未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

学校在扼杀创造力吗?

Do schools kill creativity? | Sir Ken Robinson

Good morning. How are you?
早上好 还好吗?
(Laughter)
(笑声)
It’s been great, hasn’t it?
很好吧 对不对?
I’ve been blown away by the whole thing.
我已经飘飘然了!
In fact, I’m leaving.
我要飘走了
(Laughter)
(笑声)
There have been three themes running through the conference
这次会议有三个主题 这三个主题贯穿会议始终
which are relevant to what I want to talk about.
并且和我要谈的内容有关
One is the extraordinary evidence of human creativity
其中之一就是人类创造力的伟大例证
in all of the presentations that we’ve had
这些例证已经体现在之前的演讲当中
and in all of the people here.
以及在座各位的身上
Just the variety of it and the range of it.
从这些例证中我们看到了创新的多样化和多领域
The second is that it’s put us in a place
第二点–这些创新
where we have no idea what’s going to happen,
也让我们意识到我们
in terms of the future.
不知道未来会发生什么
No idea how this may play out.
完全不知道未来会如何
I have an interest in education.
我对教育感兴趣
Actually, what I find is everybody has an interest in education.
事实上 我发现每个人都对教育感兴趣
Don’t you?
难道不是吗?
I find this very interesting.
我发现这很有趣
If you’re at a dinner party,
如果你参加一个晚宴
and you say you work in education –
你说 你在教育部门工作
Actually, you’re not often at dinner parties, frankly.
坦白的讲 事实上你不会经常参加晚宴
(Laughter)
(笑声)
If you work in education, you’re not asked.
如果你在教育部门工作
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And you’re never asked back, curiously. That’s strange to me.
所以你不会被问及你是做哪行的 你永远不会被问到 很奇怪
But if you are, and you say to somebody,
但是如果你被问及
you know, they say,”What do you do?”
他们问:”你从事什么行业?”
and you say you work in education,
你说你在教育部门工作
you can see the blood run from their face.
你会发现他们涨红了脸
They’re like,”Oh my God,” you know,”Why me?”
那意思好像是 “我的天啊 ”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
“My one night out all week.”
“为什么让我碰上?整整一周我才出来一次”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
But if you ask about their education, they pin you to the wall.
但如果你要他们谈谈他们的受教育经历 他们会把你“钉到墙上”
Because it’s one of those things that goes deep
因为这些事情都涉及
with people, am I right?
个人的隐私 对吗?
Like religion, and money and other things.
比如宗教信仰 薪水等
So I have a big interest in education,
我对教育特别感兴趣
and I think we all do.
我认为我们都是如此
We have a huge vested interest in it,
我们对此有巨大的既得利益
partly because it’s education that
部分因为教育旨在
‘s meant to take us into this future
将我们带入我们
that we can’t grasp.
无法掌握的未来
If you think of it, children starting school this year
大家想想 今年入学的小孩
will be retiring in 2065.
2065将退休
Nobody has a clue,
没人知道会怎样–
despite all the expertise that’s been
虽然过去四天会议进程里 都是关于这方面的专业讨论–
on parade for the past four days,
但我们还是无法预知
what the world will look like in five years’ time.
这个世界 五年后的样子
And yet we’re meant to be educating them for it.
这就是为何我们要让这些孩子接受教育
So the unpredictability, I think, is extraordinary.
我认为正是未来的不确定性决定其非同寻常
And the third part of this is
第三点就是
that we’ve all agreed, nonetheless,
我们都认同一个观点–
on the really extraordinary capacities that children have —
这些孩子的特别之处
their capacities for innovation.
正是他们的创新能力
I mean, Sirena last night was a marvel, wasn’t she?
我觉得昨晚Sirena的表现
Just seeing what she could do.
令人惊奇 对吗?
And she’s exceptional, but I think she’s not, so to speak,
她很出色 但是我认为
exceptional in the whole of childhood.
她在孩提时代时没显得与众不同
What you have there is a person of extraordinary dedication
现在的教育提倡的是一个有奉献精神的老师
who found a talent.
