未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

脸谱网创始人扎克伯格的演讲|哈佛毕业典礼2017

Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg Commencement Address | Harvard Commencement 2017

Dr. mark Zuckerberg.
有请马克扎克伯格博士
I love this place
我很喜欢这里
Thank you all for coming out in the rain ,the pouring rain
感谢大家冒雨前来 还是倾盆大雨
we are gonna make this worth for you
我会努力让你们觉得不虚此行的
President Faust, Board of Overseers, faculty,
福斯特校长 督学委员会的各位成员 各位教职员工
friends alumni,proud parents, members of the ad board
各位校友 朋友 自豪的父母们 管委会的各位成员
and graduates of the greatest university in the world.
还有世界上最伟大的大学的毕业生们
I’m honored to be here with you today because
我很荣幸来这里
let’s face it,you accomplished something I never could.
因为 说实话 你们做到了我没有做到的事
If I get through this speech today
如果我今天能顺利演讲完
it’ll be the first time I actually finished something here at Harvard
这将会是我第一次在哈佛做完的事情
Class of 2017, congratulations!
2017届的同学们 恭喜你们!
now I’m an unlikely speaker today, not just because I dropped out,
很意外能来这里演讲 不仅是因为我辍学了
but because we’re technically in the same generation.
我们还是同一代人
We walked this yard less than a decade apart,
我离开校园不到十年
we studied the same ideas and slept through the same Ec10 lectures.
我们学习同样的知识 我们都在Ec10课堂上补过觉
We may have taken different roads to get here,
我们也许来时的路不同
especially if you came all the way from the Quad
特别是那些来自Quad园区的同学
but today I want to share what I’ve learned about
但今天 我想分享一下我所了解我们这一代
our generation and the world we are building together.
和我们正在一起创造的世界
But first, the last couple of days have brought back a lot of good memories.
首先 刚刚过去的这些日子让我想起很多美好的回忆
how many of you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing
你们有多少人还记得当你收到哈佛的录取通知书时
when you got that email telling you you got into Harvard
你在哪 在做什么
[Applause]
[掌声]
I was playing the video game Civilization and I ran downstairs, got my dad,
我当时在玩《文明》 然后我跑下楼梯 准备告诉我爸爸 不知怎的
and for some reason his first reaction was to video me opening the email.
他的第一反应是录下我打开邮件的视频
That could have been a really sad video.
(而我中途缀学)让那个视频看起来真的非常让人难过
I swear getting into Harvard is the thing my parents are most proud of me for,
我发誓 进哈佛仍然是我父母最为我自豪的事
my mom is nodding
我妈妈在点头
you all know what I’m talking about.
你们知道我在说什么
Look guys it’s tough to beat this you’ll see when you get out there.
现在想起来挺不容易的 你们到时候就知道了
How many of you remember your first lecture here at Harvard?
你们中多少人记得自己在哈佛的第一节课?
Mine was Computer Science 121 with the incredible Harry Lewis.
我上的是计算机科学121 超级棒的Harry Lewis老师的课
Harry ! [Applause]
Harry![鼓掌]
I was running late for class so I throw on a t-shirt
我当时快迟到了 所以随便套了件短袖
and I didn’t realize until afterwards I put it on inside out
直到后来我才发现
and backwards my tag was sticking out the front.
前后里外都穿反了 商标露在前面
I couldn’t figure out why no one would talk to me
我都不知道为什么没人提醒我
except one guy, KX Jin,
除了一个人 KX Jin
he just went with it.
不过他视若无睹
We started doing our problem sets together and now he runs a big part of Facebook.
我们后来一起解决问题 现在他是Facebook的一员大将
And that, Class of 2017, is why you should be nice to people.
所以 2017届的同学们 记得要与人为善
But my best memory from Harvard was meeting Priscilla.
不过我在哈佛最美好的记忆是遇见普里西拉
I had just launched this prank website Facemash,
当时我刚上线了自己的网站:Facemash 只是玩玩而已
and the ad board wanted to “see me”.
然后管理委员会表示“要见我”
Everyone thought I was going to get kicked out.
每个人都以为我要被开除了
my parents drove up here to help me pack my stuff.
我的父母来帮我打包行李
My friends threw me a going away party.
我的朋友给我开了个告别会
who does that?
谁做的这件事?
As luck would have it, Priscilla was at that party with her friend.
