ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

两次无家可归后成为亿万富翁 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

两次无家可归后成为亿万富翁

How I Overcame Homelessness Twice to Become a Billionaire | John Paul DeJoria

很多人问我
A lot of people ask how I got
我是如何投身到各项事业的捐献工作的 以及我是如何
into donating to various causes, and how I got involved
变得无家可归的
in even homelessness along the way,
然后又重新爬起来 — 这个故事很有意思
and popped out of it—well it’s a very interesting story.
跟我的妈妈有很大的关系
My mom has a lot to do with it.
六岁时 我们家没有钱
At six years old we didn’t have any money;
家里有我妈妈 我弟弟和我
there was my mother, my brother and I.
我爸爸游手好闲 欠了很多债
We had a deadbeat dad;
在我们不到两岁时离开了我们 但是妈妈在圣诞节那段时间带我们去了
left us before we were two, but she took us at Christmas-time to
洛杉矶市区
downtown Los Angeles.
我们有几辆会转圈的小车
We had little cars going around in circles,
总之它的窗子装饰很酷
it was pretty cool, anyway its decorations in the window.
她给我和弟弟一枚硬币并告诉我们:
She gave my brother and I a dime and told us,
“孩子们 一人把一半分给
” Boys whole half of it each, give it to
那个正在按铃的男人的桶里”
the man ringing the bell in the bucket.”
我们把钱放进了桶内 我们说:“妈妈
We put it in this bucket, we said,” Mom,
我们为什么要给那个人男人硬币?
why did we give that man a dime?
那可以买两瓶苏打汽水了”
That’s like two soda pops.”
那是1951年 可以买两瓶苏打水 三个糖果条
This is 1951, two soda pops, three candy bars.
妈妈说:“孩子们 那是救援军”
And mom said,”Boys, that’s the SalvationArmy.
他们照顾无家可归和没有东西吃的流浪汉
They take care of people that have no place to live and no food.
我们没有很多钱
And we don’t have a lot of money,
但我们今年可以拿出一个硬币
but we can afford a dime this year. Boys,
孩子们 记住
always remember in life:
在困难中帮人一把
give a little something to those in need, they’ll always
总有比你困难的人
be somebody that’s not as well-off as youare.
无论你在哪里 无论你走得有多远
No matter where you are or how far down you are,
都要懂得帮助他人”
try and help someone along the way.”
这句话震撼了我
It stuck with me.
我第一次无家可归时
The first time I was homeless I was
那时我22岁半 我还有一个两岁半的儿子
22-and-a-half years older and I had a two-and-a-half year old son.
当时我在
I was working as the Master
第二届年度体育度假休闲车展上
of Ceremonies at the Second Annual Sports Vacation Recreational
担任司仪 那个周末我有一笔款项
Vehicle Show and I had a check coming
需要支付
in at the end of the week. Well,
我回到家 我开着车
I came home and I drove our one
来到我们住的地方 当我就要下车
car up to where we lived and as I was getting
上楼到公寓门口时
out of the car and going up towards
我的妻子 — 我们当时很年轻
our apartment door my wife—we were very young, we got
在我20岁她19岁时我们结婚了— 我妻子下楼来 她说:
married at 20 and 19 years old—my wife wascoming down the stairs and she said,”I’m
“我要去仓库” 然后拿走了钥匙
going to storage,” and she took the keys.
当我进门时 我看到我两岁半的
By the time I got through the door I saw my little boy,
小儿子坐在
two and a half years old, kind
一堆衣服上
of just sitting there on top of a pile
上面有个纸条大概写着:
of clothes with a note that basically said:
“我坚持不下去了
“I can’t handle being a mom anymore.
儿子跟着你会过得更好
He’ll be much better off with you.
祝你好运”
Good luck.” Now,
当时 我还不知道的是
what I didn’t know also was
她为此已经预谋几个月了
that she had planned this for a few months.
几个月来她都没有付房租
She had not paid the rent
把钱藏起来 对此我一无所知
for a few months and kept the money and I didn’t know that.
她把我们仅有的一点银行存款都卷走了
She wiped out what little we had in the savings account
还开走了我们唯一的车
in the bank and took the only car we had.
而我却完全不知情
So unbeknownst to me,
两天之后我被房东驱逐 — 彻底的驱逐 房东把电断了
two days later I was evicted—completely evicted, power shut off,
她这次时间算的可真准
the landlord—she just really timed thisone.
而我还有个孩子 一个两岁半的孩子
And I had this little kid with me, two-and-a-half years old,
现在我必须又当爹又当妈
and now I had to be mom and dad
令人绝望的是 我连车都没了
and that was really a bummer, I had no car!
于是我就从一个好友那里借了一辆1951年产的凯迪拉克
So I ended up borrowing a 1951 Cadillac
这辆车的水管坏了
with a broken water pump from someone that was very,
我必须每四个小时就灌一次水
