未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

比尔盖茨及其夫人在斯坦福2014毕业演讲

Bill and Melinda Gates' 2014 Stanford Commencement Address

(斯坦福大学)
Stanford University.
比尔·盖茨:恭喜你们 2014届毕业生们(欢呼)
>> BILL GATES: Congratulations, class of 2014! (Cheers).
我和梅琳达很高兴能来这里 受邀 在斯坦福毕业典礼上 演讲让人激动
Melinda and I are excited to be here. It would be a thrill for anyone to be invited to speak
而我们也尤为荣幸 斯坦福大学正日渐成为
at a Stanford commencement, but it’s especially gratifying for us. Stanford is rapidly becoming
我们家庭成员最喜爱的大学 并且它也一直是
the favorite university for members of our family, and it’s long been a favorite university
微软以及我们的基金会最喜爱的一所大学 我们一直致力于让最聪明
for Microsoft and our foundation. Our formula has been to get the smartest,
最有创造力的人着手最为重要的问题 结果证明 一大部分
most creative people working on the most important problems. It turns out that a disproportionate
这样的人才都来自于斯坦福 (欢呼)
number of those people are at Stanford. (Cheers).
现在 我们在这里进行着30多个基础研究项目 当我们想要
Right now, we have more than 30 foundation research projects underway here. When we want
更了解免疫系统以治愈最严重的疾病时 我们与斯坦福合作
to learn more about the immune system to help cure the worst diseases, we work with Stanford.
当我们想了解美国高等教育的大趋势
When we want to understand the changing landscape of higher education in the United States,
让更多低收入学生上大学时 我们与斯坦福合作
so that more low-income students get college degrees, we work with Stanford.
天才汇聚于此 在这里 有着灵活的思维 对于改变的开放态度以及对新鲜事物的渴求
This is where genius lives. There’s a flexibility of mind here, an openness to change, an eagerness
在这里 人们 发现新事物 乐享其中
for what’s new. This is where people come to discover the future, and have fun doing it.
梅琳达•盖茨:当下 有些人称呼你们书呆子
>> MELINDA GATES: Now, some people call you all nerds and
听说你们正为此而骄傲(欢呼和掌声)
we hear that you claim that label with pride. (Cheers and Applause).
比尔盖茨:嗯 我们也是 (欢呼和掌声)
>> BILL GATES: Well, so do we. (Cheers and Applause).
比尔盖茨:我的这副普通眼镜也没多大差异嘛
>> BILL GATES: My normal glasses really aren’t all that different.
(笑声) 在学校里发生了很多非凡的事
(Laughter). There are so many remarkable things going
但如果要我和梅琳达用一个词来表达对斯坦福的爱
on here at this campus, but if Melinda and I had to put into one word what we love most
那就是“乐观” 这里散布着一种观念
about Stanford, it’s the optimism. There’s an infectious feeling here that innovation
创新能解决一切问题 这种信念驱使着我 在1975年
can solve almost every problem. That’s the belief that drove me in 1975 to
离开波士顿郊区的大学 并永远的辍学
leave a college in the suburbs of Boston and go on an endless leave of absence.
(笑声) 当时的我相信计算机和软件的魔力
(Laughter). I believed that the magic of computers and
能够赋予全世界人民以力量 并能够让这个世界变得更加美好
software would empower people everywhere and make the world much, much better.
从那时算起 已有40年之久 我和梅琳达结婚也有20年 了
It’s been 40 years since then, and 20 years since Melinda and I were married. We are both
这些年间 我们都比过去更为乐观 但是在这些人生之旅中 我们的乐观也实现了进化
more optimistic now than ever. But on our journey, our optimism evolved.
我们今天很想与大家分享我们所学到的一切 并和你们聊聊
We would like to tell you what we learned and talk to you today about how your optimism
我们的和你们的乐观精神怎样为更多的人服务 当初和保罗创立微软之时
and ours can do more for more people. When Paul Allen and I started Microsoft, we
我们的目标是把计算机和软件的力量普及到 大众 这便是我们当时的说法
wanted to bring the power of computers and software to the people, and that was the kind
在早期的一本书上的封面有一个上扬的拳头
of rhetoric we used. One of the pioneering books in the field had a raised fist on the
他们称之为《计算机解放》 那个时候 只有大企业才能买计算机
cover, and it was called “Computer Lib.” At that time, only big businesses could buy computers.