幸运的是 Priscilla和她的朋友来了
we met in line for the bathroom in the FO ho bell tower,
我们在Pfoho Belltower的卫生间外排队时相遇了
and then what must be one of the all-time most romantic lines
在这最浪漫的一次排队中
I turned her and said I’m getting kicked out in three days,
我转过头说 我将会在三天内被开除
so we need to go on a date quickly.”
所以我们要快点去约会”
Actually, any of you graduating can use that line.
其实你们都可以用这招
I’m getting kicked out today we need to go on a date fast.
我今天就要被“开除”了 所以我们得赶快约会
I didn’t end up getting kicked out
我没有被开除
I did that to myself.
而是自己退学了
Priscilla and I started dating.
Priscilla和我开始约会
You know that movie made it seem like Facemash was so important to starting Facebook.
你们知道 那部电影让大家觉得 Facemash对于Facebook的诞生似乎很重要
It wasn’t.
其实不太重要
but without Facemash I never would have met Priscilla,
但是如果没有Facemash 我就不会遇到Priscilla
and Priscilla is the most important person in my life.
她是我生命中最重要的人
So you could say it was the most important thing I built in my time here.
所以可以说登录Facemash是我在这里做过的最重要的事
We’ve all started lifelong friendships here, and some of us even families.
我们在这里获得一生珍重的友谊 甚至有人获得了“家人”
That’s why I’m so grateful to this place.
所以我对这个地方由衷地感激
Thanks, Harvard.
谢谢你 哈佛
Today I want to talk about purpose.
今天我想要谈谈“目标”
but I’m not here to give you the standard commencement about finding your purpose.
但并不是要给你们一个标准答案式的“找到目标”毕业典礼
We’re millennials.
我们是“千禧一代”
We’ll try to do that instinctively.
我们会本能地去尝试
Instead, I’m here to tell you finding your purpose isn’t enough.
所以我来这是要告诉你们 只找到自己的目标是不够的
the challenge for our generation is to create a world where everyone has a sense of purpose.
我们这一代面临的挑战 是创造一个人人都有“目标感”的世界
One of my favorite stories is when JFK went to go visit the NASA Space Center,
我最喜欢的故事之一 是肯迪尼总统在参观NASA宇航中心时
he saw janitor holding a broom and he asked him what he was doing,
他看到一个清洁工拿着扫帚 就走过去问清洁工在干什么
The janitor replied: “Mr. President, I’m helping put a man on the moon”.
清洁工回答说:“总统 我在帮忙把一个人送上月球”
purpose is that feeling that you are a part of something bigger than yourself
“目标感”就是一种“我们是某种比自身更大的事物的一部分”的感觉
that you are needed, that we have something better ahead to work for.
我们感到被需要 感到有更好的事情等待着我们为之努力
Purpose is what creates true happiness.
“目标”能带来真正的快乐
You’re graduating at a time when this is especially important.
你们毕业于“目标感”十分重要的时代
what our parents graduated that sense of purpose reliably
我们的父母毕业时的 “目标”
came from your job your church your community.
来源于工作 教堂 社区
But today, technology and automation are eliminating many jobs.
然而在今天 科技和自动化淘汰了很多工作
Membership in communities is declining.
社区里的会员也在衰减
And a lot of people are feeling disconnected and depressed,
许多人感到孤单和沮丧
and are trying to fill a void in their lives.
想要填补心中的空缺
As I’ve traveled around, I’ve sat with children in juvenile detention and opioid addicts,
当我四处旅行时 我与少年管教所还有类鸦片成瘾的孩子们坐在一起
who told me that maybe their lives would have turned out differently
他们告诉我 如果他们有事情做 他们的生活会大有不同
if they just had something to do, an after school program or somewhere to go.
比如说课后项目 或者某个去处
I’ve met factory workers who know their old jobs aren’t coming back
我也遇见过一些工厂工人们 他们知道往日的工作已经消逝了
and are just trying to find their path ahead.
并且正尝试着找到自己的位置
for our society to keep moving forward we have a generational challenge,
为了推动社会的发展 我们这一代面临着挑战
to not only create new jobs but create a renewed sense of purpose I
不仅要创造新的工作机会 还要复兴我们的“目标感”
I remember the night I launched Facebook from my little dorm in Kirkland House.
我记得在我Kirkland House的小宿舍里上线Facebook的那天晚上
I went to Noch’s with my friend KX.
我的朋友KX和我一起去了Noch’s
And I remember telling him clearly that
我记得我曾告诉他
I was excited to help connect the Harvard community,
连接哈佛社区让我感到很兴奋
but one day someone would connect the whole world.
