ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

帮助被教育系统忽视了的孩子们 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

帮助被教育系统忽视了的孩子们

Help for kids the education system ignores | Victor Rios

十多年来
For over a decade,
我研究那些被学校赶出来的年轻人
I have studied young people that have been pushed out of school,
也就是所谓的”劝退生”
so called “dropouts.”
当他们被教育体系放弃
As they end up failed by the education system,
其结果就是流落街头 在那里他们容易蒙受暴力对待
they’re on the streets where they’re vulnerable to violence,
警察骚扰
police harassment,
警察暴行
police brutality
和监禁
and incarceration.
我一次性追踪这些年轻人很多年
I follow these young people for years at a time,
来回于各机构间
across institutional settings,
试图了解我们当中某些人 所谓的”学校到监狱的输送管道”
to try to understand what some of us call the “school-to-prison pipeline.”
你看到这样的照片
When you look at a picture like this,
是我研究的年轻人
of young people who are in my study …
你大概看出问题了吧
you might see trouble.
我的意思是其中一个男孩的手上拿着一瓶酒
I mean one of the boys has a bottle of liquor in his hand,
他才十四岁
he’s 14 years old
而且那天是上学的日子
and it’s a school day.
当其他人看到这张照片时
Other people, when they see this picture,
看到的可能是帮派
might see gangs,
恶棍 问题少年
thugs, delinquents —
罪犯
criminals.
但我看到的与此不同
But I see it different.
从我的角度来看
I see these young people through a perspective
我看到这些孩子是能为教育系统带来宝贵资产的
that looks at the assets that they bring to the education system.
你们愿不愿意与我一起 改变我们给年轻人贴标签的方式
So will you join me in changing the way we label young people
从”有危险”改为”有希望”呢
from “at-risk” to “at-promise?”
[掌声]
(Applause)
我怎么知道这些年轻人
How do I know that these young people
有改变的潜力和希望呢
have the potential and the promise to change?
我知道这些是因为我曾是其中的一员
I know this because I am one of them.
事情是这样的 我在都市中的贫民窟长大
You see, I grew up in dire poverty in the inner city,
没有爸爸
without a father —
他在我出生前就弃我而去了
he abandoned me before I was even born.
我们领着救济金
We were on welfare,
有时无家可归
sometimes homeless,
多次处在饥饿中
many times hungry.
到我十五岁的时候
By the time I was 15 years old,
我已经已犯下三次重罪 被判三次监禁
I had been incarcerated in juvy three times for three felonies.
我最好的朋友已经被杀死
My best friend had already been killed.
不久后
And soon after,
我目睹了身旁的舅舅
while I’m standing next to my uncle,
被枪击中了
he gets shot.
我等着救护车的来到时
And as I’m waiting for the ambulance to arrive
已经超过一个多小时了
for over an hour …
以致于他在街上失血过多而死
he bleeds to death on the street.
我对世界失去了信心和希望
I had lost faith and hope in the world,
我放弃了体制 因为体制辜负了我
and I had given up on the system because the system had failed me.
我没能给别人什么
I had nothing to offer
也没有人能给我一些什么
and no one had anything to offer me.
我认命了
I was fatalistic.
我甚至认为我都无法活过十八岁
I didn’t even think I could make it to my 18th birthday.
我今天能够来到这里
The reason I’m here today
是因为有一为老师伸出关爱的手
is because a teacher that cared reached out
触动了我的心灵
and managed to tap into my soul.
这位老师
This teacher,
就是柔丝老师
Ms. Russ …
她是那种什么闲事都爱管的老师
she was the kind of teacher that was always in your business.
[笑声]
(Laughter)
她是那种老师 就像这样
She was the kind of teacher that was like,
“维克多 无论什么时候你准备好了 我都在这里”
“Victor, I’m here for you whenever you’re ready.”
[笑声]
(Laughter)
当时我还没准备好
I wasn’t ready.
但她了解像我这类年轻人的一个基本原则
But she understood one basic principle about young people like me.
我们就像牡蛎
We’re like oysters.
我们只在准备好的时候张开
We’re only going to open up when we’re ready,
如果我们准备好的时候你不在我们身边
and if you’re not there when we’re ready,
我们就会又关起来了
we’re going to clam back up.
当时柔丝老师在我的身边
Ms. Russ was there for me.
她理解我的文化背景
She was culturally relevant,
她尊重我的社区 族群以及我的家人
she respected my community, my people, my family.
我告诉她有关我舅舅鲁本的事情
I told her a story about my Uncle Ruben.
他带着我一起去工作 因为我一毛钱都没有