我们想让这种计算机设备普及到社会大众并让计算机民主化
We wanted to offer the same power to regular people and democratize computing.
在上个世纪90年代 我们目睹了个人电脑对人们的巨大效用 但是这种成功同时造成了
By the 1990s, we saw how profoundly personal computers could empower people, but that success created
新的困局 如果富人的孩子拥有计算机而穷人的孩子却不能 这种科技会
a new dilemma. If rich kids got computers and poor kids didn’t, then technology would
加剧不平等 而这与我们的核心理念相抵触 科技应当惠及万众
make inequality worse. That ran counter to our core belief. Technology should benefit
因此我们应当努力缩小这种差距
everyone. So we worked to close the digital divide.
我将它定位为微软的首要任务 也是我和梅琳达在建立基金会之初的首要任务
I made it a priority at Microsoft, and Melinda and I made it an early priority at our Foundation.
为公众图书馆捐献个人电脑从而确保人人都能有机会使用
Donating personal computers to public libraries to make sure that everyone had access.
1997年首次出访南非时 我便开始关注“数码鸿沟”
The digital divide was a focus of mine in 1997, when I took my first trip to South Africa.
因公事出差的我将大部分时间都花费在约翰内斯堡的市区开会中
I went there on business so I spent most of my time in meetings in downtown Johannesburg.
当时我住在南非最富裕的一户家庭中
I stayed in the home of one of the richest families in South Africa. It had only been
那时距离尼尔森•曼德拉上台并结束种族隔离只有3年
three years since the election of Nelson Mandela marked the end of apartheid.
当我同主人共进晚餐时 他们使用铃铛来使唤管家
When I sat down for dinner with my hosts, they used a bell to call the butler. After
在晚饭后 男女相互分开而男人们开始抽雪茄 当时我想 幸好
dinner, the women and men separated and the men smoked cigars. I thought, good thing I
我读过简•奥斯汀的书否则我就不知道发生了什么
read Jane Austen, or I wouldn’t have known what was going on.
(笑声) 但在第二天我去了索韦托
(Laughter). But the next day I went to Soweto, the poor
约翰内斯堡西南的一个贫穷小镇 那里曾经是反种族隔离的中心
township southwest of Johannesburg, that had been the center of the anti-apartheid movement.
从约翰内斯堡到索韦托路程不长 但从进入索韦托的那一刻起
It was a short distance from the city into the township, but the entry was sudden, jarring
一切都令人无比震惊 我觉得我来到了一个和我所来自的地方截然不同的世界
and harsh. I passed into a world completely unlike the
索韦托之行让我很早便意识到自己竟是如此天真
one I came from. My visit to Soweto became an early lesson in how naive I was. Microsoft
微软向那里的一个社区中心捐赠计算机和软件 和我们在美国所做的一切相同
was donating computers and software to a community center there. The kind of thing we did in
但是我很快明白了 这里并不是美国
the United States. But it became clear to me, very quickly, that this was not the United
我曾经阅览过有关贫穷的调查数据 但是却未曾目睹过贫穷。
States. I had seen statistics on poverty, but I had never really seen poverty.
那里的人们住在用铁皮搭成的简陋棚户里 没有电 没有自来水 也没有厕所
The people there lived in corrugated tin shacks with no electricity, no water, no toilets.
人们几乎不穿鞋 赤脚行走 或者可以说根本没有街道
Most people didn’t wear shoes. They walked barefoot along the streets, except there were
只是一些坑洼的泥土路 由于社区中心没有持续供电的设施
no streets, just ruts in the mud. The community center had no consistent source
所以他们安装了一根延长线连接到200英尺以外的柴油发电机上
of power. So they rigged up an extension cord that ran 200 feet from the center to the diesel
看过了这些装置 我明白了一旦记者离开后
generator outside. Looking at this setup, I knew the minute the reporters left, the
发电机将会被运用到更紧迫的任务上 使用社区中心的人们
generator would get moved to a more urgent task. And the people who used the community
也会因此而离开 为电脑所不能解决的问题而担忧
center would go back to worrying about challenges that couldn’t be solved by a personal computer.
