未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

绘画如何让你获得自由|姗特尔·马丁

How drawing can set you free | Shantell Martin

So here we are.
此时此刻
I’m at home, as I’m sure many of you are, too.
我在家里 我想你们很多人也一样
And we’ve all begun to understand
我们都开始认识到
how our relationship with ourselves,
我们和自己
with each other
和他人
and the spaces we exist in
和我们所在空间的关系
can deeply impact our sense of identity and purpose.
是如何深刻地影响我们对身份和目标的认知
So much has dramatically changed.
很多东西都发生了翻天覆地的变化
There’s a sense of distance now unlike ever before.
现在我们有了一种前所未有的距离感
But what if I told you
但我若告诉你
that you could find a way from your heart to your hand
你可以找到一条重新连接
to reconnect again,
你的心灵与手的方法
and that through this practice and embracing this course,
通过这种练习和接受这个方法
I could help you to recalibrate your mind
我可以帮助你重新调整心态
so that you could explore this new reality with joy,
让你带着喜悦 热情 想象和希望
enthusiasm, imagination and hope?
去探索这个新的现实 你会怎么样?
And all it would take is a simple pen
所有的这些仅需一只简单的笔
To get you there,
为了让你找到这个方法
let’s go back to the beginning.
让我们从头讲起
As a kid growing up in a council estate in Southeast London,
作为一个在伦敦东南部公租房里长大的孩子
I was an outsider.
小时候我是个局外人
I’m the oldest of six kids,
我是六个孩子中的老大
and all of my siblings look very English:
我的弟弟妹妹都是典型的英式长相
blond hair, blue eyes, very cute.
金发碧眼 非常可爱
And then there was me:
然后是我:
half Nigerian, brown, with an Afro.
半尼日利亚血统 棕色皮肤 非洲卷发
So what happens when you look different
所以当你长相不同
and you feel different,
感受不同
and in many ways, start to think differently
并且在很多方面 你的想法开始有别于
from everyone and everything around you?
周围所有的人和事 会发生什么呢
How do you find your way out of a dark, racist, homophobic
你如何找到一条走出黑暗 种族歧视 恐惧同性恋
and very lonely place?
和孤寂之地的路呢?
This is where the pen comes in.
这就是笔的用武之地了
I started to draw.
我开始画画
So as you can see, I’ve got this pen,
如你所见 我有这支笔
and it knows where it’s going.
它知道自己要去往何方
And I’ve learned very well how to follow it.
我已经完全学会如何跟随它
And the first thing I did is I followed this line,
我做的第一件事就是跟随这线条
and I drew myself out of a culture
让自己摆脱
that was only telling me what I couldn’t do.
一种只会告诉我 不能做什么的文化
I trusted my pen,
我相信我的笔
and it led me to Central Saint Martin’s,
它把我领进了中央圣马丁艺术与设计学院
a very fancy art school in London,
伦敦一所非常高端的艺术学校
where I graduated top of my year.
我在那里以当年第一名的成绩毕业
However, I soon realized there wasn’t a place for me in London,
然而 我很快意识到伦敦并没有我的一席之地
because whether you wish to believe it or not,
因为不管你是否愿意相信
England is still a country
英国依旧是一个
that is rooted and functions within the class system.
植根于阶级体系并在其中发挥作用的国家
And as a young, black, gay female artist from a working-class family,
作为来自工人阶级家庭的年轻黑人女同性恋艺术家
I didn’t stand a chance.
我没有任何机会
So I left London and I moved to Japan,
所以我离开伦敦搬到了日本
where I didn’t experience people asking me where I was really from.
在日本没人问我究竟来自哪里
I was just another gaijin,
我仅仅是一个外国人
which, ironically, means “outsider.”
讽刺的是 这个词也有“局外人”的意思
I was immersed in a culture that honors both making and craft,
我沉浸在一种尊崇工匠精神的文化中
where people perfect their craft over generations.
在这里人们世世代代完善他们的工艺
It’s a culture that masters both time and space,
这是一种掌握时间和空间的文化
so that artists can truly create with freedom.
让艺术家得以真正自由地创作
And what I discovered was a place I wasn’t angry with.
而我发现的是一个不会让我动怒的地方
Tokyo hadn’t wronged me in any way.
东京没有在任何方面对我不公平
I could no longer create with anger or out of pain.
我再也不会出于愤怒或痛苦而创作了
I had to bravely allow myself to create from a different place.
我必须大胆地允许自己从一个不同的出发点去创作
And what I found is this incredible tool
然后我发现了这个神奇的工具
transcended a line on paper.
超越了纸上的线条
I found this thing
我发现的这个工具
that connected my head to my heart
它把我的大脑和心连接起来
and my hand to everything.
把我的手和一切联系起来
I could see the world in new ways.
我可以用新的方式看世界
I found connections in corners
我在不起眼处找到了联系
and the solutions to problems I never knew existed.
并意外发现一些问题的答案早已存在
It’s like the world with all its positive and negative spaces
这就像世界所有正面和负面
could now be seen.
如今都在你的眼中
And just by seeing it,
只要看到它
there was no longer any fear.
就不再有任何恐惧
It’s like my pen was a flashlight,
就像我的笔是一个手电筒
and the unknown was still there,
未知的东西依旧在那里
but it wasn’t scary.
却不再让人害怕
After five years of living in Japan and focusing on my craft,
在日本过了五年专注于画艺的生活后
I felt like I needed a new challenge.
我觉得我需要一个新的挑战
So I moved to New York,
所以我搬去了纽约
because that’s what you do as an artist, right?
因为这是作为一个艺术家该做的 不是吗
You move to the greatest city in the world
你搬去世界上最伟大的城市
that has the ability
这座城市能让你