能发现一个天才学生
And my contention is, all kids have tremendous talents.
但我认为 所有孩子都是伟大的天才
And we squander them, pretty ruthlessly.
而我们却无情地扼杀了他们的才能
So I want to talk about education
所以我想谈谈教育
and I want to talk about creativity.
和创造力
My contention is that creativity now is
我认为创造力和文化知识
as important in education as literacy,
在教育中占同样比重
and we should treat it with the same status.
所以这两方面我们应同等对待
(Applause) Thank you.
(掌声)谢谢
(Applause)
(掌声)
That was it, by the way.
而且
Thank you very much.
非常感谢
(Laughter) So,
(笑声)
15 minutes left.
还剩15分钟
(Laughter) Well,
(笑声)
I was born… no.
我出生于 –说错了
(Laughter)
(笑声)
I heard a great story recently —
最近我听到一个很不错的故事
I love telling it —
–我很愿意讲讲这个故事–
of a little girl who was in a drawing lesson.
说的是一个小女孩正在上绘画课
She was six, and she was at the back, drawing,
小女孩只有六岁 她坐在教室的后排 正在画画
and the teacher said this girl hardly ever paid attention,
而她的老师评价她几乎
and in this drawing lesson, she did.
从不注意听讲 但在绘画课上
The teacher was fascinated.
她却听得很认真
She went over to her, and she said,”What are you drawing?”
老师饶有兴趣地走过去 问她:“你在画什么?”
And the girl said,”I’m drawing a picture of God.”
她说:“我画的是上帝 ”
And the teacher said,”But nobody knows what God looks like.”
老师说:“可是没人知道上帝长什么样 ”
And the girl said,”They will, in a minute.”
这时小女孩说:“他们马上就能知道上帝的样子了 ”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
When my son was four in England — Actually,
我儿子四岁时在英国– 实际上
he was four everywhere, to be honest.
他那会儿在哪都四岁
(Laughter)
(笑声)
If we’re being strict about it, wherever he went,
严格地说他四岁那年在哪个国家记不清了
he was four that year.
只记得他四岁那年
He was in the Nativity play. Do you remember the story?
去演舞台剧《基督诞生》 你们记得那部剧的情节吗?
(Laughter) No,
(笑声)应该记不得
it was big, it was a big story.
情节太长 故事太长
Mel Gibson did the sequel, you may have seen it.
梅尔.吉布森演过那部剧的续集 你们也许看过
(Laughter)
(笑声)
“Nativity II.”
叫《基督诞生II》
But James got the part of Joseph, which we were thrilled about.
我儿子 James在那部舞台剧里演 Joseph 我们为此很兴奋
We considered this to be one of the lead parts.
我们以为那是个主要角色
We had the place crammed full of agents in T-shirts:
我们给观众们发了T恤: 上面印着
“James Robinson IS Joseph!” (Laughter)
“James Robinson 扮演 Joseph” (笑声)
He didn’t have to speak,
他的角色不一定有台词
but you know the bit where the three kings come in?
剧情是 三个国王拿着礼物走进来
They come in bearing gifts, gold, frankincense and myrrh.
他们分别拿着黄金 乳香精油 没药精油
This really happened.
演出开始了
We were sitting there and I
我们坐在观众席上
think they just went out of sequence,
我认为他们应该按顺序出场
because we talked to the little boy afterward and we said,
演出结束后我们对James说:
“You OK with that?” And he said,”Yeah, why? Was that wrong?”
“你们刚才演的对吗?”他说:“对啊 怎么了 哪错了吗?”
They just switched.
其实他们把剧情改了 他们是这么演的:
The three boys came in,
三个小演员出场
four-year-olds with tea towels on their heads,
四岁的小家伙们头上戴着擦杯子用的毛巾
and they put these boxes down,
他们放下手上拿的盒子
and the first boy said,”I bring you gold.”
第一个孩子说:“我带来了黄金”
And the second boy said,”I bring you myrrh.”