当我向媒体道出已准备好的发言时 我谈到索韦托的经历对我而言是一个里程碑
When I gave my prepared remarks to the press, I said Soweto is a milestone. There are major
我们所面临的重大决定是科技是否会让发展中国家落后
decisions ahead about whether technology will leave the developing world behind. This
这也便是要缩小差距 但当我说出这些词时 我发现他们并不是
is to close the gap. But as I read those words, I knew they weren’t
如此相关 我没有说的是 顺便说一下 我们并没有注意到一个事实
super relevant. What I didn’t say was, by the way, we’re not focused on the fact that
这个大洲上每年都会有50万人死于疟疾 但我们
half a million people on this continent are dying every year from malaria. But we are
还是万分确信我们会为他们带来计算机 在我去索韦托之前 我认为自己很理解
sure as hell going to bring you computers. Before I went to Soweto, I thought I understood
这个世界存在的问题 可那时我才明白我忽视了最重要的问题
the world’s problems but I was blind to many of the most important ones. I was so taken
我惊讶于自己所看到的东西 我不停问自己‘你还认为创新
aback by what I saw that I had to ask myself, did I still believe that innovation could
能解决世界上最棘手的问题吗?我向自己保证 在重回非洲之前
solve the world’s toughest problems? I promised myself that before I came back to Africa,
会找到更多让人们贫穷的原因
I would find out more about what keeps people poor.
数年来 我和梅琳达确实发现了穷人们的当务之需
Over the years, Melinda and I did learn more about the pressing needs of the poor. On a
在后来一次到南非的时候 我去了一家住有很多抗药性肺结核患者和耐多药结核病患者的医院
later trip to South Africa, I paid a visit to a hospital for patients with MDR-TB, multi-drug
这是一种治愈率不到50%的顽疾 我记得
resistant tuberculosis, a disease with a cure rate of under 50%. I remember that hospital
那个充满绝望的地方 在一个巨大的开放性病房里 住着很多很多病人 他们穿着睡衣
as a place of despair. It was a giant open ward, with a sea of patients shuffling around
带着口罩 慢慢挪动着 有一层楼是专为孩童开设的 其中包括还在卧床的婴儿们
in pajamas, wearing masks. There was one floor just for children, including some babies lying
医院中也为适龄儿童设有小学校
in bed. They had a little school for kids who were
但是大多数孩子都无法战胜病魔踏入学堂 医院似乎并不确信
well enough to learn, but many of the children couldn’t make it, and the hospital didn’t
是否有必要开设这所学校
seem to know whether it was worth it to keep the school open.
我同一位30多岁的病人做了交谈 她曾是肺结核医院的一名职工
I talked to a patient there in her early 30s. She had been a worker at a TB hospital when
因为咳嗽而病倒 她去看医生 医生告诉她患上了耐药性结核病
she came down with a cough. She went to a doctor and he told her said she had drug-resistant
后来又被诊断患有艾滋 她活不了多久了
TB. She was later diagnosed with AIDS. She wasn’t going to live much longer,
但有很多耐多药结核病患者等待着她即将空出的床位
but there were plenty of MDR patients waiting to take her bed when she vacated it. This
这是一个 候场病人的地狱 但是目睹了这个地狱并没有减少我的乐观心态
was hell with a waiting list. But seeing this hell didn’t reduce my optimism. It channeled
相反 它指导着乐观的前行 在我们离开时
it. I got into the car as I left and I told the
我 跟与我们同行的医生说 我虽然知道耐多药结核病是一种顽疾 但我们必须为这些人做一些实事
doctor we were working with I know MDR-TB is hard to cure, but we must do something
实际上 在今年 我们进入了新结核药物研发的第三阶段
for these people. And, in fact, this year, we are entering phase three with the new TB
对于那些病人而言 他们不再 为18个月50%的治愈率而花费2000美元
drug regime for patients who respond, instead of a 50% cure rate after 18 months for $2,000,
我们的新药物花费不超100美元便能在6个月后实现80%的治愈率。
we get an 80% cure rate after six months for under $100.
(掌声)乐观常被视为错误的希望
(Applause). Optimism is often dismissed as false hope.
