[现代流行音乐]
(modern pop music)
大家好 欢迎来到“露西英语”
Hello everyone, and welcome back to English with Lucy.
今天 我为你们准备了一节稍长的视频课程
Today, I’ve got a slightly longer video lesson for you.
我们将谈到一些词汇
We’re going to be talking about vocabulary,
具体来说 就是如何形容人的外貌
and more specifically, how to describe people’s appearances.
这是个非常非常重要的话题
Now, this is a really,really important topic.
通常来说 这是我们开始学英语时
It’s normally one of the first things that you learn
最先要学的内容之一
when you start to learn English,
但我想讲得更深入一点
but I want to go a bit more in depth.
通常 人们都能够描述基本的外貌
Normally, people are able to describe basic appearances.
我想教你们一些稍微高级点的词汇
I want to teach you slightly more advanced vocabulary
这样你就可以准确地描述人们的外貌了
so that you can really give an accurate description of people’s appearances.
如果你发现有点难以理解我说的
If you find understanding me slightly difficult,
你可以打开字幕 这样你就可以
you can switch on subtitles,and so you’ll be able to
看到屏幕下方的句子
see the words at the bottom of the screen.
在开始前我快速说几句 这次视频课程将帮助你
Quickly, before we get started, this video will help you
提高口语表达 写作和词汇水平
with your speaking and your writing and your vocabulary.
也能提高你的听力水平
It will also help you with your listening,
因为你要听我讲课 所以能学到更多的词汇
because you will be listening to me and learning more vocabulary.
但是如果你想让你的听力能力
But if you want to take your listening
和发音再上一个层次的话
and your pronunciation to the next level,
为什么不试试登陆audible.com呢
why not try audible.com.
这是个可收听和下载有声书籍的网站
Audible is a website where you can download and listen to audio books.
里面有上千本书
They’ve got thousands of titles.
我长跑的时候也会收听
I listen to them myself when I go on my long runs.
跑完一个马拉松的时间大概就能听完一本书
It takes me about a marathon to finish a book,
但我真的很享受这个过程
but I really enjoy it.
下载英文书将会是一个
If you download books in English, it’s an excellent way
提升听力和发音的超棒的方法
of improving your listening and your pronunciation.
他们将为你提供一本免费有声书
They are giving you a free audio book.
你要做的就是点击说明框中的链接并注册
All you have to do is click on the link in the description box and sign up.
一个月后你若不想付钱
And if after one month you don’t want to pay,
你可以取消它 是完全免费的
you can cancel it, it’s completely free.
我在说明框中推荐了几本英式发音的书
I’ve recommended some books in the description boxwith British accents.
让我们开始今天的课程
Let’s get started with the lesson.
首先 我们谈论的是身材
So firstly, we’re going to talk about people’s bodies.
我想先从身高说起
And I think I’m going to start by talking about height
某人有多高
How tall somebody is
也许你已经知道了以下的基础词汇
So you might already know these basic terms,
“short”和“tall” “short”和“tall”
short and tall, short and tall.
但如果某人是正常身高呢?
But what about if somebody is a normal height?
那么这里有很多种表达方式
Well, there are a couple of ways that you can express this.
你可以说 “They are of average height.”
You can say they are of average height,
“They are of medium height.”
they are of medium height.
如果你想更精确
If you want to be more precise and say
可以说他们的实际身高有多少厘米
their actual height, in centimetres,
尺或英寸 你可以加上“around”这个词
or feet and inches, you can say, “around”.
所以 我会说 “I am around five foot six”
So I would say I am around five foot six.
我实际上是5.55尺高
I’m actually five foot five and a half,
但有时我也会说我身高七尺六
but sometimes I say I’m five foot six.
你也可以添加别的词 比如“very”或“quite”
So, other words that you can include are very or quite.
“He is very tall”或者“She is quite short”
he is very tall or she is quite short.
接下来学习体型和体重的表达
Next, we have body type and weight.
对此 你要稍微慎重点
Now you have to be a little bit careful
当你描述某人的体型或体重时
when describing somebody’s body type or their weight,
因为你可能会使别人伤心
because you can hurt their feelings.
所以首先 我会教你们一些褒义词
So firstly, I’m going to give you some positive adjectives
来描述一个人的体重 然后
to describe somebody’s weight, and then afterwards,
我再教大家一些贬义词
I’ll give you the more negative ones,
这样你就会清楚何时能用或何时不能用这些词
so that you can understand when or when not to use them.