第二个孩子说:“我带来了没药精油”
And the third boy said,”Frank sent this.”
第三个孩子说:“Frank带来了这个”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
What these things have in common is that kids will take a chance.
以上例子的共同点就是孩子们愿意冒险
If they don’t know, they’ll have a go.
对于未知的事物 他们愿意去尝试
Am I right? They’re not frightened of being wrong.
难道不是吗?即使尝试的结果是错误的 他们也不惧怕
I don’t mean to say
当然我并不认为
that being wrong is the same thing as being creative.
错误的尝试等同于创新
What we do know is,
但我们都知道
if you’re not prepared to be wrong,
如果你不打算做错误的尝试
you’ll never come up with anything original —
你永远不会创造出新东西
if you’re not prepared to be wrong.
如果你不想让孩子们做错误的尝试
And by the time they get to be adults,
等他们长大了
most kids have lost that capacity.
多数孩子就会丧失创新的能力
They have become frightened of being wrong.
那就会使他们也变得惧怕错误的尝试
And we run our companies like this.
这种情况也存在于公司经营方面
We stigmatize mistakes.
我们不能容忍任何错误
And we’re now running national education systems
这就使得现在的教育体系成为
where mistakes are the worst thing you can make.
最不能容忍错误的领域
And the result is that we are educating people
这样做的后果就是 我们的教育体制
out of their creative capacities.
正在扼杀孩子们的创造力
Picasso once said this, he said that all children are born artists.
毕加索曾说过: “孩子们是天生的艺术家”
The problem is to remain an artist as we grow up.
问题是我们长大后 能否继续保有艺术灵感
I believe this passionately, that we don’t grow into creativity,
我坚信: 我们随着年龄的增长
we grow out of it.
而丧失了创造力
Or rather, we get educated out of it.
甚至可以说 是我们所受的教育 让我们丧失了创造力
So why is this?
为什么会这样?
I lived in Stratford-on-Avon until about five years ago.
五年前 我住在Stratford-on-Avon
In fact, we moved from Stratford to Los Angeles.
现在我已经搬到了洛杉矶
So you can imagine what a seamless transition that was.
可想而知这是个多么合乎逻辑的移居
(Laughter) Actually,
(笑声)其实
we lived in a place called Snitterfield,
那时我们住在 Snitterfield
just outside Stratford, which is where Shakespeare’s father was born.
就在 Stratford郊外 那里是 莎士比亚父亲的出生地
Are you struck by a new thought? I was.
你有过灵感吗?我曾经有过
You don’t think of Shakespeare having a father, do you?
你没想到莎士比亚有个父亲吧 对吗?
Do you? Because you don’t think
因为你忽略了
of Shakespeare being a child, do you?
莎士比亚也曾经是个孩子 不是吗?
Shakespeare being seven?
莎士比亚七岁时什么样?
I never thought of it.
我从没想过
I mean, he was seven at some point.
–他七岁时的某个特定场景
He was in somebody’s English class, wasn’t he?
比如他在上英语课 想想他在上英语课–
(Laughter)
(笑声)
How annoying would that be?
多么不可思议
(Laughter)
(笑声)
“Must try harder.”
“你要努力学习”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Being sent to bed by his dad, you know, to Shakespeare,”Go to bed, now!
你能想象他父亲边说边把他抱上床 “现在该睡觉了”
And put the pencil down.”
他父亲又说:“放下笔
(Laughter)
(笑声)
“And stop speaking like that.”
别再写那些东西了
(Laughter)
(笑声)
“It’s confusing everybody.”
别人都看不懂”
(Laughter) Anyway,
(笑声)话说远了
we moved from Stratford to Los Angeles,
刚才说到我们从Stratford 搬到洛杉矶
and I just want to say a word about the transition.
我想说的是 对于这次搬家
My son didn’t want to come.
我儿子并不愿意
I’ve got two kids; he’s 21 now, my daughter’s 16.
我有两个孩子 儿子现在21岁了 女儿16岁
He didn’t want to come to Los Angeles.
