未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

后院中的过山车

How This Guy Built a Roller Coaster In His Backyard | WIRED

There are people who like roller coasters.
有人喜欢坐过山车
There are people who love roller coasters.
还有些人非常喜欢坐过山车
And then, there are people like Will Pemble.
还有人 像威尔•佩波尔那样
All I need is a little bit of encouragement
我所需要的就是一点鼓励
to say yes to a crazy idea.
对一个疯狂的想法表示肯定
Oh man!
天哪!
My name is Will Pemble.
我叫威尔•佩波尔
I think it got faster.
我觉得它加速了
And I built a roller coaster in my backyard.
我在后院建了座过山车
Well, of course he did.
没错 他真这么干了
I built a roller coaster in my backyard
我在后院建造过山车的契机
because once upon a time when my son was 10 years old
是在我儿子十岁的时候
Here we go.
出发
We came home from vacation, and he asked me
我们度完假回家 他问我
“Wouldn’t it be great if we had a roller coaster in the yard?”
“如果我们院子里有个过山车不是很棒吗?”
And it took me five seconds to know for absolute certain that it would be great.
我稍微想了一下 确实很棒
But first, Pemble had to figure out how to build one.
但是首先 佩波尔必须搞清楚如何建造过山车
The first time we wanted to build a roller coaster,
我们首次尝试的时候
there wasn’t a whole lot of information about it.
并没有足够多的相关信息
Okay, I’ll tend to consider it not so bad.
好吧 我觉得这还好
There were a couple of videos online that we could look at.
我们可以先看看网上的视频
The companies that built these don’t really like to share their secrets.
过山车建造公司不想泄露商业机密
So a lot of what we did, we had to kind of learn as we went.
所以很多都是我们边学边做的
I’m trained a little bit as an engineer. I’m trained a little bit as a carpenter, as a builder,
我受过一些工程师 木匠 建筑工的训练
I’ve learnt how to weld.
学过焊接
I know some stuff,
我知道一些原理
but really we had to figure this out through trial and error.
但是我们得通过反复试验才能搞清楚
And while we were doing that we had to make sure it all stayed perfectly safe the whole way.
并且我们必须确保全程是绝对安全的
The trick to having your roller coaster turned out the way you hoped it will is you do the maths.
让过山车按照预期运行的诀窍就是运算
You figure out what are the laws of physics that are gonna govern this thing,
在动工之前
and how do I make those calculations and understand what the coasters are gonna do
要搞清楚它们遵循什么物理定律
before you ever put a shovel in the ground,
了解过山车的走向
before you ever bend a piece of steel.
从而明白该怎么计算
In total, he’s built five coasters.
他总共建了五座过山车
The first one I built in my backyard, and it was made out PVC and wood,
第一座建在我的后院 用塑料和木头做成
about a hundred and eighty feet of track.
全程大约180英尺
The second roller coaster I built in my front yard
第二座建在前院
because there was already a roller coaster in the backyard.
因为后院已经有了一座
That’s fun.
很有趣
The third roller coaster I built for the Maker Faire in San Francisco,
第三座是给旧金山的创意嘉年华做的
because I wanted to show my roller coaster to more people
因为我想把我的过山车展示给更多人
than would fit in my yard.
而不仅仅是放在我的院子里
The fourth roller coaster I built at a friend’s house,
第四座建在一个朋友家
because his kid wanted a roller coaster and we were friends.
因为朋友的儿子想要
And this is the fifth roller coaster, the Goal Boss,
这是第五座 “代表者”
that I tried to improve on everything we had done before.
是我尝试改进以前做过的工作建造的
And I felt like we’ve almost got ourselves there.
我觉得我们就快成功了
The latest is a stomach swirling strench of steel
最新的一个在北加州 他家后院
right out the back door of his northern California home.
用钢铁制成 能让你感到胃里翻江倒海
A lot of people would put a swimming pool in the yard like this,
许多人会在院子里建泳池
just a lot of people, most people would.
很多人会这样
I didn’t want that.
而我并不这样想
I didn’t think that that would be particularly engaging;
我不觉得那会很有趣