总有一天某人会把整个世界连接在一起
The thing is, it never even occurred to me that someone might be us.
不过呢 我从来没想到那个“某人”竟然就是我们
We were just college kids.
我们只不过是年轻的大学生而已
We didn’t know anything about that.
我们完全想不到
There were all these big technology companies with resources.
有那么多掌握着资源的大型科技公司
I just assumed one of them would do it.
我只是觉得它们中的某个会做到
But this idea was so clear to us that all people want to connect,
不过这个想法对我们来说是如此清晰:所有人都想要联系
so we just kept working on it day after day after day.
所以我们就一天天地向前推进
I know a lot of you will have your own stories just like this.
我知道你们中的很多人都有类似的故事
A change in the world that seems so clear.
世界上的某个改变 让你们确信
You are sure someone else is going to do it,
其他人会去完成你的想法
but they’re not,you will.
但是他们没有做到 你能
But it’s not enough to have purpose yourself.
但是仅仅自己拥有目标是不够的
You also have to create a sense of purpose for others.
你必须要为他人创造一种“目标感”
I found that out the hard way.
这是我历经磨难才明白的
You see, my hope was never to build a company,
我从来没想过要成立公司
I wanted to have an impact.
只不过是想造成一些影响
As all these people started joining us,
而当其他人开始加入我们时
I just assumed that that’s what they wanted to do too.
我就假定他们和我的想法一样
So I never explained what I hoped we’d build.
所以我从来没有解释过我们的目标
A couple years in, some big companies wanted to buy us.
几年后 一些大公司想买下我们
I didn’t want to sell.
但我不想卖
I wanted to see if we could connect more people.
我想看看我们能不能让更多人联系在一起
We were building the first version of newsfeed at the time,
我们那时正在建设News Feed
and I thought if we could just launch this,
我觉得如果我们能做到的话
could change how we learn about the world.
它将改变我们对世界的看法
Nearly everyone else wanted to sell.
但是几乎所有人都想把公司卖掉
Without a sense of higher purpose, this was the startup dream come true.
我们的创业梦想实现时 并没有一种更高的目标感
It tore our company apart.
卖不卖公司的争执让公司分裂
after one particularly tense argument,
在一次激烈的讨论后
one of my closest advisors told me if I didn’t agree to sell the company right now,
我最亲近的顾问告诉我说 如果现在不同意卖掉公司
I would regret that decision the decision for the rest of my life.
我会因为做出这个决定后悔终身
relationships were so afraid that within a year or so,
大家的关系在这年变得紧张起来
every single person on our management team was gone
管理团队的伙伴们一个个离开
That was my hardest time leading Facebook.
那是我领导Facebook渡过的最艰难的一段时光
I believed in what we were doing, but I felt alone.
我相信我们所做的是正确的 可是我感到很孤单
And worse, it was my fault.
更糟糕的是 这一切因我而起
I wondered if I was just wrong an impostor a 22 year old kid
我想知道自己是否做错了 是否变成了骗子
who had no idea how things actually worked.
一个22岁的年轻人搞不清楚这些问题
now years later, I understand it that is how things work
现在 几年过去了 我明白了
when there’s no sense of higher purpose,
这就是没有更高的目标感时会发生的事情
so it’s up to all of us to create it so we can all keep moving forward together.
它由我们亲手创造 因此我们得以不断向前进
And today I want to talk about three ways that we can create a world
今天 我想谈谈三种
where everyone has a sense of purpose.
创造充满目标感的世界的方法
By taking on big meaningful projects together,by redefining equality,
1.一起接手有意义的大项目
so everyone has the freedom to pursue their purpose,
2.重新定义平等 让所有人都有追求目标的自由
and by building community across the world.
3 通过建造连接全球的社区
First, let’s take on big meaningful projects.
首先 让我们一起接手充满意义的大项目
Our generation will have to deal with
我们这一代不得不面对数千万计被自动化取代的工作
tens of millions of jobs replaced by automation like self-driving cars and trucks.
比如说自动驾驶的汽车和卡车
But we have the potential to do so much more than that.
但是我们有潜能一起做到更多事情
Every generation has its defining works.
每一代人都有他们典型的工作
more than three hundred thousand people work to put that man on the moon including that janitor.
