未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

在推特上倾听年轻非洲人之声

How young Africans found a voice on Twitter | Siyanda Mohutsiwa

一切从一个问题开始
It began with one question:
如果非洲是个酒吧 你的国家在喝什么 干什么?
If Africa was a bar, what would your country be drinking or doing?
我先写了一个对南非的猜测
I kicked it off with a guess about South Africa,
其实这并不太符合规则
which wasn’t exactly according to the rules
因为南非不是我的祖国
because South Africa’s not my country.
但是这个猜测影射了南非的持续努力
But alluding to the country’s continual attempts
在被种族隔离政策蹂躏了几十年后
to build a postracial society
它想打造一个后种族歧视的社会
after being ravaged for decades by apartheid,
我发了个推文 如果非洲是个酒吧 南非会喝到各种各样的酒
I tweeted, #ifafricawasabar South Africa would be drinking all kinds of alcohol
然后苦苦哀求胃把它赶紧消化掉
and begging them to get along in its stomach.
然后我就开始等
And then I waited.
我突然有那种奇怪的感觉 怀疑自己是不是有些越界了
And then I had that funny feeling where I wondered if I crossed the line.
然后 我又发了几条 有关自己国家的推文
So, I sent out a few other tweets about my own country
还有一些我比较熟悉的非洲国家
and a few other African countries I’m familiar with.
然后我又开始等
And then I waited again,
但是这一次
but this time
我几乎读完了 我曾经发过的所有推文
I read through almost every tweet I had ever tweeted
以此说服自己
to convince myself,
不对……是提醒自己 我其实很幽默
no, to remind myself that I’m really funny
如果别人看不懂 那就算了吧
and that if nobody gets it, that’s fine.
但是幸运的是
But luckily,
我并不用这样长时间提醒自己
I didn’t have to do that for very long.
人们很快就参与进来了
Very soon, people were participating.
事实上 就在七月那周的周末
In fact, by the end of that week in July,
那个推特话题 #如果非洲是个酒吧
the hashtag #ifafricawasabar
大概已经产生了6万条推文
would have garnered around 60,000 tweets,
它点燃了整个大陆
lit up the continent
而且出现在了全世界的各类刊物中
and made its way to publications all over the world.
人们在用这个话题标签做各种各样的事情
People were using the hashtag to do many different things.
调侃自己国家的陋习
To poke fun at their stereotypes:
[#如果非洲是个酒吧 尼日利亚会呆在酒吧外不停解释
[#IfAfricaWasABar Nigeria would be outside explaining
自己一定会付入场费
that he will pay the entrance fee,
他只需要问清楚 守门员的银行账户]
all he needs is the bouncer’s account details.]
(笑声)
(Laughter)
批判政府的财政支出
To criticize government spending:
[#如果非洲是个酒吧 南非会买很多它分不清的酒
[#ifafricawasabar South Africa would be ordering bottles it can’t pronounce
记一个它付不起的账单]
running a tab it won’t be able to pay]
调侃地缘政治的紧张局势
To make light of geopolitical tensions:
[#如果非洲是个酒吧 南苏丹会是一个新来的人
[#IfAfricaWasABar South Sudan would be the new guy
有着严重的情绪失调症]
with serious anger management issues.]
提醒我们即使是非洲
To remind us that even in Africa
也有一些我们不知道的国家
there are some countries we don’t know exist:
[#如果非洲是个酒吧 莱索托是一个没人知道的家伙
[#IfAfricaWasABar Lesotho would be that person
却总是能出现在照片里]
who nobody really knows but is always in the pictures.]
同时也调侃那些自认为不属于非洲的国家
And also to make fun of the countries that don’t think that they’re in Africa:
[#如果非洲是个酒吧 埃及 利比亚 突尼斯
[#IfAfricaWasABar Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco
会想 我们在这儿干嘛?!!]
be like “What the hell are we doing here?!!”]
(笑声)
(Laughter)
而且还提到了一些做出重大转变的国家
And to note the countries that had made a big turnaround:
[#如果非洲是个酒吧 卢旺达是一个女孩儿
[#ifAfricawasabar Rwanda would be that girl
她来的时候一穷二白 走的时候却很醉很爽很有钱]
that comes with no money and no transport but leaves drunk, happy and rich]
但更重要的是
But most importantly,
人们在用这个话题标签来交流
people were using the hashtag to connect.
人们交流他们内心的非洲特质
