未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

我的17岁

I'm 17 | Kate Simonds | TEDxBoise

Hi everyone.
大家好
My name is Kate Simonds, and I’m 17.
我是凯特•西蒙 今年17岁
Upon hearing me say this or seeing the title of this talk,”I’m 17″,
一听到这个或看到这个标题《我17岁了》
I’m sure you’re thinking: since she’s on the stage,
我猜你一定在想:她能站在这个舞台上
she must have done something incredible that she can teach me about.
一定做过了不起的事并可以让我从中学到东西
Maybe she — I don’t know,
可能她-我不知道
what did she do to deserve a TED talk?
她到底做了什么事获得在TED演讲的机会呢?
Did she accidentally make millions
她是在15岁时投资过一家成功的创业公司
from investing in a successful startup company at age 15?
不小心赚了数百万吗?
Maybe she cured some disease accidentally while interning in a lab
或者是在实验室做实习生时偶然间治愈了某些疾病?
or maybe she received a perfect score on her SATs at the age of 7.
或者她7岁时在SATs考试中取得了特别棒的成绩?
Did I do any of those things?
我做了上述的那些事吗?
No. I haven’t done any of these things unfortunately
不 很遗憾这些事我一件也没做过
so here’s the reason why I’m talking today:
以下是我今天能站在这演讲的原因:
When I took this stage,
当我接受这次机会时
you all assumed that I’m some child genius
你们全都认为我是少年天才
or some accredited creator because I’m 17.
或者因为我17岁 觉得我是颇有成就的创意家
I must have done something worthy of your attention.
我一定做了某些值得你关注的事
Yet, the only qualification to being a TED speaker
但是 然而成为TED演讲者 唯一的通行证
is to have an idea.
是有想法
An idea you think is worth spreading.
一个你认为值得广而告之的想法
And that’s the problem.
这就是问题所在
Because I’m 17 and I’m on this stage,
因为我17岁 就站在这个舞台上
you’re only respecting me because I’m on this stage.
你们的尊重仅仅因为我此时此刻在舞台上,
Or, Maybe it’s because you like my extremely high heels
或者 可能因为你们喜欢我特别高的鞋跟
but I don’t think that’s the reason why I should have your respect.
但我认为这不是我应该得到你们尊重的原因
I don’t think that I should have to be a high school millionaire
我不认为我非得是高校百万富翁
or to have cured an epidemic to be worth listening to.
或者因为治愈了某种流行病而值得被聆听
I think that any idea should be respected
我认为任何想法都应该被尊重
no matter the age of who it comes from.
不论这个想法源于什么年龄层的人
My voice has been disrespected what seems like hundreds of times.
有数百次 我的发言不被尊重
I’ve been told by adults that I’m not ready to vote
尽管我关心政治 信念坚定
even though I keep up with politics, and I’m sure of my beliefs.
大人们还是告诉我还不能参与投票
I’ve been told to stop fighting for equality
大家一直告诉我不要对抗不公
because I have a little voice, and it won’t fix anything.
因为我的影响力很有限 是不会改变任何事情的
The difference is, no one would say those things to an adult.
不同的是 没有人会跟大人说这些
Any adult that fights for a cause like that
任何会为这些抗争的大人
would be deemed a courageous and dedicated hero
会被当做一位有勇气肯奉献的英雄
but because I’m 17,
但因为我17岁
I’m naïve and ignorant.
我天真无知
And I have years of experience of my voice not mattering and not being respected.
并且很多年里我的发言无足轻重也不被尊重
I’m even told, according to a Life Science article from 2008,
甚至有人告诉我 根据2008年生命科学的一篇文章
that because I’m a teenager, I can’t experience empathy
因为我是个青少年 没有同理心
which is defined as the ability to understand
也就是没有理解能力
and share the feelings of an other. Now,
没有共情能力 现在
without any quantifiable data or scientific evidence
不用任何有力的数据或科学依据
I can prove that article wrong.
我就能证明那篇文章是错的
Here’s how.
接下来看我是怎么证明的
I did it about a minute ago
一分钟前
when I understood the assumptions you made when I took this stage.