超过三十万人 甚至包括清洁工一起勤奋工作 只为了把一个人送上月球
Millions of volunteers immunized children around the world against polio,
数以百万计的志愿者给全世界的孩子们接种脊髓灰质炎疫苗
and millions of more people built the Hoover dam and other great projects.
超过百万的人们建造了胡佛大坝还有其他宏伟工程
Now it’s our turn to do great things.
现在轮到我们去完成伟大事业了
now I know maybe you’re thinking I don’t know how to build a dam,
我知道你们或许会想:我不知道怎么造大坝
I don’t know how to get a million people involved in anything.
也不知道怎样让百万多人一起做某事
well let me tell you a secret,
不过让我告诉你们一个秘密:
no one does when they begin,
没有人在一开始的时候就知道要怎样做
Ideas don’t come out fully formed.
想法在一开始都不会是完美的
They only become clear as you work on them.
它们只会在你努力去做的时候逐渐完善
You just have to get started.
你必须要开始去尝试
If I had to know everything about connecting people before I got started,
如果我必须在一开始就懂得关于把人们联系起来的一切
I never would have built Facebook started Facebook.
那我永远也不会创建Facebook
Movies and pop culture get this all wrong.
电影和流行文化都弄错了
The idea of a single eureka moment is a dangerous lie.
靠灵光乍现就能取得成功 是危险的谎言
It makes us feel inadequate since we haven’t had ours.
它让我们觉得准备不够充分 因为我们并没有清晰完整的想法
It prevents people with seeds of good ideas from getting started.
它阻碍了那些拥有好主意萌芽的人们去践行
Oh, you know what else movies get wrong about innovation?
噢 你们知道还有什么电影误解了创新吗?
No one writes math formulas on glass.Ok?
没有人会在草地上写数学公式
All right,that’s not a thing.Okay?
那是不存在的
It’s really good to be idealistic.
理想主义是挺好的
But be prepared to be misunderstood.
不过可要做好被误解的准备
Anyone working on a big vision will get called crazy, even if you end up right.
放眼大局去行动的人都会被视为狂人 即使你最后成功了也一样
Anyone taking on a complex problem is going to get blamed for not fully understanding it,
致力于复杂问题的人 都会被怪罪说没有充分理解其困难
even though it’s impossible to know everything upfront.
即使提前理解所有事是不可能的
Anyone taking initiative will get criticized for moving too fast,
创新的人都会被批评说太过超前
because there’s always someone who wants to slow you down.
因为总有人想要拖慢你
And our society we often don’t take on big things,
在社会中 我们通常不会去“做大事”
because we’re so afraid of making mistakes.
因为我们是如此地害怕犯错
That we ignore all the things wrong today if we do nothing.
以至于我们忽略了什么也不做所带来的恶果
The reality is, anything we do today,is going to have some issues in the future.
事实上 我们做的任何事在未来都会出问题
But that can’t stop us from getting started.
但是这并不能阻止我们开始
So what are we waiting for?
所以 我们还在等什么?
It is time for our generation defining great works.
现在是我们定义公共工作的时候
How about stopping climate change before we destroy the planet
比如 在地球毁灭之前阻止气候巨变
and getting millions of people involved manufacturing and installing solar panels?
还有让百万人加入到太阳能板的制造和安装中
How about curing all diseases and getting people involved by asking volunteers to share their health data track their health data and share their genomes?
比如治愈所有的疾病 还有让志愿者们记录健康数据 分享他们的基因组
You know today our society spend more than 50 times as much treating people were sick
如今 我们花费在治疗病人时的钱
as we invest in finding cures so people get don’t get sick in the first place.
比花费在寻找治愈方法上的多50倍
That makes no sense.
那是避重就轻的
We can fix this.
我们其实能解决这个问题
how about modernizing democracy so everyone can vote online.
再比如将民主现代化 让每个人都能线上参与选举
how about personalizing education so everyone can learn.
还有教育个人化 让每个人都能学习
These achievements are within our reach.
这些成就是我们能做到的
Let’s do them all in a way that gives everyone in our society a role.
让我们用一种社会人人都能参与进来的方式去做这些事
Let’s do big things, not only to create progress, but to create purpose.
让我们一起建设伟大事业 不仅为了取得进步 更为了创造目标
so taking on big meaningful projects together is the first thing we can do to create a world where everyone
所以着手去做充满意义的事业 是创造人人都有目标感的
where everyone has a sense of purpose.
世界的第一步
The second is redefining equality to give everyone the freedom they need to pursue purpose.
第二:重新定义平等 这样每个人都有追求自我目标的自由
Now,many of our parents had stable jobs throughout their careers.
