Improvement pill here.
这里是《激励胶囊》
A study was conducted in 2014 at Princeton University
2014年 普林斯顿进行了一项研究
where they separated a class into two groups.
他们将一个班级分为两组
The researchers had each group take notes
研究人员让每组学生用两种
for a class in two different ways.
不同的方式记课堂笔记
The first group was told to take notes by hand,
第一组学生被要求用手做笔记
you know the old-school method with a pen and paper
你知道这种老式的用笔和纸做笔记的方法
which was met with a lot of groans and complaints,
会让人怨声载道
because well it requires a lot of effort,
因为这需要很多努力
it’s time-consuming and it cramps up your hands.
很耗时 而且会让你累到手抽经
The second group was told to take notes
第二组被要求在
by typing it out on their laptop
笔记本电脑
or phone or whatever device
手机或其他设备上记笔笔记
which was a far more efficient way of note-taking.
这是一种更有效的记笔记方法
In fact,the second group on average
事实上 第二组学生
ended up with twice the amount of notes
平均每节课的
after each class,
笔记量是
compared with the pen and paper group.
用笔和纸那一组的两倍
Now the purpose of this study
现在这项研究的目的
was to figure out what method of taking notes
是找出那种记笔记的方法
would allow you to remember more of
能让你记住更多
what was being taught.
你所学的内容
So at the end of the semester,
所以在学期末
the researchers looked at the overall test scores
研究人员观察了这门课上
for all of the students in this class,
所有学生的总体考试成绩
and to their surprise,
令他们惊讶的是
the kids who took notes by hand,
用传统的纸笔
using the old-school pen and paper method
记笔记的孩子
scored twice as well as the kids
比用笔记本电脑的孩子
who used their laptops,
得分高出一倍
that’s a lot.
这太明显了
And at first the researchers thought okay
起初 研究人员认为
maybe having this group take notes by hand
也许这群人用手记笔记
somehow prompted them
可以促使他们
to study a bit more outside of class.
在课外多学习一点
So they conducted this study two more times.
所以他们又进行了两次研究
One time they tested each group
有一次 他们在课后立即
immediately after class
对每组学生进行测试
so they had no time to study.
这样他们没有时间复习
And the second time they gave a surprise test
第二次 他们在每个小组做笔记
to each group only a week
一周后给他们
after they took notes.
一个突击测验
And both times the kids who took notes by hand
这两次 用手做笔记的孩子
squirt about twice as well as the kids
都比用电脑打笔记的
who typed out their notes.
孩子得分高出一倍
What they discovered in this experiment is
他们在这个实验中发现了
what I like to call the effort principle.
我称之为努力原则的东西
努力原则
Essentially the more effort you put
从本质上说 你在记录
into recording a piece of information,
这段信息上投入的精力越多
the better you will retain it.
你就能更好的记住它
And I believe that this is a concept has a lot of value
我相信这个概念 在自我提升的
in the world of self improvement.
世界里有很大的价值
See one of the biggest issues
我自提升
with self improvement is the fact
最大的问题之一
that there’s so much information out there.
就是信息太多了
There are hundreds of thousands of
现在有成千上万的
books videos and podcasts.
书籍 视频和播客
But it doesn’t matter how much time
但你花了多少时间来消化
you spend consuming this information.
这些信息并不重要
Because if you’re not remembering any of it
因为如果你没有记住其中的任何一个
and internalizing the lessons,
并把这些课程内化
there’s no point.
那就没有意义了
Now I know I know I’m someone
现在我知道 我知道我是一个
who advocates listening to audiobooks a lot.
提倡多听有声读物的人
I tell you guys to do it all the time.
我一直告诉你们要这么做
But to be honest ,
但老实说
I don’t think just listening to audiobooks is ideal,
我不认为只听有声读物是理想的
it’s too easy.
它太容易了
It doesn’t require that much effort.
不需要太多的努力
In fact,back in the day I would often find myself
事实上 在过去 我常常会发现自己
listening to an entire book
听完一整本书
and just one or two week later
但仅仅一两周后
barely remembering any of the key concepts.
就记不住任何关键概念
So today I want to show you
所以今天我们想
a sort of note-taking mini habit
给你展示一种
that I created over the years
我多年来养成的做笔记的小习惯
that has allowed me to retain most of the key lessons
它使我能够从我所听的书中
from the books that I listen to.
记住大部分重要的课程
Quick little side tangent,
快速提一句
if you are interested in building habits,
如果你对养成习惯感兴趣
we do have a new program,
我们有一个新项目
the habit builder challenge
习惯养成者挑战
that teaches you exactly how to do that.
它会教你如何养成习惯
We sold out all of the seats in just a week
我们在一周内就把所有的座位都卖光了
and the program has been
到目前为止 这个项目
extremely successful so far.
