未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

这是女性掌权时代

It's time for women to run for office | Halla Tómasdóttir

[启点字幕组]
Light up the world
我觉得自己非常幸运
I feel incredibly lucky
来自一个
to be from a country
被认为 对女性来说
that’s generally considered to be the best place in the world
是世界上最好的国家
to be a woman.
1975年 那年我7岁
In 1975, when I was seven years old,
冰岛的女性都参与了一场罢工
women in Iceland went on a strike.
那个年月 她们没有工作
They did no work that day,
无论她们曾经是从事专业工作的
whether they held professional jobs
还是在家做家务的
or had the work of the home.
游行的队伍一度行进到了雷克雅维克市中心
They marched into the center of Reykjavík —
百分之九十的女性都参加了
90 percent of women participated —
这是一场非暴力但却团结一心
and peacefully and in solidarity
寻求平等的游行运动
asked for equality.
那天的冰岛全国瘫痪
Nothing worked in Iceland that day,
因为女性不工作的话 就会全国瘫痪
because nothing works when women are not at work.
五年后 冰岛人民鼓起勇气
Five years later, Icelanders had the courage
成为世界上第一个
to be the first country in the world
民主地选举一位女性作为他们总统的国家
to democratically elect a woman as their president.
我永远不会忘记那一天
I will never forget this day,
维格迪斯总统 我们因她的名字而记住她
that President Vigdís, as we know her by her first name,
那一天 她走出自家阳台
stepped out on the balcony of her own home,
作为独自抚养女儿的单身妈妈 她赢了
a single mom with her daughter by her side as she had won.
这位女性是
This woman was an incredible role model
我们那代人心目中的卓越的偶像
for me and everyone growing up at that time,
(当然也)包括男孩子
including boys.
在几届任期后 她常和我们分享这个故事
She frequently shares the story of how a young boy approached her
一个男孩跑来问她
after a couple of terms in office
“男孩子长大后也能当总统吗”
and asked, “Can boys really grow up to be president?”
榜样的力量是无穷的
Role models really matter,
但即便有这样一位我很感激的
but even with such strong role models
强大的榜样在这儿
who I am so grateful for,
当鼓足勇气去参加总统竞选时
when I was encouraged to run for president,
我的第一反应仍是 我凭什么来竞选总统呢
my first reaction was, “Who am I to run for president?
我凭什么当总统呢
Who am I to be president?”
这证明女性
It turns out that women
不如男性适合参选
are less likely to consider running than men.
2011年 美国的一项研究
So a study done in the US in 2011
显示62%的男性胜任办公室工作
showed that 62 percent of men had considered running for office,
但对于女性 这一比例只有45%
but 45 percent of women.
两者相差16个百分点
That’s gap of 16 percentage points,
而且十年前也是同样的一个差距
and it’s the same gap that existed a decade earlier.
确实挺令人汗颜的
And it really is a shame,
一直以来 我都坚信这个世界需要女性领导人
because I am so convinced that the world is in real need for women leaders
需要更多样的领导方式
and more principle-based leadership
总的来说是这样
in general.
所以我参与竞选的决心
So my decision to run
最终成为了现实
ultimately came down to the fact
我觉得
that I felt
自己必须尽一份绵薄之力
that I had to do my bit,
即使我没有从政的经历
even if I had no political experience,
也要积极向上 为世界的发展做点事情
to step up and try to be part of creating the world
对我们的孩子来说
that will make sense and be sustainable
这将是有意义且可持续的
for our kids,
真心希望我们的男孩和女孩们能在这个世界上
and a world where we truly allow both our boys and girls
自由的成长
to be all they can be.
而且这也是我的生命之旅
And it was the journey of my life.
这该多么美妙啊
It was amazing.
就这样和潜在的20位候选人一起开始了竞选之旅
The journey started with potentially as many as 20 candidates.
经过筛选 还有九个候选人留下了
It boiled down to nine candidates qualifying,
然后最终竞选在我们四个人之间展开了
and ultimately the race came down to four of us,
三位男士再加一个我
three men and me.