我儿子不愿搬到洛杉矶
He loved it, but he had a girlfriend in England.
虽然他喜欢这 但在英国 他有个女友
This was the love of his life, Sarah.
是他的最爱 叫 Sarah
He’d known her for a month.
他们认识只有一个月后就开始交往了
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Mind you, they’d had their fourth anniversary,
我们要搬家时他们已交往了4年
because it’s a long time when you’re 16.
这对于16岁的年龄来说已经很长了
He was really upset on the plane,
我儿子上了飞机后很郁闷
he said,”I’ll never find another girl like Sarah.”
他说:“我再也找不到像Sarah 那样的女孩了 ”
And we were rather pleased about that, frankly —
但说实话做为家长的我们为此很庆幸
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Because she was the main reason we were leaving the country.
因为那个女孩是我们搬家的主要原因
(Laughter)
(笑声)
But something strikes you when you move to America
但搬到美国后 有些事使我印象深刻
and travel around the world:
如果你周游世界你会发现每个国家的教育体系
Every education system on Earth has the same hierarchy of subjects.
都存在相同的学科等级制度 没有例外
Every one. Doesn’t matter where you go.
不论哪个国家 你认为也许会有例外
You’d think it would be otherwise, but it isn’t.
但没有 排在最前面的学科是
At the top are mathematics and languages, then the humanities,
数学和语言 接下去是人文学科
and at the bottom are the arts.
艺术排在最后
Everywhere on Earth.
世界上所有国家都是如此
And in pretty much every system too,
而且相同的还有
there’s a hierarchy within the arts.
就是在艺术学科范围内也有等级制
Art and music are normally given a higher status in schools
通常学校把美术课和音乐课看的较重要
than drama and dance.
然后是戏剧课和舞蹈课
There isn’t an education system on the planet
没有哪个国家的教育体系
that teaches dance everyday to children
天天安排舞蹈课
the way we teach them mathematics. Why?
但却每天都安排数学课
Why not? I think this is rather important.
为什么?为什么不是每天安排舞蹈课呢?
I think math is very important, but so is dance.
我认为舞蹈课很重要 我认为舞蹈课和数学课同样重要
Children dance all the time if they’re allowed to, we all do.
如果有允许 孩子们会不停地跳舞 我们也一样
We all have bodies, don’t we? Did I miss a meeting?
我们都有体会 对吗?
(Laughter) Truthfully,
(笑声)事实上
what happens is, as children grow up,
随着孩子年龄增长 我们开始教导他们别的东西
we start to educate them progressively from the waist up.
(以前是教他们走和跑) 而随着他们长大
And then we focus on their heads.
我们更关注的是他们的头脑
And slightly to one side.
而且略微偏重大脑的一侧
If you were to visit education, as an alien,
如果你以一个外国人的身份来参观我们的教育体系
and say”What’s it for, public education?”
带着这样的问题:“公办教育的目的是什么?”
I think you’d have to conclude,
那么当你看到我们的教育体系产业化的发展
if you look at the output,
我相信 你就会明白
who really succeeds by this, who does everything
是谁在真正从中受益 是谁被教导着该做什么
that they should, who gets all the brownie points,
不该做什么 是谁得了满分
who are the winners —
谁是第一名–
I think you’d have to
关于公办教育的目的
conclude the whole purpose of public education
我想你会得出这样的结论
throughout the world is to produce university professors.
世界上所有的公办教育 都以培养大学教授为目的
Isn’t it?
难道不是吗?
They’re the people who come out the top.
因为大学教授是象牙塔尖上的人
And I used to be one, so there.
我也曾是一名大学教授 也是塔尖上的人
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And I like university professors, but you know,
我倾慕大学教授的学识
we shouldn’t hold them up as the high-water mark of all human achievement.
但我们不应该用这样一个头衔作为 衡量一个人成功与否的分水岭
They’re just a form of life, another form of life.
其实大学教授只是360行中的一行
But they’re rather curious,
只不过他们比较好求知
and I say this out of affection for them.
