未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

我永远改变了天文学,他因此获得了诺贝尔奖

I Changed Astronomy Forever. He Won the Nobel Prize for It. | 'Almost Famous' by Op-Docs

[MUSIC PLAYING]
[音乐响起]
“I remember, when my brother was born, people would say,
我记得在弟弟出生时 人们说
‘Isn’t it great that Mrs. Bell has a boy now?’
“太好了 贝尔夫人现在总算生了一个男孩”
As a small child, I found that difficult.
作为一个小孩子 我觉得我的处境很艰难
I knew I wanted to be an astronomer.
我知道我想成为一名天文学家
But at that stage, there weren’t any women role models that I knew of.
但在那个时期 我还没听说过任何女性榜样
Even when I got engaged to be married,
即使我订了婚
many people would congratulate me on that
很多人都会向我表示祝贺
and say nothing about making a major astrophysical discovery
却并不谈及我的重大天体物理学发现
pulsars.
脉冲星
“The discovery of pulsars, for which U.K. —”
“脉冲星的发现 对英国而言”
“A girl —”
“一个女孩”
“A girl —”
“一个女孩”
“— wrote one of astronomy’s most exciting discoveries.”
“写下了天文学界最激动人心的发现之一”
“Of course, back then, nobody knew what a pulsar was
当然 在那个时候 没人知道脉冲星是个什么东西
until I found the first two.
直到我发现了头两个
I was born in Northern Ireland, 1943.
1943年 我出生在北爱尔兰
My father was an architect for the observatory in Armagh.
我的父亲是位建筑师 他供职于阿尔马的一座天文台
I was in secondary school, enjoying it very much right from the beginning,
一开始我很喜欢当时所就读的中学
until the Wednesday of the first week
直到刚开学第一周的星期三
They sent the boys to the science laboratory
他们把男孩子送到科学实验室
laboratory and the girls to the cookery room
却把女孩子们送往烹饪教室
because they were going to be homemakers.
因为往后她们都将成为家庭主妇
I knew that wasn’t right.
我知道那并不对
I tried protesting to the domestic science teacher,
我试图向家政老师抗议
but she wasn’t hearing anything of it.
但她并没有听我的
But when I told my parents that night,
可是当我在那晚告诉我的父母时
they hit the roof.
他们勃然大怒
As Quakers, we believe there is
作为贵格会教徒 我们相信
something of God in everybody, literally everybody.
每个人身上都有上帝的影子
So everybody needed a scientific education.
所以每个人都需要接受科学教育
The next time the science class
等到再上科学课
met, there were three girls and all the boys.
教室里有了三名女孩子和全部的男孩
I was reading one of my father’s library books,
我当时正在读一本我父亲的藏书
which was an astronomy book, ‘Frontiers of Astronomy,’
那是一本关于天文学的 名叫《天文学前沿》
by Fred Hoyle, the famous astronomer.
作者是弗雷德·霍伊尔 著名的天文学家
I knew, before I left school, I wanted to be a radio astronomer.
在离开学校前 我知道 我想成为一名射电天文学家
I went to University of Glasgow in Scotland.
我去了位于苏格兰的格拉斯哥大学
I ended up being the only female in a class of 50.
并最终成为50人班级里唯一的女性
And it was the tradition that when a woman entered the lecture theater
惯例上 当一名女性进入报告厅时
the lecture theater, all the guys whistled, cat-called,
所有的男学生会吹口哨 喝倒彩
banged their desks.”
并且敲打他们的桌子
[BANGING]
[敲桌声]
“I had to face this on my own.”
所有这些我必须独自面对
[WHISTLING]
[吹口哨声]
“It’s nasty, yes.
这种行为真的很可恶
If I hadn’t been clear what I wanted to do,
如果不是清楚地知道要干什么
I would probably have gone some other way.
我很可能会选择走其他的路
I rather belatedly put in an application to Cambridge.
我很晚才向剑桥大学递交了入学申请
I didn’t think I was clever enough for this top university.