但是也有错误的无望 那就是我们无法击败贫困和疾病的态度
But there is also false hopelessness. That’s the attitude that says we can’t defeat poverty
但我们却能够做到 梅林达 盖茨:在比尔去过结核病医院后 他曾给我致电
and disease. We absolutely can. >> MELINDA GATES: Bill called me that day
惯例上当我们其中一个出国的话
after he visited the TB hospital and normally if one of us is on an international trip,
我们都会聊聊这天我们遇到的人和我们去过的地方
we will go through our agenda for the day and who we met and where we have been. But
但是这番电话有些特别 比尔说 梅琳达 我 去了
this call was different. Bill said to me, Melinda, I have been somewhere that I have
一个我之前从未去过的地方 然后他哽咽地说不出话了 他最后只是说
never been before. And then he choked up and he couldn’t go on. And he finally just said,
等我回来了再详细告诉你 我知道他经历了什么 因为
I will tell you more when I get home. And I knew what he was going through because
当你看到濒临绝望的人们 它会让你十分悲痛 但是如果你想做得更多
when you see people with so little hope, it breaks your heart. But if you want to do the
你必须要看到最坏的情况 我也经历过那些日子
most, you have to go see the worst, and I’ve had days like that too.
大概十年前 我和一群朋友去印度旅游 在我临走的那一天
About ten years ago, I traveled with a group of friends to India. And on last day I was
我和一群妓女进行了交谈 我希望跟她们讲她们所面对得艾滋病的风险
there, I had a meeting with a group of prostitutes and I expected to talk to them about the risk
但是她们想跟我聊的只是耻辱
of AIDS that they were facing, but what they wanted to talk to me about was stigma.
这当中的很多人都是被她们的丈夫所抛弃 这就是为什么她们去卖淫
Many of these women had been abandoned by their husbands. That’s why they even went
她们想养活自己的孩子 他们在社会的眼中是如此卑微
into prostitution. They wanted to be able to feed their children. They were so low in
以致于她们可以被任何人甚至是警察强奸 抢劫,甚至挨揍
the eyes of society that they could be raped and robbed and beaten by anyone, even the
根本没有人会在意 聊起她们的生活让我感触至深
police, and nobody cared. Talking to them about their lives was so moving
但是我印象最深的就是她们多么想接触他人 她们希望
to me, but what I remember most was how much they wanted to be touched. They wanted to
触摸我 也希望让我能去触碰她们 也许是通过这种身体上的触碰证明了她们存在的价值
touch me and to be touched by them. It was if physical contact somehow proved their worth.
所以当我离开之前 我们肩并肩 手牵手 一起照了相
And so before I left, we linked arms hand in hand and did a photo together.
后来那天 我去了印度的一个弥留者的家中 我走进
Later that same day, I spent some time in India in a home for the dying. I walked into
大厅 看见一排排的床 除了远在角落的一张床,每张床都有人在照顾
a large hall and I saw rows and rows of cot and every cot was attended to except for one,
所以我决定过去看看 这位病人是一个30岁左右的妇女
that was far off in the corner. And so I decided to go over there. The patient who was in this
我还记得她的眼睛的样子 她有着大而悲伤的棕色的眼睛
room was a woman in her 30s. And I remember her eyes. She had these huge, brown, sorrowful
当时的她如此憔悴并且徘徊在死亡的边缘 她的肠道里什么东西也盛不下
eyes. She was emaciated and on the verge of death. Her intestines were not holding anything
所以那里的工作人员就在她的床下放了一个盆然后在床的底部开了个洞
and so the workers had they put a pan under her bed, and cut a hole in the bottom of the
这样一切东西就能倾泻到那个盘子中
bed and everything in her was just pouring out into that pan.
我看得出她得了艾滋病 不仅可以从她的外表 而且也可以从她独自在这个角落中看出来
And I could tell that she had AIDS. Both in the way she looked and the fact that she was
得艾滋病令人声名狼藉 特别是对女性
off in this corner alone. The stigma of AIDS is vicious, especially for women. And the
得病的惩罚就是被抛弃 当我走进她床边时,我突然感觉
punishment is abandonment. When I arrived at her cot, I suddenly felt
彻底的无力和无助感 我无能为力实施帮助 我知道
completely and totally helpless. I had absolutely nothing I could offer this woman. I knew I
我不能救活她 但是我不想让她独自一人 所以我跪下来然后伸出手
couldn’t save her. But I didn’t want her to be alone. So I knelt down with her and I put
她摸到我的手后就抓住 不松开
my hand out and she reached for my hand and grabbed it and she wouldn’t let it go. I didn’t
我不会说她们的语言而且我也不知道我能对她说什么 最后我只是对她说
speak her language and I couldn’t think of what I should say to her. And finally I just
一切都会好起来的 一切都会好起来的 这不是你的错
said to her, it’s going to be okay. It’s going to be okay. It’s not your
在我陪着她待了一会之后
fault. And after I had been with her for sometime,
她的手指向了屋顶 很显然她很想上屋顶 而我发现
she started pointing to the roof top. She clearly wanted to go up and I realized the
太阳快要落山了 所以她想做的就是等上屋顶并且看日落
sun was going down and what she wanted to do was go up on the roof top and see the sunset.