但是这还不够戏剧性
But that’s not all the drama yet.
你可能认为要是在美国的话这已经够戏剧性了
You may think you have drama in the US,
但是我
but I can —
但是我向你们保证 我们有自己的戏剧性
I can assure you we had our own drama in Iceland.
我们在任上20年的总统
So our sitting president of 20 years
当初曾宣称不参与竞选
announced initially that he was not going to run,
这就给其他的
which is probably what gave rise
候选人提供了 考虑参选的可能性
to so many candidates considering running.
但是不久之后
Then later he changed his mind
当我们的内阁总理因臭名昭著的巴拿马文件
when our prime minister resigned
波及到他和他的家庭而选择辞职的时候
following the infamous Panama Papers
现总统又决定参选了
that implicated him and his family.
当时冰岛举行了声势浩大的示威游行
And there was a popular protest in Iceland,
所以现任总统觉得大家需要选一个信得过的领导人
so the sitting president thought they needed a trusted leader.
但几天后 他的妻子及其家族企业
A few days later, relations to his wife and her family’s companies
也牵涉到巴拿马文件中
were also discovered in the Panama Papers,
于是 他又退出了竞选的行列
and so he withdrew from the race again.
在退出竞选之前 他说他这么做是因为
Before doing so, he said he was doing that
他觉得有两位适合的男士
because now there were two qualified men
很有可能接替他的职位
who he felt could fill his shoes running for office.
所以 在五月九号 也就是大选前的45天
So on May 9, 45 days before election day,
我感觉情况很不好
it was not looking too good for me.
我甚至没有出现在报纸上
I did not even make the graph in the newspaper.
民意调查显示 我的支持率只有1%
The polls had me at 1 percent,
但这仍然比
but that was still the highest
其他任何参选的女性所获得的支持率要高
that any woman announcing her candidacy had earned.
这是一个保守的数字 所以我不得不更加努力
So it would be an understatement to say that I had to work extremely hard
以寻得一席之地
to get my seat at the table
只能通过电视媒体了
and access to television,
因为网络上面只显示
because the network decided that they would only include
那些在第一次电视辩论中支持率超过2.5%的
those with 2.5 percent or more in the polls
候选人的新闻
in the first TV debate.
在和其他三位先生一起
I found out on the afternoon of the first TV debate
参加电视辩论的当天下午
that I would participate along with the three men,
我就在电视直播中发现
and I found out on live TV
自己第一次参加电视辩论支持率就正好达到了2.5%
that I came in at exactly 2.5 percent on the day of the first TV debate.
所以 挑战吧
So, challenges.
在竞选这条路上我不得不直面并努力克服的
The foremost challenges I had to face and overcome on this journey
最大挑战是媒体 精力和金钱
had to do with media, muscle and money.
好吧 让我们从媒体开始
Let’s start with media.
很多人觉得面对政治或是媒体时
There are those who say gender doesn’t matter
性别什么的无关紧要
when it comes to media and politics.
这话我不敢苟同
I can’t say that I agree.
接受媒体采访并顺利完成对我来说更难一点
It proved harder for me to both get access and airtime in media.
事实上 领先的那名候选人这个月出现在广播媒体
As a matter of fact, the leading candidate appeared in broadcast media
上的次数达到87次之多
87 times in the months leading up to the elections,
而我则只出现过31次
whereas I appeared 31 times.
当然我并不是说媒体这么做是有意为之
And I am not saying media is doing this consciously.
我想这多半是出于无意识的偏见
I think largely this has to do with unconscious bias,
因为媒体也和其他领域一样
because in media, much like everywhere else,
我们都有意或无意的存在偏见
we have both conscious and unconscious bias,
如果我们想要改变这一点 首先我们就要有勇气去讨论它
and we need to have the courage to talk about it if we want to change it.
当我终于受到电视采访时
When I finally got access to TV,
我被问及的第一个问题是“你打算退出吗”
the first question I got was, “Are you going to quit?”