当我站在这个舞台上 当我理解了你们的猜想时 就已经证明了
With empathy because I can relate to you,
我拥有同理心因为我能理解你们
I understand your hesitations to my qualifications
我理解你们对我的演讲资格的质疑
because when I was picked for this TED talk,
因为当我受邀来TED演讲的时候
I wondered the same thing.
我就有了相同的疑惑
I’m just a 17 year old,
我只有17岁
what do I know?
我知道什么呢?
What can I teach you about?
我能教你们什么?
But by this time, I hope I’ve gained your respect.
而现在 我希望已经赢得了你们的尊重
I say”gained” because unlike the other speakers, I didn’t have it initially.
我说“赢得”因为不像其他演讲者 起初我并没有获得你们的尊重
There was an inherent paradigm of doubt.
你们对我有与生俱来的质疑
And this surrounds all students.
这包括所有的学生
The reason I’m so passionate about this is because of
我对这感兴趣的原因是
my work with a local non-profit organization which is called One Stone.
我在一个本地非盈利组织工作 这个组织叫做“一个石头”
One Stone is a student-run, official 501(c) non-profit,
“一个石头”是由一个学生运营的 官方501(c)无盈利
and after joining as a sophomore in high school,
自在高中二年级加入之后
I learnt how to create a budget, to run an interview,
我学会了如何做预算 如何面试
how to speak in front of large groups like this one
如何像这样在很多人面前讲话
and most importantly, how to problem solve.
最重要的是如何解决问题
Surrounded by high school students,
我的身边都是高中生
no one ever questioned the validity of my thoughts.
没人曾质疑过我的想法
Let me tell you, we’ve got stuff done.
我告诉你们 我们做了很多事
But things would change the second I’d leave the building.
但是我离开大楼的瞬间事情可能会发生改变
I’d try talking to an adult
我试着和一个成年人谈论
about something I’d be working on,
我一直为之努力的事情
my research or a project, and they would ask me,”What do you know?”
我的研究或项目 并且他们会问我“你懂什么?”
All teens are asked this,”What do you know?
所有青少年都被问过这个问题 “你懂什么?”
How could you know this?
你怎么会懂这个?
You’re only a teenager.”
你只是个青少年
We are asked this when we talk about politics, education,
当我们谈论政治 教育
even with what we want to do with our lives
甚至我们在生活中想得到的东西时都会被问及
because we’re”Too young to understand.”
因为我们"太年轻 所以不会明白"
Just because we have vertical driver’s licenses
只因为我们的证书是垂直驱动
and you all have horizontal driver’s licenses, apparently,
你们的是水平驱动 很显然
we don’t know what love is.
我们不知道什么是爱
We can’t know what we should or shouldn’t believe,
我们不知道我们应该相信或者不相信什么
we don’t get to talk about education or politics
我们不能谈论教育或政治
because we don’t live in the”real world”.
因为我们不是生活在在“真实的世界‘’中
We actually do not get to speak for ourselves.
其实我们不是为自己说话
At this point, you may have noticed that I’m not using slides.
现在 你也许已经注意到我没有用幻灯片
Part of the reason why is
部分原因是
that I don’t really need them
我真的不需要它们
but to be honest with you,
但是诚实地说
the real reason why is that this is a really unique chance
真正的原因是对像我这样的学生来讲
for a student like me to have your attention,
这是能引起你们注意的特别机会
so I’m going to strategically direct 100 % of it to myself.
所以我决定采用由我自己100%掌控局面的方式
(Laughter)
(大笑)
This problem is bigger than it sounds.
这个问题比听起来更严重
From my contrasting experiences at One Stone
根据我在One Stone截然不同的经历
and with the help of the amazing teachers I’ve had,
以及在学校里那些很棒的老师的帮助下
I’ve become fully aware of the constant belittling that occurs to student voices.
我已经注意到学生的声音一直是那么微弱
This problem is big.
这个问题很严重
Look at our education system;as students, we have no say
看看我们的教育体系 作为学生 我们没有
in what we learn or how we learn it,
对于学习内容和方式的发言权
yet we’re expected to absorb it all, take it all in,
但是却被寄予全盘吸收这些知识 接受
and be able to run the world someday.
并且有朝一日能够统领世界的希望
We’re expected to raise our hands to use the restroom,
我们被要求上厕所要举手
then 3 months later
然后三月后
be ready to go to college
准备好上大学
or have a full time job,
或者开始职业生涯
support ourselves and live on our own.
