未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

想博览群书,可值得读的书该怎么找?

How to Find Books That are Actually Worth Your Time

有一个有趣的问题
Here’s an interesting question.
如果你把所有的书摆出来
Given all the books out there,
你怎么知道该读哪本呢?
how do you know what to read?
换句话说
Or to rephrase that,
怎么避免读到只会浪费时间的
how do you avoid the bad or mediocre books
糟糕平庸的书?
that just waste your time?
这就是接下来要在这个视频中
Well that is what we are going to try
尝试回答的问题 不过我想
to answer in this video, though I think
我们首先需要一个更合适的布景
we need a more fitting set first.
请等我一下
Give me a second.
[音乐声] 好的
(upbeat music) Alright,
好多了
that’s better.
过去针对这个问题就
So I’ve gotten a lot of questions
有很多人问我
on this particular subject in the past,
但我现在就说
but I’m just gon na go ahead
最近的一条吧
and read the most recent one for you.
“我迫切需要有个视频就如何有效地形成
I desperately need a videoabout how to efficiently develop
一份阅读清单 以免偶然发现不好的书
a reading list that saves youfrom stumbling upon bad books,
致使你抛弃整个某类型的书
which may put you off a whole genre.
“我还想知道如何
I’d also like to know how to read
在千百种不同门类的书中阅读更多的书籍以及如何
more books in more diverse categories and how to
避免转为看随便听到的书
avoid abandoning the older items on my list
而放弃清单上过去列明的书籍”
for a random book that I just heard of.
我现在想谨慎回答
Now I do want to be a bit
这个话题
careful with this topic, because when I
因为回想那些我读过的
think back to some of the best books
不错的书
I’ve ever read,
它们曾是在图书馆书架上随意抽出来的书
they’ve been things that I’ve just randomly picked off the library shelf
或是某个朋友给的
or was given to by a friend,
我不希望你避开那些偶然的场合
and I don’t want you to avoid those serendipitous occasions.
但考虑出世界各地出版社和因特网
But given the absolute tirade of content
非常冗长的目录
that comes out of thepublishing houses of the world
为了帮助你
and the internet, in the interest of helping
把那里所有的选项分门别类
you triage all the options out there, I
我想要给大家一些建议
want to give you some recommendations for how to
帮你找到某类型里最好的书
find the best books in a particular genre,
避免时间浪费在糟糕
and avoid wasting yourtimes on the bad ones
或平庸
or the mediocre ones,
或是那些只为
or the ones that are just kind
获得销售价值
of padded out for sales value
的书籍上
if nothing else.
还有我想先说下
And the first thing we’re gon na talk
我最喜欢的网址之一
about is one of my favorite websites in the world,
它就是GoodReads.com
which is GoodReads.com.
我注册Good Reads已经很久了
I’ve been on Good Readsfor quite a long time,
在推荐书单上发现了许多我喜欢的书
and I found many of my favorite books
我强烈推荐大家去查看这些书单
in Good Reads recommendation lists which I would highly recommend checking out.
比如一直喜欢的纪实文学之一
For instance, one of my favorite nonfiction books
比尔·布莱森的
of all time, Bill Bryson’s” A
《万物简史》
Short History of Nearly Everything”,
在所有Good Read最佳纪实文学
was right near the top
书单中都是位于推荐榜首
of one of Good Read’s best nonfiction of all time lists,
我也是在这发现它的
and that’s actually where I found it.
除了推荐书单外,它的还有其他用处
And Good Reads is useful for other things besides just its list feature.
如果你在巴诺书店
If you do see a book
或其他书店图书馆
on a shelf at Barnes and Noble
看到某本书
or some bookstore or a library and you’re
但不确定是否要读
not sure whether or not to read it,
Good Reads上有非常详细的书评
the reviews on Good Reads can be highly detailed
可以很好地分类书籍
and can be very goodways to triage the books
你可以找出书单上的优先级
you have on your list to figure out what you should prioritize,
实际上 许多作家
and a lot of authors actually have
在Good Reads有非常详细的介绍
very active Good Reads profiles.
帕特里克·罗斯福斯所著的《风之名》
In fact, Patrick Rothfuss, whowrote”The Name of the Wind”,
一直是
which is one
我最喜欢的五本小说之一
of my top five fiction novels of all time
这本书的书评简直多的难以置信
has an incredibly long review history,
过去我精读过许多遍
which I have perusedmany times in the past,