那个问题确实有点伤脑筋
And that was a hard one.
但是当然了 支持率仅从1%上升到2.5%
But of course, with 1 percent to 2.5 percent in the polls,
这样问也是可以理解的
maybe it’s understandable.
但是媒体确实是很重要 每次我出现在电视上
But media really matters, and every time I appeared on TV,
看到支持率上升
we saw and experienced a rise in the polls,
我就真实的感受到 它究竟价值几何了
so I know firsthand how much this matters
为什么我们必须要谈论它
and why we have to talk about it.
我是四名候选人中唯一一个
I was the only one out of the final four candidates
没有上过报纸头条的
that never got a front page interview.
我有时候会被问及一些关于其他候选人的问题
I was sometimes left out of the questions asked of all other candidates
还有其他一些不相干的问题
and out of coverage about the elections.
我不得不面对这些
So I did face this,
但我还是要称赞我们冰岛媒体
but I will say this to compliment the Icelandic media.
没有太多的评论我的头发或是裤套装
I got few if any comments about my hair and pantsuit.
所以 谢谢他们
So kudos to them.
另外的一些经历也非常有意义
But there is another experience that’s very important.
作为一名无党派候选人
I ran as an independent candidate,
身后没有任何政党或力量的支持
not with any political party or muscle behind me.
缺少经验
That lack of experience
缺少资金来源
and lack of access to resources
这些对我们的竞选之路确实是个考验
probably came at a cost to our campaign,
但这也让我们有所创新 使政治稍微有点异于往常
but it also allowed us to innovate and do politics differently.
我们积极的参与竞选
We ran a positive campaign,
这样做 可能会为改变别人竞选一成不变的基调
and we probably changed the tone of the election for others by doing that.
这可能就是我参与电视活动较少的原因吧
It may be the reason why I had less airtime on TV,
因为我想向其他几位候选人表示敬意
because I wanted to show other contenders respect.
当和媒体打交道被证明是件难事的时候
When access to media proved to be so difficult,
我们决定走自己的路
we ran our own media.
我使用脸书做直播
I ran live Facebook sessions
在这儿 我对选民的任何问题都做出回应
where I took questions from voters on anything and responded on the spot.
我们把被问及的问题及答案全都挂到社交网络上
And we put all the questions I got and all the answers on an open Facebook
我们觉得透明度最重要
because we thought transparency is important
如果想要建立信任关系的话
if you want to establish trust.
事实证明和年轻的选民们交流也是一项挑战
And when reaching young voters proved to be challenging,
于是我就成了一个即时聊天爱好者
I became a Snapchatter.
我让年轻人教我怎么操作
I got young people to teach me how to do that,
在竞选的最后阶段我用到了聊天软件上的每个过滤器
and I used every filter on Snapchat during the last part of the campaign.
尽管不是很在行 我还是尽量做到幽默和谦逊
And I actually had to use a lot of humor and humility, as I was very bad at it.
但我们在年轻人中间这样做之后 接下来的支持率就上升了
But we grew the following amongst young people by doing that.
由此可见 一种不同以往的竞选方式是可行的
So it’s possible to run a different type of campaign.
但不幸的是 提到政治就不能不提到钱
But unfortunately, one cannot talk about politics without mentioning money.
虽难以启齿 但却是事实
I am sad that it is that way, but it’s true,
我们比其他几位候选人的财力支持要少得多
and we had less financial resources than the other candidates.
可能是基于这样一个事实
This probably was partly due to the fact
我们寻求财力支持的过程充满艰辛
that I think I had a harder time asking for financial support.
而且我也有志花更少的钱做更多的事
And maybe I also had the ambition to do more with less.
有些人会认为我这样的做法很小家子气
Some would call that very womanly of me.