自力更生
It’s not logical.
这逻辑不对
My mum is an elementary school teacher.
我妈妈是初中教师
I always hear her and her colleagues talking about how kindergarteners,
我一直听到她和她的同事谈论 幼儿园小朋友
when asked a question,
当老师提出问题时
are thrilled to be raising their hands, all of them.
他们所有人 都会很开心的举起手
Yet, as you increase the grade level,
然而 当年级变高
fewer and fewer hands ,are raised each year. Now,
每年举手的人越来越少 现在
in my senior classes in high school,
在我高中毕业班
it’s common that, when asked a question,
经常出现以下情况 当被提问
no one raises their hand,
没有人举手
and the teacher has to call out names from a roster.
老师要根据名单 点名回答问题
I think this is because
我认为这是因为
A, students aren’t confident in their own answers,
第一 学生对自己的答案没有自信
B, students have been made fun of
第二 学生曾经因为
for answering too many questions correctly
能够答对很多问题而被嘲笑
or C, the students aren’t listening.
或者第三 学生没有在听
Maybe they’re texting in their lap or most likely, just extremely disinterested.
也许 他们在用手提电脑聊天 很有可能的是 他们只是非常没有兴趣
These are all three really big problems.
这三个都是很严重的问题
Students have lost sight of their education’s value
学生已经看不到教育的价值所在
and have therefore stopped learning.
并就这样停止了学习
Because we’re told,”You don’t get it, you’re 17.
因为有人告诉我们"你不会明白 你才17岁
You don’t deserve to have the control over what you learn.”
你还没有选择你要学什么的能力‘’
This statement and this mindset are toxic.
这种陈述和思维模式有毒
It’s gotten to the point where we’ve begun to stop listening to ourselves.
它已经渗入我们的心知道我们开始停止学习
Sometimes, I catch myself on a wild train
有时 我发现我自己在一列不受控制的思维火车上
of thought and stop myself thinking,
并且让自己不去想
“Self, stop thinking about this.
‘’自己啊 不要再想这个了
You’re only 17, you don’t know anything about psychology.
你只有17岁 你对心理还一无所知
What are you doing? Stop!”
你在做什么?停下来!‘’
This is me,
这就是我
someone who totally believes in the validation of everyone’s ideas
我打心底相信每个人的想法都是有用的
and is doing a TED Talk
我正在做关于
on the validation of everyone’s ideas,
每个人思想重要性的TED演讲
discrediting my own because my thoughts don’t come from an adult mind.
这让我丢脸 因为我的想法不是出自成年人的头脑
Last spring, my friend and I started a club.
去年春天 我和朋友办了一个俱乐部
Both of us are very outspoken,
我们俩都很敢于发声
and we saw this as an opportunity
我们把这次看作是
to make a difference in our school.
在学校里做出改变的机会
We anticipated it might take some work
我们担心 让成年人认可我们的任务
to convince the adults of our mission
会花一番功夫
but we didn’t realize
但是我们没有意识到
that the real challenge would be convincing our classmates
真正的挑战在于说服我们的同班同学
that they could make a change as students.
他们身为学生可以做出改变
When we tried to stand up for something,
当我们试着站出来说话时
they criticized us, they made fun of us
他们批评我们 嘲弄我们
for standing up for our beliefs.
就因为我们为信念挺身而出
That’s really, really bad.
这个真的 真的很不好
Students question the validity of their own thoughts
学生质疑他们自己思想的可靠性
because they don’t come from adult minds,
因为它们不是来自于成人的头脑
yet what really separates adults and teenagers intellectually?
但是在智商上 到底是什么把成年人和青少年区分开来
Is it an age?
是年龄吗?
Do we wake up on our 21st birthdays with everlasting knowledge?
难道我们二十一岁生日早晨醒来就拥有永恒不枯竭的知识了吗
Do we turn 18 and suddenly have ideas that are worth listening to?
难道我们长到18岁突然就有了值得聆听的想法了吗?
Also, this magical age of adulthood is different
而且 这个神奇的成年年龄
in countries all over the world.
在世界上每个国家都不同
It hasn’t seemed to work so far, so who’s right?