那时房子里的工作人员非常忙碌 然后我对他们说
So the workers in this home for the dying were very busy and I said to them,
我们能不能把她抬到屋顶上?不行 我们现在必须要分派药物
you know, can we take her up on the roof top? No. No. We have to pass out medicines.
所以我就等着他们分派药物 然后我又问了另外的工作人员 他们说不行
So I waited that for that to happen and I asked another worker and they said, No no
我们太忙了 我们不能抬她上去 所以最后我就把她抱在了怀中
no, we are too busy. We can’t get her up there. And so finally I just scooped this woman up
她不过是骨瘦如柴 我就抱着她上了屋顶
in my arms. She was nothing more than skin over bones and I took her up on the roof top,
我找到了一把塑料椅 微风吹拂着 我把她放在椅子上
and I found one of those plastic chairs that blows over in a light breeze. I put her there,
让她坐下来 拿一个毛毯盖住她的腿
sat her down, put a blanket over her legs
然后她就坐在那里望向西边 看着日落 工作人员知道她在屋顶上 我确保
and she sat there facing to the west, watching the sunset. The workers knew — I made sure
他们知道并且会在日落以后把她带下来
they knew that she was up there so that they would bring her down later that evening after
而不久后我就要离开 但是她从未离开过我
the sun went down and then I had to leave. But she never left me.
当面对这位妇女的死亡时我彻底地感到无能为力 但是有时
I felt completely and totally inadequate in the face of this woman’s death. But sometimes,
就正是这些你不能帮助的人群给了你最大的激励 我知道早上我碰到的那些性工作者
it’s the people that you can’t help that inspire you the most. I knew that those sex workers
将来可能就会是那天夜晚我抱上屋顶妇女的样子
I had met in the morning could be the woman that I carried upstairs later that evening.
除非我们找到一个方法来对抗这个羁绊她们一生的耻辱
Unless Also we found a way to defy the stigma that hung over their lives.
过去的十年中 我们的基金已经帮助性工作者建立了支持小组
Over the past ten years, our Foundation has helped sex workers build support groups so
那样她们可以互相协助 要求安全的的性行为 让客户
they could empower one another to speak up and demand safe sex and that their clients
使用安全套 他们勇敢的努力保持了性工作者的低HIV感染率
use condoms. Their brave efforts have helped to keep HIV
并且很多研究表明这就是为什么
prevalence low among sex workers and a lot of studies show that’s the big reason why
印度没有大范围地爆发艾滋病的一个重要原因 如果这些性工作者一起帮助
the AIDS epidemic has not exploded in India. When these sex workers gathered together to
阻止艾滋病的传播 就会发生意想不到的好事
help stop AIDS transmission, something unexpected and wonderful happened. The community they
她们形成的这个社区成为了一个任何事的平台 警察和其他任何强奸或者抢劫她们的人都不可能
formed became a platform for everything. Police and others who raped and robbed them couldn’t
无法无天 妇女们组建起了互相鼓励储蓄财产的系统
get away with it anymore. The women set up systems to encourage savings for one another
这样有了足够的储蓄 她们就可以离开性服务行业
and with those savings, they were able to leave sex work.
这就是那些在社会上被视作底层中的最下等人做的事情 乐观 对我而言
This was all done by people that society considered the lowest of the low. Optimism, for me, is
并非消极地期待事情会变好
not a passive expectation that things are going to get better. For me, it’s a conviction
而是一种信念去相信我们能把事情变好 因此不管我们目睹了怎样的痛苦
and a belief that we can make things better. So no matter how much suffering we see, no
不管事态如何糟糕 如果我们没有失去希望 不转头而去 那么我们便能
matter how bad it is, we can help people if we don’t lose hope help and if we don’t look
伸出援手(掌声)
away. (Applause).