I didn’t think my kids would learn a whole lot from that.
也不认为我的孩子能从中学到什么
And look, I have a roller coaster!
然后 看 我拥有的可是一座过山车!
There are no tickets, no lines,
不需要门票 不需要排队
just strap into the homemade cart, inch up the hill,
只要系在自制推车上 缓缓升至最高点
and then fly though the turns.
然后从拐弯处飞落
The way the coaster works right now is you get in,
现在你已经知道了过山车的工作原理
you go on the chain lift.
通过链条上升
It takes about 30 or 40 seconds to get from the bottom of the hill to the top of the hill.
经过三四十秒从斜坡底部升至最高点
So it’s a pretty slow lift hill.
爬升很慢
What that does, we could speed it up, but we didn’t.
我们可以让它加速 但我们没有
But what that does is it gives you time to kind of review your choices,
因为这给了你一点时间去回顾你的选择
and think about what you’ve done, cuz you look down at the thing,
想想你做了什么 因为你低头看着这个东西
and it doesn’t look like any roller coaster that you have ever ridden before.
它不像你以前坐过的任何一座过山车
It’s like “Oh my god, who built this thing? Are you sure this is safe?”
心想:“天啊 这是谁做的?真的安全吗?”
By the time you get to the top, you’re just like you’re,
这时候到了最高处 也只能这样了
you just you know this was a terrible idea.
但是你明白这是个糟糕的决定
And I have the exact same feeling,
我有同样的感觉
so you get that for about 30 seconds.
到达顶上要30秒
And then a couple of seconds, you just crest the hill you’re like,
几秒钟后 你就到了顶部
oh, okay. And then just like a nice gentle
然后稍稍停一下
and then you do this you just like drop off the edge of the earth into this dive.
然后你会感到像从地球边缘掉落一样俯冲向地面
And inside of a couple of seconds at the bottom of that first straightaway there,
以每小时18英里的速度前进
you’re going 18 miles an hour.
在几秒内到达地面第一条直线轨道
And then you dive into a 70-degree bank turn,
然后冲过一个70度的拐角
and you go 360, 450 degrees
然后是360度 450度
of 70 degree bank turn back up into the sky.
最后70度后再次冲向天空
And then you ride over this trust,
暂时告一段落
and then drop down into that turn over there, which is right next to the wall.
然后冲入那边靠墙的转角
You go up the next camel hump, which points off the edge of the wall.
然后升上墙边的驼峰
And on the other side of that wall
然后 在墙的另一边
is a 15-foot drop into I don’t know what.
是个15英尺高不知通向何处的下落
then you turn off of that and then you ride into another bank,
然后转弯 进入另一个倾斜弯道
then you roll back to the station.
然后回到站点
All of that takes less time than it took me to describe it.
所有这些 比我给你描述花的时间还少
It takes like 17 seconds from the top of the lift hill back to the station.
从最高点落下到回到站台 大概需要17秒
And it’s utterly horrifying and thrilling,
这非常惊险刺激
and the best part of all for me is very very smooth.
对我来说 最好的部分是平缓的那段
But it’s missing something,
但这会错过一些东西
at least according to Pemble’s online fans,
根据订阅佩波尔YouTube上
who follow this coaster building on his YouTube channel.
制作过山车频道的粉丝
This coaster is awesome and a lot of people have seen us online.
这个过山车非常棒 很多人在网上关注我们
And we get a lot of help and encouragement from people
我们也从看我这些搞怪创意小视频的人那里
who watch my kooky little videos about it.
得到了很多帮助和鼓励
One question that keeps coming up over and over again is,
有一个问题反复被提及
doesn’t it go upside down at any point?
“它能进行翻转吗?”
It doesn’t go upside down, yet.
它暂时还不能进行翻转
So I’ve had a number of people ask me
所以 有很多人问我
if we could add some kind of inversion,
可不可以加一些倒置之类的
some way to make the roller-coaster go upside down here in the yard.
让过山车可以在院子里进行翻转
I have to try.
我会试试的
Now Pemble and his coaster collaborator John Eliot
现在 佩波尔和他的伙伴约翰·艾略特
are making the loop-de-loop dream a reality.
正在实现过山车翻跟头这个想法
And yes, he insists this is safe.
并且 他认为这是安全的
Before we built this coaster or any of the other coasters,