到现在看起来不怎么有用 那么谁是对的呢?
Or maybe it’s from attaining a level
或者只是来源于
of maturity which can come at any age
任何时候可能来临的成熟
but I know a lot of high schoolers and college students
但是我认识很多高中生和大学生
that are more mature than some adults I know.
比一部分成年人更成熟
So that’s not logical either.
这也不是逻辑
I think that it doesn’t come with age or experiential maturity.
我认为它并不随着年纪或者经验增长而来
There’s a definite biological difference between the two
两者之间是有一定的生物学差别
but it comes instead with brain conformity.
但绝不是脑部构造
Researchers at Stanford tested this a while back.
斯坦福大学的研究员前段时间证明了这个
They looked at neurosignalling differences in the two ages
他们通过观察青少年和成年人两个年龄段的神经信号区别
between adolescence and adults to see how brains were networked.
来了解脑部网络结构
They ended up finding out adult pathways were much more constant
他们发现 相较于青少年
as if mapped than the younger subjects
成年人的回路更加恒定 就像地图
whose pathways were more scattered or spontaneous or, dare I say, creative.
青少年的回路更加分散或者说 更加自主 我可以大胆地说 有创新意识
It’s no secret that society has a lot of problems
社会存在很多我们无法解决的问题
that we just can’t quite seem to solve.
并不是秘密
The adults behind them have conditioned attempts at solving them
它们背后的成年人们已经在尝试解决它们
which is why we haven’t made any progress.
这就是我们没有任何进展的原因
In my government class,
在我的政治课上
my teacher has a really sarcastic poster that says,
我的老师有一张极具讽刺意味的海报并且说道
“ If you think our problems are bad,
‘’如果你觉得我们的问题很严重
just wait until you see our solutions”.
就等着看我们的解决方案吧‘’
(Laughter)
(笑)
Maybe this problem is that we’re not thinking about these solutions creatively.
也许问题在于我们没有用创新思维去解决这些问题
Teens are criticized all the time for having rambunctiously inventive ideas.
青少年因他们思想张扬有创意整天被批评
But instead of making fun of these teenagers,
与嘲笑这些青少年的行为截然相反
maybe the problem is that we should be harnessing these ideas,
也许问题在于我们应该利用这些点子
we should be tapping into these spontaneous brain pathways
我们应该走进这些脑回路
and using them to solve these problems.
用它们解决这些问题
This is my idea worth spreading:
这是我想要传播的思想
a world of creative collaboration between adults and students.
成年人和青少年用创意联结的世界
It’s a world where adults listen and respect student ideas,
在这个世界里 成年人聆听尊重学生的想法
and a world where students respect and listen to their own ideas.
学生也尊重聆听他们自己的想法
The education system; it will improve dramatically,
教育体系 会发生天翻地覆的变化
students will care about learning
学生们会关心学习
because they know that their education matters.
因为他们知道教育很重要
In the current status quo,
现在的状况是
once you’re educated past a certain point you’ve learned all about failure.
一旦你的教育达到某个特定的点 你就已经了解了失败
We’re teaching our students right now to lose belief in possible change or perfection.
现在我们正教学生们不要对可能的改变或者完善抱有信念
In other words, we’re teaching them
换句话说 我们正在教他们
to stop thinking outside the box and to accept adequacy.
不要去更进一步思考并且接受当下
We’re teaching them to conform to standards and to lose their creativity.
我们在教他们遵照标准并且让他们失去创造力
But before this happens, students don’t think of logistics or limitations,
但是在这之前 学生不考虑逻辑或者局限
they’re fearless.
他们无所畏惧
Think of the kindergarteners; if we could harness this excited energy
想想幼儿园的孩子们 如果我们可以在整个教育过程中
before they lose it and foster it throughout their entire education,
他们失去这股兴奋的动力前加以利用并且培养它
think of the creative ideas that could come of it.
想想会有多少创意诞生
Possibly even more so, government could improve.
也许有更多这样的情况后 政府可以完善
Once students know that their voices matter,
一旦学生明白他们声音的重要
they’ll feel obligated to participate.
他们会觉得有义务参与进来
They’ll feel responsible for where policies are headed.
他们会觉得政策的走向是他们肩上的责任
With improved efficacy comes progress across the board.