People were connecting over their Africanness.
就在七月的一周时间里
So for one week in July,
推特变成了一个真正的非洲酒吧
Twitter became a real African bar.
我真的很兴奋
And I was really thrilled,
主要是因为我发觉泛非主义是真实可行的
mainly because I realized that Pan-Africanism could work,
在我们面前 在我们指尖
that we had before us, between us, at our fingertips
就是一个平台 只需要一点火花
a platform that just needed a small spark
就可以点燃人与人之间的渴望之情
to light in us a hunger for each other.
我的名字是希杨达·莫胡提瓦
My name is Siyanda Mohutsiwa,
我现在22岁
I’m 22 years old
从出生起就是泛非主义者
and I am Pan-Africanist by birth.
我说自己一出生就是泛非主义者
Now, I say I’m Pan-Africanist by birth
是因为我的父母来自 两个不同的非洲国家
because my parents are from two different African countries.
我的父亲来自一个非洲南部的国家 名叫博茨瓦纳
My father’s from a country called Botswana in southern Africa.
它只比德国稍大一点
It’s only slightly bigger than Germany.
今年我们庆祝了 祖国获得稳定民主50周年
This year we celebrate our 50th year of stable democracy.
而且它提出了不少进步的社会政策
And it has some very progressive social policies.
我的母亲祖国是斯威士兰王国
My mother’s country is the Kingdom of Swaziland.
它是个很小的国家 同样在非洲南部
It’s a very, very small country, also in southern Africa.
它是非洲最后一个完整的君主制国家
It is Africa’s last complete monarchy.
它由国王和皇室所统治
So it’s been ruled by a king and a royal family
和他们的传统一致
in line with their tradition,
这种制度实行了很长时间
for a very long time.
从表面上看 这两个国家看上去很不同
On paper, these countries seem very different.
当我是个孩子的时候 我就可以看到二者的差别
And when I was a kid, I could see the difference.
一个国家下雨下得很多 另一个国家下雨没那么多
It rained a lot in one country, it didn’t rain quite as much in the other.
但是除此之外 我并没有深刻意识到
But outside of that, I didn’t really realize
我的父母来自两个不同国家 这有多么重要吗?
why it mattered that my parents were from two different places.
但是随着时间推移 它对我产生了很特殊的影响
But it would go on to have a very peculiar effect on me.
要知道 我是出生在其中一个国家
You see, I was born in one country
但是在另一个国家长大
and raised in the other.
当我们搬家到博茨瓦纳
When we moved to Botswana,
我是个小孩儿 可以说流利的西斯瓦提语
I was a toddler who spoke fluent SiSwati
除此之外就没了
and nothing else.
我来到我的新家园
So I was being introduced to my new home,
接受新的文化身份
my new cultural identity,
完全是作为一个外来人
as a complete outsider,
我根本不能听懂对我所说的任何话
incapable of comprehending anything that was being said to me
而这个家庭、这个国家的传统 都是我必须要接受的
by the family and country whose traditions I was meant to move forward.
但是很快 我就抛弃了西斯瓦提语
But very soon, I would shed SiSwati.
当我每次回到斯威士兰的时候
And when I would go back to Swaziland,
我都会深切感受到自己变得多么“非斯威士兰”
I would be constantly confronted by how very non-Swazi I was becoming.
还要加上一点 我进入了非洲的私立学校系统
Add to that my entry into Africa’s private school system,
它的唯一目标就是把你的非洲特质去除掉
whose entire purpose is to beat the Africanness out of you,
正因如此 我度过了一个特别的青春期
and I would have a very peculiar adolescence.
然而我对个人身份研究的爱好 就是在这里产生的
But I think that my interest in ideas of identity was born here,
我处在一个奇怪的交叉路口 似乎同属于两个不同地方
in the strange intersection of belonging to two places at once
却又不真正属于其中任何一个
but not really belonging to either one very well
又好像更属于二者之间 空旷 虚无的空间
and belonging to this vast space in between and around simultaneously.
我对共同的非洲身份这个想法产生了浓厚的兴趣
I became obsessed with the idea of a shared African identity.
自此之后 我不断地阅读有关政治的文章
Since then, I have continued to read about politics
还有地理 身份认知 努力搞明白这些都意味着什么
and geography and identity and what all those things mean.