在我们建造这座或其他所有过山车之前
we started with a spreadsheet.
我们会先制作一个电子试算表
And we did meter by meter, math and physics
我们用物理和数学一米一米的计算
on how the car would behave, how the track would behave,
小车的运转和轨道的设计
what the slopes needed to be, what the bank turn would need to be.
以及斜坡和转角的参数
All of the things we figured out before we ever started to build any of it.
所有的这些都在建造之前就计算清楚
That’s the only way you can have it turn out predictably.
这是让一切都按预期运转的唯一方法
To absolutely guarantee that things are safe, Pemble turns to his friend Todd.
为了确保一切绝对安全 佩波尔请出他的朋友托德
Okay, Todd isn’t really his friend, he’s a crash-test dummy.
好吧 托德不是一个真人朋友 而是一个碰撞测试仿真人
I know that I weigh 200 pounds and I want to ride my rollercoaster.
我体重200磅 并且想要乘坐我的过山车
So we put our 300-pound crash-test dummy Todd on the roller coaster,
所以 我们把300磅的碰撞测试仿真人放在过山车上
and let him ride it a bunch of times before we ever put a human being on it.
在让真人乘坐之前 先用它测试几次
So we test everything.
我们测试所有细节
Todd
托德
But an upside down loop is a different thing entirely.
但是一个翻转的环轨完全是另一码事
The physics of loops is kind of interesting,
环的物理知识很有趣的
and presents a number of opportunities and challenges.
其中有许多机遇和挑战
One of the main things that you think about in loops is centripetal acceleration.
关于环轨 其中一个要考虑的关键是 向心加速度
And that’s the force with which your cart is pushing on the outside of your loops.
就是这种力量把座位推向轨道外侧
So how hard is it pushing against the track?
会有多少力作用于轨道?
With a perfectly circular loop,
一个完美的环状轨道
you need incredible speed, incredible centripetal acceleration,
需要极快的速度和极大的向心力
to keep the car pushing up when it reaches the top of the loop.
来保证座椅到达最高处时仍可以继续前进
Most commercial coasters these days use an upside-down teardrop-shaped loop called clothoid loop.
近来 许多商业化的过山车使用一种可以翻转的泪滴状回旋曲线轨道
So the way a clothoid loop looks is
回旋曲线轨道是这样的
when you enter the loop, you have a nice big radius.
在刚进入环内时 半径很大
And then the radius decreases decreases decreases decreases very tight turn at the top,
然后逐渐减小 在最高点减到最小
and then back out of the loop.
然后滑出环轨
One of the challenges of our clothoid loop,
我们制造回旋曲线轨道的难题之一
will be that we can’t build a really really big one.
在于能否造出一个非常大的环
We’re gonna need a relatively small radius loop.
我们需要一个半径相对较小的圆环
The top of our coaster is 20 feet from the bottom of our coaster.
这个轨道的最高点与最低点相距20英尺
So we basically have 20 feet of altitude,
差不多有20英尺的高度
20 feet of potential energy that we can use to get in and out of the loop.
就有20英尺的势能 能用于在环轨上的运行
And when we exit the loop, we still have to finish the whole rest of the course.
但是驶离圆环之后 我们仍需要走完剩余流程
So we can’t use up all of our energy just to get through this loop.
所以我们不能仅仅为通过圆环 就消耗掉所有能量
If we enter the loop at a certain speed when we run the math on that,
计算得出 如果我们以一定的速度进入圆环
what I’m starting to find is that the G’s
那么作用于小车 乘客 轨道
that you’re gonna pull the force on the cart and the rider and the track and the whole system
以及整个系统的力
is gonna get pretty freaking high when you’re entering that loop.
将会变得异常地大
And by high I mean like 3, 4, 5 G’s, really high.
非常大 大约是重力加速度的3 4 5倍
It’s not going to be fun, it’s not gonna feel good.
这一点都不好玩儿 甚至会感觉很糟
It might be something that you’d be proud of having it achieved,
你可能会有种像是实现了什么事情的自豪感
but it’s not going to be something you would enjoy.
但这并不是会让你觉得享受的东西
After a weekend of cutting, bending, riding and welding,
经过一周的切割 折弯 处理 焊接工作
Pemble and Eliot have a new section of track.
佩波尔和埃里奥特有了一段新的轨道
It’s not a loop after all, it’s a barrel roll,