但是 我要提个醒 体重这个话题 尤其在英国
But, I will warn you, weight, in the UK, especially,
和世界上其他很多地方
and many other places in the world,
都是一个非常敏感的话题
is a very sensitive subject, so,
所以 如果你觉得可能会冒犯到别人
if you think you might insult somebody,
最好什么都别说
it’s often best not to say anything at all.
但我今天的角色不是什么都不能说 我是来教大家词汇的
But that’s not my role here, I’m teaching you words.
所以 我们开始吧 [笑声]
So, let’s get started (laughs).
我们来学“thin”和“fat”
So we have thin and fat.
它们通常被认为是贬义词
These are generally considered to be negative words.
所以 让我讨论一些褒义的替代词吧
So let’s talk about some positive alternatives.
对于“thin” 可以说某人“slender”或“slim”
For thin, you can describe somebody as slender or slim.
这都是很友好的表达
They are really nice words.
如果有人说我“slender”或者“slim”那我会很高兴的
If somebody called me slender or slim, I’d be flattered.
另一个词是“lean” 意思是
Another word is lean, and this means
他们只有皮肤和肌肉
that they’re just skin and muscle.
这是个褒义词 表示的是他们身材很好
It’s a positive word, because it means they’re in shape.
肌肉发达 没有脂肪 瘦且健康
They’re muscly, there’s no fat on them, they’re lean.
当某人体型娇小的时候
You can also call somebody petite
你也可以用“petite”来形容
and this is when somebody has a small build.
它通常用来形容肩膀窄 非常矮的女性
It’s normally used to describe females who have small shoulders, they’re quite short.
她们比一般女性体型更小一些
They’re just like a woman, only smaller.
“They are petite.”
They’re petite.
如果某人非常瘦 你可以说他们“slight”
If somebody is very thin, you can call them slight.
“They are very slight.”
They’re very slight.
另外一个词是“lanky”
And another one is lanky.
它指某人又高又瘦
This means that somebody is tall and very thin.
表示他们四肢修长 瘦高个儿
It means they’ve got long limbs, lanky.
如果某人身上有点肉
If somebody has got a bit of meat on them,
你不想说他们“fat” 而是想用一些令人愉快的词
you don’t want to call them fat, but some nice words
你可以用“curvy”表示女性有曲线美
you can use are curvy, this means that women have curves.
“curvaceous”和“womanly”也行
Curvaceous, as well, womanly.
“voluptuous”通常指丰乳肥臀
Voluptuous, this means normally that they’ve got quite a big bum and big boobs.
只要不是故意说别人 通常表示赞美
They’re normally flattering when used in a non-creepy way.
形容男性就用“stocky” “well built”和“muscly”
For a man, stocky, well built, muscly.
现在来了解一些贬义词
Okay, now to touch on the negative words.
一些非常委婉的词 用来形容别人身形稍大
Some quite soft ones for somebody who is larger
比如 “plump” “chubby” “round”
are plump, chubby, round.
这些词不是指肥胖或体型庞大 只是表示
This doesn’t mean fat or big, it just means
他们身型稍微有一点大
that they’ve got a little bit extra on them.
你也可以用“overweight” “large” “big” “heavy”
You can also say overweight, large, big, heavy.
如果某人非常瘦 你可以用“underweight”
And if somebody is very thin, you can call them underweight,
如果你能看见他们的骨头就用 “skinny” “bony”
skinny, bony, if you can see their bones.
一个经常被用来形容非常瘦的人的词
One word that is often used to describe very thin people
但本不应该用的就是“anorexic”
that shouldn’t really be used is anorexic.
它是一个医学术语 实际上不是一个
It’s a medical term, it’s not actually an adjective
用来描述某人外表的形容词
to describe somebody’s physical appearance.
所以 尽量别用这个词
So try to avoid that one.
接下来说一说头发
Okay, let’s move on to hair.
这里有两种表达
Now there are two ways in which
你可以用来形容某人的发色
you can talk about somebody’s hair colour.
你可以用这样的句型“to have+adj+hair”
You can say to have, adjective, hair,
或者“to be+adj-haired”
or to be, adjective, dash, haired.
例如 “I have blonde hair.”
For example, I have blonde hair.