to make you feel completely and utterly invisible.
感觉自己彻底地隐身了
This is when I began to truly ask myself,
正是此时 我开始真正的问自己
“Who are you?”
你是谁
I would wake up in the morning, and before I began my day,
在早上醒来 开始新的一天之前
I would meditate on this.
我会沉思这个问题
And with this question in mind,
心中带着这个问题
I kept drawing.
我持续绘画
I followed the line.
我跟随着笔下的线条
I let it lead the way.
让它为我领路
The process of picking up a pen,
拿起笔的过程
something everyone has access to,
是每个人都可以做到的
the act of giving myself permission to let go
允许自己放下
of all thoughts, all fears, insecurities —
所有的想法 所有的恐惧 不安——
anything that would get in the way
放下任何阻碍自己
of allowing myself to be completely me —
成为完全自我的东西——
that became my way of experiencing freedom.
这个举动成为我体验自由的方式
When I got to New York,
当我到了纽约
I didn’t want to play by the rules of the art world.
我没有想要按照艺术世界的方式去生活
I continued my practice as an outsider.
我还是继续做一个局外人
I kept drawing.
继续绘画
Curiosity became the ink for my pen,
好奇成为了笔的墨水
and I continued to dive deeper.
然后我继续往下潜
Over time, I began to create a bold, confident space for myself,
渐渐地 我开始为自己创造一个大胆自信的空间
a space that was all my own.
一个完全属于我的空间
Initially, it was just my bedroom.
最开始 那个空间只是我的卧室
But that bedroom ended up in “The New York Times,”
但是那间卧室最终登上了《纽约时报》
and suddenly, I was being seen and known
突然间 我创造的这个世界
for this world I had created.
让我被世人所见 所知
Since then,
从那时起
I’ve created and collaborated with some of the most unique artists,
我和一些最独特的艺术家 机构和空间
institutions and spaces,
去合作创造
from the screens of Times Square,
从时代广场的屏幕
to the New York City Ballet for their incredible artist series,
到纽约芭蕾舞团了不起的艺术家系列
where I interviewed a number of dancers.
在那里我采访了一些舞者
Their stories and words became the foundation
以他们的故事和话语为基础
of over 30 drawings and artworks,
创造了30多幅画作和艺术品
which took over the promenade walls,
它们占据了长廊墙壁
windows and floors.
占据了窗户和地板
For a long time,
在很长一段时间里
I wanted to create a space for contemplation and poetry.
我总想为沉思和诗歌创造一个空间
And in 2019,
在2019年
I was given the opportunity to do just that
总督岛信托基金
by the Trust of Governor’s Island.
给了我这样做的机会
They provided me with the perfect “canvas”
他们为我提供了完美的“画布”
in the form of a former military chapel.
那就是曾经的军事教堂
Meet “The May Room.”
欢迎来到 “心愿室”
With drawings on the exterior inspired by the history of the island,
通过受岛屿历史启发创作的教堂外墙绘画
you walk inside, you take your shoes off,
你走进里面 脱下鞋子
and there’s a drawing on the floor in the form of a maze
地板上是一幅迷宫形式的绘画
that brings you back to you.
将你带回到自己身边
It’s an invitation to become calm.
这是在邀请你变平静
And this allows you to see phrases on the wall.
你可以看到墙上散落的句子
“May you be wise.”
“愿你明智”
“May you sleep soundly at night.”
“愿你夜晚睡得香甜”
“May we save trees.”
“愿我们拯救树木”
“May you,” “may you,” “may we.”
“愿你” “愿你们” “愿我们”
And these phrases seem like they’re rising from you
这些话语好像是从你嘴里冒出来的
or falling into you.
又或是坠落到你的心中
I’ve let my lines become much like a language,
我让我画的线条变得更像一门语言
a language that has unfolded much like life.
一种像生活般展开的语言
And when there has been silence,
当沉默时
I’ve sought connection through conversation,
我通过对话去寻找联系
asking questions to push through the discomfort.
通过提问来度过这种不适
Drawing has taught me how to create my own rules.
绘画教给了我如何去创建自己的规则
It has taught me to open my eyes to see not only what is,
它教会了我睁开眼睛 不仅要看到眼前的东西
but what can be.
还要看到有什么可能
And where there are broken systems,
当系统失灵时
we can create new ones that actually function and benefit all,
我们可以创造运转正常 惠及全体的新系统
instead of just a select few.
而不仅仅惠及少数人
Drawing has taught me how to fully engage with the world.
绘画教会我如何充分融入这个世界
And what I’ve come to realize through this language of lines
我通过线条的语言意识到的
is not the importance of being seen,
不是被看到的重要性
but rather the gift of seeing that we give to others
而是我们给予别人的“看”的礼物
and how true freedom is the ability to see.
能“看”到是多么真正的自由
And I don’t mean that literally,
我不是指字面意思
because sight is only one way in which one can see.
因为视力只是人们看事物的一种方式
But what I mean is to experience the world in its entirety,
而我指的是 全面地去体验这个世界
maybe even more so during the most challenging moments
在最具挑战性的时刻更要这样
like the one we face today.
就像我们现在正在面对的时刻
I’m Shantell Martin.
我是珊特尔·马丁
I draw.
我是画画的
And I invite you to pick up a pen
我也邀请你拿起一支笔
and see where it takes you.
看看它会带你去到哪
(Music)
(音乐)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

疫情被困在家觉得无聊吗?想要获得自由吗?试试拿起笔,让它带领你认识自己吧!

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Winnie

审核员

审核员OYN

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBUAY1wuw4

相关推荐