malaria is a disease that kills one to three million people a year.
– 5亿病例被报道
300 to 500 million cases are reported.
估计在非洲
It’s estimated that Africa loses
疾病对经济的损失达到130亿美金
about 13 billion dollars a year to the disease.
5美元可以拯救一条生命
Five dollars can save a life.
我们能够把人送上月球 我们能看火星是否有生命
We can send people to the moon; we can see if there’s life on Mars —
为何我们就不能够给5亿人口发放5美元的蚊帐呢
why can’t we get five-dollar nets to 500 million people?
但问题的关键 不是为什么我们不能
The question, though, is not “Why can’t we?”
而是我们如何让非洲人自己动手自给自足?
The question is how can we help Africans do this for themselves?
有很多的障碍一:
A lot of hurdles.
生产太少 二:
One: production is too low. Two: price is too high.
价格太高三:这里看到的已经算是一条很好的道路 就在我们工厂旁边
Three: this is a good road in — right near where our factory is located.
想要分发是一个噩梦 但不是不可能
Distribution is a nightmare, but not impossible.
我们刚开始的时候 把一个35万的贷款
We started by making a 350,000-dollar loan
放给了一个传统生产蚊帐的非洲厂商
to the largest traditional bed net manufacturer in Africa
这样他们能够从日本传授技术过去
so that they could transfer technology from Japan
生产持久的 可以使用五年的蚊帐
and build these long-lasting, five-year nets.
这有一些工厂的照片今天
Here are just some pictures of the factory.
三年后 这个工厂又额外雇佣了
Today, three years later, the company has employed
上千个女工
another thousand women.
这个厂发放60万块作为工资 给坦桑尼亚的经济做出了贡献
It contributes about 600,000 dollars in wages to the economy of Tanzania.
它也是坦桑尼亚最大的工厂
It’s the largest company in Tanzania.
工厂的年产量是一百五十万个蚊帐
The throughput rate right now is 1.5 million nets,
年后他们会提高到3百万个蚊帐
three million by the end of the year.
我们希望明年底产量能达到7百万
We hope to have seven million at the end of next year.
这样一来 工厂这一方就起作用了
So the production side is working.
分发这一方面
On the distribution side, though,
整个世界都有很多的工作要做现在
as a world, we have a lot of work to do.
95%的蚊帐都是由联合国买下来
Right now, 95 percent of these nets are being bought by the U.N.,
然后送给非洲各地的人
and then given primarily to people around Africa.
我们希望建立起来的是
We’re looking at building
非洲最珍贵的资源-人力资源
on some of the most precious resources of Africa: people.
他们的妇女
Their women.
我想让你们认识一下Jacqueline
And so I want you to meet Jacqueline,
和我同名
my namesake, 21 years old.
21岁了如果她出生世界上任何一个地方 只要不是坦桑尼亚
If she were born anywhere else but Tanzania,
我可以说 她绝对可以在华尔街运作自如
I’m telling you, she could run Wall Street.
她已经运作着两条线 她已经有足够的钱
She runs two of the lines, and has already saved enough money
作为房子的首期款
to put a down payment on her house.
她已经挣了2美元一天 而且建立教育基金
She makes about two dollars a day, is creating an education fund,
她告诉我她不会先结婚 也不会有孩子
and told me she is not marrying nor having children
如果她不把这些事情给做完
until these things are completed.
当我告诉她我们的想法──
And so, when I told her about our idea —
或许我们学习美国的特百惠模式
that maybe we could take a Tupperware model from the United States,
想一种方式让妇女自己走出去
and find a way for the women themselves to go out
把这些蚊帐给卖出去──
and sell these nets to others —
她很快的算了算自己能够挣多少
she quickly started calculating what she herself could make
然后就签上了自己的名字
and signed up.
我们从IDEO 我们最喜欢的公司之一 吸取到了经验
We took a lesson from IDEO, one of our favorite companies,
快速地对这个做了一个原始经济模型
and quickly did a prototyping on this,
把Jacqueline领到了她居住的地方
and took Jacqueline into the area where she lives.
她带上她平时有交情的10个妇女
She brought 10 of the women with whom she interacts
一起看她能否把这些蚊帐卖出去
together to see if she could sell these nets, five dollars apiece,
5美元一件尽管人们都说没有人会买这么贵的蚊帐
despite the fact that people say nobody will buy one,
但我们学到了如何卖东西的技巧
and we learned a lot about how you sell things.
不要一上来就推销自己的想法
Not coming in with our own notions,
因为她把疟疾放到了最后来讲
because she didn’t even talk about malaria until the very end.
首先她谈到舒适 地位
First, she talked about comfort, status, beauty.
美观这些蚊帐 她说 你把他们放在地板上 虫子会离开你的家
These nets, she said, you put them on the floor, bugs leave your house.
小孩可以安稳地睡觉
Children can sleep through the night;
把她们挂在窗前 房子会看的很漂亮
the house looks beautiful; you hang them in the window.
接着我们又开始做窗帘
And we’ve started making curtains,
不仅是它漂亮美观 而且人们看到身份的象征
and not only is it beautiful, but people can see status —
一种你会照顾自己小孩的象征
that you care about your children.
然后她说到可以挽救小孩的性命
Only then did she talk about saving your children’s lives.
关于如何销售 许多的经验教训要学习的
A lot of lessons to be learned in terms of how we sell
向穷人卖商品和服务
goods and services to the poor.
我最后想说的是 我们有无限的机会
I want to end just by saying that there’s enormous opportunity
让贫穷成为历史
to make poverty history.
为了把它做好 我们必须建造有用的商业模式
To do it right, we have to build business models that matter,
让它们能够衍生 让这些模式能够在非洲人 印度人中运作
that are scaleable and that work with Africans, Indians,
在所有发展中国家运作
people all over the developing world
那些可以归为这一类的人 让他们自己去做
who fit in this category, to do it themselves.
因为到了最后 最关键的一切就是参与
Because at the end of the day, it’s about engagement.
要知道人们要的不是施舍
It’s about understanding that people really don’t want handouts,
他们要自己做决定
that they want to make their own decisions;
他们想自己解决问题
they want to solve their own problems;
通过他们的参与
and that by engaging with them,
我们不仅为他们创造的尊严
not only do we create much more dignity for them,
为我们自己也是
but for us as well.
我鼓励大家思考
And so I urge all of you to think next time
下一次如何参与这个我们共同拥有的理念和机会
as to how to engage with this notion and this opportunity
让贫穷成为历史
that we all have — to make poverty history —
通过让自己成为这个过程的一部分
by really becoming part of the process
让“我们”“他们”的观点远离我们
and moving away from an us-and-them world,
意识到这些都是我们自己的一部分
and realizing that it’s about all of us,
这个世界 我们 一起
and the kind of world that we, together, want to live in and share.
生活和分享谢谢
Thank you.
掌声
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述
听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

收集自网络

审核员

自动通过审核

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k_XH-ajLo0

相关推荐