我不认为自己聪明到能进入这所顶级大学
But rather to my surprise, I got in.
但是出乎意料 我成功了
‘Oh, they’ve made a mistake admitting me.’
“也许他们录取我就是一个错误
“They’re going to discover their mistake and throw me out”
他们迟早会发现这个错误并把我赶走”
That’s impostor syndrome.
这种想法是冒充者综合征
I got around it by deciding I would work my very hardest,
为克服这种想法 我刻苦学习
so that when they threw me out, I wouldn’t have a guilty conscience.
这样在他们把我赶出去时 我便不会有负罪感
Tony Hewish had this particular project
托尼·休伊什有一个特别的项目
to pick out compact objects called quasars
要探测出被称为类星体的致密物体
the very hot topic.
这在当时是个很热门的话题
So the first job was to build the radio telescope
因此 我当时第一份工作就是去建造射电望远镜
that I was to use.
那也是我将用到的
No, no, you’re thinking of an optical telescope that uses light.
不 你想到的那是个利用光的光学望远镜
This is a radio telescope
这是射电望远镜
that uses to pick out very, very distant objects.
借助无线电波能探测到非常远的物体
Some of the radio telescopes are dishes.
一些射电望远镜是碟形的
Ours was like an agricultural frame.
我们制作的像一个农用架
We had to carry a bundle of about 20 cables hat were 50 meters long.
我们不得不携带一捆大约20根50米长的电缆
Then you’d yell, ‘Lift!’ They’d all lift,
然后你喊“举起来” 他们就举起来
and ‘Right’ — this sort of caterpillar of people carrying cables.
再喊“对了” 这些人就像毛毛虫般抬着电缆
It took about half a dozen of us two years to build.”
我们六个人花了两年的时间才建成
“The array rotated with the Earth, scanning continuously,
“阵列随地球一起旋转
night and day, across the sky.
日夜不停地扫描着天空
And it was to be operated full time by one person, a girl,
它将由一个人全职操作 一个女孩子
a graduate student who helped to build it, Jocelyn Bell.”
一个帮助建立起它的研究生 乔斯林·贝尔”
“My presence as a female student was an anomaly.
作为一名女性 我出现在这里是很反常的
The only other females were the secretaries.
其他的女性都去做了秘书
At this stage, there was nobody else on this project.
那时候 这个项目上几乎已经没人了
It was Tony Hewish and I. He’s the person who’s had the idea
只剩下托尼·休伊什和我 他是提出建造射电望远镜的人
and he’s the person who’s got the money to build the radio telescope
并且成功得到一笔资金
but it’s my Ph.D.
而这是我的博士课题
I’m running the telescope, and I’m analyzing the data.
我运行着这个望远镜并且还要分析数据
You end up with a long chart with a sort of squiggly line on it.
你最终会得到一张有着弯曲线条的长图表
Ooh, there’s a big source.
这有一个很强的信号来源
That’s routine chart analysis.
这就是常规的图表分析
And five minutes was one inch, so one foot for a hour,24 foot a day.
五分钟绘制一英寸 所以一小时是一英尺 一天就是24英尺
And I had four chart recorders going almost 100 foot a day.
我有四个记录仪 每天大约有100英尺的进度
There was rather more of that chart paper than I had imagined .I must say yes.
不得不讲 那些图表比我想象的要多得多
One day I was looking for quasars
一天 我正在搜寻着类星体时
and there was a signal there that I couldn’t explain.
出现了一段我无法解释的信号
It wasn’t a quasar.
它并非来自类星体
And it didn’t look like any kind of interference that I’ve seen before.
而且看起来不像我见过的任何干扰信号
I shouldn’t be seeing something like that.
我从未遇到过这样的情况
I wanted to understand what it was.
我试图理解这到底是什么
And I ended up taking this problem to Tony.
最终我把这个问题汇报给了托尼
And he said that it was interference.
他说这是一种干扰信号
He had one idea,
对此他有一种解释
that Jocelyn had wired up the radio telescope wrongly
那就是乔西恩把射电望远镜的线路接错了
and it was something to do with that.
