未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

情绪性进食:减肥并不只跟食物有关?

Emotional Eating: What if Weight Loss Isn't about the Food? | Tricia Nelson | TEDxWestMonroe

[applause]
[掌声]
I reached my spoon down into the pint of praline pecan.
我把勺子伸进一品脱果仁核桃露里
It’s the perfect last bite,
最后一口都是最好吃的
gooey caramel swirling around creamy vanilla ice-cream
浇着粘稠焦糖的奶油香草冰淇淋
with two delicious maple pecans
加两个美味的枫糖山核桃
that will add just the right amount of crunch.
会增添恰到好处的酥脆口感
But I can’t enjoy this bite,
但我并不能好好享受这一口
you see I’ve not only eaten the entire container of ice-cream,
你看 我不仅吃掉了一整盒冰淇淋
but I’ve also devoured a full bags of popcorn,
还吃了满满一袋爆米花
half a package of cookies, and 26 Hershey’s Kisses.
半包饼干和26颗好时巧克力
I feel completely sick, disgusted,
我感觉非常恶心 想吐
I sweep up the remains and I throw them in the trash,
于是我把剩余的食物一把抱起丢进垃圾桶
vowing never to eat that kind of crap again.
发誓再也不吃那种垃圾食品了
I collapse on the couch.
我瘫倒在沙发上
After a few hours,
几个小时过后
the cookies in the trash call to me,
垃圾桶里的饼干呼唤我
Tricia…
崔西亚
and I answer.
我回应了它
In a trance I stumble over the trash can,
恍惚中我被垃圾桶给绊倒了
find the cookies,
找出里面的饼干
and polish them off.
把它们全部消灭掉了
Once again, my insatiable hunger
无休止的饥饿感再一次
drives me to new depths of shame.
让我坠入了羞耻的万丈深渊
What’s wrong with me?
我到底怎么了?
Why can’t I stop?
我为什么停不下来?
I’m such a loser!
我怎么这么失败!
By age 20 I was 50 pounds overweight.
20岁时 我曾超重50磅
I hated my fat.
我厌恶自己的脂肪
I had a roll of fat on my tummy
我肚子上的一圈赘肉
that I would scrunch up in my hands,
多到可以随意揉捏的地步
and I imagine cutting it off,
我想把赘肉切掉
like you cut fat off the side of a steak.
就像切掉牛排侧边的肥肉一样
I sometimes wished I’d contract a disease
我有时希望自己染上一种
where I’d automatically lose weight without having a diet
不用节食 体重就会自动减轻的病
I even considered joining the army,
我甚至考虑过参军
so I’d be forced to excercise at bout camp.
进了训练营就会被迫锻炼
I hated to exercise.
我讨厌锻炼
I was a yo-yo dieter,
我曾经是个“悠悠球”节食者
up 30, down 20, up 10,
涨30斤后掉20斤接着又涨10斤
and as a result, I had several sizes of pants in my closet,
因此 我的衣柜里总有几种型号的裤子
because I never knew what size I’d be.
因为我根本无法确定自己的尺码
My skinny jeans collected a lot of dust,
我的紧身牛仔裤已经积灰许久了
as I whiled away years
当我耗费了许多年
looking for the hidden solution to overcoming my weight loss problems.
去寻找隐藏在背后的减重解决方案后
I found that solution, I found that key,
我找到了答案或者说钥匙
and it wasn’t through a magic diet.
魔法饮食是不可行的
In fact, dozens of studies show
实际上 诸多研究显示
that diets generally have a dismal success rate.
那种饮食方法一般只有很低的成功率
Our recent study in the British medical journal
我们在英国医学杂志的最新研究
follows 22000 adults
对22000名成年人的
on one of fourteen popular diets.
14种流行节食方法进行了跟踪调查
They found that within one year,
他们发现一年内
participants regained all the weight they had lost!
参与者们减掉的体重全都涨了回来
Yet, if you do a search on Amazon right now for diet books,
但如果你马上去搜索亚马逊上的减肥书籍
you get roughly 50000 results.
大约会得到50000条结果
This was my experience.
这就是我的经历
No matter what diet I tried,
不论我尝试什么节食方法
of course, I’d start out strong,
当然 我一开始总是斗志昂扬的
I’m doing it!
我能做到的!
Looking good, feeling good, pants getting looser,
看起来不错 感觉也好 裤子也更宽松了
but then after a couple weeks,
但是几周过后
things started to get hard.
事情开始艰难起来
I mean, really hard.
我是说 真的很艰难
And in some point the tension in my gut will become so unbearable
某些时候 肠胃紧张得让我难以忍受
that I will just break down and binge.
会让我感到崩溃并开始暴饮暴食
And I always put the weight back on again,