随着在董事会的进展 效果也越来越好
Now,I’m not suggesting to extend suffrage to 5 year olds.
现在我不是说把选举权的范围扩大到五岁的小朋友们
But I do think
但是我确实认为
that we should encourage our 18 year olds to vote,
我们应该鼓励18岁的青少年参与选举
not discourage them, that so happens frequently.
而不是阻止他们 这种事情经常发生
Ask us about social security, ask us about environmental destruction,
问问我们社会安全 问问我们环境破坏
ask us about anything.
问我们任何事情
Let us know that we matter because we do.
让我们知道我们很重要 因为这是事实
It’s true that not all of us will understand these policies right away.
的确 并不是我们中的所有 会马上懂得政治
Just because we’re teenagers doesn’t mean that we don’t understand politics
就因为我们是青少年 不代表我们不懂政治
and similarly, just because you’re an adult, doesn’t mean that you do.
而且同理可证 你是大人并不意味着你懂政治
When you tell us that our votes don’t matter,
当你告诉我们我们的投票无足轻重
that we’re not ready,
我们没有准备好
you lose, too.
你也输了
Fewer and fewer people are voting each year, that’s a fact.
每年越来越少的人参与投票 这是事实
And a loss of votes, to be dramatic,
投票的减少 戏剧性的是
is a loss of democracy.
是民主的缺失
If you’re not old enough, if you’re 17 like me, 16,
如果你没到年龄 如果你像我一样17岁 16岁
15, 13, you still matter, too
15岁 13岁 你同样很重要
even though you can’t legally vote, and you aren’t in college yet.
就算根据法律 你不能投票 你还没有上大学
You are still valuable to society. OK,
你在社会中也有你的价值 好吧
if anyone has fallen asleep or something
如果有些人已经睡着了
or if you have found me completely disinteresting, wake up,
或者你觉得我一点都没趣 醒过来吧
and listen to me now. Students,
现在开始听我说 学生
we’ve been respectfully asking for student voice for years.
我们已经连续好几年征询学生的声音
We’ve sat on representative seats at board meetings,
我们在董事会上面作为代表出席
and we’ve protested standardized testing, but it hasn’t been enough.
我们已经提出对标准化考试的反对 但这是不够的
Look where we are.
看看我们现在
We need to stop asking, and we need to start demanding.
我们要停下请求 我们需要开始要求
More than student councils and board meetings, and clubs,
不仅仅是在学生会 董事会 俱乐部
and representative seats.
和代表席
We deserve to be trusted with more than setting up our parents’ iPads.
我们有权利被赋予更多 不止是帮我们父母设置iPad
(Laughter)
(笑)
Our ideas matter. But,
我们的想法是重要的 但是
unfortunately this will only work if it’s a collaboration. Adults,
不幸的是 只有它有组织时才有用 成人
I’m asking you to work with us.
我请求你们和我们一起努力
Give us your respect, hold us accountable.
尊重我们 相信我们
I’m not asking for blind faith,
我要的不是盲目的信念
I’m asking for you to let us prove it.
我要的是你们让我们证明这些
You hold me accountable for my education.
你们相信我的学业
I can hold you accountable too.
我也能相信你们
Environmental destruction, national debt,unjust policies, social inequalities,
环境破坏 国债 不公正的政治 社会不平等
the list goes on and on.
有数不清的事情
We need to hold each other accountable
我们需要相信在对方身上
for any progress to be made,
任何进步都是有可能的
and I promise you it will.
我保证它会的
I’m 17.
我17岁
I haven’t won a Nobel Peace Prize, I haven’t solved inequality,
我从没拿过诺贝尔和平奖 我没有解决社会的不公
I haven’t solved poverty,
我没有解决贫穷
I haven’t done any of the cool things
我没有做过任何我之前提到过
that I’ve mentioned earlier.
那些很酷的事情
But the difference is, I know that I can. Teens,
但是区别是 我知道我可以 青年们
you need to believe in your voices,
你需要相信自己的声音
and adults, you need to listen.
成年人们 你们需要的是聆听
Thank you.
谢谢
(Applause)
(掌声)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

十七岁,有自己的独特想法,少女为自己争取权利。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Julianne

审核员

审核员 V

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OkOQhXhsIE

相关推荐