very dear, had to put water in it every four hours,
我们的日子就这样过着
and that’s kind of how we got going.
我第二次无家可归是 当我开始创建约翰保罗米切尔系统时
Second time I was homeless is when I started John Paul Mitchell Systems.
我知道我需要50万美元来筹建这个系统
I knew I needed $ 500,000 to start John Paul Mitchell Systems,
我必须筹到这么多钱
had to have that.
于是我们把赞助人排好顺序
So we had the backer lined up,
那时候我有一份不错的工作
I had a good job at the time,
住在一栋漂亮的房子里
lived in a nice house, and
我放下了我所有的东西 因为50万美元正在来的路上
I left everything I had because $ 500,000 was coming down the street,
我准备创立
I was going to start
一个公司
a company.
于是我放下我的所有
So I left it all behind.
我放弃了
I left what money I had
我和我妻子的钱—我们相处得很不愉快—还有那辆
with my wife—we weren’t getting along well at all—and the
最好的车
best car.
于是我就开着那辆老车 — 这辆车不错 就是很老了
And I took the older car—it was a good one but an older car,
开的很顺畅 — 我开着它
it ran good—down the hill
去拿钱
to get my money.
然后我就入住快捷酒店
I would check into an efficiency hotel
因为我经常出差 最终我会租套公寓
because I would be traveling a lot and eventually get an apartment.
当我沿着山路一直开时 赞助者退出了
When I went down the hill the backer pulledout.
没钱
No money. Well,
那天下午过后
it was later that afternoon that a friend
一个朋友找到了我 对我说: “约翰•保罗
of mind found me and said,” John Paul, please
请给英格兰的迪克•后泰尔打电话
call Dick Holthouse direct collect in England.
他有坏消息要告诉你”
He doesn’t have the best news for you.”
于是我就打电话给他了 他那边正是凌晨 他说:
So I got a hold of him, for him it was thewee hours of the morning, and he said,”J.P.,
“JP 赞助者退出了”
the backer pulled out.”
他退出的原因是
The reason he pulled out was,
美国的通货膨胀达到了12.5%
inflation in the United States was 12 and a half percent,
失业率10% 实际上不止10%
unemployment ten percent, actually over ten percent,
如果你能申请到借款
interest rates if you could get a
最优利率为17%
loan prime rate was 17 percent interest and
我们在伊朗还有抵押物 然后我们就在加油站
we still had hostages in Iran and we waited
排队
in line for gasoline.
那是1980年和1981年的大环境
That was the environment in 1980 and 1981.
那时候 我口袋里只有几百美元
Well there I was, a few hundred dollars in my pocket,
我当时太好强 无法低头问我妈妈
too proud to ask my mother if I
能否搬回去住家里原来的房间
could have my old room back
因为那样 她就可以照顾我几个月
in the home and she could feed me for a couple of months until
一直到我能够再次自力更生 我就这样失去了住的地方
I got back on my feet, and I just left my living situation.
我自尊心太强 太傻
I was too proud. Stupid,
太要面子
but very, very proud.
于是我就去看了我妈妈
So I went by and saw my mom
向她借了几百美元
and I borrowed a couple hundred dollars from her.
我说: “妈 我会还给你的”
I said,”Mom, I’ll give it back to you.”
她说: “儿子 你生活过得很好
She said,”Son, you’re doing really well inlife.
为什么你需要这几百美元呢?”
Why do you need a few hundred dollars?”
我说: “妈 我会还给你的
I said,”Mom, I’ll give it back to you.
我正在尝试新的东西”
I’m starting something new.”
就是那个时候我决定
And that’s when I decided I’m going
我要靠自己
to make it on my own; I’m
我不会告诉她
not going to tell her; lived
然后我就睡在车里
in my car;
洗澡我就去格里菲斯公园洗 他们那里有带淋浴的体育中心
showered down at Griffith Park because they had a sports center with showers
我学会了如何靠
in it, and learned how to live off very
一点点物质生存 挨家挨户推销产品
little and go ahead and sell products door to door.
我无家可归的时候
When I was homeless,
我脑子里想的不是 “天啊 我怎么沦落到这个地步了
on my mind was not “ Oh my god how did I get here?
是谁把我害成这样的?”
Who’s to blame on this?”
我脑子里想的是 “好吧”
What was in my mind was “ Okay,
我哭了一会儿 然后看到我两岁半的
” after I cried a little with a two and a half year
小儿子不知道该做什么 没钱 什么都没有
old son not knowing what to do, no money no nothing,
我第一个想法是
my first thought was, “ Okay, I
“好吧 我需要弄点钱”
need to get some money,
我不想去妈妈家 告诉她我过得有多惨
I don’t want to go to my mom’s house and tell her how bad things are,
我需要去赚钱 填饱肚子
I need to get money to eat.
那么—钱从哪来呢?
And—what sources of money?
我们一分钱也没有
We don’t have any money.
于是我开始四处收集空苏打水瓶
So I went around collecting soda pop bottlesfrom empty lots.
那个时候 一个杂货店
And at that time a grocery store or