这不是一个圆环 而是一个滚筒
which should fit better into the existing layout.
它可以更好适应现有布局
And according to Pemble won’t subject the rider to painful g-forces.
并且据佩波尔说 这不会让乘客遭受超重的痛苦
So what we got here is the very top part of the barrel roll.
我们拿着的 是滚筒的顶部
So what happens is our car will enter there, there’s entry down there.
小车从这里进入 这儿下面有个入口
But basically the car enters this part of the barrel roll, the rider is pointing this way.
总之就是 当小车进入滚筒这里时 乘客朝向这边
And then they spin around this piece of track,
然后 在轨道这部分快速旋转
by the time they finish this top part,
走过最高处时
they’ve made a 180 degree roll
在这18英尺的距离中
from this to that over the course of about 18 feet.
他们翻转了180度
And so we’re feeling very happy about this,
我们对此非常开心
because this was the hardest part to build.
因为这是最难建造的部分
The materials to build this coaster cost a little bit less than $10,000,
这段的耗材将近一万美元
it’s the labor that’s gonna get you.
我们还为之付出了很多劳动
This roller coaster took us about three months me and my friend John worked on it together.
我和我朋友约翰 花了大概三个月的时间一起建造这个过山车
And we probably put about 300 hours of labor into the thing.
为此工作了近300个小时
So, not a trivial amount of work.
这绝非轻而易举的事情
I’ve had a really lucky and wonderful life.
我有一段非常幸运精彩的生活
I built one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world,
创建了世界上最大的网络托管公司之一
and I sold that and I made a little bit of money.
然后我把它卖了 赚了些钱
I run a management consulting company now called Goal Boss,
我现在经营的管理咨询公司叫Goal Boss
we teach leadership and teamwork.
培训领导才能和合作能力
It’s amazing how much of what we learn on the roller coaster project,
神奇的是 我们从过山车项目中学到的
figures into the training and consulting what we do.
都能和我们在做的培训 咨询相结合
The new section of barrel roll track is fitted right after the first drop,
这段新轨道 刚好可以接在第一次下落之后
it really changes how the coaster rides.
这极大地改变了过山车的走向
In this roll, the center of gravity of the rider is way down by your waist,
在这次翻转中 乘客的重心在腰部以下
which means that your head whips around,
那意味着你的头会摇来摇去
and there’s just like a whole lot of energy.
因为那里会受力
It’s not comfortable, its borderline not safe.
这样并不舒服 轨道边界线也不安全
Utterly scary!
太恐怖了
Pemble is the only person who has ever ridden it,
佩波尔是唯一乘坐过它的人
and he’ll probably be the last.
也可能会是最后一个
It seemed like an incredibly good idea at the time.
这在当时看来是个非常好的主意
Now it’s really cool to watch,
看起来真的很酷
it’s really fun to roll the car over the thing.
在这上面行驶小车 真的很有趣
I’ve ridden it once and that was plenty.
我坐过一次 那就够了
But if you’re a crash-test dummy like Todd, remember him?
但是如果你是像托德那样的仿真人 记得吗?
Then it’s a ton of fun to ride.
那就会很有趣
So my key takeaway from building an inversion into a roller coaster
我从把翻转加入过山车中得出的结论是
is if you don’t study engineering and rollercoaster manufacture,
如果没有学过工程学和过山车制造
you’re just not gonna get it right the first time.
就不要想一次成功
That’s okay. We’re just gonna do it again.
但没关系 那就再试一次
I think the best thing to do for this coaster
我认为 制作这个过山车最好的办法
is to tear it down completely and rebuild it,
是将它完全拆开重建
and design it from day one with an inversion in mind.
从设计第一天就要考虑翻转
My advice to anybody building a backyard roller coaster,
我给想在后院建造过山车的人的建议是
go slow, do the math, be careful
慢慢来 认真计算
and know when to not ride it.
要知道什么时候不能乘坐
And don’t forget to have a Todd on hand.
还有 别忘了准备一个托德

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

自己家里有座过山车是不是很酷?那就一起跟随威尔•佩波尔来看看吧!

听录译者

Cathy

翻译译者

clyze

审核员

审核员XY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tP5VbBlR6s

相关推荐