有天我就是随意地浏览
and one day when I was justcasually scrolling through it,
发现一本获得五星好评的小说
I saw that he had written a five star review for a fiction book,
书名叫《环游精灵国度的女孩
called” The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland
九月的奇幻冒险》
“in a Ship of Her Own Making”,
于是我拿起这本书 开始读
so I picked this up, read it,
即使这是一本青少年小说
and even though it’s kind of a YA novel,
我发现这真是本好书
I found it to be a really good read.
总之Good Reads能提供一个巨大的数据库
So in short, Good Reads givesyou an extensive database
里面有各种不同类型书籍的书单
of lists of all different types of genres.
我在它们书单上找到赛博朋克小说
I mean I’ve found cyberpunk novels on their lists,
书单上列有黑客历史和犯罪历史
I’ve found hacker history and crime history stuff on their lists,
所以不管什么书都可能找到一份书单
so whatever it is, you can probably find a list about it.
它拥有巨大的用户群体
It also has a huge user base so there’s lots
所以多数书有众多书评
of reviews for most books out there,
你可以利用在这平台上很活跃的
and you can use the review histories of lots of your favorite
心仪作家的历史书评来发现些
authors who are active on the platform to find new books that
他们喜欢 你也喜欢的书
they liked and which you may like as well.
另外种搞明白一本书值不值得
Now another great way to figure out whether or not a
你花时间的方式 是看它的摘要
book is worth your time is to read a summary of it,
其实互联网上有几个资源
and there are actually several resources on the internet
你可以在网上找到大量的书籍摘要
that you can go to to find lots and lots of book summaries.
这里我给你推荐几个
I’m gon na give you a few recommendations here,
先介绍免费 然后再一些
starting with the free ones and then moving on to some
付费的
that do cost money.
免费的话
So in the free category,
我给你指两种都是个人运营的不同网站
I want to point you towards two different websites which are each run by people
我对这些人
that I have a lot
非常尊敬并且已经用了很长时间了
of respect for and who I’ve been following for a long time.
首先也最重要的是德雷克·西弗斯的网站
First and foremost, there’sthe website of Derek Sivers,
他创建了CD Baby公司
who founded the company CD Baby, which
如果你在声破天上听过任何音乐
if you have any music on Spotify or
或你认识的任何独立艺术家
you know anybody who is an independent artist
并且在声破天 苹果 iTunes上听过他们的音乐
and has their music onSpotify or Apple or iTunes,
很可能是通过CD Baby推荐的 他们是行业内官方指南
they probably went through CD Baby, they’re kind of the OG in this industry, and since then,
德雷克卖了这家公司
Derek has sold the company
自那之后他花了
and spent a lot of his intervening time
很多时间在
between now and then
阅读 写书评和做笔记
reading and reviewing and taking notes,
在很多书上做了非常详细的笔记
really detailed notesactually, on a lot of books.
所以如果你去浏览他的网站
So if you go over to his website,
我相信在Sivers.org/books上
which is I believe Sivers.org/books,
你会找到许多笔记和
you’re gonna find a hugelist of book reviews
摘要的书评
with lots of notes and summaries, which can be
这是种非常好的方法去了解
a very good way to figure out whether or not
一本书是否值得阅读
a book is actually worth picking up.
与上面类似的有
And along the same lines,
我朋友Nat Ellingson在他的网址上
my friend Nat Ellingson has another very long
也有份长且非常详细的笔记页面
and very detailed booknotes page on his website,
我暂时想不起网址
which I’ll have linked in the description
但我会在描述下放链接
below because I can’t think of the URL right now.
接下来给大家分享付费的
And that brings us overto the paid options,
其中一个是NewBooksinBrief.com
one of which is NewBooksinBrief.com,
我猜测它就是
which I believe is just run
某个家伙一边读书
by one guy who reads books
然后写非常详细的摘要
and then writes verydetailed summaries of them.
在那个网站上你可以免费获得
Now on that site you can actually get
每份摘要的第一部分
access to the first part of each summary for free,
如果你想继续访问就购买它们
and then afterwards I thinkit’s about $3 bucks per summary
之后每份大概是3美元
if you want to just buy them and get access to them.
我用过另一个叫Blinkist的资源