我同样对非洲哲学有着强烈的好奇心
I’ve also held on to a deep curiosity about African philosophies.
当我开始阅读的时候
When I began to read,
我特别倾向于阅读黑人学者的一些作品
I gravitated towards the works of black intellectuals
比如史蒂夫·比可和弗朗兹·法农
like Steve Biko and Frantz Fanon,
他们研究了复杂的话题
who tackled complex ideas
比如说去殖民化问题 还有黑人意识运动
like decolonization and black consciousness.
当时14岁的我觉得自己已经消化了这些宏大的想法
And when I thought, at 14, that I had digested these grand ideas,
我就转而研究非洲著名领导者的演讲
I moved on to the speeches of iconic African statesmen
比如说布基纳法索的托马斯·桑卡拉
like Burkina Faso’s Thomas Sankara
还有刚果的帕特里斯·鲁姆巴
and Congo’s Patrice Lumumba.
我阅读过了我能得到的所有的非洲小说
I read every piece of African fiction that I could get my hands on.
于是当推特出现时
So when Twitter came,
我就带着年轻女孩的热情欣然加入了其中
I hopped on with the enthusiasm of a teenage girl
我的朋友们早就对我乱七八糟的话题感到烦躁了
whose friends are super, super bored of hearing about all this random stuff.
那年是2011年
The year was 2011
那时整个非洲南部 甚至是整个大陆
and all over southern Africa and the whole continent,
都有了智能手机的流量包 还有网络冲浪资源
affordable data packages for smartphones and Internet surfing
这些都更容易获取了
became much easier to get.
所以对于我这一代人 我们在这个平台互相发消息
So my generation, we were sending messages to each other on this platform
只需要140个字符还有一丁点创意
that just needed 140 characters and a little bit of creativity.
在去上班的途中
On long commutes to work,
在我们本应集中精力听讲的课堂上
in lectures that some of us should have been paying attention to,
在我们的午休时间
on our lunch breaks,
我们尽可能多地交流
we would communicate as much as we could
讨论作为年轻人 非洲人 所要面对的日常现实
about the everyday realities of being young and African.
但是当然 这种奢侈不是所有人都能享受的
But of course, this luxury was not available to everybody.
所以这意味着 如果你是博茨瓦纳的一个十几岁女孩
So this meant that if you were a teenage girl in Botswana
你想在网上找点乐趣
and you wanted to have fun on the Internet,
首先 你得要用英语发推
one, you had to tweet in English.
其次你要关注更多人 不只是你所知的两三个能上网的人
Two, you had to follow more than just the three other people you knew online.
你要关注南非人 津巴布韦人 加纳人 尼日利亚人
You had to follow South Africans, Zimbabweans, Ghanaians, Nigerians.
突然 你的整个世界都打开了
And suddenly, your whole world opened up.
我的整个世界的确打开了
And my whole world did open up.
我关注了许多活跃的非洲人 他们环绕非洲大陆旅行
I followed vibrant Africans who were travelling around the continent,
他们给自己拍照
taking pictures of themselves
然后分享到推特上 标记了话题 #我的非洲
and posting them under the hashtag #myafrica.
因为在那个时候
Because at that time,
如果你在推特或者谷歌 或是其它社交媒体
if you were to search Africa on Twitter or on Google
搜索非洲的内容
or any kind of social media,
你觉得整个大陆 都是各种动物的图片
you would think that the entire continent was just pictures of animals
或者白人在度假村喝鸡尾酒的情景
and white guys drinking cocktails in hotel resorts.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
但是非洲人利用这个平台
But Africans were using this platform
在这些旅游信息中找寻某种意义上的归属感
to take some kind of ownership of the tourism sectors.
尼日利亚的海滩上 是非洲人自己在自拍
It was Africans taking selfies on the beaches of Nigeria.
内罗毕的鸡尾酒吧里 是非洲人自己在品酒
It was Africans in cocktail bars in Nairobi.
而在我自己的环大陆旅行中
And these were the same Africans that I began to meet
这些非洲人也正是我所遇到的人
in my own travels around the continent.
我们会讨论非洲文学 政治 经济政策
We would discuss African literature, politics, economic policy.
但是每次都不可避免的
But almost invariably, every single time,
就是讨论到推特
we would end up discussing Twitter.