大多我们的父辈 一份稳定的工作一做就是一生
but in order generation we’re all a little entrepreneurial
但是在我们这一代 我们多少都是创业者
whether we’re starting our own projects or finding our role in another one.
无论我们是开始我们自己的项目还是在其他地方发挥作用
And that’s great.
那很好
because our culture of entrepreneurship is how we create so much progress.
我们的企业家精神文化是 怎样才能取得飞跃
And, an entrepreneurial culture thrives when it’s easy to try lots of new ideas.
现在 随着将创意付诸实践越来越容易 我们的这种企业家精神也逐渐壮大
Facebook wasn’t the first thing I built.
脸书并不是我做的第一件事
I also built games, chat systems, study tools and music players.
我也做游戏 聊天系统 学习工具和音乐播放工具
I’m not alone.
我不是特例
JK Rowling got rejected 12 times before publishing Harry Potter.
JK罗琳在出版《哈利·波特》之前遭遇了12次拒绝
Even Beyonce had to make hundreds of songs to get Halo.
连碧昂斯在唱出《Halo》之前也写了无数首歌
The greatest successes come from having the freedom to fail.
伟大的成功来源于拥有失败的自由
Now today, we have a level of wealth inequality that hurts everyone.
到在今天 仍有伤害众人的贫富差距
When you don’t have the freedom to take your idea
当你没有自由去把你的想法变成一个历史性的事业的时候
and turn it into a historic enterprise, we all lose.
那是我们大家的损失
Right now our society is way over-indexed on rewarding successful
现如今我们的社会给成功者的奖励远远不够
and we don’t do nearly enough to make sure that everyone can take lots of different shots.
我们也没有尽力去使每个人能够去进行不同的尝试
Now let’s face it.
让我们面对这个问题吧
There is something wrong with our system
我们的制度在这方面有些问题
when I can leave here and make billions of dollars in ten years.
我能离开这里并在十年内赚上亿美元的同时
while millions of students can’t afford to pay off their loans, let alone start a business.
成百万的学生还不能偿还他们的贷款 更不必说 开创一番事业
Look, I know a lot of entrepreneurs,
听着 我认识很多企业家
I don’t know a single person who gave up on starting a business
但是从没听说过任何一个放弃开创一门事业
because they were worried they might not make enough money.
是因为没有赚够足够的钱
but I know too many people who haven’t had the chance to pursue their dreams,
但是我知道很多人他们没有去追求他们的梦想因为一旦他们失败
because they didn’t have a cushion to fall back on if they failed.
他们失败的话没有后盾
We all know we don’t succeed just by having a good idea or working hard.
众所周知我们不可能仅靠一个好点子或者努力工作任何一个获得成功
We succeed by being lucky too.
幸运也是成功的要素之一
If I had to support my family growing up instead of having time to code,
如果我不得不去支持我的家庭而不是有时间去编程
If I didn’t know I’d be fine if Facebook didn’t work out,
如果我不知道就算Facebook没有成功 我也能成功
I wouldn’t be standing here today.
我今天将不会站在这里
if we were honest we all know how much luck we’ve had to get to this point in our lives.
老实说 我们都知道在人生中能拥有现在这一刻 我们是有多么幸运
Every generation expands its definition of equality.
每一代扩展着平等的定义
Previous generations fought for the vote and civil rights.
以前的人们为了投票权和民主权力斗争
They had the New Deal and Great Society.
他们有新政(罗斯福总统时期)和伟大社会(约翰逊总统时期)
Now it’s time for our generation to define a new social contract.
现在轮到我们去定义一个新的社会契约了
We should have a society that measures progress not just by economic metrics like GDP,
我们的社会不应该仅仅用像GDP这样一些经济度量指标来衡量社会进步
but by how many of us have a role we find meaningful.
而是我们找到了多少有意义的社会角色
We should explore ideas like universal basic income to give everyone a cushion to try new things.
我们应该探索一些类似于全民基本收入的办法来使得每个人都有底气去尝试新的创意
we’re all going to change jobs and roles many times
我们都会经历几次换工作和在人生中扮演不同的角色
so we need affordable childcare to get to work and healthcare
所以我们需要可负担的儿童托管和社保
that’s not tied to just one employer.
使我们能安心工作 不必疲于奔命
We’re all going to make mistakes,
我们都会犯错
so we need a society that’s less focused on locking us up
所以我们需要一个不会因为一点错误
and stigmatizing us when we do.
