未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

通勤对健康有害?

It's not you. Commuting is bad for your health.

This is my morning commute.
这是我早晨的通勤情况
I get up, get ready, get in a car,
起床 收拾 上车
drive to the train station,
然后开车去火车站
look for parking,
还要找停车位
get on a train for an hour and a half,
再坐一个半小时的火车
arrive at Penn Station, get another train,
到达宾夕法尼亚站 换乘另一辆列车
walk five minutes, and start my work day.
再步行五分钟 然后开始一天的工作
Is this killing me?
这会让我筋疲力尽吗?
我们晚点了一会
希望不要是几个小时
Before you go and post that comment telling me to move closer,
在你发评论让我搬到工作地点附近之前
you need to see that I’m not the only person doing this.
你要知道 不只有我通勤时间这么长
This is the train station I commute from.
这是我通勤出发的火车站
This place is huge and yet it’s full almost every single day.
虽然这里很大 但几乎每天都挤满了人
Just this past fall they had to rip out an entire section of trees
今年秋天他们不得不砍掉一整片树林
to make more space for parking
来腾出更多停车空间
and it’s still not always enough.
但有时车位还是不够
According to US census data
根据美国调查数据显示
the average American commute is nearly 30 minutes one way,
美国人均单程通勤时间大约30分钟
a number that’s been on the rise for the last few decades.
这一数字在过去几十年中不断上升
In general, people are choosing to commute further and farther than ever before
总体上 人们的通勤时间比以往任何时候都长
And those long grueling hours in cars, on trains,
人们在汽车 火车或公交上度过
or buses can take a toll on a person’s health.
疲惫的通勤时间 这会有损健康
Especially when we all hate it so very, very, much.
尤其是当我们都非常讨厌通勤的时候
If you commute or you’ve been on the internet at all,
如果你有同样的经历或经常上网
you’ve seen the articles and maybe you’ve read the studies.
那你肯定看过相关文章或读过相关研究
Commuting has been linked to higher rates of obesity, stress, anxiety, depression,
通勤可能引起肥胖 压力 焦虑 抑郁
higher blood pressure, higher rates of divorce, neck and back problems,
高血压 高离婚率 颈背问题
shorter lifespans, and you get the point.
还会缩短寿命 所以你懂的
Commuting long distances just isn’t good for you
长距离通勤对你没有好处
But a lot of it comes down to how you do it.
但很大程度上也取决于你的通勤方式
For example a Canadian study of commuters in Montreal found
例如加拿大一项针对蒙特利尔市通勤者的研究
that people who walk, bike, or hop on a train
发现步行 骑车或坐火车通勤的人
had a higher life satisfaction than those with comparable commute times on other types of transit.
比使用其他通勤工具的人生活满意度更高
In another study, British researchers found that people
在另一项研究中 英国研究人员发现
who drive to work instead of using public transportation are more likely to be obese.
开车上班比乘坐公共交通上班更易发胖
Sitting in a car all day really adds the negative effects of an inactive lifestyle.
整日坐在车上使本就缺乏运动的人雪上加霜
You’re sitting for hours on it and when all settled down
开了几个小时车回家之后
it’s really hard to find the time or the motivation to exercise.
你真的很难找到时间或动力去锻炼
And that’s not it.
不仅如此
Research has shown that driving alone in particular can make you more miserable.
研究表明 独自驾车尤其会让你更加痛苦
You’re alone with your thoughts for hours, often in frustrating situations,
独自呆几个小时 往往令人陷入沮丧的状态
so it’s not really surprising that this is the disaster for both your mental and physical health.
所以这显然非常不利于你的身心健康
Yet according to a 2010 report,
然而根据一份2010年的报告
this is exactly how 80% of Americans commute to work every single day.
这正是80%美国人每天上班的方式
Now by comparison, those who take public transportation are slightly healthier
相比之下 搭公共交通的人更健康一点
and slightly more satisfied with life.
对生活也更满意一点
Yet we tend to be more negative about our experience overall.
但我们时常会更消极地面对所经历的状况
Public transit commuters often resent the timetables.
乘公共交通的人常抱怨列车的时刻表
If I don’t leave work at 6 o’clock on the dot
如果我不在6点准时下班
I won’t catch the 6:21
就赶不上6点21分的车
if I don’t catch the 6:21 I have to get on the 6:53,
若没赶上6点21的车 就得坐6点53的车
and that’s the difference between me getting home at 8:00 p.m and me getting home at 8:45.
这就是我晚上8点回家和8点45回家的区别
Throw in things like transfers, delays, cancellations,
加上换乘 延误 取消等状况
and you have a really solid foundation for a very stressful, very annoying commute.
就组成了压力十足 令人烦忧的通勤过程
Basically none of this is looking good for my mortality.
看起来这些基本都对我的健康无益
Then why do so many of us do it?
那为什么很多人要这样做呢?
Commuting has been viewed as a source of stress,
通勤一直被视为压力的来源
but in fact it gives people a break.
但事实上它给人喘息的时间
It’s sometimes the only hour of the day that individuals have alone,
有时 这是一天中唯一的独处时间
to be by themselves to think, to listen to music.
独自思考 独自听音乐
Meaning my commute isn’t technically dead space in my day
事实上我每天的通勤时间也并非那么绝望
I catch up on reading, I listen to podcasts, I take advantage of the alone time,
我会抓紧时间读书 听播客 用好独处的时间
but I can also get work done when I need to
必要时也可以用来完成工作
The change in communications has made commuting an extension of the work day
通信的发展使通勤变成工作日的延伸
or an opportunity for the individual to do things they couldn’t otherwise do.
或让人有机会做他们在别处无法做的事
It’s not just a way to go from point A to point B.
这不只是两点一线的路径
In other cases where people live in the gig economy,
有些情况中人们靠兼职谋生 工作不固定
and so having a home that is accessible to transportation
因此 比起住在工作地点附近
is far more important than having a home which is next to your workplace.
住在一个交通方便的地方更加重要
If you’re not gonna have a lifetime job let’s have a lifetime home.
也许工作无法固定 但家可以一直固定不变
So is my commute actually killing me?
那么 通勤真的很折磨我吗?
Well it’s certainly not the best way to spend so much of my time
当然 花这么多时间通勤肯定不是最优解
and it is exhausting, but you can make the most of it.
并且很累人 但你可以充分利用好它
And there’s something to be said about coming home at the end of it all
而且几经辗转最终到家的感觉还是不错的

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

简要介绍了通勤给人带来的坏影响,和通勤的优点

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

😇 洋葱炒肉

审核员

审核员RYAN

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfPNxNIDHrA

相关推荐