比尔盖茨:我和梅琳达已经描述了几个最为悲惨的画面 但是我们还是要尽量
>> BILL GATES: Melinda and I have described some devastating scenes, but we want to make
强调乐观的力量 即使是在绝境之中 乐观
the strongest case we can for the power of optimism. Even in dire situations, optimism
也会加速创新 产生新的避免痛苦的方法
fuels innovation and leads to new approaches that eliminate suffering.
但是如果你从未看过那些痛苦折磨着的人时 你的乐观也将无能为力
But if you never really see the people that are suffering, your optimism can’t help them.
你也将不会改变他们的世界 这让我想到了我眼中的一个悖论
You will never change their world. And that brings me to what I see is a paradox.
现代社会拥有无与伦比的创新精神 而斯坦福大学正处在 核心
The modern world is an incredible source of innovation and Stanford stands at the center
斯坦福孕育了许许多多的新公司 有思想的学校 硕果累累的教授 富有灵感的
of that, creating new companies, new schools of thought, prize-winning professors, inspired
艺术文化 创新的软件 药品 还有优秀的毕业生
art and literature, miracle drugs, and amazing graduates.
无论你是收获新发现的科学家 还是在深沟中了解
Whether you are a scientist with a new discovery, or working in the trenches to understand the
社会最边缘人的需求 你都在为人类相互间的协作做出惊人的突破
needs of the most marginalized, you are advancing amazing breakthroughs in what human beings
同时 如果你问全美国的人
can do for each other. At the same time, if you ask people across
未来会比过去更好吗?大部分人会说不 我的孩子
the United States is the future going to be better than the past, most say no. My kids
不如我优秀 他们认为创新不会让自己或孩子的世界更好
will be worse off than I am. They think innovation won’t make the world better for them or their
那么谁是对的?是那些说创新产生新机遇
children. So who is right? The people who say innovation will create new possibilities
让世界更好的人么?还是那些目睹不平衡的趋势 目睹机遇减少
and make the world better? Or the people who see a trend toward inequality and a decline
且不指望创新带来改变的人呢?
in opportunity and don’t think innovation will change that?
在我看来 悲观者是错误的 但是他们并不疯狂 如果创新
The pessimists are wrong, in my view. But they are not crazy. If innovation is purely
仅凭市场驱动 我们都不关注不公正现象 那么我们的重大发明
market driven, and we don’t focus on the big inequities, then we could have amazing advances
将令世界的两极分化更加严重 我们不会改善
and in inventions that leave the world even more divided. We won’t improve cure
公立学校 我们不会治愈疟疾 更不会终止贫穷 我们不会研发
public schools, we won’t cure malaria, we won’t end poverty. We won’t develop the
让贫困农民在气候变化中也能种出植物的发明
innovations poor farmers need to grow food in a changing climate.
如果我们的乐观无法用来解决那些影响许许多多同胞的问题
If our optimism doesn’t address the problems that affect so many of our fellow human beings,
那么这种乐观主义还需要融入更多的移情元素 如果我们能在乐观中融入同情 我们就能解决贫困
then our optimism needs more empathy. If empathy channels our optimism, we will see the poverty
疾病以及教育匮乏的问题 我们会以创新作答 并震惊
and the disease and the poor schools. We will answer with our innovations and we will surprise
那些悲观主义者 在下一代中 你们 这些斯坦福毕业生
the pessimists. Over the next generation, you, Stanford graduates,
将开启一波创新的新潮 你们 决定解决哪些问题呢?如果
will lead a new wave of innovation. Which problems will you decide to solve? If your
你的世界很宽 那么就能创造出我们理想的未来 如果你的世界很狭隘
world is wide, you can create the future we all want. If your world is narrow, you may
就会造出悲观者恐惧的未来 正如我在索维托所学到的 如果
create the future the pessimists fear. I started learning in Soweto, that if
我们要让自己的乐观影响所有人 并赋予他们力量 我们
we are going to make our optimism matter to everyone, and empower people everyone, we
就要看到他们最紧迫的需求 如果我们的乐观没有融入同情
have to see the lives of those most in need. If we have optimism, without empathy,
那么我们掌握多少科学秘密也没有任何用处 实际上我们并没有解决问题
then it doesn’t matter how much we master the secrets of science. We are not really
我们只是在玩智力游戏罢了 我想 你们中的大多数人
solving problems. We are just working on puzzles. I think most of you have a broader world view
比当时的我视野更宽广 你们会比曾经的我做得更出色 如果你们全身心地投身于此
than I had at your age. You can do better at this than I did. If you put your hearts
你们便能震惊那些悲观者 我们对之迫不及待
and minds to it, you can surprise the pessimists. We are eager to see it.
