ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

封闭边境就是封闭机会 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

封闭边境就是封闭机会

Close the Borders? Close Your Opportunities | Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed on Immigration and Diversity

我认为今天的美国城市中
I think that there are few other cities in America
很少有表露出这样显著的特质
that present such a striking example
即一座城市和它的居民们
of what happens when a city and a people
对它们未来拥有一种宏大 无畏和包容的愿景
have a big, bold, and inclusive vision of what they want to become.
如果将时间回溯到数年之前
If you go back just a few years
回顾20世纪六十年代早期的阿拉巴马州的伯明翰
and look at Birmingham Alabama around the early 1960s
以及乔治亚州的亚特兰大
and Atlanta, Georgia
实际上 当时的伯明翰有着更好 更有活力的经济
Birmingham actually had a bigger, more dynamic economy
并且更有可能成为成为东南部地区的
and really should have gone on to be the center of the economy
经济和商业中心
and the business center in the Southeast
这源于其发达的钢铁业
because of the steel industry.
但是他们有一位名为乔治·华莱士的州长
But they also had a governor named George Wallace
和一位名叫布尔·康纳的警察局长
and they had a police chief named Bull Bull Connor.
于此同时 亚特兰大有一位名为伊凡·艾伦的市长
At about the exact same time, Atlanta had a mayor named Ivan Allen
他支持民权法案 但是州长卡尔·桑德斯
who testified in favor of the Civil Rights Act a governor named Carl Sanders
和及其继任者吉米·卡特对城市的发展
then later a governor named Jimmy Carter that had a different view
以及南部地区的未来有着不同的看法
of what our city could be and what the South could be
但他们没有在任何方面小看伯明翰
Without disparaging the City of Birmingham in any way,
如果你往后推四五十年到了我们今天所处的时代
if you fast forward 40, 50 years
亚特兰大及其周边地区的经济体量
later to where we are today, the City of Atlanta and the metropolitan region’s economy
达到了伯明翰市及其周边地区的三倍之多
is about three times the size of the economy of the City of Birmingham and their metro.
我相信这是由于我们对我们的城市有着
And I believe that that is because we had a bigger, bolder, more inclusive vision of
更宏大 更无畏 更包容的愿景
what we wanted our city to be.
我们有像马丁·路德·金博士这样的伟男子 也有像
we had men like dr. Martin Luther King jr. and women like
胡安妮塔·阿伯内西夫人和克雷塔·斯科特·金夫人这样的巾帼英雄
mrs. Juanita Abernathy and mrs.
我们还有像约瑟夫·洛厄里教士 安德鲁·扬大使
Mrs. Coretta Scott King, men like Reverend Joseph Lowery, men like Ambassador Andrew
约翰·刘易斯议员这样指引我们的城市走上与众不同的道路的人
Young, Congressman John Lewis, people that set our city on a different path.
我们还有可口可乐的首席执行官伍德拉夫 他主持了
Men like Robert Woodruff, the CEO of Coca-Cola, who hosted the first integrated dinner in
首届亚特兰大马丁·路德·金博士的纪念宴会
the City of Atlanta to honor Dr. Martin Luther King.
我不认为我们今天面临的问题同之前有很大的不同
The issues that we face today I don’t believe are much different.
所以这就是为什么我们拥有一座热情开放的亚特兰大 去拥抱生于国外的
That’s why we have a welcoming initiative in the City of Atlanta to embrace foreign-born
公民和移民们
citizens and immigrants.
在东海岸 我们拥有着第二迅速的海外人口增长速度
We have the second-fastest foreign-born population by percentage on the Eastern seaboard, and
我们城市 我们地区的经济发展水平
we have a level of economic prosperity in our city and our region that is almost unmatched
在美国的东南部地区几乎无人超越 难以匹敌
in the Southeastern region of the United States.
所以我认为道理很简单 如果你让一个社区关闭 这是狭隘的
And so I think the message is simple: if you have a community that is closed, that is bigoted,
这是种族主义的 也就是试图让本该作为你们当中的一部分的人
that is racist, that tries to present people who should be a part of your community as
成为“别人” 那么不管从长期或者短期来说 你都会付出高昂的道德代价
“other”, in the long-term and the short-term you will pay a very high moral price, but
但是我认为 你付出的是更高昂的经济代价
I think you’re paying an even higher economic price.
所以现在在美国有一场争论
So right now there is a struggle in America about
我们要做的就是打破这种狂热的思潮
What we have to do is to break through this fever.
我们可能身处异地 但是我们的脚下并非是全新的土地
We are on different ground, but we’re not on entirely new ground.
有人一直在为我们的愿景
There has always been times in our country where there was a fight for what we wanted
和国家的发展拼搏努力着
the direction of our country to be.
更好的美利坚值得这样
The best version of America is worth it.
值得有最宏大 最无畏 最包容的愿景
A big, bold, inclusive vision of America is worth it.
但是正如约翰·F·肯尼迪总统说的那样
But as President John F. Kennedy once said, “Things don’t just happen, things are
“事在人为”
made to happen.”
所以如果你对充满包容的美利坚一样满怀信心 对美国的未来也有着这样的愿景
So if you believe in that big inclusive version of America, that America where you get to
那么无论你来自哪里 无论你爱的人是谁
come and be who you are and love who you love
无论你孜孜以求的梦想是什么
and pursue the dreams that you want to achieve
你都要对所有人怀有同样的目光和同样的友好
and have a fair shot and a fair shake
不管你住在哪里 你出生在哪里
regardless of your ZIP Code or place of birth, you’ve
你都要努力向前 你都要为它奋斗不息
got to get out here and you’ve got to fight for it, because things don’t just happen,
因为 事在人为
things are made to happen.
bigthink.com
bigthink.com

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

事在人为

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

嘉言先森

审核员

MG

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YTbNZZR5JU

相关推荐