我这样说不是因为对他们的倾慕
There’s something curious about professors in my experience —
在我看来 大学教授有个特点–
not all of them, but typically, they live in their heads.
虽然不是共性但很典型–他们只用脑子生活
They live up there, and slightly to one side.
而且偏重于大脑的一侧
They’re disembodied, you know, in a kind of literal way.
用书面语来说就是–他们脑体分离
They look upon their body as a form of transport for their heads.
他们只是把身体当作大脑的载体而已
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Don’t they?
难道不是吗?
It’s a way of getting their head to meetings.
这个载体可以载着大脑去开会
(Laughter)
(笑声)
If you want real evidence of out-of-body experiences,
如果你想亲身体验 你就去参加一次会议
get yourself along to a residential conference of senior academics,
–学术研讨会
and pop into the discotheque on the final night.
然后在会议结束后再去迪厅蹦迪
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And there, you will see it.
在那你会看到
Grown men and women writhing uncontrollably, off the beat.
成年男女在不和乐拍地疯狂摇摆
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Waiting until it ends so they can go
期待夜晚的结束好回家
home and write a paper about it.
写篇关于蹦迪的论文
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Our education system is predicated on the idea of academic ability.
注重培养学术能力的观点根植于我们的教育体系之中
And there’s a reason.
形成这种状况还有个原因–
Around the world, there were no public systems of education, really,
所有国家的教育体系在最初建立时
before the 19th century.
也就是在19世纪之前–那时教育还不是公共事业
They all came into being to meet the needs of industrialism.
那时建立教育体系是为了满足工业化发展的需要
So the hierarchy is rooted on two ideas.
所以有两点基本的等级原则
Number one, that the most useful subjects for work are at the top.
第一点 对工作最实用的科目 是最重要的科目
So you were probably steered benignly away
这样就能轻易地避开 孩子们喜欢的科目
from things at school when you were a kid,
从小就不让他们碰触
things you liked,
理由就是
on the grounds that you would never get a job doing that.
不这样学就找不到工作
Is that right?
对吗?
Don’t do music, you’re not going to be a musician;
别玩音乐了 你成不了音乐家; 别画画了
don’t do art, you won’t be an artist.
你成不了艺术家
Benign advice — now, profoundly mistaken.
这些温和的忠告– 筑成现在的大错
The whole world is engulfed in a revolution.
全世界 都被卷入了工业革命的热潮
And the second is academic ability,
第二点 学术能力已经成为
which has really come to dominate our view of intelligence,
衡量好学生的主要标准 这种标准是那些
because the universities designed the system in their image.
大学自己制定的 只要你思考一下就会发现
If you think of it,
整个教育体系
the whole system of public education around the world
不论哪个国家的公共教育都是一种按部就班的程序
is a protracted process of university entrance.
最终目标是为了考入大学
And the consequence is that many highly-talented, brilliant,
造成的后果就是许多很有天才的
creative people think they’re not,
有创造力的学生被钝化了
because the thing they were good at at school
因为这些学生发现 他们的专长在学校
wasn’t valued, or was actually stigmatized.
并不受重视甚至还受到蔑视
And I think we can’t afford to go on that way.
我认为我们不能再这样扼杀孩子们的天才了
In the next 30 years, according to UNESCO,
根据联合国教科文组织的统计 今后30年
more people worldwide will be graduating
全世界毕业的学生将超过
through education than since the beginning of history.
过去的总和 这就是人口增长造成的
More people, and it’s the combination
人口增长关系到
of all the things we’ve talked about —
我们谈论的许多话题–
technology and its transformation effect on work, and demography
包括技术和技术变革 对生产力的影响、人口统计学
and the huge explosion in population. Suddenly,
及人口爆炸 很快
degrees aren’t worth anything.
文凭就不再有含金量了
Isn’t that true?
是这样吧?
When I was a student, if you had a degree,
我上学那会儿 有文凭
you had a job.
就有工作
If you didn’t have a job,
那时候如果你没工作
it’s because you didn’t want one.