那时我才发觉这真正的意义
And that’s when I realized what this was.
我们正处于一个伟大的事物之中
We were standing in the middle of something amazing,
因为历史上第一次
because for the first time ever
非洲的年轻人可以实时讨论我们大陆的未来
young Africans could discuss the future of our continent in real time,
而且没有国界 经济状况限制 也没有小心警惕的政府盯着
without the restriction of borders, finances and watchful governments.
因为并没什么人知道
Because the little known truth is
很多非洲人对其它非洲国家的了解
many Africans know a lot less about other African countries
其实少于一些西方人对整个非洲大陆的了解
than some Westerners might know about Africa as a whole.
这其实是个意外情况
This is by accident,
但是有时 这都是设计好的
but sometimes, it’s by design.
例如说 在种族隔离政策下的南非
For example, in apartheid South Africa,
南非黑人要持续地接受一种暗示
black South Africans were constantly being bombarded
就是任何被黑人统治的国家
with this message that any country ruled by black people
都是注定要失败的
was destined for failure.
这么做是为了说服他们
And this was done to convince them
他们生活在一个受白人压迫统治的社会
that they were much better off under crushing white rule
比一个黑人统治的自由社会要更好
than they were living in a black and free nation.
再提一提非洲过时的殖民性教育系统
Add to that Africa’s colonial, archaic education system,
它被人不经思考地从20世纪20年代带到现在
which has been unthinkingly carried over from the 1920s —
在我15岁的时候 我就可以背出
and at the age of 15, I could name all the various causes
欧洲过去200年里所有战争发生的原因
of the wars that had happened in Europe in the past 200 years,
但是我连我的邻国的总统名字都不知道
but I couldn’t name the president of my neighboring country.
对我来说这简直无比荒谬
And to me, this doesn’t make any sense
因为不管我们喜不喜欢如此
because whether we like it or not,
非洲人民的命运是紧紧交织的
the fates of African people are deeply intertwined.
当灾难来袭时 当骚乱发生时
When disaster hits, when turmoil hits,
结果由我们所共享
we share the consequences.
当布隆迪人逃脱政治骚乱时
When Burundians flee political turmoil,
他们寻求我们的帮助
they go to us,
寻求其它非洲国家的帮助
to other African countries.
全世界大规模的难民中心 非洲占了六个
Africa has six of the world’s largest refugee centers.
曾经的一个布隆迪问题
What was once a Burundian problem
变成了整个非洲的问题
becomes an African problem.
所以对我来说 没有什么“苏丹问题”
So to me, there are no Sudanese problems
没有“南非问题” “肯尼亚问题”
or South African problems or Kenyan problems,
只有“非洲问题”
only African problems
因为最终 我们要共同度过灾难
because eventually, we share the turmoil.
所以 如果我们共享这些问题
So if we share the problems,
为什么我们没有更好地共享我们的成功呢?
why aren’t we doing a better job of sharing the successes?
我们怎么能做到呢?
How can we do that?
从长远来看
Well, in the long term,
我们可以努力增加非洲国家之间的贸易额
we can shoot towards increasing inter-African trade,
消除国界差异 然后给各国领导者施压
removing borders and putting pressure on leaders
让他们努力完成他们签署的地区协定
to fulfill regional agreements they’ve already signed.
但是我认为非洲分享成功的最重要的方法
But I think that the biggest way for Africa to share its successes
就是促进一种我称为“社交泛非主义”的思想
is to foster something I like to call social Pan-Africanism.
目前 政治上的泛非主义已经存在
Now, political Pan-Africanism already exists,
所以我并不是在发明什么全新的东西
so I’m not inventing anything totally new here.
但是政治泛非主义
But political Pan-Africanism
一般指的是非洲政治精英的合作
is usually the African unity of the political elite.
这又对谁有好处呢?
And who does that benefit?
几乎只对非洲领导人有好处吧
Well, African leaders, almost exclusively.
不 我在讨论的
No, what I’m talking about
是普通非洲人的泛非主义
is the Pan-Africanism of the ordinary African.
像我这样的非洲年轻人
Young Africans like me,
我们充满了创造的能量
we are bursting with creative energy,
富有创新的想法