但即便只拥有1/3的媒体 1/3的财力支持
But even with one third the media, one third the financial resources,
只有一个企业家团队 但却是充满魅力的团队
and only an entrepreneurial team, but an amazing team,
在竞选之夜 我们仍努力给大家带来惊喜
we managed to surprise everyone on election night,
当第一组照片出现时
when the first numbers came in.
我自己都感到惊讶 正如大家看到的那样
I surprised myself, as you may see in that photo.
在这第一组中
So the first numbers,
我和领头的候选人齐头并进
I came in neck to neck to the leading candidate.
呃 由于太早了 我们没怎么拉动它
Well, too early, because I didn’t quite pull that,
但是仍旧能排第二
but I came in second,
我们从当初1%的支持率走到今天确实经历了很多
and we went a long way from the one percent,
差不多赢得了30%的选票
with nearly a third of the vote,
而且 这次投票的获胜是史无前例的
and we beat the polls by an unprecedented margin,
比上一次提高了10%
or 10 percentage points above what the last poll came in at.
正因如此 很多人称我为真正的赢家
Some people call me the real winner of the election because of this,
而且很多人都鼓励我下次再参选
and there are many people who encouraged me to run again.
但真正让我感到自豪的
But what really makes me proud
是我明白自己赢得了
is to know that I earned
相当多年轻选民的支持
proportionately higher percentage support from the young people,
而且有很多人鼓励我女儿参加2040年的大选
and a lot of people encouraged my daughter to run in 2040.
她现在13岁了
She is 13,
在此之前她从未上过电视
and she had never been on TV before.
在选举日那天 我注意到她几次出现在电视上
And on election day, I observed her on TV repeatedly,
她既聪明又自信
and she was smart, she was self-confident,
既真诚又支持她的妈妈
she was sincere, and she was supportive of her mother.
这可能是我在竞选活动中获得的最大支持了
This was probably the highlight of my campaign.
但还有另一个
But there was another one.
那就是放学路上的小朋友们
These are preschool girls out on a walk,
他们在公交站台看到我的宣传画
and they found a poster of me on a bus stop,
觉得有必要亲它一下
and they saw the need to kiss it.
这张照片确实把我塑造成一个胜者的形象
This picture was really enough of a win for me.
我们看到的就是我们所能做到的
What we see, we can be.
拧碎一切恐惧和挑战吧
So screw fear and challenges.
这就是女性参选的意义
It matters that women run,
而且也到了女性进入办公室工作的时候了
and it’s time for women to run for office,
作为企业的首席执行官或是坐在总统的办公室
be it the office of the CEO or the office of the president.
我也成功给你们的“纽约客”留下了深刻的印象
I also managed to put an impression on your very own “New Yorker.”
我赢得了一个新的头衔 “行走的表情包”
I earned a new title, “A living emoji of sincerity.”
这可能是我得到的最值得骄傲的称号
It is possibly my proudest title yet,
原因就是女性常常
and the reason is that women too often get penalized
因为我称之为”情绪资本”的东西而受到惩罚
for using what I call their emotional capital,
但从我的个人经历来讲 当我们那样做的时候
but I know from experience that we become so good
我们会变得更加优秀
when we do just that.
我们需要更多那样的行为
And we need more of that.
我们庆祝了一番好像我们已经赢得了大选之夜
We celebrated as if we had won on election night,
我们当时正是这样觉得的
because that’s how we felt.
你并非必须要去做一个总统
So you don’t necessarily have to reach that office.
你只是不得不向那个方向去努力
You just have to go for it,
你的家庭 你的朋友 和你一起共事的同事
and you, your family, your friends, everyone working with you,
如果这件事做的漂亮 意义将超越以前所有的经历
if you do it well, you will grow beyond anything you will experience before.
我们曾共度一段美好的时光
So we had a good time,
在这段旅程中我学到很多
and I learned a lot on this journey,
比今天此时此刻
probably more lessons than I can share here
能在这儿分享的要多的多
in the time we have today.
但剩下的可以肯定是困难的
But rest assured, it was hard work.
过去几个月我睡眠很少
I lost a lot of sleep during those months.