“I am blonde-haired.”
I am blonde-haired.
第二种方式实际上有点拗口
The second one is a bitof a mouthful actually,
“to be blonde-haired”
to be blonde-haired.
“I am blonde-haired”
I am blonde-haired.
你也可以就说“I am blonde”
You can also just say, I am blonde.
但这最好用于
But that’s better to use
发色很明确的颜色
for colours that are very specific to hair colours,
像金色 姜黄色和深色
like blonde, and ginger, and brunette.
所以 “I am blonde” “I am ginger”
So I am blonde, I am ginger,
“I am brunette” 都可以
I am brunette, that’s fine.
但是如果你说 “I am white”或“I am black”
But if you say, I am white, or I am black,
这可能会和肌肤的颜色混淆
it could be confused with skin-colour.
所以最好说“I am black-haired” “I have white hair”
So it’s best to say I am black-haired, I have white hair.
我们收集了一个巨大的光谱 包含所有可能出现的颜色
So we’ve got a huge spectrum of colours that you can be.
我将谈论一下最常见的几种
I’m going to talk about the most common ones,
但是它们十分精确 之前你可能
but they are quite specific, and you might not
没有全部听说过
have heard of them all before.
那么 让我们从最浅的说到最深的
So let’s start with the lightest, and move to the darkest.
首先是“white” 然后是“grey” 再然后是
So, we have white, then we have grey, then we have
“platinum blonde” 这是一种白金色头发
platinum blonde, and this is white-blonde hair.
这种发色一般不是天生的 但有些人
It’s normally not a natural colour, but some people
足够幸运 天生拥有一头白金色或
are lucky enough to have naturally white-blonde
淡金色头发 这真的是一种很有吸引力的发色
or platinum hair, it’s a really interesting colour.
然后是“blonde”
Then we have blonde.
颜色深一点的也可以叫“golden”
If it’s a bit darker, it could be called golden.
然后 如果比“blonde”更深一点
And then, if it’s a bit darker than blonde,
你可以用两种方式表达
there are two ways you can describe it.
如果接近“brown” 就可以说“dirty blonde”
If it’s blonde, almost brown, you can say dirty blonde.
如果是接近“ginger”
If it’s blonde, almost ginger,
就可以说成“strawberry blonde”
you can say strawberry blonde.
接下来是“ginger” 它更接近橘黄色
Then we have ginger, which is more orange,
和红色 很明显 它是一种更深的红色
and red, which is a darker red colour, obviously.
这些之后还有“mousy brown”
After that, you have mousy brown,
这是一种浅棕色
which is a light brown colour.
然后是“brown” 接着是“brunette” 同样
Then brown, then brunette, as well,
它是另一种形容棕发的说法
which is another way of saying brown hair.
它一般更深一点
It’s normally a bit darker.
然后是“dark brown” 再是“black”
Then dark brown, and then black.
如果你不想具体描述头发 皮肤或眼睛
Now, if you don’t want to specify a colour of hair or skin or eyes,
只想说浅或深
and you just want to say light or dark,
你可以用“fair”表示浅色 或者“dark”表示深色
you can say fair for light, or dark for the darker colours.
“I am fair” “I have fair eyes”
So, I am fair, I have fair eyes,
“fair hair”和“fair skin”
fair hair, and fair skin.
意思是我的皮肤和眼睛是浅色的
This means I am just light.
一些人可能有“dark hair” “dark eyes” “dark skin”
Somebody else might have dark hair, dark eyes, dark skin.
所以 我们通常用“fair”或“dark”
So, we normally use fair or dark.
怎么形容头发长度呢
So, what about hair length.
如果你没头发 那么“you are bald”
Well, if you have no hair, then you are bald.
“I am bald”
I am bald.
我之前在Aly频道录制的
In a video that I did on Aly’s channel,
《爸爸教我英语》节目中 我就是个秃头
Papa Teach Me English, I was bald.
如果你想看我没头发的样子 以及
If you would like to see me with no hair, and,
没有女性妆容 不同的打扮的样子
well, no feminine makeup, different makeup,
你可以点击这里
then you can click up there.
看看你能不能认出我 我看起来有点不同
See if you recognise me, I look slightly different.
然后还有“short hair” “long hair”
Then you have short hair, long hair.
