这里是“激励胶囊”
Improvement Pill here.
欢迎收看《自我驯服》第八节课
Welcome to lesson #8 of the Tamed Course.
先前课程中 我们探讨了习惯的运作
In the previous lessons we learned about how habits worked,
接着 你们选了一个习惯
then you picked out a habit to build
以在接下来的几个月内养成
over the course of the next couple of months,
之后我们谈到了意志力 它的运作
and then we started talking about willpower, how that works
以及如何更有效地运用意志力
and how we can become more efficient with the way we spend our willpower.
如果你还没看过上述视频
If you have not watched any of those videos just,
我极力建议你现在就暂停视频
I highly suggest you pause this video right now,
点击下方简介的链接
and click on the link in the description below,
进入《自我驯服》列表
which will bring you to a playlist
里头的视频都是按时间顺序排好的
with all the Tamed Lessons in chronological order.
因为要想改变你的生活
Because If you really want to change your life
把坏习惯全改掉
and get rid of those bad habits,
你就要认真对待这门课程
you need to take this course seriously.
意思是说 你要坚持把所有视频都看完
This means watching all the videos and making sure that you watch them to the very end.
我们现在知道
We now know that our levels of willpower
意志力会被一整天的各种事情消耗掉
are drained throughout the day due to a variety of things.
致使我们陷入自我消耗状态
This can cause us to enter a state of ego depletion
如此一来 我们很容易变得冲动
where it becomes super easy to become impulsive
而且好习惯也坚持不下来
and slack off on our good habits.
所以 千万不要在这个状态停留太久
So it’s crucial to avoid staying in this state for too long.
这样就带来了一个问题
And that brings up the question, well,
我们要怎样补充意志力
how in the world do we recharge our levels of willpower,
以便在进入“自我消耗”状态后
so that if we ever enter a state of ego depletion,
可以脱离这个状态?
we can get out of it?
我想 以这项研究开始这节课 再恰当不过了
I think the best way to start off this lesson is by looking at a study
研究由乔纳森·勒瓦弗教授在哥伦比亚大学进行
that was conducted at Columbia University by Professor Jonathan Levav.
他的团队研究了假释委员会的上千个案例
His team looked at over a thousand cases of judges who worked on the parole board.
这些法官必须决定囚犯应不应该获释
These judges had to decide whether or not a prisoner should be released to the public.
研究人员注意到一件很有趣的事
The researchers noticed something very interesting.
一个囚犯能否获得假释的最大因素
The biggest indicator of whether or not a prisoner was granted parole
不是他们所犯罪行的类型
was not the type of crimes they committed,
也不是他们已经度过的刑期
the amount of years they already served,
甚至也不是他们在狱中的表现
or even how good-mannered they were in prison.
而是他们几点钟上庭
It was actually just the time of day they showed up in court.
研究发现 在早晨上庭的囚犯
The study found that prisoners who appeared early in the morning
获准假释的机会最高 概率是65%
had the highest chance of approval – a 65% chance.
但是随着时间流逝 获准假释机率逐渐降低
However, as the day went on these rates of approval would decline.
机率下滑幅度非常之大
This decline was so significant
以至于到了将近午饭时间
that prisoners who appeared later in the morning right before lunch time
囚犯获准假释的机会只有20%
only had a 20% chance of getting approved.
为什么呢?
Why is this?
原因是 法官每次下判的时候
Well it’s because each time the judge makes a decision
都会用掉一些意志力
he uses up some of his willpower.
这叫做“决策疲劳”
This is called “decision fatigue”,
我们在上节课就深入讨论过了
which we discussed in depth in our previous lesson.
随着法官的意志力被消耗掉
As the judges’ level of willpower drops
法官要下判就变得越来越难了
it becomes harder and harder for him or her to make these decisions.
于是法官会直接驳回获释请求
So the judges would simply deny the request for parole
因为这样做比较安全 对吧
as it was the safer option, right?
因为作为法官
Because if you’re a judge,
如果不确定正确决定是什么
and you’re not sure what the right decision is,
让囚犯继续坐牢 总比释放来得保险
it’s safer to keep the prisoner in jail than to let them out.
法官大概中午就会去吃午餐
Around noon the judges would go on a lunch break.
