未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

快速失败――加速学习之路

Failing Fast Isn't Really Failure – It's Accelerated Learning | Astro Teller

大想法
big think
失败 恰当理解的话
Failure, seen properly,
就可以认为是一种快速学习
is just a recognition of fast learning.
所以我会用“辅助轮”
So I have training wheels,
即我尽量把这个概念放到X中来
which I try to put on this concept within X,
以此尽量让每个人都能舒服地接受这个想法
to try to help everyone get comfortable with the idea.
这里有个例子
Here’s an example.
你正忙于某个项目
You’re working on a project.
它可能存在某个薄弱点 也可能没有
It either has an Achilles’ heel or it doesn’t.
我们能找到这个薄弱点么?
Would we like to discover that Achilles’ heel?
如果真有 现在找还是以后再说呢?
if it exists, now or later?
如果你想以后再说
If you say later,
其实你就签了理性欺骗的条约
you’ve just signed up to be intellectually dishonest.
当然不是真去签条约
You’re not really going to sign up for that.
一旦你承认它应该存在某薄弱点
As soon as you acknowledge that should it have an Achilles’ heel,
我们就该知道 要现在处理而非以后再说
we’d like to know about that now rather than later,
那 对我们来说 该做的就是去行动
then it becomes the right way for us to behave –
去检查看看是否真的有薄弱点
to check to see if it has an Achilles’ heel,
就是现在 立刻马上
now, right now.
如果真有薄弱点
If it has the Achilles’ heel,
我们就可以结束计划 然后找更好的去做
we’ll end the project and we’ll go find something better to do.
如果没有呢
And if it doesn’t have an Achilles’ heel,
我们可以兴致勃勃地推进计划
we can move forward with that increased level
而且确定我们行进路线正确
of excitement and certainty that we’re on the right track.
我们假设 你正打算在X实验室造时光机
Let’s pretend that you are setting out to make a time machine at X
你有两个选择
and you have two choices.
一是让一个卵石或者一只老鼠
One, to cause a pebble or a mouse
回到一分钟前
to move backwards one minute in time,
事实上就是进行小范围的时间旅行 或者
to actually cause some small amount of time travel, or
为时光机驾驶舱设计用户交互界面
to design the user interface for the cockpit of the time machine.
我想 这个特例中我们都会同意
I think we can all agree in this particular example
选择致力于驾驶舱的用户交互界面
that working on the user interface for the cockpit,
一旦你成功 就大有成就了
once you get it done it will look like you’ve made progress
但你没有成功 就只是动动机器而已
but you haven’t, you’ve made motion.
我们可以一起坐这儿 看你的驾驶舱
We can all sit there, look at your cockpit
而且可以精确地说 我们成功几率
and say the chances that we succeed
跟之前人们的成功率完全一样
are exactly the same as they were before.
事实上我们没有任何进步 因为
We’ve not actually made any progress because
全部风险都在你没选的那一项里
all of the risk was on the part you chose not to do.
你首先应该做的是另一项
What you should have done first was the other one.
在X实验室 为了好记 我们戏称它为“猴子第一”
Our shorthand for this at X is we joke #MonkeyFirst.
跟时光机差不多
Similar to the time machine,
如果你正尝试让一只猴子站在
if you’re trying to get a monkey to stand on
某10英尺高的台座上并背诵莎士比亚的独白
a pedestal ten feet high and recite Shakespeare monologues
而且你可以选择先训练猴子
and you have a choice between training the monkey first
或者先建基台
and building the pedestal,
如果你老板过来时 你先把基台建好了
if you build the pedestal first when your boss
他可能说:“嘿 漂亮的基台!”
walks by he’s like, ” Hey nice pedestal!”
那么你会感觉良好
And then you feel good.
你刚做了些有用的事
You just did something useful,
刚得到了一点儿称赞
you just got a little bit of attaboy.
这就是人们会先这么做的原因了
That’s why people do that.
但是你已经完全浪费公司资金了啊!
But you’ve utterly wasted your company’s money
如果先建高台的话
if you build the pedestal first.
因为最难的部分
Because all of the hard part
是让猴子背诵莎士比亚
is getting the monkey to recite Shakespeare.
如果你能让猴子背诵莎士比亚
If you can get the monkey to recite Shakespeare
之后我们总能建高台的
we can always build the pedestal afterwards.
但如果不能建 万分庆幸 我们没
But if you can’t, thank goodness we didn’t
浪费一刻或一美分去建那个最终证明
spend a moment or a penny building what turned out it
是没用的高台
to be a useless pedestal.
现在 为了让人理解并践行X的这一文化
Now, in order to get a culture at X to do that,
我们需要在人们这么做时奖赏他们
we need to reward people when they do it.
所以当有人举手说
So when someone raises their hand and says,
“我的项目看起来真很好 但是我发现
” My project looks really good but I’ve discovered
它可能没法实现
I don’t think it’s going to work out,
因为存在这个微小但重要的问题”
because of this subtle but important issue,”
而且那十个人现在需要找个新工作了
and those ten people now need to find a new jobs.
如果我们说“你们简直糟透了”
If we say, ” Sucks to be you, “
X里永远不会再有人举手这么说了
no one at X will ever again raise their hand and say that.
但是如果我们对他们说“嘿 那很让人敬畏了
But if we say to them, ” Hey, that was awesome.
你表现的理性诚实以及发现这问题的
What incredible intellectual honesty you just displayed,
良好批判思维 多么令人难以置信啊
and good critical thinking to have discovered this.
我们将会超级努力地为你们所有人找到
We’re going to work super hard to find all of you
在X或者Alphabet里的新工作
new jobs somewhere at X or at Alphabet.
因你们如此贴心地结束项目 我们会付全部的奖金
We’re going to give you all bonuses for having ended your project so thoughtfully.
给你们放个长假 结束后
Take long vacations and then when you’re done,
回来加入这里的其他项目
come back and join another project here,
并继续以饱满的热情再开始工作
and get going again with extra levels of passion,
因为你享受你正致力于的事
because now you’re working on something.
你不会再隐隐觉得
that you don’t secretly know
未来在某处会失败了――那种如果你执着于
is going to fail at some point in the future, which is how you would
老项目就会有的那种感觉”
have felt if you had stuck on your old project.”
到他们不得不放弃项目的时候 人们会伤心的
People are sad when they have to end their projects.
他们结束得并不轻松
They don’t end of their projects lightly.
但他们已经明白
But because they’ve come to understand that
结束项目仅仅是变得理性诚实
ending their project is just being intellectually honest,
这是为了高效的推进
it’s driving for high efficiency,
这就是为什么我们把“工厂”跟月球发射器联系起来
which is why we use the word factory and tie it to moonshots.
因为我们正尝试系统创新
Because we’re trying to systematize innovation.
我们正尽力推动高效创新的实现
We’re trying to drive to high efficiency innovation.
而且要实现它 最好的办法
And that can best be done
就是你走错路时要诚实
by being honest when you’re on the wrong track.
这就是快速失败
And that is failing fast.
big think .com
【BIG THINK. COM】

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

快速失败对我们来说,是一种理性的诚实,让我们加速学习

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

蓝蓝蓝

审核员

赖皮

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkImaLUKXww

相关推荐