所以我总是会一次次的胖回去
and then some.
甚至还会增重
So the million-dollar question is,
那现在的关键问题是
why did it get so hard?
为什么减肥变得这么难呢?
My experience is that when I would diet,
我的经验是每当我节食时
all the feelings I had stuffed with excess food would come to the surface,
吃得过饱的各种感觉就都浮现了出来
and I didn’t have the tools I needed to deal with them.
而我又没有处理这些感受的办法
That’s what kept me stuck in a cycle of self-sabotage.
这就是让我陷入自暴自弃循环中的原因
Eating was how I coped with life!
吃东西成了我应对生活的方式!
If I wanted to lose weight and keep it off,
如果我想要减肥并且不反弹
I had to develop healthier means of coping.
我就得想出一些更健康的应对方式
This changed everything from me.
这改变了我的一切
When I adopted healthy ways of addressing my emotions and stress,
当我采用应对情绪和压力的健康方式时
my weight stabilized,
我的体重变稳定了
and my relationship with food became so much more peaceful.
我和食物的关系也变得平和多了
I’m excited to share three of these key ways with you.
我很开心能跟你们分享其中三个关键方法
The first key was a change in my perspective.
第一点 在于观点的改变
Instead of focusing on what unhealthy foods were doing to me,
我不再关注不健康食物对身体的影响
I started to address instead what their doings for me.
而是开始解决这种影响
PEP is an acronym.
PEP是一个缩略词
PEP, the first “P” stands for painkiller.
PEP的第一个字母“P”代表的是止疼药
My painkiller of choice?
我会选择什么止疼药呢?
Praline pecan ice-cream of course.
当然是果仁山核桃冰淇淋了
So after indulging in any form of sugar, fat and starch,
在尽情享用过任何形式的糖 油脂和淀粉
my favorite three food groups,
也是我最爱的三类食物后
I’d feel nothing.
我并不觉得有什么
I was unconsciously using food to anesthetize uncomfortable emotions.
我下意识地用食物来麻痹自己不适的情绪
But my eating ultimately brought on more pain.
但最终饮食却给我带来了更多的痛苦
The “E” stands for escape.
字母“E”代表的是逃避
Because when life got a little bit too intense,
当生活变得有点过于紧张时
either from family stress, financial fear,
要么是因为家庭压力和金融恐惧
or just overall feelings of anxiety,
要么就是因为整体的焦虑感
curling up with my favorate foods in front of the TV
蜷缩在电视前吃着自己最喜欢的食物
always took me to a far away place, at least momentarily.
至少能暂时让我忘记当下的困境
And the third “P” in PEP, punishment,
PEP中的第三个字母“P”代表惩罚
which seems counterintuitive I know
我知道这看起来有点违背常理
because yummy foods seem to be a reward.
因为美味的食物似乎是作为奖励的
But I was hardly rewarding myself when I’d overeat,
但如果吃得太多 就几乎不算是奖励了
and end up feeling sick.
结果反而是感觉不舒服
Yet I did this over and over again.
但我却一次又一次地这样做
You see, I was not only an overeater,
你们看 我不仅暴饮暴食
but I was also an overfeeler.
还过度情绪化
I felt guilty about everything.
我对一切都感到内疚
And I was also super hard on myself when I make a mistake.
当我犯错时 我对自己也非常苛刻
So when cookies start calling my name,
所以当饼干呼唤我时
I asked myself: what’s really going on?
我问自己:“到底发生了什么?”
Am I trying to perhaps numb painful emotions?
我也许有尝试过麻痹痛苦的情绪吗?
Am I looking to escape from something that’s overwhelming?
我是否打算逃离那些令人束手无策的事情?
Or perhaps am I trying to punish myself
或者我会因为说错了话或做错了事
for something I’ve said or done that I feel bad about?
而进行自我惩罚吗
This is an easy way to begin making the connection
这是一个能让我开始建立起
between my eating and my emotions.
饮食和情绪间联系的简单方法
The second key to find in balance is reducing stress.
寻求平衡的第二个关键在于减压
So in my experience both personally and professionally,
以我生活和工作中的经验来看
overeaters tend to be overdoers.
暴饮暴食的人往往会有过度行为
I was always on the go,
我总是忙个不停
always putting everyone else’s needs first,
总是以别人的需要为先
never slowing down long enough to catch my breath
从来没有好好地慢下来喘口气过
or eat a healthy meal.
