未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

每个孩子都是天才

Every kid needs a champion | Rita Pierson

我这辈子
I have spent my entire life
要么在学校 要么在去学校的路上
either at the schoolhouse,on the way to the schoolhouse,
要么在讨论学校里发生了什么事
or talking about what happens in the schoolhouse.
我的父母都是教育工作者
Both my parents were educators,
我的外祖父母也都是从事教育方面的工作
my maternal grandparents were educators,
并且在过去的40年 我也是一位教育工作者
and for the past 40 years,I’ve done the same thing.
因此 不用说 过去的这么些年
And so, needless to say, over those years
我从各个方面见证了教育的改革
I’ve had a chanceto look at education reform from a lot of perspectives.
一些改革是有成效的
Some of those reforms have been good.
而另一些却收效甚微
Some of them have been not so good.
我们知道孩子们为什么辍学
And we know why kids drop out.
知道他们为什么不学习
We know why kids don’t learn.
原因无非是贫穷 低出勤率
It’s either poverty, low attendance,
同龄人的坏影响……
negative peer influences…
我们知道为什么
We know why.
但是有一件事我们从未讨论
But one of the thingsthat we never discuss
或者极少讨论
or we rarely discuss
那就是人与人之间联系的价值和重要性
is the value and importanceof human connection.
这就是“关系”
Relationships.
James Comer说过没有强有力的联系
James Comer saysthat no significant learning
学习就不会有显著的进步
can occur withouta significant relationship.
George Washington Carver说过
George Washington Carver says all learning
学习就是理解各种关系
is understanding relationships.
在座的各位都曾被一位老师或者成年人影响过
Everyone in this room has been affected by a teacher or an adult.
这么多年 我都在看人们怎么教学
For years, I have watched people teach.
我看过最好的 也看过最差的
I have looked at the best and I’ve looked at some of the worst.
一次有个同事跟我说
A colleague said to me one time,
“我的职责不是喜欢那些孩子们
“They don’t pay me to like the kids.
我的职责是教书
They pay me to teach a lesson.
孩子们就该去学
The kids should learn it.
我就管教课 他们就只管学习 就是这么简单的关系”
I should teach it, they should learn it, Case closed.”
然后我就跟她说
Well, I said to her,
“你知道 孩子们是不会向他们讨厌的人学习的”
“You know, kids don’t learnfrom people they don’t like.”
她接着说 “一派胡言 ”
She said,”That’s just a bunch of hooey.”
然后我对她说
And I said to her,
“那么亲爱的 你这一年会过得十分漫长和痛苦”
“Well, your year is going to be long and arduous, dear.”
不用说 事实就正如我说言
Needless to say, it was.
有些人认为
Some people think that
一个人或者天生可以建立一种关系
you can either have it in you to build a relationship,
或者压根儿不具有这种能力
or you don’t.
我认为Stephen Covey是对的
I think Stephen Covey had the right idea.
他说你只需要做一些简单的事情
He said you ought to just throw in a few simple things,
比如试着先理解他人
like seeking first to understand,
而不是想要被理解
as opposed to being understood.
比如道歉
Simple things, like apologizing.
你想过吗?
You ever thought about that?
跟一个孩子说你很对不起 他们都惊呆了
Tell a kid you’re sorry, they’re in shock.
我有一次讲比例
I taught a lesson once on ratios.
我数学不是很好 但是我当时就是教数学
I’m not real good with math, but I was working on it.
我下课回到家 翻看了教师用书
And I got back and lookedat that teacher edition.
我完全教错了
I’d taught the whole lesson wrong.
所以我第二天 回到班上说
So I came back to class the next day and I said,
“同学们 我要向你们道歉
”Look, guys, I need to apologize.
我昨天的课都教错了 我很抱歉”
I taught the whole lesson wrong.I’m so sorry.”
他们说 “没关系 Pierson老师
They said,”That’s okay, Ms. Pierson.
您当时教得非常投入 我们就让您继续了”
You were so excited, we just let you go.”
我曾经教过很差的班级
I have had classes that were so low,
学业水平差到我都哭了
so academically deficient, that I cried.
我当时就想 我怎么能在9个月之内
I wondered,”How am Igoing to take this group,
把这些孩子
in nine months,
提升到他们必须具备的水平?
from where they areto where they need to be?
这真的很难 太艰难了
And it was difficult, it was awfully hard.
我怎么能让一个孩子重拾自信的同时
How do I raise the self-esteem of a child
在学术上也有进步?
and his academic achievementat the same time?
有一年我有了一个非常好的主意
One year I came up with a bright idea.
我告诉我的学生们
I told all my students,
“你们被选进了我的班级
You were chosen to be in my class
因为我是最好的老师 而你们是最好的学生
because I am the best teacher and you are the
他们把我们放在一起
best students, they put us all together so we
来给其他人做个好榜样
could show everybody else how to do it.”
一个学生说 “真的吗?”
One of the students said,”Really?”
我说 “当然 我们要给其他班级做个榜样
I said,”Really. We haveto show the other classes
当我们走在楼道里
how to do it, so whenwe walk down the hall,
因为大家都会注意到我们 所以我们不能吵闹
people will notice us,so you can’t make noise.
大家要昂首阔步”