才出现这样的结果
I kept observing.
我继续观察
And this thing took up about a quarter inch on the charts.
并且这东西在图表上占去了四分之一英尺的空间
You actually need an enlargement
你确实需要放大一下
to run the chart faster under the pen
提高记录速度
so everything gets spread out.
以便让所有的东西都展开
So I would go out to the observatory,
于是我走到天文台
turn the chart on to high speed
把记录仪调整至高速
while it should have been there,
而它也应该这样
at the appropriate time switch the high-speed recording,
在适当的时候我开启高速记录
and in comes pulse, pulse, pulse.
然后就出现了跳动 跳动 跳动
What is this?
这到底是什么?
I telephoned Tony.
我给托尼打电话
I told them it was a string of pulsesone and a third seconds apart.
我告诉他那是一串间隔1/3秒的脉冲信号
His immediate reaction was, ‘Oh, well that settles it.It’s interference.’
他当即回答 “我已经告诉你了 那是干扰信号”
I knew it wasn’t interference.
可我知道那并不是干扰信号
Next day, Tony came out.
第二天 托尼来了
And he saw the pulses with his own eyes.
他亲眼看到脉冲记录
And it wasn’t interference.
才确定那并不是干扰信号
That started a whole new research project, basically.
这个发现开启了一个全新的研究课题
What is it?
这究竟是什么?
How are we getting this curious thing?
我们是怎么得到这些奇怪的东西的?
Tony and I together, we had some ideas.
托尼和我有了一些想法
I was excited to be heavily involved in discovering.whatever this was.
不管这到底是什么 我都很兴奋能深度参与到这项研究当中
I went to ask Tony something, and the door was shut
我找托尼问一些东西 可是大门紧闭
which was most unusual.
这太不寻常了
And I stumbled on a discussion between Tony and Martin Ryle
无意中我听说了托尼和马丁·赖尔之间的谈话
the head of the group
赖尔是整个团队的负责人
which in retrospect was a discussion
现在回想起来
I think I should have been part of right from the beginning.
从一开始我就应该参加这个讨论的
How do we publish this result?
我们该怎样发表这项成果?
It’s incredibly hard to get people to believe you’ve discovered something amazing
如果你只观测到一次
if you’ve only got one.
就很难让人相信你的惊人发现
I knew that finding more would be the clincher.
我明白只有找到更多 才能成为铁证
I’m back in the lab, doing some routine chart analysis,
我返回实验室 继续做常规的图表分析
and suddenly see something that looks awful like that first pulsar had looked.
突然 我观测到了和第一次极其相同的脉冲信号
I was convinced we now had two.
我深信我们是现在两次发现脉冲星了
Tony gave a colloquium in Cambridge.
托尼在剑桥大学组织了一场座谈会
And every astronomer in Cambridge came.
剑桥的每个天文学家都到会了
[CHUCKLING] It was —
[笑声]在会上
Fred Hoyle, the eminent astronomer that influenced me when I was a schoolgirl
弗雷德·霍伊尔 这位影响了我整个学生时代的杰出天文学家
was in the audience. Very exciting.
也在现场 我很激动
Tony was doing the lecture, announcing the discovery of this new radio source.
托尼在发表演说 宣布了这种全新的射电源
Tony could have cited me more and didn’t,
托尼本可以更多地提及我 但他并没有
but I was Miss Bell, the student.
因为我是贝尔小姐 他的学生
Fred Hoyle was the first to speak.
弗雷德·霍伊尔第一个发言
“This cosmic anarchist is the most controversial of theorists.”
“这宇宙中的‘无政府主义者’对理论家最具争议”
“This is the first I’ve heard of these things.
“这是我第一次听说这样的事
I think it’s a supernova remnant.”
我认为那只是超新星残骸”
Fred Hoyle hadn’t heard of these things 45 minutes previously.