就轻易否定我们的社会
As our technology keeps on evolving we need a society,
随着科技的持续发展
that is more focused on providing continuous education through our lives
我们需要一个更加关注终生教育的社会
and yes giving everyone the freedom to pursue purpose purpose isn’t free.
的确 给予每个人追求梦想的自由不是免费的
People like me should pay for it.
像我这样的人应该为其买单
Many of you will do well and you should too.
你们中未来发展也好的人也应该这样
That’s why Priscilla and I started the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
这就是为什么Priscilla和我发起“Chan zuckerberg”倡议并承诺用我们的财产
and committed our wealth to promoting equal opportunity.
去促进平等竞争
These are the values of our generation.
这是我们我们这一代的价值
It was never a question of if we were going to do this.
我们是否会去做这件事从来都不是一个问题
The only question was
唯一的问题是我们什么时候去做
when Millennials are already one of the most charitable generations in history,
千禧一代是有史以来最注重慈善的一代
In just one year, three of four US millennials made a donation
在一年中 超过3/4的美国千禧一代捐赠过
and seven out of ten raised money for charity.
超过7/10的人为慈善活动筹集过资金
But it’s not just about money.
但是这不仅仅是给别人钱的问题
You can also give time.
也包括花时间
I promise you, if you take an hour or two a week,
我保证如果你每周花两个小时去帮助别人
that’s all it takes to give someone a hand and help them reach their potential.
那对于别人来说将有极大的助力 去帮助他们开发潜力
Maybe you think that’s too much time.
现在 你可能会想这将花费我太多时间
I used to.
我以前也这么想
when Priscilla graduated from Harvard she became a teacher,
在她和我共事教育工作之前
before she do education work with me she told me
Priscilla刚从哈佛毕业的时候她成为了一名老师
that I needed to get my own experience teaching a class at first.
她告诉我我需要有讲课的经历
First I complained: “Well, I’m kind of busy.
起先我抱怨到:“你知道的 我很忙
I’m running this company.”
我经营着一家公司”
but she insisted,
但是她很坚持
so I taught an after-school program at the local Boys and Girls Club on entrepreneurship.
所以我就在课后时间教一些本地的孩子们关于企业家精神的一些东西
I taught them lessons on product development and marketing,
我教他们产品开发和市场
and they taught me what it was like growing up feeling targeted for your race
他们教我把种族作为努力目标
and what it’s like having a family member in prison.
和有一个被拘役的家人的感觉
I shared stories from my time in school,
我向他们分享了我学生时代的故事
and they shared their hope of one day going to college too.
他们也向我分享了他们有一天能步入大学的愿望
For five years,I’ve had dinner with those students every month.
五年来 我每个月都和那些孩子共进一次晚餐
One of them threw me and Priscilla our first baby shower.
他们中的一个参加了我和Priscilla孩子的洗礼
And next year they’re going to college.
明年他们将上大学
every one of them first generation and their families.
他们每一个人 首先在他们的家族中
We can all make time to give someone a hand.
我们都可以花点时间去帮助他人
Let’s give everyone the freedom to pursue their purpose.
让我们给予每个人追逐梦想的自由
Not just because it’s the right thing to do
不仅仅因为这是正确的事
but because when more people can turn their dreams into something great.
更因为当更多的人能把自己的梦想转化成美好的东西
we’re all better for it.
我们都会变得更好
Purpose doesn’t only come from work.
意志不仅仅来自工作
The third way we can create a sense of purpose for everyone is by building community.
我们为每个人创造目标感的第三种方式是创建共同体
And in our generation when we say purpose for everyone,
并且当我们这一代说“每个人”
we mean everyone in the world.
我们指的是世界上的每一个人
Now quick show of hands: how many of you are from another country?
快速举手 你们中有多少人来自国外
Now,keep your hands up.How many of you are friends with one of these folks?
现在 举起你们的手 你们中有多少人和这些民族中的一个是朋友
Now we’re talking we have grown up connected.
现在我们继续讲
in a recent survey of Millennials around the world what defines our identity,
我们在联系中长大 一项面向全世界千禧一代 关于是什么定义了我们的身份的调查中
the most popular answer wasn’t nationality, religion
多数人的回答不是国籍或民族
it was “citizen of the world”.
或伦理道德 而是“世界公民”
That’s a big deal.
那是个大事件
Every generation expands the circle of people we consider “one of us”.