那是因为你不想找
And I didn’t want one, frankly. (Laughter)
说实话 我那时候就是这样 (笑声)
But now kids with degrees
但现在的状况是
are often heading home to carry on playing video games,
孩子们有文凭却经常呆在家里打电脑游戏
because you need an MA where
因为以前只要学士学位的工作岗位
the previous job required a BA,
现在需要硕士学位
and now you need a PhD for the other.
现在还没毕业的孩子 将来就得有个博士学位才好找工作
It’s a process of academic inflation.
这就是学术学位的通货膨胀
And it indicates the whole structure of education
这是整个教育体系
is shifting beneath our feet.
坍塌的前兆
We need to radically rethink our view of intelligence.
我们必须从根本上反思
We know three things about intelligence. One,
我们评价好学生的标准 培养人才有三个原则 第一
it’s diverse.
多样化
We think about the world in all the ways that we experience it.
我们认知世界的角度不同
We think visually, we think in sound, we think kinesthetically.
有的从视觉角度 有的从听觉角度 有的从美学角度
We think in abstract terms, we think in movement. Secondly,
有的从抽象的角度 有的从动态的角度 第二
intelligence is dynamic.
好学生应该是充满活力的
If you look at the interactions of a human brain,
如果观察一下人类大脑的内部组织
as we heard yesterday from a number of presentations,
就像我们昨天所看到的演讲中演示的
intelligence is wonderfully interactive.
大脑发育具有关联性
The brain isn’t divided into compartments.
大脑不应被分成几部分
In fact, creativity — which I define as the process
其实我认为 应该创造性地把大脑看作一整套工序–
of having original ideas that have value —
生产有价值的原创想法的工序–
more often than not comes about through the interaction
这种原创想法往往来自互动的思考方式
of different disciplinary ways of seeing things.
而不是呆板的常规模式
By the way, there’s a shaft
大脑本来就是
of nerves that joins the two halves of the brain
由神经来连接左脑和右脑
called the corpus callosum.
这个连接部分叫胼胝体(医学名词)
It’s thicker in women.
女性大脑中的这个部分比男性的要厚
Following off from Helen yesterday,
昨天听了Helen的演讲受到启发
this is probably why women are better at multi-tasking.
我认为 脑部特征可能使女性更善于 应对头绪纷乱的事情
Because you are, aren’t you?
对吗?
There’s a raft of research,
虽然关于这方面的研究有很多
but I know it from my personal life.
但我对于这方面的了解 其实来源于我的亲身体验
If my wife is cooking a meal at home —
我妻子在家做饭时– 感谢上帝
which is not often, thankfully.
她不常做饭
(Laughter) No,
(笑声)
she’s good at some things, but if she’s cooking,
虽然她不擅厨艺但很擅长其他一些事–
she’s dealing with people on the phone,
不过她做饭时总是打打电话
she’s talking to the kids, she’s painting the ceiling,
和孩子们说说话 给天棚刷刷漆
she’s doing open-heart surgery over here.
还在旁边做开胸手术
If I’m cooking, the door is shut, the kids are out,
而我做饭时就会关上厨房门 不让孩子们进来打扰
the phone’s on the hook, if she comes in I get annoyed.
不打电话 这时如果我妻子进来我会很生气
I say,”Terry, please, I’m trying to fry an egg in here.”
我会这样对我妻子说:“Terry 我在煎鸡蛋
(Laughter)
(笑声)
“Give me a break.”
请你别打扰”
(Laughter) Actually,
(笑声)
do you know that old philosophical thing,
大家都知道那句有哲理的话–
if a tree falls in a forest and nobody hears it,
如果森林里有棵树倒了可没人听到
did it happen?
那是否意味着没发生过?
Remember that old chestnut?
记得这句话吗?
I saw a great t-shirt recently, which said,
最近我看到一件很棒的T恤 上面印着:
“ If a man speaks his mind in a forest,
“如果一个男人说出他的心声 却是在森林里说的
and no woman hears him,
而且没被女人听到
is he still wrong?”