非常成功
So if you want to gain access to this program
所以 如果你想在下次我们运行这个项目
the next time we run it
的时候访问它
,all you have to do is
你所需要做的
click on the link in the description box below,
就是点击下面描述框中的链接
to sign up for the waiting list.
注册等候列表
Now back to the topic at hand.
现在回到正题上来
The note-taking mini habit is essentially this.
记笔记的小习惯本质上就是这样的
See I carried these little
我随着带着这些
water proof notebooks with me.
防水的小笔记本
They are a bit smaller than my phone
它们比我的手机小一点
which makes them very easy to carry around.
所以携带起来很方便
And whenever I’m listening to a book
每当我在听一本书的时候
and I come across in a ha moment.
我就会突然灵光乍现
Basically a moment where the gears in your head click
基本上 就是当你头脑中的齿轮咔哒一声的时候
and something just
然后一些事情
makes a whole lot of sense to you.
就对你非常有意义了
Something that you know is a game changer
一些你知道的 你真正应该记住的事情是
that you should really remember.
改变游戏规则的东西
When that happens,
当这种情况发生的时
I will put in some effort to record that lesson down.
我将会努力把这个课程内容记录下来
For example a couple of weeks ago,
例如 几周前
I was listening to can’t hurt me
我在健身房听大卫·戈金斯
by David Goggins at the gym.
的《不能伤害我》
And I came across in a ha moment
当他谈到她他喜欢
when he talked about what he likes to call
称之为饼干罐方法的时候
the cookie jar method.
我灵光乍现
The moment I heard about this method
当我听到这个方法
I thought to myself.
的时候 我想
Wow,this is some powerful stuff.
哇 这是一些强大有用的东西
I need to remember this.
我要记住这一点
So I put down my weights,
所以我放下举重器材
I paused the audio book
暂停有声读物
I pulled out my little notebook and pen
我拿出我的小笔记本和笔
and I wrote down cookie jar method
写下了饼干罐方法
and I proceeded to write a short little summary
然后开始写一个关于它是什么
about what it was.
的简短总结
And after doing that
之后
I rewinded the audio by a couple of minutes.
我把音频倒带几分钟
Just so I could listen to that part again.
好让我再听一遍
If you take a look at this incident
你可能注意到这个事件
I’m putting in maybe 10 20 times more effort
相较于只是听听有声读物
into digesting this one piece of information,
我投入了10倍到20倍
as compared to if I just listen to it on the audiobook.
的努力 来消化这条信息
And because of that,
正因为如此
that lesson has stuck with me ever since.
这个经验从那时起就一直伴随着我
And to top it all off
最重要的是
when I really really want a lesson to stick with me.
当我真的非常需要一个经验来陪伴我的时候
I’ll actually go out of my way
事实上 我会在不久后的
and put in even more effort
一次谈话中提出这个问题
by bringing it up in a conversation soon after.
并为此付出更多的努力
I have some friends
我有一些朋友
that are interested in self-improvement
对自我提升很感兴趣
and when we’re just hanging out l,
当我们在一起的时候
I’ll talk about some of the new concepts
我会谈谈我最近发现的
I’ve come across recently.
一些新概念
The moment you re-teach what you’ve learned,
当你重新被教你所学到的东西的时候
you’re putting in additional effort,
你正在付出额外的努力
which will cause you
这将会使你
to retain the information even more.
更加记住这些信息
This episode’s brought to you by
这一集是由
you guessed it audible.
你猜到了 audible带来的
Now that you know about the effort principle l,
既然你已经知道了第一个努力原则
you still have to read books and orders
你仍需阅读书籍和命令
to find powerful lessons,
来找到强有力的经验
that are even worth remembering.
这些甚至是值得记住的
This is where audible comes in.
这就是audible的用武之地
Audible allows you to find powerful lessons in places
audible可以让你在平时能够
where you normally be able to pull out a physical book.
拿出实体书的地方找到强大的课程
I listen to the audio books
当我坐长途飞机时
when I’m commuting on long flights,
当我一个人吃饭时
when I’m eating by myself
当我锻炼时
and when I’m working out.
当我锻炼的时候 我听有声读物
Go to www.audible.com/improvementpill
请登录www.audible.com/improvementpill
or text improvement pill to 500-500
或发送improvement pill到500-500
to get started today
来从今天开始
You will get a one free audiobook of your choice
你每个月将得到一本可选择的免费的
and two free audible originals every single month.
有声读物和两个免费的有声读物原件
Of course I recommend you guys to check out
当然 我推荐你们去看
can’t hurt me by David Goggins.
大卫·戈金斯的《不能伤害我》
It is a very powerful book
这是一本非常强有力的书
jam packed with powerful lessons
里面充满了我们都应该
that we should all remember
记住的强有力的经验
So definitely check that out,
所以一定要点击那个
besides that guys
除此之外
stay tuned
请大家保持关注