要有韧劲和毅力才不至于放弃
It took resilience and perseverance to not quit,
在获得1%的支持率的时候我想明白一些事儿
but I learned something that I knew before on the one percent day,
当你真真切切地遵从自己的内心想法时
and that is that you can only be good
你会变得更优秀
when you are truly, authentically listening to your own voice
工作中也要牢记这一点
and working in alignment with that.
我的一个好姐妹曾经跟我说过
As a good sister of mine sometimes says,
你可以不承认
you may cheat on your intuition,
但你的直觉不会骗你
but your intuition never cheats on you.
我认为这点很重要 大家都知道这一点
I think it’s also very important, and you all know this,
无论走哪条路
that on any journey you go on,
都需要团队协作
it’s the team you take along.
大家围绕着你 认同你的价值观 世界观
It’s having people around you who share your values, your vision,
但每条路都不同
but are different in every other way.
对我来说 这就是成功的公式
That’s the formula for success for me,
我有一个了不起的丈夫
and I am blessed with an amazing husband,
今天他也在这儿
here today,
拥有幸福美满的家庭
an incredible family —
伟大的朋友
and great friends,
我们一路走来像政治舞台上的搭档
and we came together as entrepreneurs in the political arena,
战胜那些别人皆认为不可能的困难
and pulled something off that everyone said would be impossible.
事实上 在我决定参选之前
As a matter of fact, the leading PR expert told me
公共关系专家就告诉我说
before I made my decision
我最多能得到7%的支持率
that I would do well to get seven percent.
我赞赏他的观点 因为他可能是对的
I appreciated his perspective, because he was probably right,
他的这一观点基于可贵的经验
and he was basing it on valuable experience.
但是在获得1%支持率的那天
But on the one percent day,
我决定让他看看他是错的
I decided here to show him that he was wrong.
还有重要的一点不得不提及 由于睡眠不足
It’s very important to mention this, because I did lose a lot of sleep,
以及工作辛苦 其他陪伴我的工作人员也是如此
and I worked hard, and so did the people with me.
如果我们不好好照顾自己的话 就不能实现目标
We can never go the distance if we forget to take care of ourselves.
还有两件事我觉得特别重要
And it’s two things that I think are very important in that,
一直陪伴着你的人也在滋养着你
in surrounding yourself with people and practices that nourish you,
但同样重要 甚至更重要的是
but it’s equally important, maybe even more important,
要有勇气摆脱那些消耗
to have the courage to get rid of people and practices
你精力的人和惯例
that take away your energy,
包括精彩的博客作者和评论家
including the wonderful bloggers and commentators.
正因如此 我才从其他人那里得到很多的支持
I took a lot of support from others in doing this,
当别人退缩的时候我决定继续前行
and I made the decision to go high when others went low,
这就是我能够一直充满激情 努力克服困难的原因
and that’s partly how I kept my energy going throughout all of this.
当某个时刻我突然感到无力时
And when I lost my energy for a moment —
我一次次的努力 这真的没那么容易
and I did from time to time, it wasn’t easy —
回顾过去 想想自己为什么要参选
I went back to why I decided to run,
我是怎么决定要走上竞选之路的
and how I had decided to run my own race.
我把它称作4G运动
I called it a 4G campaign,
G字头代表我们冰岛人用的词汇
the G’s representing the Icelandic words.
第一个是“Gagn”
And the first one is called “Gagn.”
我努力把事情做好
I ran to do good,
关于服务
to be of service,
我想要的是公仆似的领导
and I wanted servant leadership
能够像我和团队的其他人在竞选中做到的那样
to be at the center of how I worked and everybody else in the campaign.
第二个是“Gleði” 或者说是愉快
Second one is “Gleði,” or joy.
我打算乐在其中
I decided to enjoy the journey.
这个旅程中有太多可以分享的
There was a lot to be taken out of the journey,
至于能否达到终点 这都不重要
no matter if the destination was reached or not.