法官回到庭上之后
When he returned, all of a sudden the rate of approval
获准率会突然回升到约60%
would spike back up to around 60%.
这项研究表明 只要能够补充意志力
This study shows us just how much of a difference we can make
我们的行为就会很不同
if we recharge our levels of willpower.
补充意志力的方法有两种
And the way we do it all comes down to two things
法官在短短午餐时间内都有做到
the judges did during their short lunch break.
第一件就是吃东西
The first is by eating food.
众所周知 人体需要食物才能运作
We all know that our body needs food in order to function.
所以食物会直接影响意志力
So it’s no surprise that it has a direct effect
其实一点都不意外
on our levels of willpower.
但是我们总不能乱吃零食和糖果
But we can’t just stuff ourselves with junk food or sweets
然后期望意志力恢复过来
and expect to feel great after.
2007年 研究人员对一大群高中生进行了研究
A study was conducted on a large group of high school students in 2007.
研究人员把他们分为三组
The researchers split the students into 3 groups.
第一组得到一份低升糖指数的早餐
The first group was given a low-glycemic breakfast
其中包含了鸡蛋 西柚等食物
which included foods like eggs and grapefruit.
你可能不知道升糖指数是什么
For those of you that don’t know what the glycemic index is,
它衡量的是食物对血糖的影响
it’s basically the effect a food has on your blood glucose levels.
一种食物的升糖指数越低
The lower a food’s glycemic index is,
它造成的血糖升高就越缓慢
the slower it raises your blood glucose level.
第二组得到一份高升糖指数的早餐
Ok so, the second group was given a high-glycemic breakfast,
比如玛芬蛋糕 果酱馅饼等食物
so foods like muffins and pop-tarts.
第三组也就是最后一组是对照组
The third and final group was the control group
他们被指示完全不吃早餐
and they were told to completely skip breakfast altogether.
之后 研究人员要求老师们
Then the researchers asked the teachers
在不知道学生早餐吃什么的情况下
who did not know what their students had for breakfast
在早上8点到10点半的上午课上
to rate each of their students during their morning classes
对每一位学生的表现进行评分
which lasted from about 8:00 AM to 10:30 AM.
评估内容是学生的学术表现
The students were rated on their academic performance,
比如 学生上课时的专注程度
which included things like how focused they were during class,
以及他们的表现
and how well behaved they were.
吃低升糖指数早餐的学生表现优异
The students who had the low-glycemic breakfast did very well.
几乎所有人整个早上的学术表现都得到高分
Almost all of them scored high on their academic performance for the entire morning.
吃高升糖指数早餐的学生
The students who had a high-glycemic breakfast
在上课的第一个小时表现良好
did well during the first hour of class.
却在大约早上9点之后开始分心
But after around 9:00 AM they started to lose their focus
而他们的学术表现也变差了
and their academic performance dropped.
不吃早餐的学生表现得最差
The students who skipped breakfast did the worst.
他们的专注力非常低
They had an extremely hard time paying attention
而且还会捣乱
and were very, very disruptive.
三组学生中 他们的学术表现分数最低
They had the lowest academic performance score of all three groups.
这项研究表明了什么呢?
So what does this study show us?
这项研究告诉我们
Well it shows us that there’s a connection
血糖和意志力是相关联的
between our blood glucose levels and our levels of willpower.
要知道 我们的大脑需要葡萄糖才能操作
See our brains actually need glucose in order to operate.
但玛芬蛋糕等高升糖指数的食物消化过快
But high-glycemic foods like muffins are digested very, very fast.
导致大脑短时间内获取到大量能量
So for a short period of time you’ll have a lot of fuel for your brain,
但是这些能量很快就会用尽
but soon after this fuel runs out.
因此 吃到高升糖指数早餐的学生
And this is why the students who ate high-glycemic foods for breakfast
过了早上九点 表现就会变差
stopped performing well after 9:00AM.
因为大脑的能量用完了
because they no longer had fuel for their brain.
没了能量 意志力也无法补充
Without fuel, you can’t recharge your willpower.
相比之下 鸡蛋等低升糖指数食物消化得更慢
On the other hand, low-glycemic foods like eggs take much longer to digest.