也没有好好地吃过一顿饭
Stress plays a role in elevated cortisol levels,
压力会提升皮质醇水平
and cortisol increases appetite
皮质醇的升高又会增加食欲
and causes our bodies to store fat
进而导致体内脂肪的囤积
instead of burn it.
而不进行消耗
So for me, an important and crucial piece of the weight loss puzzle
所以对我来说 减肥难题中至关重要的一点
was self-care.
在于自我管理
When I began to integrate self-care practices into my life,
当我开始将自我管理融入生活后
I had more emotional balance,
我更能维持情绪平衡了
and I have more energy.
也拥有了更多的能量
And I no longer craved
我不再渴求
coffee and chocolate for stamina.
用咖啡和巧克力来维持精力
So some of the traits that work best for me,
我每天都做冥想和写日记
that I do every day are meditation and journaling.
因为它们的某些特质对我来说很有效
But you may be thinking: “Hey lady, I don’t have time for self-care!
但你可能会想:“女士 我没时间自我管理!”
I’m a busy professional with a job,
我是个工作繁忙的专业人士
three kids, and a neurotic dog!”
还有三个孩子和一只神经过敏的狗!”
Think again, when we take time for ourselves,
再想想 如果我们为自己留出了时间
we actually increase our capacity to give to others.
实际上也就提高了自己付出的能力
And we’re also better equipped to handle life’s challenges,
我们也能更好地应对生活中的挑战
without turning to food.
而不是靠食物来逃避
So another key element of self-care
自我管理的另一个关键点是
was changing ingrained habits that caused my stress.
改变那些根深蒂固并且给我造成压力的习惯
So in my work,
在工作中
I’ve observed several traits of emotional eaters that tend to be most common,
我观察到了最常见的情绪性进食者的几种特性
and I refer to these traits as the anatomy of the emotional eater.
我把它们称为情绪性进食者的剖析
The Achilles heel for most including myself,
包括我在内的大多数人都有一个致命弱点
is people-pleasing.
那就是取悦别人
So I lacked self-esteem and I chased
我缺乏自尊 所以我总是迎合
the other girls that make me feel worthwhile.
那些让我觉得自己有价值的女孩
And as a people-pleaser, I said yes to everything.
因为讨好型人格 我不会拒绝任何东西
Sure, I’ll chair the committee,
当然 我会主持委员会
happy to host the party,
也很高兴能举办这个聚会
and of course I’ll do your job and mine,
当然 我也会把所有的人的工作都做了
and Jerry’s job.
包括杰瑞的
No problem.
这都没问题
I don’t know about your experience
我不知道你们经历过什么
but anytime that I really knocked myself out to try to please somebody,
但每当我拼尽全力想讨好别人的时候
they were never as pleased as I planned on them being.
他们根本没我想的那么愉悦
So as not only burned out,
这不仅使我心力交猝
but I was also kind of resentful.
还让我有点怨恨
And this was the perfect storm for justifying yet another
另一方面也证明了暴饮暴食的我真是活该
I deserve it binge.
这就叫祸不单行
Changing this habbit
改掉这个习惯
by learning how to say no when there’s too much on my plate,
当盘子里的食物太多时学会说不
so to speak,
可以这么说
really helped to reduce my stress and my feelings of hunger.
这样真的帮助我减轻了压力和饥饿感
Now the last key in overcoming my emotional eating,
最后一个克服情绪化进食的关键点
super important,
极其重要
get support from community of other emotional eaters.
在于获取其他情绪化进食者社区的支持
Research shows that group support increases weight loss results.
研究表明 团体的支持有助于减肥
And it make sense, right?
这是有道理的 对吧?
I mean, temptations to eat unhealthy foods are everywhere!
我的意思是 不健康食物的诱惑无处不在!
Think TV commercials, check-out lines at the supermarket,
想想电视广告 超市付款处的货架
and parties.
还有聚会
So overindulging is a socially acceptable pass time
过度饮食作为社会认可的消遣方式
that’s difficult to curb without support.
如果缺乏支持是很难遏制住的
Plus, I gotta tell you,
另外 我得告诉你们
there’s nothing more comforting than connecting with those
那些能真正理解你诸如把垃圾桶的食物翻出来狂吃这样的行为
that really know the shame and humiliation
有多羞耻和耻辱的人
of behaviors like digging binge foods out of the garbage.
没有比跟他们联系更让人慰藉的了