He would take me to work with him because I was broke,
他知道我需要钱
and he knew I needed some money.
他以回收玻璃瓶为生
He collected glass bottles for a living.
上学日早上的四点钟
Four in the morning on a school day,
我们把玻璃瓶扔进他的货车后面
we’d throw the glass bottles in the back of his van,
然后瓶子迸裂了
and the bottles would break.
我的手和手臂开始流血
And my hands and arms would start to bleed
我的球鞋和长裤上沾满了血迹
and my tennis shoes and pants would get all bloody.
我被吓坏了 觉得很痛 于是停下了工作
And I was terrified and in pain, and I would stop working.
舅舅直视我的眼睛并对我说
And my uncle, he would look me in the eyes and he would say to me,
[西文]Mijo
“Mijo,
estamos buscando vida.
estamos buscando vida.”
“我们在追求更美好的生活
“We’re searching for a better life,
我们要设法在一无所有中 创造出一些东西”
we’re trying to make something out of nothing.”
柔丝老师倾听我的故事
Ms. Russ listened to my story,
在课堂上分享并告诉我
welcomed it into the classroom and said,
“维克多 这就是你的力量
“Victor, this is your power.
是你的潜力
This is your potential.
你的家人 文化和社区 已经教会你勤奋工作的道理
Your family, your culture, your community have taught you a hard-work ethic
你将用它来激励自己并完成学业
and you will use it to empower yourself in the academic world
然后你就有能力回馈并给你的社区力量”
so you can come back and empower your community.”
在柔丝老师的帮助下
With Ms. Russ’s help,
我重回学校
I ended up returning to school.
甚至还如期修够了学分
I even finished my credits on time
和同班同学一起毕业
and graduated with my class.
[掌声]
(Applause)
柔丝老丝在毕业前对我说
But Ms. Russ said to me right before graduation,
“维克多 我以你为傲
“Victor, I’m so proud of you.
我就知道你做得到
I knew you could do it.
接下来要上大学咯”
Now it’s time to go to college.”
[笑声]
(Laughter)
我上大学?
College, me?
这个老师认为我会上大学? 开什么玩笑呢
Man, what is this teacher smoking thinking I’m going to college?
我在她的支持和指导下申请学校
I applied with the mentors and support she provided,
我收到一封入学许可信
got a letter of acceptance,
其中有这么一段话
and one of the paragraphs read,
“允许你来试读”
“You’ve been admitted under probationary status.”
我说: “啥 缓刑?我早就处于缓刑期了
I said, “Probation? I’m already on probation,
有什么差别?”
that don’t matter?”
[笑声]
(Laughter)
信上指的是学业上的试读而不是刑事上的缓刑
It was academic probation, not criminal probation.
但是如何才能像柔丝老师那样
But what do teachers like Ms. Russ do to succeed with young people
使我正在研究的这群年轻人取得成功呢
like the ones I study?
我提出三个策略
I propose three strategies.
第一:
The first:
让我们摆脱负面 缺失的教育教育观点
let’s get rid of our deficit perspective in education.
这些人来自暴力文化
“These people come from a culture of violence,
贫穷文化
a culture of poverty.
这些人危险 他们逃学旷课
These people are at-risk; these people are truant.
这些人脑袋空空 得由我们灌输知识
These people are empty containers for us to fill with knowledge.
他们问题多多
They have the problems,
有待我们去解决
we have the solutions.”
第二:
Number two.
让我们珍视年轻人带到学校的故事
Let’s value the stories that young people bring to the schoolhouse.
他们克服困难的故事 是如此地强大有力
Their stories of overcoming insurmountable odds are so powerful.
我确信你们知道这些故事
And I know you know some of these stories.
这类的故事和经验
These very same stories and experiences
蕴含着胆量毅力 品格和韧性
already have grit, character and resilience in them.
让我们帮助年轻人改善这些故事
So let’s help young people refine those stories.
让他们以自身为傲
Let’s help them be proud of who they are,
因为我们的教育体系 欢迎他们的家人 文化
because our education system welcomes their families, their cultures,
社区团体
their communities
以及他们学会的生存技能
and the skill set they’ve learned to survive.
第三 最重要的是
And of course the third strategy being the most important:
资源
resources.
我们必须提供年轻人充足的资源
We have to provide adequate resources to young people.
光靠胆量毅力是不够的
Grit alone isn’t going to cut it.
你可以坐在那里爱怎么讲就怎么讲
You can sit there and tell me all you want,
“孩子 你可以提著靴带把自己拉上来”
“Hey man, pick yourself up by the bootstraps.”
但如果我生来就没有靴带