两者之间的长度是“bob”
But then in between, you can have a bob,
在我最开始录制的几段视频里我就是波波头
I have a bob haircut, in my first videos,
我有一个非常短的波波头
I had very short hair in a bob haircut.
我没有想要那种发型 那是一个意外惊喜
I didn’t ask for that haircut, it was a surprise.
“Shoulder-length hair” “medium-length hair” “long hair”
Shoulder-length hair, medium-length hair, long hair.
如果你想说你头发有多长
If you want to say how long your hair is,
你可以说“My hair goes down to my…”
you can say,”My hair goes down to my…”
“my hair goes down to my armpit”
So my hair goes down to my armpit.
“My hair goes down to my waist”
My hair goes down to my waist.
至于发型 你可以有 “straight hair”
As far as hair texture, you can have straight hair,
“wavy hair” “curly hair” “afro hair”
wavy hair, curly hair, afro hair,
“afro hair”是十分密的卷发
which is really, really dense curls.
你发质也可以被描述
The quality of your hair can also be described.
如果你的头发很软 可以用“silky”或者“shiny”
If your hair is very soft, it can be silky or shiny.
如果头发不柔软 如果受损严重
If it’s not soft, if it’s quite damaged,
你可以说“you have dry hair”
you can say you have dry hair,
或者你可以说“it’s straw-like”
or you can say it’s straw-like. So,
让我们进入皮肤这个主题
let’s move on to the subject of skin.
这又是一个更困难的部分
This again, is a more difficult one.
我们肤色在白和黑光谱之内
So, we have the spectrum of white and black.
但不同的人喜欢被称作不同的肤色
But different people like to be called different things.
我习惯称自己“white”
So, I would call myself white.
我有很多肤色更深的朋友
I have a lot of friends with darker skin
他们通常被称作“black”
who are often called black, but
但是他们实际上更愿意被称作“brown”
they would actually prefer to be called brown.
当你犹豫不决时 就用“fair”或者“dark”
I would say when in doubt, use fair or dark
来形容某人的肤色
to describe somebody’s skin tone.
黑白之间 有“tanned”
Now, in the middle, we have tanned.
这是指你被太阳“青睐”了
This means that you’ve been blessed by the sun,
你去晒了太阳 在阳光下晒成了棕色皮肤
you’ve caught a sun tan, you’ve gone brown in the sun.
在英式英语中 我们用“tanned”
And in British English, we say tanned,
在美式英语中 他们说“tan”
and in American English, they say tan.
如果你不是黝黑皮肤 那就是浅色的
If you’re not tanned, then you are pale.
我一直都是那样的
And that is what I am all of the time.
我一直是浅色的 即使去度了假
I am always pale, even when I go on holiday.
现在 我们接着说眼睛颜色
Now, let’s move on to eye colour.
同样的 你可以用“fair”或“dark”
Again, you can use fair or dark.
“Fair eyes” “light eyes” “dark eyes”
Fair eyes, light eyes, dark eyes.
你可以用这样的句型“to have+adj+eyes”
So you can say, to have, adjective, eyes,
或者“to be+adj-eyed”
or to be, adjective, dash, eyed.
“I have grey eyes” “I am grey-eyed”
So, I have grey eyes, I am grey-eyed.
“I am dark-eyed”
I am dark-eyed.
大部分颜色都很简单 “blue” “brown”
Most of the colours are pretty simple, blue, brown,
“green” “black” “grey” “brown”
green, black, grey, brown.
我已经说过 “brown”了 是吗?
I’ve said brown, haven’t I?
但经常被用到的一个颜色是“hazel”
But one colour that’s used quite frequently is hazel.
如果你眼睛是有一点褐绿色的
If you have a sort of a browny-green eye,
就可以被称作“hazel”
it can be called hazel.
“They have hazel eyes”
So, they have hazel eyes.
现在到嘴唇了
Now, lips.
你可以有“thin lips”
You can have thin lips,
但如果你想说
but if you want to talk about
某个嘴唇大的人 你可以说他们有“full lips”
somebody with big lips, you can say they have full lips.
如果某人有一个大的 让人想亲的 翘的嘴唇
So if somebody has big, kissy, pouty lips,
你可以说“they have very full lips”
you can say they have very full lips.
如果某人有很凸出的嘴唇 而且说话时像这样
If somebody has really sticky out lips and speaks like this,
你可以说他们是“pouty lips”
you can call them pouty lips.