You just have to strut.”
我还给了他们一个口号:
And I gave them a saying to say:
“我是个人物
“I am somebody.
我来的时候是个人物
I was somebody when I came.
我毕业的时候会变成一个更棒的人物
I’ll be a better somebody when I leave.
我很有能力 很强大
I am powerful, and I am strong.
我值得在这里受教育
I deserve the education that I get here.
我有很多要做的事 要让人们记住我
I have things to do, people to impress,
还要去很多地方”
and places to go.”
然后他们说:“是啊!”
And they said,”Yeah!”
如果你坚持这么说 它就会开始变成事实
You say it long enough, it starts to be a part of you.
我做了一个小测验 一共20个问题
I gave a quiz, 20 questions.
有一个孩子错了18道
A student missed 18.
我在他卷子上写了个“+2” 和一个大笑脸
I put a”+2″ on his paperand a big smiley face.
他说:“Pierson老师 这是不及格的意思吗?”
He said,”Ms. Pierson, is this an F?”
我说:“是的”
I said,”Yes.”
他接着说 “那你为什么给我一个笑脸?”
He said,”Then why’d youput a smiley face?”
我说 “因为你正渐入佳境
I said,”Because you’re on a roll.
你没有全错 还对了两个”
You got two right.You didn’t miss them all.”
我说“我们复习这些题的时候
I said,”And when we review this,
难道你不会做得更好吗?”
won’t you do better?”
他说 “是的 老师 我可以做得更好”
He said,”Yes, ma’am, I can do better.”
大家看 “-18”让人感觉想死
You see,”-18″ sucks all the life out of you.
“+2”意味着我并没有那么差
“+2″ said,”I ain’t all bad.”
好多年了
For years,
我看见我妈妈利用课间休息时间批改作业
I watched my mother take the time at recess to review,
下午去家访
go on home visits in the afternoon,
买来梳子 刷子 花生酱和饼干
buy combs and brushesand peanut butter and crackers
把它们放在自己的抽屉里
to put in her desk drawer
给那些饿了的孩子们吃
for kids that needed to eat,
还有为那些脏孩子们准备毛巾和肥皂
and a washcloth and some soap for the kids who didn’t smell so good. See,
很明显 教那些发臭的孩子是一件困难的事
it’s hard to teach kids who stink.
孩子们有时也会比较“残忍”
And kids can be cruel.
所以她把这些东西都放在她的抽屉里
And so she kept those things in her desk,
然后过了很多年 她退休以后
and years later, after she retired,
我看到一些当年的孩子们回来告诉她
I watched some of thosesame kids come through
“Walker老师
and say to her,”You know, Ms. Walker,
您改变了我的生活
you made a difference in my life.
您让它有了意义
You made it work for me.
您让我觉得我是个人物
You made me feel like I was somebody,
虽说在心底我知道我不是
when I knew, at the bottom, I wasn’t.
我就是想让您看看 我现在成为了个什么样的人 ”
And I want you to justsee what I’ve become.”
当我妈妈两年前以92岁高龄去世的时候
And when my mama died two years ago at 92,
有好多好多以前的学生 来参加了她的葬礼
there were so many formerstudents at her funeral,
让我热泪盈眶的 不是她去世了
it brought tears to my eyes,not because she was gone,
而是她留下了各种强有力的联系
but because she lefta legacy of relationships
并且这个联系永远不会消失
that could never disappear.
我们真的可以建立更多的关系吗?
Can we stand to have more relationships?
当然可以
Absolutely.
你会喜欢你所有的学生吗?当然不会
Will you like all your children?Of course not.
你也知道 那些最难搞的孩子总是很难甩掉
And you know your toughestkids are never absent.
永远不会
Never.
你不会喜欢每一个人
You won’t like them all,
然而难搞的那几个的出现也是有理由的
and the tough ones show up for a reason.
这就是联系 这就是关系
It’s the connection.It’s the relationships.
当你无法不喜欢他们每一个人的时候
and while you won’t like them all,
你要做到这些孩子永远都不会知道这一点
the kids they can never ever know it.
所以老师们变成伟大的演员
So teachers becomegreat actors and great actresses,
我们得强迫自己工作
and we come to workwhen we don’t feel like it,
我们得听从那些毫无道理的政策
and we’re listening to policythat doesn’t make sense,
我们还得上课
and we teach anyway.
我们怎么都得上课 因为这是我们必须要做的事情
We teach anyway,because that’s what we do.
教学和学习应该是让人愉快的事情
Teaching and learning should bring joy.
如果我们的孩子都不害怕接受挑战
How powerful would our world be
不害怕思考 都赢得了一个支持者?
if we had kids who werenot afraid to take risks,
我们的世界会变得多么的强大
who were not afraid to think, and who had a champion?
每个孩子都应该得到别人的支持
Every child deserves a champion,
一个成年人也永远不应放弃他们
an adult who will never give up on them,
懂得联系的强大力量
who understands the power of connection,
坚信孩子们可以变成他们可能成为的最好的样子
and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be.
这个职业面临的任务很艰巨吗?
Is this job tough?
还用问吗?
You betcha.
当然了 上帝 毫无疑问
Oh God, you betcha.
但是这不是不可能的
But it is not impossible.
我们可以的 因为我们是教育家
We can do this. We’re educators.
我们生来就是为了重塑学生的
We’re born to make a difference.
非常感谢大家
Thank you so much.
[掌声]
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

每个孩子都是天才,老师要会引导他们,引导他们成为一个有用的人。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

Rachel

审核员

审核员_BY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFnMTHhKdkw

相关推荐