So you might be thinking,
你们可能在想
isn’t it silly to need help with something as basic
自己要吃什么是很基本 也是看似很容易控制的事情
and seemingly easy to control is what I put in my mouth?
连这件事情都要寻求帮助是不是很傻?
Not so fast.
别着急下结论
The truth is emotional eating is one of the hardest
事实上 情绪性进食是最难以戒除的
of the addictive habits to break.
令人上瘾的习惯之一
Why? Because we have to eat.
为什么呢? 因为我们得吃东西
What we are up against is a really akin to
我们所要面对的事情近似于
taking a growling tiger out of the cage,
将一只咆哮着的老虎放出了牢笼
trying to pat the nice kitty,
然后又想要拍拍这只漂亮的小猫
and then somehow get it back inside the cage without getting mauled.
设法让它回到笼子里 而不被咬伤
Not so easy unless you have the right kind of support.
除非你获得相应的支持 否则没那么容易
Sarah is a mom, wife, and award-winning producer
萨拉是母亲 同时也是妻子和获奖制作人
who is tired of her dependence on sugar.
她厌倦了自己对糖类的依赖
Turns out she was numbing her feelings with more than just food,
结果她不仅用食物 还会用尼古丁口香糖 晚间的酒
things like nicorette gum, or evening glass of wine, and overworking.
和疯狂工作这类的事物 麻痹自己的情绪
Sarah would often work straight through breakfast and lunch
萨拉通常不吃早餐和午餐就直接工作
and pay for it with a late-night binge.
而报复性地在深夜暴饮暴食
She never gave herself time to just chill.
她从来没时间冷静下来
Sarah was at the end of her rope when she reached out for help.
因而当她忍无可忍之后只能寻求帮助
So within weeks of learning new ways of processing her emotions,
萨拉花了几周的时间学习新的情绪处理方式
and addressing her feelings, and her stress,
表达方式以及应对压力的方法
Sarah was not only off all the stimulants that had kept her propped up,
萨拉不仅戒掉了所有能支撑她精神的兴奋剂
but she was also feeling so much less anxious.
而且少了很多焦虑感
Sarah was coming home to herself, her daughters noticed the difference,
当她回到家时 女儿们觉得她不一样了
and even asked how they could adopt these same practices for themselves.
甚至问及她们自己怎样才能采用同样的做法
You can develop the same sense of peace.
你们也可以培养同样的平和感
Start by taking the PEP-TEST.
从进行PEP测试开始吧
And really ask yourself what’s going on
当你发现自己又去了厨房时
when you find yourself taking yet another trip to the kitchen.
真的要问问自己到底发生了什么
Is it for…
是为了……
perhaps… a painkiller? An escape?
可能是 找止痛药?还是想逃离?
Or are you feeling bad about something,
还是你又因为什么事不开心了?
and is it a form of punishment?
这算不算某种形式的惩罚呢?
Next, manage your stress
下一步 通过培养有助于促进心态平和的自我管理习惯
by implementing self-care habits that can help you feel more centered.
来管理你的压力
And also take a look at things like people-pleasing
同时也要注意讨好别人这类
that may be causing you more stress.
可能会带给你更大的压力的事情
And finally, nourish your soul through connection
最后 通过情绪性进食者社群
and community with other emotional eaters.
并和其中的人建立联系来滋养你的灵魂
They can help you stay accountable,
他们能督促你
and stay on track with your goals.
从而坚定不移地追求自己的目标
These simple steps while having nothing to do with food,
这些简单的步骤尽管跟食物无关
can make a real impact on your food choices
却能对食物的选择产生实质性影响
and your ability to reach a weight that works best for you.
让你能够达到最适合自己的体重
I’ll leave you with this.
这就是我想分享给你们的
I believe we can all enjoy our relationship with food and with ourselves
我相信我们都能享受与食物还有自己的关系
that is both peaceful and self-caring.
这段关系应该是平和且自我关怀的
It starts with looking beyond the food for answers.
答案要先从食物之外找起
Thank you.
谢谢
[applause]
[掌声]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

动不动就想吃东西?靠吃东西来缓解负面情绪?还是总在节食与暴食间反复横跳?听Tricia讲述她自己的故事,分享情绪性进食者的“PEP”大法!

听录译者

Vinki

翻译译者

闪闪发光小太阳

审核员

审核员SRY

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVSe2vaxXXM

相关推荐