And another resource that I’ve used in the past is called Blinkist.
与New Books in Brief不同的是
Now in contrast to New Books in Brief which operates on a
它原则上按照个人意愿想买几份来计算的
pay as you go basis, you basically buy each summary as
而Blinkist采取订阅模式
you want it, Blinkist operates on a subscription model.
所以对那种想贪读
So if you’re the kind of person that wants
大量摘要的人来说
to devour lots and lots of summaries, it can
是个不错的选择
be a very good option for you.
说到书籍摘要
Now I do want to give you one word of
我想给你句提醒
warning when it comes to book summaries, because reading
阅读摘要就像借了朋友笔记
them is much like getting the notes from your friend
而没有真的去上课
instead of actually going to class.
你拿到的是原始资料的二手资料
You’re getting a second handaccount of the source material,
快速浏览这样的资料是可以的
and that can be good forgetting through that material
至少有些人认为这是资料中
quickly and seeing what atleast somebody else believes
最重要的一点
is the most importantpoints from that material,
但你自己无法真的去理解
but you’re not taking it in yourself.
可能有些内容更能产生共鸣
So there may be things that would have resonated better
而别人的描述中却没有
with you that are just omitted from their account.
从朋友那得到笔记的例子
And that example ofgetting notes from a friend
让我得到了额外的提示
actually brings to mindone additional tip,
那就是跟喜欢读书的人交朋友
which is to make friends who like to read lots and lots
你能得到很多推荐
of books from which you can get lots of recommendations.
视频前段我提过
Earlier in the video, I mentioned the book
帕特里克·罗斯福斯的《风之名》
“The Name of the Wind”by Patrick Rothfuss,
我读过这本书的原因是
and the only reason I ever read that book
一个朋友强行推荐我
is because a friend of mine basically shoved the book
告诉我必须看它
into my hands and told me that I had to read it.
当人们推荐书籍给我时 我想
Now usually when people recommend books to me, I think well,
我Good Reads书单已经很长了
my Good Reads list is already so long,
比起这本 我有很多的书想读
I’ve already got so many books that I wan na
所以我永远也读不到它
read before this so I’m never gon na get to it,
但在那种情况下我还是看了
but in that case, I read the book,
我把别的书都往后挪了
I put everything else on the back burner, and
我并不后悔这么做
I do not regret doing that at all.
那本书太棒了
That book was amazing.
这让我想起这个人在疑问中提到的
And that brings me to something that this person mentioned in their question.
想知道如何避免放弃之前的
They wanna know how to avoidabandoning the order items
必读书目
on their to be read list,
或TBR 如果你在Book Tube圈子里
or the TBR if you’re in the Book Tube circles,
赞成随便拿起人们
in favor of taking up random books
向你推荐的书或在书架上
that people just recommendto you in the moment
让你大开眼界的书
or that catch your eye on the bookshelf.
说实话 我不觉得这是一个问题
And quite honestly, I don’tthink this is a problem. Yeah,
你可能想要在某个时候
you probably want to
阅读你TBR上的书籍
get to the books on your TBR
他们非常有趣
at some point, they’re interesting,
但仅仅因为他们
but just because they made it
作为一本新书出现在你的书单上
onto your list for a new book
不意味着它们会对你的生活
doesn’t mean that they’re gon na have a greater impact
产生比一本新书更大的影响
on your life than a new book will.
正如我们在本视频和过去
As we’ve talked about on this channel and
很多次所谈论到的
a lot of times in the past, the
学习最重要的要素是兴趣
greatest ingredient to learning is interest.
所以如果吸引你的注意
So if something catches your eye and you’re
让你有兴趣的 别推开
interested in it, don’t shove that away
你觉得你要先看什么书
because you think you need to get through something
而不得不将书单的书往后挪
that was further down your list first.
那就跟随兴趣 让它指引你
Follow your interest and let it guide you.
事实上 当我正思考这个时
In fact, while I’m thinking about it,
马丁 你其实把必读清单都空了吧?
Martin you actually deleted your entire to be read list, right?
– [马丁] 是的
– [Martin] Yes.
-对 所以就这么做吧
– Yeah, so there you go.
让我们继续着视频
Now to round this video out, I do
面对选择那么多的各种书籍