所以血糖的升高比较稳定
And because of this they provide a steady increase
而且可以长时间维持下去
in blood glucose levels but for a long period of time.
吃到低升糖指数早餐的学生
The students who ate a low-glycemic breakfast
整个早上都获得能量
received fuel all morning,
因此能够维持意志力水平 取得良好表现
and because of this, they were able to maintain their levels of willpower and perform well.
完全不吃早餐的学生缺乏能量
The students who completely skipped breakfast had no fuel,
因此表现也最差
and because of this, they performed the worst.
有趣的是 上午课结束后
Interestingly enough, after the morning classes,
三组学生都吃到了同样的午餐
all 3 groups were given the same meal for lunch.
结果到了下午班 老师对学生进行评估后
The teachers then reported no difference in academic performance
三组学生的学术表现评分都一样
between the 3 groups for the afternoon classes.
所以要想补充意志力
So if you want to recharge your levels of willpower,
最好摄取低升糖指数食物
it’s best to eat low-glycemic foods
比如肉类 蔬菜 坚果 甚至某些水果
like meats, veggies, nuts, or even certain fruits.
补充意志力的第二个方法
The next way we can recharge our levels of willpower
就是改变大脑的运作模式
is by switching our brain’s mode.
应付决策疲劳或者进行思考的时候
When we have to deal with things like decision fatigue or mental processes
我们的大脑就会进入“思考模式”
our brain is on something called “Thinking Mode”.
在这一模式中 意志力不断被消耗掉
In this mode our levels of willpower are being constantly drained.
就好像用手机看视频时电量被消耗掉一样
Kind of like the battery levels on your phone when you’re watching videos.
意志力消耗速度同样很快
Like, it goes down pretty fast.
若要有效地补充意志力
In order for us to effectively recharge our levels of willpower
我们就要让大脑转移到所谓的“待机模式”
we have to switch our brain to what’s called “Standby Mode”.
这跟关机充电是一样的道理
This is equivalent to turning your phone off and allowing it to charge.
众所周知 若要让手机充电得更快
And as we all know our phones charge significantly faster
就不要一边用手机一边充电
if we’re not using them at the same time.
在“待机模式”时 不要做艰难的决定
When you’re in Standby Mode, you’re not making any tough decisions,
也不要深入思考
and you’re not thinking hard about anything.
你是在让大脑自由游走
You’re allowing your mind to wander naturally
享受周围的一切事物
and you’re enjoying the things around you.
比如说 进入“待机模式”的一个好方法
For example, a great way to enter Standby Mode
就是出门散步
is to go out for a short walk.
出外散步的时候
When you go out for a walk
周围风景一下子进入视线
you’re suddenly surrounded by a bunch of other things.
你可以望着树木 听鸟儿唱歌
There’s trees to look at, there’s birds to listen to,
让自己脱离手头的工作
and you allow yourself to take a break
好好休息一下
from all the work you’ve been doing.
研究表明 只需出外散步5到10分钟
Studies have actually shown that walking around the block for just 5 to 10 minutes
大脑就有了足够时间 补充大量意志力
gives our brain enough time to recharge a significant amount of willpower.
进入“待机模式” 还有数不尽的方法
Now there are countless other ways you can enter Standby Mode.
要用什么方法 随便你选
So it’s really up to you to decide what you want to do.
我在工作的时候
Personally, when I work,
每次会连续工作约2到3个小时
I tend to work for about 2-3 hours at a time.
我一旦觉得意志力消耗得差不多了
When I feel like I’ve drained a decent amount of willpower,
就会关闭“思考模式”
I’ll switch off Thinking Mode
我会上YouTube看一些有趣的视频
by watching some entertaining YouTube videos
或者上Netflix看一集连续剧
or an episode of a Netflix series
或者直接跟一些朋友聊天
or even just chatting with some of my friends.
过了30分钟左右
After about 30 minutes of this,
我的意志力自然就会恢复
my willpower levels will naturally recharge,
让我再次投入工作
and I’ll return to my work.
如果你思绪太过活跃
If you’re someone who thinks way too much,
总是脱离不了“思考模式”
and you have a hard time switching off Thinking Mode,
而且总是放松不下来
you have a hard time relaxing,
我的建议就是学会冥想
I suggest you look into the habit of meditation.