是的 就是这样 要么“full”要么就“thin”
But yes, full or thin, really.
接下来说鼻子
Next you can talk about noses.
很明显 “big”和“small”都是基础词汇
So, big or small, obviously, are the basics.
如果某人鼻子拐了个弯
If somebody has a bend in their nose,
就可以叫“crooked nose” “a crooked nose”
it can be called a crooked nose, a crooked nose.
如果他们鼻子没有拐弯
If they haven’t got a bend in their nose,
就是一个“straight nose”
it can be a straight nose.
如果某人有小鼻子 你可以称作“button nose”
If somebody has a small nose, you can call it a button nose.
如果他们鼻子有个钩 就是一个“hooked nose”
If they’ve got a hook, a hooked nose.
如果某人的鼻子像这样
If somebody’s nose is like this,
它是一个“turned up nose”或一个“upturned nose”
it’s a turned up nose, or an upturned nose.
我上网查过 据说 有九种不同的脸型
Face shape, I looked online, and apparently there are nine different face shapes,
但我们今天只讨论四种
but we’re going to talk about four today.
你脸型可以是“oval” “round” “heart-shaped”
You have oval, round, heart-shaped,
还有“square” 如果某人有方下巴
which ends in a point, and square, if somebody has a square jaw.
那么怎么形容整体外貌呢
What about general appearance.
我以前和“地道英语”频道的安娜拍过一个关于表扬的视频
I did do a video with Anna from English like a Native about compliments.
我们讨论了一些可以用来表扬他人的表达
And we discussed some of the ways in which you can compliment people. So,
那些是褒义词
that’s the positive adjectives.
我在本课会给出链接
I will cover them in this lesson,
但如果你想看那个教程 你可以点击这儿
but if you’d like to see that, you can click up there. But,
但是 你最好把它们分成男性的和女性的
it’s quite good to separate them into male and female,
因为同一个形容词 对男性来说可能
because one adjective that might be really, really
是赞扬和褒义的
flattering and positive for a male
但实际上对于女性来说可能十分无礼
might actually be quite insulting for a female.
可用来形容两者的
Adjectives that could be used for both,
褒义词有 “attractive” “beatuiful” “stunning”
the positive ones, attractive, beautiful, stunning,
这些指某人非常非常好看
which means somebody is just amazingly-beautiful.
只能形容男性的词 比如“handsome”
But then, just for men, there’s handsome,
只能形容女性的词 比如“pretty”
and just for women, there is pretty.
如果你形容一个女性“handsome”
Now if you described a woman as handsome,
你也许是暗示她有男性特征
you might be insinuating that she has manly features.
同样的 如果你形容女性
In the same way that if you described a woman,
同样的
In the same way,
如果你形容一个男性“pretty”
that if you described a man as pretty,
你就可能在暗示他有点娘
you might be saying he has quite feminine features,
这通常不是人们想听到的
which is not always something that somebody wants.
贬义词 可以用“ugly”或“plain”
Negative ones, you could have ugly or plain.
其他形容人的方式
Other ways of describing people,
你可以形容他们“masculine”或“feminine”
you can describe them as masculine or feminine,
“boyish” “manly” “girly” “womanly”
boyish, manly, girly, womanly.
好的 你的家庭作业就是
Right, your homework is to describe yourself
尽可能详细地描述你自己
in as much detail as possible.
写在评论里 我迫不及待去看你们的描述了
Put it in the comments and I can’t wait to see your descriptions.
当然 如果你能添加更多词汇
Also, if you can add any more vocabulary,
那么也一定把它们加到你的描述中去
then definitely include that in your description, as well.
以上是今天的课程
That’s it for today’s lesson.
记得去audible.com哦
Don’t forget to check out audible.com.
所有的信息都在描述框内
All of the information is in the description box.
我希望你们喜欢这个课程
I hope you enjoyed this lesson.
我真的希望你们都学到一些东西
I really hope you learned something.
我已经给了你们很多知识点
I’ve given you a lot of information.
别忘了在我的社交软件上联系我
Don’t forget to connect with me on all of my social media.
我有脸书、ins和推特
I’ve got my Facebook, my Instagram, and my Twitter.
不久后在另一节课上再见
And I will see you soon for another lesson.
[mua]
Mwah!
[舒缓的流行音乐]
(slow pop music)