wan na offer a few more pieces of advice
我确实想根据自己的
from my own experience regarding reading books
阅读经历多提供些建议
and having a lot of choices and all that kind of stuff.
首先 不要坚持读完一本糟糕的书
Number one, don’t finish a bad book. Remember,
如果你读书
the goal,
是有目的的 记住这个目的
if there is a goal to reading a book,
不是翻过最后一页就吹嘘你看完了
is not to turn the final page and be able to say that you did it,
或是能在你的
or be able to check it off
Good Reads简历上打钩
on your Good Reads profile,
读书是获取有用的知识
it’s to get something useful
或享受阅读过程
out of the book or to enjoy reading it.
你可能在网上见过
You’ve probably seen allthese people on the internet
一些人说他们如何
talking about how they read a
每天或每周看一本书
book a day or a book a week
说这种做法如何改变他们的生活
and how it changed their life, but to be honest,
但说实话书的数目
the number of books you read
并不是值得追踪的计量单位
is not a metric that’s worth tracking.
这可能有趣
I mean it can be fun, but it
但最终看来从书中
‘s what you get out of those books that
所获的东西才是最重要的
really matters at the end of the day.
所以如果你开始阅读一本书
So if you pick up a book and you start
阅读过程中觉得
reading it and then halfway through you think this is
是浪费时间 那就放弃
a waste of my time, then put it down,
别读完糟糕的书
don’t finish bad books. Remember,
如果你真的为它付了钱
your time is more valuable than
记得你的时间比你为
what you paid for the book, if
它付出的更有价值
indeed you paid for it at all.
针对那条建议加个警告
But as a caveat to that tip,
不要过度只阅读
don’t be overly concerned with
那些最佳推荐上面有的书
reading the best quoteunquote books out there,
因为最佳书籍也只是
because the best books are just the books
别人认同的最佳
that other people say are the best,
如同之前所说 你的获得可能
and like we said before, you may gain something
是从没人看过的书中
out of a book that nobody else is going to
因为你有自己独特的生活阅历
see because you have your own unique life experience
和独特的目的
and your own unique goals.
此外 即使某本书没能进入
And furthermore, even if a particular book doesn’t
你最爱的书单或没有立即
make it onto your favorites list or doesn’t change
改变你的生活 但它可能
your life immediately, it may send you down a
带你通往其他资源的道路
path that leads you to other resources which do.
就比如下周视频中
For example, one of the books that I
会谈到有本书
‘m gon na talk about in next week’s
改变了我的生活
video about books that changed my life
书名叫《哈利波特与理性之道》
is one called”Harry Potter andthe Methods of Rationality”,
归根结底这本书
which is, at the end of the day,
是一本愚蠢的同人小说
kind of a silly fan fiction
基于第一版《哈利波特》
that basically writes thefirst Harry Potter book
假设哈利波特是一个天才儿童
if Harry Potter was a boy genius.
我真的很喜欢那本书
And I really enjoyed that book,
但我不觉得那本书改变了我的生活
but I wouldn’t say that book in particular changed my life,
但它确实让我对理性
but what it did do is getme interested in rationality
启发法和偏见感兴趣
and heuristics and biases,
这本书引导我去读另一本
and that book led me to reading a book called
叫做《思考 快与慢》这本书改变了我的生活
“Thinking Fast and Slow”,which did change my life.
最后同样重要的是
And last but not least,
不要忘记享受阅读的过程
don’t forget to enjoy the process of reading.
我从生活中领悟到
One of the top lessons I’ve learned
最重要的是学无止境
in life is that you never really get there.
每当你到达某个里程碑时 在下一座山的山顶
Whenever you get to a milestone, there’s just another milestone waiting
你就会看到另一个里程碑
at the top of the next hill that you can see,
所以享你所读
so enjoy what you read.
不要焦虑读完所有最佳书籍
Don’t worry about having readall the best books out there
因为你需要享受真实的过程
because you’re gonna wantto enjoy the actual process.
就享你所读这点上
And on that note ofenjoying what you read,
我目前正非常享受的是
one of the things that I amgreatly enjoying right now
夏洛克·福尔摩斯故事全集
is the complete collectionof Sherlock Holmes stories.
虽然说我很享受阅读它们
Though it is slightly inaccurate for me to say
可能稍微有点不准确 因为
that I’m enjoying reading them, because I’m