那应该不算犯错吧?”
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And the third thing about intelligence is, it’s distinct.
培养好学生的第三个原则就是–个性化
I’m doing a new book at the moment called”Epiphany,”
我目前在写本书– 书名叫《顿悟》
which is based on a series of interviews with people
素材来自一些 访谈 访谈内容是关于
about how they discovered their talent.
怎样发现自身的才能
I’m fascinated by how people got to be there.
对于这点我很感兴趣
It’s really prompted
激发我写这本书的原因是一次对话
by a conversation I had with a wonderful woman
我采访了一位很优秀的女士
who maybe most people have never heard of, Gillian Lynne.
也许很多人没听说过这个人 她叫Gillian Lynne
Have you heard of her? Some have.
你们知道这个人吗?应该有人知道吧
She’s a choreographer, and everybody knows her work.
她是一个舞蹈编剧 所有人都知道她的作品
She did”Cats” and”Phantom of the Opera.”
她编舞的作品有《猫》、《歌剧魅影》
She’s wonderful.
她很有才华
I used to be on the board of The Royal Ballet,
我在英国看过由皇家芭蕾舞团演出的她的作品
as you can see. Anyway,
你们也看过她的作品
Gillian and I had lunch one day and I said,
有一次 我和Gillian 吃午饭 我问她:
“How did you get to be a dancer?”
“Gillian 你是怎样成为舞蹈家的?
It was interesting.
她回答说: 说起来很有意思
When she was at school, she was really hopeless.
她上学的时候 觉得自己完全没有希望
And the school, in the’30s, wrote to her parents and said,
她上学那会儿是1930年代 老师给她家长写信说:
“We think Gillian has a learning disorder.”
“我们认为Gillian患有学习障碍症 ”
She couldn’t concentrate; she was fidgeting.
她无法集中注意力 她老是坐不安生
I think now they’d say she had ADHD. Wouldn’t you?
用现在的话讲 那意思就是她有多动症 你们也这么想吧?
But this was the 1930s,
但那时候是1930年代
and ADHD hadn’t been invented at this point.
“多动症”这个词还没出现
It wasn’t an available condition.
那个老师用词不当
(Laughter)
(笑声)
People weren’t aware they could have that.
那时候人们还不知道用“多动症”这个词
(Laughter) Anyway,
(笑声)
she went to see this specialist. So,
于是Gillian去看病
this oak-paneled room, and she was there with her mother,
她妈妈带她去的
and she was led and sat
医生让她坐在椅子上
on this chair at the end,
她把手压在腿下
and she sat on her hands for 20 minutes
这样过了20分钟
while this man talked to her mother
她妈妈一直在向医生讲述
about the problems Gillian was having at school.
Gillian在学校的表现:她在学校不安生
Because she was disturbing people; her homework was always late;
她总是晚交作业
and so on,
等等
little kid of eight.
其实不过是个才8岁的孩子
In the end, the doctor went and sat next to Gillian,
–最后医生走过去坐到 Gillian的旁边
and said,
对她说:
“I’ve listened to all these things your mother’s told me,
“Gillian 你妈妈跟我说了很多
I need to speak to her privately.
现在我想和你妈妈单独谈谈”
Wait here. We’ll be back; we won’t be very long,”
“你在这儿等一下 我们马上谈完 ”
and they went and left her.
医生和她妈妈出去了
But as they went out of the room,
但医生在出去时把收音机打开了
he turned on the radio that was sitting on his desk.
收音机在医生办公桌上 在他们
And when they got out, he said to her mother,”Just stand and watch her.”
走出房间后 医生对她妈妈说: “我们就站在这儿观察一下她 ”
And the minute they left the room,
他们离开房间后 Gillian站起来
she was on her feet, moving to the music.
随着音乐跳起舞来
And they watched for a few minutes and
她妈妈和医生在门外看了几分钟
he turned to her mother and said, “Mrs.
医生对她妈妈说:
Lynne, Gillian isn’t sick; she’s a dancer.