我尽自己的全力鼓励大家一起奋斗
And I tried my utmost to inspire others to do so as well.
第三个是“Gagnsæi”
Third is “Gagnsæi.”
我坦然面对任何问题
I was open to any questions.
不保留任何秘密
I kept no secrets,
脸书和微博上也同样如此
and it was all open, on Facebook and websites.
我想如果你们是在选自己的总统
Because I think if you’re choosing your president,
你有权知道
you deserve answers to your questions.
最后一条 但也是最重要的一条
Last but not least,
我在这里就不多做解释了
I don’t need to explain that in this room,
我们需要女性力量
we ran on the principle of Girlpower.
我很高兴
I am incredibly glad
自己有勇气参与竞选
that I had the courage to run,
在很多层面上
to risk failure but receive success
冒着失败的危险带却收获成功
on so many levels.
我无法告诉你说这很容易
I can’t tell you that it was easy,
我只能说
but I can tell you,
而且我认为我的整个团队都会认同的一点
and I think my entire team will agree with me,
那就是 这样做是值得的
that it was worth it.
谢谢大家
Thank you.
谢谢大家
Thank you.
谢谢
Thank you.
-我还没打算让你下去呢
Pat Mitchell: I’m not letting you go yet.
-真的好多的人啊
Halla Tómasdóttir: What a great crowd.
-在你离开之前我要告诉你一件事情
PM: I can’t let you go without saying
这个屋子里的人都准备去冰岛
that probably everybody in the room is ready to move to Iceland
去给你投票
and vote for you.
但是当然了 在那儿我们可能没有投票权
But of course we probably can’t vote there,
但有一样我们能从冰岛得到
but one thing we can get from Iceland
并不断获取的就是冰岛人的精神
and have always gotten is inspiration.
我的意思是说 我还记得1975年发生的事情
I mean, I’m old enough to remember 1975
所有的冰岛女性都走出家门
when all the Icelandic women walked out,
那确实是推动女权运动的一个重要因素
and that really was a very big factor in launching the women’s movement.
先前你用它做了参考 我想把这幅照片拿走
You made a reference to it earlier. I’d love to bring the picture back up
让大家记得当一个国家停滞不前的时候究竟是什么样子
and just have us remember what it was like when a country came to a standstill.
你可能不知道
And then what you may not know
当时美国的媒体并没有报道这场运动
because our American media did not report it,
这周一冰岛的女性再一次走上街头了 对吗
the Icelandic women walked out again on Monday. Right?
-没错 是这样-能跟我们讲讲吗
HT: Yes, they did. PM: Can you tell us about that?
-距离最初的那次罢工已经过去41年了
HT: Yes, so 41 years after the original strike,
对于女性来讲 现在的冰岛可能是世上最好的地方
we may be the best place in the world to be a woman,
但我们的工作还没有完成
but our work isn’t done.
所以 这周一下午2点38分
So at 2:38pm on Monday,
冰岛女性都放下手头的工作
women in Iceland left work,
因为她们已经挣够了当天的工资
because that’s when they had earned their day’s salary.
更令人兴奋的是
What’s really cool about this
很多青年女性和男同胞们也加入了
is that young women and men participated
这次的规模比过去大多了
in greater numbers than before,
因为是时候消除工资差距了
because it is time that we close the pay gap.
-我现在先不问哈拉
PM: So I’m not going to ask Halla to commit right now
接下来的打算
to what she’s doing next,
但是我想告诉你的是 如果你决定再这样做的话
but I will say that you’d have a very large volunteer army
你已经拥有了一支庞大的志愿军
should you decide to do that again.
谢谢你 哈拉
Thank you Halla.
-谢谢大家
HT: Thank you all.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

现代社会,女性政要也日益活跃在政坛上并发挥重要作用。你知道这些并非一蹴而就的事情,看看冰岛的女性总统候选人是如何做的,你就知道这有多难了。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

启点—飞雪群山

审核员

自动通过审核

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYaF8p_TNSU

相关推荐