我其实是在Audible上听书
actually listening to them on Audible.
大家知道我与这些Audible达成的协议
Now you know the deal with these Audible spots, I
每次我听完一本我喜欢的书
recommend a book that I’m enjoying to you every single
就推荐给大家 但就夏洛克·福尔摩斯故事集
time I do one, but with the Sherlock Holmes stories,
我想要说的更具体一点
I do have to get a little bit specific because
因为福尔摩斯这么有名
since Sherlock Holmes is so famous,
许多朗读者已经完成了朗读这些故事的艰巨任务
many narrators have tackled thetask of reading his stories,
在Audible上你可以找到很多不同的版本
and you can find many differentcollections on Audible.
例如 Simon Vance的版本
For example, there’s acollection by Simon Vance
就非常的好
which is very good,
还有个David Timpson朗读的版本
there are collections by a narrator named David Timpson
也非常不错 但考虑到费用
which is very good, but for my money,
若你只是想要个朗读的版本
the one that you want to get is the one that is read
Stephen Fry是最佳选择
by none other than the great Stephen Fry.
不仅他的声音超级迷人
Not only is his voiceabsolutely fantastic,
而且长达60个小时的整个故事集
but this collection ofstories is over 60 hours long
只要一个信用分 所以考虑到钱
and it’s only one credit, so for my money,
这是Audible上卖得最好的版本之一
it is one of the best dealsthat exists on Audible
我真的非常喜欢
and I am really enjoying it.
更绝的是
And what’s better,
如果你还不是Audible买家
if you’re not already an Audible customer,
可以去Audible.com/Thomas
或发短信给Thomas至500500
or text Thomas to 500500 on your phone
可免费获取一份试听版和听书材料
to get a free trial of their service and a free audiobook download,
就可以是我刚推荐给你的福尔摩斯
whether it’s Sherlock Holmes like I’m recommending for
或是任何你选择的书
you right now, or anything else of your choosing.
说到选择
And when it comes to choosing, you
你将面临成千上万的选择
‘re gon na have a ton of selection
因为Audible上有个无与伦比的
because Audible has an unmatched library of titles
不同类型的书名库
across a ton of different genres,
涵盖所有畅销书和许多默默无名的资料
ranging from all the bestsellers to lots of really obscure stuff.
所以不管你必读书单有什么
So whatever is on your to be read list,
如果没有像马丁一样删除它
if you have not deletedit like Martin has,
就可能找到想要的
you’re probably gonna be able to find it.
所以再次强调 如果你想要开始
So once again, if you want to get started
使用Audible和有声书籍
with Audible and start listening to audiobooks, which can
你就能跟高效利用
be a great way to make your downtime
坐公交 开车
more efficient, the time onthe bus, time spent driving,
折衣服 整理东西的碎片时间
time spent folding the laundry,all that kind of stuff,
那么请去Audible.com/Thomas
then head on over to Audible.com/Thomas,
或发短信给Thomas至500500
or once again text Thomasto 500500 on your phone.
非常感谢本频道支持者Audible
Big thanks to Audible for sponsoring this video and being
像往常一样对本视频的赞助
a huge supporter of this channel, and as always guys,
感谢您的观看
thank you so much for watching.
如果你喜欢本视频
If you enjoyed this video, give it a like to
点个赞支持一下 你也可以点击
support this channel and you might also wan na click right
右上角的订阅 以免下期播出时
there to subscribe so you don’t miss out on new videos
错过
when they come out.
你还可以点击左上角
You can also click right over there
可免费获取一本关于
to get a free copy of my book
如何提高成绩的书
on how to earn better grades,
或到这收听我们最新的播客节目
or go right over here to listen to our latest podcast episode.
同样重要的是
Last but not least,
点击左侧可在频道上观看
click right here to watch one more video
更多视频
on this channel,
下周讨论五本改变
and I will see you in next week’s video
我生活的书 我们下周见
on five books that changed my life.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

有的好书一看再看,而有的书纯粹浪费了时间,作者为解决网友头疼的难题,给了如下建议 网站:Good Reads,上面有许多推荐书单,各种类型都有,能在上面发现很多好多,还可通过心仪作家的书评历史发现好书。 推荐Audible上的有声读物高效利用碎片时间。 ……

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

审核员

审核员YX

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPor8IoZ3Bw

相关推荐