或者饮料店的回收价格是 小瓶子两美分一个
any liquor store would give you two cents for a little
大瓶子五美分一个
one and five cents for a big one.
我四处收集了很多空瓶
I went around and collected a lot of them,
然后把它们换钱 我们就这样赚到了钱
cash them in and that’s how we got the money.
填饱了肚子
And so we were able to eat. Now,
然后三天之后 我被赶出了房子
when I got evicted out of the house three days later,
当时我22岁半
this was when I was 22 and a half
我被彻底的扫地出门
years old when I was completely evicted,
现在我有那部借来的车可以住
now we have that car I had borrowed to live in
我们吃的更多的是随意的快餐
and we went more towards fast foods that were halfway prepared
当时的快餐
for you, those were the early
就只能填饱肚子
days of fast food, just to eat.
几天后一个朋友找到了我
A few days later a friend of mine found me
他知道我在外面四处游荡
because he knew I was hanging out, talked
所以他告诉了我一个名叫李•迈尔的朋友
to some friends of mine named Lee Myer.
李说: “小翰 我有个房子有房间空余”
And Lee said,”Johnny, I’ve got a house withan extra room.”
他是一个骑行者 一个真正的有耐力
He was a biker, a real heavy
骑行者 他说:
duty biker, and he says,”
“你和你儿子来这住吧
You and your son can live here until
直到你们度过这次难关
you get on your feet.
没事
No problem.
如果你出去工作 我们这里有一些骑行者的妈妈
We could have some of the biker mamas take care
可以照顾你儿子
of your son while you’re working.
我们一起向前努力
Let’s move on.
我们可是好哥们儿” 这简直帮了我天大的忙
We’re buddies.” And that was a big helping hand.
我认为不管你有钱
I think whether you have money or do
还是没钱 一定要懂得回报他人
n’t have money it’s very important to give back.
因为是我们 我们所有人
Because it’s we the people,
我们所有个体让这个世界变得更加美好
the individuals that make the planet better, so that this
这样这些事情就不会再发生 别人就能过得更好
doesn’t happen again and makes it better forother people.
关键在于我们大家
It’s we the people.
如果我们不帮助他人 眼看着别人跌入谷底
If we don’t help others out and people start going down,
那我们怎么能指望
then what do we expect as future
未来当我们陷入困难时有人来帮助我们呢?
customers or future people to help us out if we were in trouble?
因此我认为每一个人都有这样的职责:
So I feel that every human being has the obligation:
为这个星球上的人出一点力
pay a little bit of rent for being on this planet,
做一些好事
to do something good
让他们的城市 他们的州 他们的国家 或甚至
for their city or their state or their country or even the
整个世界变得更好
world to make it a better place to live. Now,
如果你没钱
if you don’t have any money,
没关系 你可以
it’s okay: you can
像我一样无偿做一些事 比如当时我在格里菲斯公园
volunteer like I do when I didn’t
过感恩节和圣诞节 那时我没有一分钱
have any money at Thanksgiving,
但我还是把食物给了
Christmas up at Griffith Park in California, helping
那些无家可归的人 或者你也可以做一些事情来拉别人一把
feed the homeless or do something to help somebody else
让这个世界变得更美好
out to make the world a better
那么现在
place to live. Now,
谁从中受益了呢?
who benefits by this?
当你帮助
Whenever you do something
别人时 你完全不求回报
for somebody else and ask absolutely nothing in return you get
那你就能感受到人生中最大的快乐
the greatest high you could ever have in your life,
这种感觉让你和这个世界
and it makes you more connected with
联系更加紧密
the whole planet. Now,
很多人认为他们需要
A lot of people think they have to give
很多钱才能帮助别人
a huge amount of money to make the impact. Well,
我并不这么认为
I would disagree with them.
因为我还记得和我妈在一起时
Because I remember back with my mom,
我们当时真是一贫如洗 但我们依然认为
we had almost nothing, knew the importance of giving
给那两个小男孩的桶里放一枚硬币很重要
two little boys a dime to put in the bucket
因为她知道一枚硬币会变成许多枚硬币
because she knows dimes became many dimes,
许多美元和许多10美元
many dollars and many $ 10 bills,
你所给予的每一分钱都会得到回报 每一分钱
but every little bit gives back, every little bit.
所以不管你给的有多少
So no matter how little you give or how little
或者你花了多少时间 你都做了
of your time you donate, you’ve done a little
一点小事
something.
而恰恰是这点小事带来了改变
That little something makes a difference.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

无论你有钱还是没钱,记得帮助他人,为别人做一点小事,因为正是这些小事让我们的世界变得更加美好

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Abbi Gao

审核员

审核员 SC

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpV24tltyME

相关推荐