with innovative ideas.
但是糟糕的统治和不靠谱的制度
But with bad governance and shaky institutions,
会让这种潜能全部白费
all of this potential could go to waste.
在这个大陆上 大把的领导人
On a continent where more than a handful of leaders
持有权力的时间比
have been in power longer
大多数人活着的时间都长
than the majority of the populations has been alive,
我们极度渴望一些新鲜血液
we are in desperate need of something new,
一些有实效的东西
something that works.
而我认为 这种东西就是社交泛非主义
And I think that thing is social Pan-Africanism.
我的梦想是非洲的年轻人
My dream is that young Africans
不再受国界和个人处境所限制 我们的创造力不被其扼杀
stop allowing borders and circumstance to suffocate our innovation.
我的梦想是 当非洲年轻人产生了一个新颖的想法时
My dream is that when a young African comes up with something brilliant,
不会被人嘲讽“这想法不可能在我们国家实现的”
they don’t say, “Well, this wouldn’t work in my country,”
然后就此放弃
and then give up.
我的梦想 是非洲年轻人逐渐开始意识到
My dream is that young Africans begin to realize
整个大陆都是我们的画板 是我们共同的家园
that the entire continent is our canvas, is our home.
利用因特网 我们开始用合作方式思考
Using the Internet, we can begin to think collaboratively,
我们可以共同开拓创新
we can begin to innovate together.
在非洲 我们常说 “你想走快些 就得自己走
In Africa, we say, “If you want to go fast, you go alone,
你想走远些 就得一起走”
but if you want to go far, you go together.”
我相信社交泛非主义就是我们可以一起走远的道路
And I believe that social Pan-Africanism is how we can go far together.
而且这已经在发生了
And this is already happening.
非洲年轻人接触到了在线网络
Access to these online networks has given young Africans
获得了一种曾经要武力夺取的东西:自由之声
something we’ve always had to violently take: a voice.
我们现在拥有一个平台
We now have a platform.
在此之前 你如果想了解非洲青少年的状况
Before now, if you wanted to hear from the youth in Africa,
你要等那个65岁的青年部长——
you waited for the 65-year-old minister of youth —
(笑声)
(Laughter)
早上从床上爬起来
to wake up in the morning,
吃了他的胃药
take his heartburn medication
然后再告诉你他对你们这一代人
and then tell you the plans he has for your generation
在未来20年里有什么计划
in 20 years time.
在此之前 如果你想你的声音被专制的政府听见
Before now, if you wanted to be heard by your possibly tyrannical government,
你就被逼着去游行 还要承受可能的后果
you were pushed to protest, suffer the consequences
还得交叉手指默默祈祷
and have your fingers crossed
希望某家西方的媒体会做些报道 吸引某些人的关注
that some Western paper somewhere might make someone care.
但是现在 我们有机会互相支持
But now we have opportunities to back each other up
而且以一种前所未有的方式
in ways we never could before.
我们支持南非的学生
We support South African students
他们正在游行反抗价格高得离谱的高等教育
who are marching against ridiculously high tertiary fees.
我们支持津巴布韦的女性 她们反抗国家的议会
We support Zimbabwean women who are marching to parliament.
我们支持安哥拉的记者 他们被人非法扣押
We support Angolan journalists who are being illegally detained.
有史以来第一次
For the first time ever,
非洲的痛楚 非洲的理想
African pain and African aspiration
能被那些
has the ability to be witnessed
最能理解这种想法的人看见
by those who can empathize with it the most:
非洲的其他同胞
other Africans.
我相信 利用社交泛非主义的思维方式
I believe that with a social Pan-Africanist thinking
并且借助网络工具的力量
and using the Internet as a tool,
我们可以开始拯救他人
we can begin to rescue each other,
最终 拯救我们自己
and ultimately, to rescue ourselves.
谢谢
Thank you.
(掌声)
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

在推特上倾听年轻非洲人的声音 她在推特上发起了#如果非洲是一个酒吧#而成为热点话题 这个女孩致力于非洲的崛起

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

D.M.

审核员

赖皮

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jggHw5PdQV0

相关推荐