Lynne太太 Gillian没病 她是个舞蹈天才
Take her to a dance school.”
让她去上舞蹈学校吧 ”
I said,”What happened?”
话说到这 我问Gillian:“后来怎么样了?”
She said,”She did. I can’t tell you how wonderful it was.
她回答道:“我妈妈送我去了舞蹈学校 我无法形容那里有多棒
We walked in this room and it was full of people like me.
那里有很多像我这样的人
People who couldn’t sit still.
–坐不住的人
People who had to move to think.”
我们必须在活动中才能思考
Who had to move to think.
在活动中才能思考”
They did ballet, they did tap, jazz;
他们跳芭蕾 跳踢踏舞跳爵士舞
they did modern; they did contemporary.
跳现代舞后来她考入皇家
She was eventually auditioned for the Royal Ballet School;
芭蕾舞学校
she became a soloist; she had a wonderful career at the Royal Ballet.
成为芭蕾舞女主演事业发展很成功
She eventually graduated from the Royal Ballet School,
从那毕业后 从皇家芭蕾舞学校毕业后
founded the Gillian Lynne Dance Company, met Andrew Lloyd Webber.
她成立了自己的公司–Gillian Lynne 舞蹈公司 遇到了Andrew Lloyd Weber
She’s been responsible
她负责 担任过
for some of the most successful musical theater productions in history,
一些极其成功的音乐剧的编舞
she’s given pleasure to millions, and she’s a multi-millionaire.
她给数以万计的观众带来了艺术享受 她也是个亿万富翁
Somebody else might have put her on medication and told her to calm down.
可是 有人 也许曾认为她有多动症命令她 “冷静”
(Applause)
(掌声)
What I think it comes to is this:
现在我想说的是–
Al Gore spoke the other night about ecology and
Al Gore曾在这里做过一次演讲 内容是关于生态学
the revolution that was triggered by Rachel Carson.
以及Rachel Carson引发的那次环境保护运动
I believe our only hope for the future
我相信对于未来 我们的唯一出路
is to adopt a new conception of human ecology,
是贯彻一种新的人性化生态的思想
one in which we start to reconstitute our conception
也就是说我们应重新定义
of the richness of human capacity.
人类能力的多样化
Our education system has mined our minds
我们的教育体系培养我们的方式
in the way that we strip-mine the earth: for a particular commodity.
正如我们开采地球的方式– 以功利为目的
And for the future, it won’t serve us.
但这种方式对于未来将不再适用
We have to rethink the fundamental principles
我们必须重新思考那些最基本的准则
on which we’re educating our children.
也就是我们教育孩子的准则
There was a wonderful quote by Jonas Salk, who said,
Jonas Salk曾说过:
“If all the insects were to disappear from the Earth,
“如果所有的昆虫 都从地球上消失的话 那么50年之内
within 50 years all life on Earth would end.
所有生命也将从地球上消失
If all human beings disappeared from the Earth,
而如果人类从地球上消失的话
within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.”
那么50年之内 其他物种会活得更好 ”
And he’s right.
他说的很对
What TED celebrates is the gift of the human imagination.
TED倡导的是人类的创造性思维
We have to be careful now
现在 我们必须运用这种思维方式小心地
that we use this gift wisely
避开那些按部就班的规则
and that we avert some of the scenarios that we’ve talked about.
达到这个目的
And the only way we’ll
唯一的方法就是
do it is by seeing our creative capacities
运用创造力 最大限度地发挥创造力
for the richness they are and seeing our children
而且 用孩子们喜欢的
for the hope that they are.
方式培养他们
And our task is to educate their whole being,
我们的任务 是全方位地培养孩子
so they can face this future.
这样他们才能面对未来的社会
By the way — we may not see this future,
顺便说句–我们可能活不到未来那天
but they will.
但孩子们会
And our job is to help them make something of it.
而我们要做的就是帮助 他们能在未来有所作为
Thank you very much.
谢谢大家
(Applause)
(掌声)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述
听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

收集自网络

审核员

自动通过审核

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

相关推荐