每一代人扩展着圈子里的人 我们认为“我们是其中一员”
And in our generation that now includes the whole world
对于我们来说它现在引导着整个世界
We understand the great arc of human history
我们理解人类历史的最大弧度
bends towards people coming together in ever greater numbers
扩张着使人类永远的聚集在一起的巨大数量
from tribes to cities to nations to achieve things that we could not on our own.
从部落到城市再到国家 一步步实现我们自己做不到的事情
We get that our greatest opportunities are now global.
我们得到了最好的机会 如今世界是我们这一代人的
we can be the generation that ends poverty that ends disease.
止于贫困 止于疾病
And we get that our greatest challenges need global responses too.
我们完成最大的挑战需要全球参与 没有国家可以独自对抗气候变化
No country can fight climate change alone or prevent pandemics.
或阻止流行病
Progress now requires coming together not just as cities or nations,
现在的发展需要联合,不仅是城市间或国家间,也需要全球合作
but also as a global community.
交流
But we live in an unstable time.
但我们生活在一个变化着的时代
There are people left behind by globalization across the world.
世界的全球化问题留给了这个时代的人
And it’s tough to care about people in other places.
去关心生活在其它地区的人很难 如果我们对家里的生活
We don’t first feel good about our lives here at home.
感觉不好
There’s pressure to turn inwards.
这是来自内部的压力
This is the struggle of our time.
这是我们所处时代的斗争
The forces of freedom, openness and global community against the forces of authoritarianism,
自由 开放 世界社群力量与独裁力量
against the forces of authoritarianism isolationism and nationalism.
孤立主义 国家保护主义力量的斗争
Forces for the flow of knowledge, trade and immigration against those who would slow them down.
知识 贸易 移民自由流动的力量和与之对抗力量的 对峙
This is not a battle of nations, it’s a battle of ideas.
这不是国家之间的斗争 而是思想的斗争
There are people in every country for global connection and good people against it.
在每个国家都有人支持世界互通 也有人反对
And this isn’t going to be decided at the UN either.
联合国也无法做出裁断
It’s going to happen at the local level, when enough of us feel a sense of purpose
当我们当中许多人在生活中感到使命感 安稳
and stability and own lives that we can start to open up and care about everyone else too.
我们将在自己身边开始打开心扉 关怀他人
The best way to do that is to start building local communities right now.
最好是从现在开始就打造一个本地社群
We all get meaning from our communities.
我们都从我们的社群中汲取意义
who hears from Elliot house?
你们谁能听到埃利奥特的消息?
how about Lowell?
洛厄尔呢?
I know you guys found community because you literally live right on top of each other.
我知道你们找社区 因为你们在其他人的上部生存
And Mather?
马瑟呢?
Obviously not there.
显然不能从这儿得知
Whether our communities are houses or sports teams,
不管是什么社群:校群 运动队
churches or acapella groups,
教会还是音乐团体
they give us that sense that we’re a part of something bigger that we are not alone.
它们给我们归属感 使我们不孤独
They give us the strength to expand our horizons.
为我们开阔眼界提供动力
That’s why it’s so striking that over the past few decades
这也是为何近几十时年间 各种团体的团员数减少多至四分之一
as much as one-quarter.
如此让人震惊
That’s a lot of people who now need to find purpose somewhere else.
这说明现在许多人需要在其他方面找到目标
But I know we can rebuild our communities and start new ones because many of you already are.
但我认为我们能重塑社群 打造新社群
I met Agnes Igoye, who’s graduating today. Where are you, Agnes?
我见过今天的毕业生之一安格勒斯 安格勒斯 你在哪
Agnes spent her childhood navigating conflict zones with human trafficking in Uganda
她童年在战乱的乌干达度过 现在她训练
now she’s trained thousands of law enforcement officials to keep communities safe.
成千上万的执法者来维护社区安全
I met Kayla Oakley and Niha Jain, graduating today, too. Stand up,Jain.
另外今天毕业的凯勒和尼哈 也是如此 请站起来
Kayla and Niha started a non-profit
凯勒和尼哈创立了一个非盈利性组织
that connects people suffering from chronic illnesses with people in their communities
这将他们社区遭受慢性长期病的人联系在一起
who are willing to help out
谁乐意去帮忙呢?
in their communities willing to help. I met David Razu Aznar, graduating from the Kennedy School today. David, stand up.