在45分钟之前 弗雷德·霍伊尔还未曾听说这些事情
But within that time, he has assimilated the information
但在那段时间 他已经消化了这些信息
and actually come up with the right explanation
并且实际上也作出了正确的解释
the one that turns out to be correct.
这个解释后来被证明是正确的
Gradually it became clearer and clearer
逐渐这个理论变得越来越完整清晰
that this was hugely important.
这非常重要
We wrote up a paper announcing the first one.
我们把它写在论文上并宣布了这个首次的发现
And when it was published, it produced an enormous amount of interest.”
它出版后 引发了人们广泛的兴趣
“— are entirely new.”
“是全新的”
The press would ask Tony about the astrophysical significance of this discovery.
媒体会询问托尼这个天文发现的重大意义
“— how greater than a planet could really —”
“一个比行星还要大的天体到底是怎样的”
“And then they turned to me for what they called the human interest.
然后他们也会问我一些很有“人情味”的问题
How many boyfriends did I have at once?
我曾同时交往过几个男友?
“Oh, yes.”
“哦 是的”
“If there —”
“如果有”
Would I describe myself as brunette or blond?
我认为自己是黑发还是金发?
“Nothing in nature could do this.”
“世界上没人能做到这一点”
What were my bust, waist and hip measurements?
我的胸围 腰围和臀围分别是多少?
How tall was I?
我有多高?
The photographers were the worst.
最恶劣的是摄影师
They wanted me to undo some buttons on my blouse.
他们让我解开一些上衣的纽扣
“A girl, Jocelyn Bell —”
“一个女孩 乔斯林·贝尔”
The popular press were certainly putting me in the little girl, sexually attractive role.
大众媒体无疑会把我描述成一个性感的小女生
I barely rated as a scientist.
我几乎没有被当做一位科学家
Tony just let it happen.
托尼对此却放任不管
It was dreadful.
这真的很可怕
I was leaving because I was going off to get married.
由于要准备结婚 我便离开了这里
My husband was working elsewhere.
我的丈夫在另一个地方工作
So I had to move jobs, and I left Cambridge.
因此我不得不更换工作 并且离开了剑桥
Nineteen seventy-four, I was working in X-ray astronomy.
1974年 我正在X射线天文学领域工作
And the satellite we were to use was launching that morning.
我们要使用的卫星将在当天上午发射
One of my colleagues came rushing into my office,
一个同事跑到我的办公室里
‘Have you heard the news?
“你听说那个消息了吗?”
Have you heard the news?’
“听说那个消息了吗?”
I thought the satellite’s gone, but it wasn’t.
我以为是卫星发射了 但事实上却并非如此
It was the announcement of the Nobel Prize.
那是诺贝尔奖被颁布的消息
“Prof. Anthony Hewish
“安东尼·休伊什教授
the discovery of pulsars, for which you played a decisive role,
您是发现脉冲星的决定性人物
is a most outstanding example of how in recent years
同时您也是最杰出的楷模
our knowledge of the universe has been dramatically expanded.”
极大地丰富了近年来我们对宇宙的认识”
“They’ve given the prize jointly to Martin Ryle,
他们把奖项共同颁给马丁·赖尔
who was the head of the Cambridge Radio Astronomy Group
他是剑桥射电天文学小组的负责人
and to Tony for pulsars.
以及托尼 因为他发现了脉冲星
Fred Hoyle was quite furious for me.”
弗雷德·霍伊尔为我的不公大发雷霆
Nobel scientist denies he used work of girl researcher
“获诺奖科学家否认利用了女研究员的成果”
“And here we can see Dr. Tony Hewish,
“在这儿我们可以看到托尼·休伊什博士
who will tell us more about it.”
他会告诉我们更多相关的事情”
“When you plan a trip of discovery and somebody
“当你计划开展一场探索之旅时
at the masthead says, ‘Land ho,’ that’s great.
船头上有人说 ‘陆地在那儿’ 那很好
But, I mean, who actually inspired it and conceived it
但我的意思是 谁启发了它 构思了它
and decided what to do, when and so on
并决定做什么 什么时候做等等
I mean, there is a difference between skipper and crew.”