实际上 冥想很有可能
In fact there’s a very high chance
就是最适合你的核心习惯
that meditation would be the best keystone habit for you.
这是因为 一旦养成了冥想的习惯
This is because if you get into the habit of meditating,
你将更能静下心来 把思维控制住
your ability to quiet your mind and control your thoughts will improve dramatically.
我有一些关于冥想的好处和做法的视频
I have a couple of videos on meditation, its benefits, and how to do it,
链接就在下方简介中
which I will link to in the description below.
第三个也是最后一个补充意志力的方法
The third and final way we can recharge our levels of willpower
也是最重要的方法
is also the most important.
那就是 睡眠要充足
And that’s by getting proper sleep.
我们睡觉的时候 很多事情会发生
When we sleep, a variety of things happen.
首先 大脑可以长时间脱离“思考模式”
For one, we allow our brain to switch off Thinking Mode for an extended period of time,
这让我们的意志力得以完全补充
which allows our willpower to completely recharge.
你可能会想
Some of you are probably thinking, well,
睡觉怎么补充意志力?
how is our willpower recharging?
我们睡觉时都不吃东西
If we’re not eating anything while we’re asleep,
哪来的葡萄糖为大脑提供能量?
how do we get that glucose that fuels our brain?
实际上 我们睡觉的时候
Well it’s actually because when we’re asleep
大脑对葡萄糖的需要就少了很多
our brain requires significantly less glucose
而人体也会更有效地使用
and our body also becomes more efficient
血液中的葡萄糖
with the glucose that’s already in our blood stream.
所以你晚上不必吃东西 也能补充意志力
So you don’t have to eat anything at night to recharge your willpower.
有趣的是 一旦睡眠不足
What’s interesting is that if you don’t get enough sleep
人体处理葡萄糖的能力就会减弱
your body’s ability to process glucose gets impaired.
因此 要是前一晚睡得不够
Which explains why most people tend to perform terribly
大多数人的习惯
when it comes to sticking to their habits
就很难维持得了
if they don’t get enough sleep the previous night.
总结一下
So to sum it all up,
补充意志力有三个方法
there’s three things you can do to recharge your levels of willpower.
用餐时要多吃低升糖指数食物 比如肉类 蔬菜
You should eat a lot of low-glycemic foods for your meals like meats and veggies
少吃高升糖指数食物 比如松饼 华夫饼
instead of high-glycemic foods like waffles and pancakes.
陷入自我消耗状态时应该放松
You should relax when you feel yourself entering a state of ego depletion
关掉“思考模式” 进入“待用模式”
by turning off Thinking Mode and entering Standby Mode.
最重要的是 晚上一定要好好休息
And most importantly, you must get a good night’s rest.
有件事要讲清楚
I do want to clarify one thing.
我们今天只讲到了人体补充意志力的生物学机制
What we covered today was just the biological ways our body recharges our willpower.
长久以来 人们一直以为
For quite some time now it was believed
人类一整天的意志力
that these accounted for the majority of the willpower
主要是靠这些
we have throughout the day.
但是近期研究指出
But recent studies point to the fact
发挥最大影响的其实是我们的思维
that the biggest influence is actually what goes on in our head,
也就是我们对意志力和动力的看法
how we view willpower and our motivations.
这些心理因素对意志力的影响
These psychological factors may actually have
说不定比生物学因素还要大
more of an influence on our levels of willpower than these biological factors.
我们将会在下一节课讨论这些心理因素
So we will discuss these psychological factors in our nextlesson.
《自我驯服》课程由本频道赞助人的捐助下制作
The Tamed Course was brought to you with the help of the patrons of this channel.
如果这个课程让你获益
If you’ve gained some value from this course
希望你也能当赞助人 我将感激不尽
it’d mean a lot to me if you could become a patron too.
您资助的每一块钱
Each and every single dollar allows me to
让我能够完全免费地继续制作这类内容
continue to make this sort of content for absolutely free.
我要衷心地感谢那些决定支持我的人
For those of you that decide to support, I am truly grateful.
视频到此结束 请继续关注我们
Besides that guys, stay tuned!