将社区里患病的人与愿意提供帮助的人联结起来 还有今天从肯尼迪学院毕业的大卫 大卫 请站起来
David is a former city councilor,
他是前前市议员 在墨西哥市进行斗争
who fought to make Mexico City,
成功地使其成为第一个通过婚姻平等的拉丁美洲城市
the first Latin American city to pass marriage equality even before San Francisco
甚至早于旧金山
This is my story too.
这也是我的故事
A student in a dorm room, connecting one community at a time,
一个在宿舍的学生 与一个社会相连
keeping at it until one day we can connect the whole world
我们与整个世界进行联结
Change starts local.
变化从我们周边开始
Even global changes start small — with people like us.
甚至全球性的变化也是从小的开始的 从普通人开始
In our generation, the struggle of whether we connect more,
在我们这一代 是否我们联系的更多
whether we achieve our biggest opportunities,
是否能获得最大的机会的斗争
comes down to this– your ability to build communities and
归结为:你建造社区的能力和
create a world where every single person has a sense of purpose.
创造一个每个人都有目标的世界的能力
Class of 2017, you are graduating into a world that needs purpose.
2017届的学生们 你们正毕业进入到一个需要目标的世界
And it’s up to you to create it.
并且创造它是你们的义务
Now, may be you are asking yourself : can I really do this?
现在 你或许在思考:我真的可以做这些吗?
Well,remember when I told you about that class I taught at the Boys And Girls Club?
记得我跟你说过的 那节我在男孩女孩俱乐部里教的课吗?
that class I taught at the Boys and Girls Club
那节我在男孩女孩俱乐部里讲的课
One day after class I was talking to my students about going college,
一天下课后 我正向我的学生讲关于进入大学
one of my top students raised his hand and said that
一个顶尖的学生举起了手并且说他不能确保可以进入一所大学
he wasn’t sure he could go to college because he’s undocumented
因为他被记录在案
He didn’t know if they’d let him in.
他不知道他们是否会让他进入
Last year I took him out to breakfast for his birthday.
去年为了他的生日我带他出去吃早餐
And I wanted to get him a gift , so I asked him what he wanted
我想给他一个礼物 因此我问他想要什么
he just started talking about struggles that he saw,
他刚开始谈论挣扎他说
other student’s classes finishing and
其他学生的课程都完成了并且
finally said “you know I’d really just like a book on social justice.”
最后说:你知道的 我只想要一本关于社会公平的书
I was blown away.
我被震惊了
Here’s a young guy who has every reason to be cynical.
这是一个有各种理由变得愤世嫉俗的男人
He wasn’t sure if the country he calls home,the only one he’s known
他不能确定他称之为家的城市 他唯一知道的
would deny his dream of going to college.
是否会否定他进入大学的梦想
But he wasn’t feeling sorry for himself.
但是他并不对自己感到抱歉
He wasn’t even thinking of himself.
他甚至从未想过他自己
He has a greater sense of purpose, and he’s going to bring people along with him.
他有一个很棒的目标 并且他正在带人们加入他
It says something about our situation today that I can’t even say his name
这说明了我们今天的情况 我甚至不能说出他的名字
because I don’t want to put him at risk.
因为我不想置他于危险之中
But if a high school senior who doesn’t know what the future holds for him
但是如果一个高中生谁不知道将来关于他的线索
can do his part to move the world forward,
可以使他的一份力提前移动这个世界,
then we owe to the world to do our part too.
然后我们也要尽我们的一份力。
[Applause]
掌声
So before you walk out those gates one last time,
因此在你最后一次走出这些门之前,
as we sit in front of Memorial Church,
当我们坐在教堂前,
I am reminded of a prayer, Mi Shebeirach,
我被一个祈祷者密歇根提醒了,
that I say whenever I face a big challenge
我说无论何时我遇到一个巨大的挑战,
but I think to my daughter
但是我想到我的女儿
thinking her future when I tuck her night
思考她的未来当我与她晚上睡觉的时候
It goes:May the source of strength,
它是这样的:”力量的源泉是
who is blessed ones before us,
我们前面的人被祝福
help us find the courage
帮助我们“找到勇气”
to make our lives a blessing.”
让我们的生活有福气
I hope you find the courage to make your life a blessing.
我希望你可以找到勇气让你的生活有福气
Congratulations, Class of ’17! Good luck out there.
恭喜毕业 2017届的同学们 祝你们好运
[applause]
[鼓掌]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

励志演讲,激励人心

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

NALIEZM

审核员

审核员YX

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYv8XGl-YU

相关推荐