我是说船长和船员之间是有区别的”
I think the fact that I was a graduate student and a woman
我认为我是研究生并且是一名女性
together demoted my standing, in terms of receiving a Nobel Prize.
这些事实降低了我在获得诺贝尔奖方面的身份
It didn’t bother me.
它并未使我烦恼
I was actually pleased.
我真的很欣慰
I was really pleased that
我欣慰的是
pulsars were considered important enough to rate a Nobel Prize.
脉冲星被重视到足以获得诺贝尔奖的程度
The very name “pulsar” is an abbreviation of “pulsating radio star.”
“脉冲星”这个名字的全称是“脉冲射电星”
It’s the remains of a big star that exploded near the end of its life.
它是一颗大恒星的遗骸 在生命终结时会发生爆炸
And this tiny star is spinning.
这颗小恒星正在旋转
And as it spins, it sweeps a radio wave round the sky.
当它旋转的时候 会向宇宙发射无线电波
And if it shines in your face, you see pulse, pulse, pulse
如果它照在你的脸上 你会看到搏动 搏动 搏动
But if it doesn’t shine in your face
但是如果不照在你的脸上
you don’t see anything.
你什么也看不到
Now, whether if I’d stayed single,
我想 如果我当初保持单身
I think things might have been very different.
情况应该会有很大的不同吧
I think I would have been offered a postdoctoral place in Cambridge.
如果还在剑桥的话 我想我能得到一个博士后的位置
I would probably continued have working in radio astronomy the whole of my career
我可能会一辈子从事射电天文学的工作
and be a much more narrow-minded astronomer as a result.
并因此成为更保守的天文学家
But I’ve actually had huge fun in my career
但实际上我在职业生涯中得到了很大的乐趣
Even if it has not been a string of prestigious jobs,
即使那些工作并不知名
it’s been a string of very, very interesting jobs,
却也非常非常有趣
usually working in great places with great colleagues.
经常在很棒的地方和很好的同事们一起工作
July in 2018, I had a phone call from Ed Witten,
2018年7月 我接到了艾德威滕打来的电话
who’s a very eminent Princeton physicist,
他是普林斯顿大学中一位杰出的物理学家
saying that I’d won this Breakthrough Prize
他说我赢得了突破奖
for the discovery of pulsars.
以表彰我发现了脉冲星
The reason I discovered pulsars was because I was a bit of an outsider who
我能够发现脉冲星是由于我觉得自己是个局外人
felt maybe not entitled to be there and so on.
没有资格待在剑桥 等等原因吧
And I thought if I could give more minority people an opportunity to do Ph.D.s,
我想 如果能给更多的少数族裔一个读博士的机会
some exciting things might emerge.
可能会出现一些激动人心的事情
Phone up the chief executive of the Institute of Physics
我便给物理学会的首席执行官通了电话
and say, “Hello, Paul. Could the Institute of Physics use a $3 million award
说 “你好 保罗 物理学会能否拿出300万美元
to provide research studentships for people from minorities?’’
为少数族裔提供研究奖学金?”
And he didn’t hesitate.
他毫不犹豫
He said yes.
直接说好的
Fred Hoyle influenced me and turned me on to astronomy.
弗雷德·霍伊尔影响了我并使我成为天文学家
It’s important to be a good role model.
做一个好的榜样是很重要的
I do think it’s important that there are role models for young women.
对年轻的女性来说 拥有一个好的榜样同等重要
So, OK, I’ll be it.”
所以 好的 我会成为那样的榜样
[GENTLE MUSIC]
[温和的音乐]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

乔斯林·贝尔是著名的天文学家,从小便对天文学产生了浓厚的兴趣,她原本可以凭借脉冲星的发现摘得诺贝尔奖,可是在当时的男权社会中,女性地位被贬低,她获奖的资格也被导师无情占据了……想知道接下来的故事吗?那就点开视频看看吧。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Mr.Freedom

审核员

审核员DY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDW9zKqvPJI

相关推荐