But if I was born without any straps on my boots —
[笑声]
(Laughter)
要如何拉自己一把啊
How am I supposed to pick myself up?
[掌声]
(Applause)
职业训练
Job training,
指导
mentoring,
咨询
counseling …
教年轻人从自身的错误中学习
Teaching young people to learn from their mistakes
而不是将他们定罪
instead of criminalizing them,
把他们如同动物般地从教室里拖出来
and dragging them out of their classrooms like animals.
我们换种做法如何?
How about this?
我提议在全美的中学里实施恢复型正义
I propose that we implement restorative justice in every high school in America.
[掌声]
(Applause)
我们去洛杉矶的瓦茨社区测试这些想法
So we went out to test these ideas in the community of Watts in LA
有四十个中辍生参与
with 40 young people that had been pushed out of school.
威廉是其中之一
William was one of them.
威廉是那种被贴上各种标签的孩子
William was the kind of kid that had been given every label.
他退学 参加帮派
He had dropped out, he was a gang member,
是个罪犯
a criminal.
当我们初遇时 他非常抗拒
And when we met him he was very resistant.
但我记得柔丝老师曾说
But I remember what Ms. Russ used to say.
“嘿 只要你准备好了 我随时都在这里等你”
“Hey, I’m here for you whenever you’re ready.”
[笑声]
(Laughter)
经过一段时间
So over time —
他渐渐卸下了心防
over time he began to open up.
他转变的那一天 我记忆犹新
And I remember the day that he made the switch.
我们在一个团体的聚会中
We were in a large group
其有一名年轻女生
and a young lady in our program was crying
哭泣着讲述
because she told us her powerful story
她父亲遇害的第二天
of her dad being killed
报纸上刊登其父亲尸体照片的震撼故事
and then his body being shown in the newspaper the next day.
她哭泣时 我不知该怎么办
And as she’s crying, I don’t know what to do,
所以我给她尽情发泄的空间
so I give her her space,
而威廉已经受够了
and William had enough.
他双手拍桌 说道
He slammed his hands on the desk and he said,
“嘿 大家一起来抱抱吧 每个人都来”
“Hey, everybody! Group hug! Group hug!”
[掌声]
(Applause)
这位年轻女孩最终破涕为笑
This young lady’s tears and pain turned into joy and laughter
她知道这个群体是她的后盾
knowing that her community had her back,
而威廉立刻发现了他生命的意义
and William had now learned that he did have a purpose in life:
帮助他社区的人们愈合心灵的伤痛
to help to heal the souls of people in his own community.
他告诉我们他的故事
He told us his story.
我们改善他的故事
We refined his story
从一个受害者的故事变成一个幸存者的故事
to go from being the story of a victim to being the story of a survivor
他战胜了逆境
that has overcome adversity.
我们珍视他的故事
We placed high value on it.
威廉继续念到高中毕业
William went on to finish high school,
获得保安人员的证书并成为了一个保安
get his security guard certificate to become a security guard,
目前在当地学区担任保安的工作
and is now working at a local school district.
[掌声]
(Applause)
柔丝老师有个口头禅
Ms. Russ’s mantra —
她总会说
her mantra was always,
“当你的教导可以触及心灵 大脑就跟着心领神会了”
“when you teach to the heart, the mind will follow.”
伟大的作家纪伯伦说
The great writer Khalil Gibran says,
“苦难的煎熬造就了伟大的灵魂
“Out of suffering have emerged the greatest souls.
伟岸的品格烙印着累累的伤痕”
The massive characters are seared with scars.”
我相信在我们谈及的这场教育改革里
I believe that in this education revolution that we’re talking about
我们要邀请年轻人 和他们的灵性一起合作
we need to invite the souls of the young people that we work with,
一旦他们提升了
and once they’re able to refine —
认可他们已经发展完全的坚韧的性格
identify their grit, resilience and character that they’ve already developed —
他们的学业成绩自然就会提高
their academic performance will improve.
让我们对年轻人有信心
Let’s believe in young people.
让我们提供他们所需要的资源
Let’s provide them the right kinds of resources.
让我告诉你们我的老师是如何帮助我的
I’ll tell you what my teacher did for me.
因为她是这么地相信我
She believed in me so much
以致我也相信了我自己
that she tricked me into believing in myself.
谢谢
Thank you.
[掌声]
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述
听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

沙滩上的花已盛开

审核员

vicky

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOX3dlhhZ0

相关推荐