(掌声)梅琳达•盖茨:让你们的心为之而碎
(Applause). >> MELINDA GATES: So let your heart break.
这会改变你们处理乐观的方式 在去南亚的旅行中 我遇见了一位
It will change what you do with your optimism. On a trip to south Asia, I met a desperately
贫困潦倒的印度妇女 育有两子 她后来乞求我让我把这两个孩子带走
poor Indian woman. \u00a0She had two children and she begged me to take them home with me.
当我祈求她原谅时 她说 那好吧 请至少带走一个也可以吧
And when I begged her for her forgiveness she said, well then, please, just take one
在另一个去洛杉矶南部的旅途中 我遇见
of them. On another trip to south Los Angeles, I met
了一群来自贫困社区的学生 一个年轻女孩对我说
with a group of the students from a tough neighborhood. A young girl said to me, do
你会不会觉得我们这些孩子的父母逃避责任
you ever feel like we are the kids’ whose parents shirked their responsibilities and
我们是留守儿童呢?这些女性让我心碎 而她们现在依然
we are just the leftovers? These women broke my heart. And they still
让我心碎 当我对自己承认 我也可能会是她们中的一员
do. And the empathy intensifies if I admit to myself, that could be me.
我与旅途中的母亲交流时发现 我们想给予孩子的没有什么不同
When I talk with the mothers I meet during my travels, there’s no difference between
唯一的不同在于我们将其给予孩子的能力
what we want for our children. The only difference is our ability to provide it to our children.
那么差距何在呢?我和比尔曾就此问题与我们的孩子
So what \u00a0accounts for that difference? Bill and I talk about this with our own kids
在餐桌上共同讨论 比尔工作非常努力 他冒过风险 为成功做出不少牺牲
around the dinner table. Bill worked incredibly hard and he took risks and he made sacrifices
但是还有一个成功的重要因素 那便是运气
for success. But there’s another essential ingredient of success, and that is luck. Absolute
完完全全的运气 你出生何处?你的父母是谁?
and total luck. When were you born? Who are your parents?
你在哪里成长?没有任何人赚得这些东西 我们只是被赐予了这些东西而已
Where did you grow up? None of us earn these things. These things were given to us. So
所以当我们剥去运气和优待 并思考没有它们 我们会将如何时
when we strip away all of our luck and our privilege and we consider where we would be
我们就更容易看到那些贫困者 并说 这可能就是我
without them, it becomes someone much easier to see someone who is poor and say, that could
这就是同情心 同情心抹平障碍 为乐观敞开新的大门
be me. And that’s empathy. Empathy tears down barriers and it opens up whole new frontiers
所以这就是我们对你们所有人的呼吁 在你离开
for optimism. So here is our appeal to you all. As you leave
斯坦福校园之后 带着你的天分 乐观以及同情心 改变这个世界
Stanford, take all your genius and your optimism and your empathy, and go change the world
让数百万人为之乐观起来
in ways that will make millions of people optimistic.
你无须急功近利 你还要开创事业 付清债款 找寻另一半
You don’t have to rush. You have careers to launch and debts to pay and spouses to meet
并喜结良缘 现在就这些便足够了 但是在你们的生命之中 可能
and marry. That’s plenty enough for right now. But in the course of your lives, perhaps
你们并未计划过 你会目睹那些让你心碎的苦楚
without any plan on your part, you will see suffering that’s going to break your heart.
当这些痛苦发生时 不要掩面离开 在这一刻 改变因此而孕育
And when it happens, don’t turn away from it. That’s the moment that change is born.
向2014届毕业生表示祝贺 并祝你们好运!
Congratulations and good luck to the class of 2014!
(欢呼和掌声)
(Cheers and Applause).

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

面临痛苦时我们须怀有一颗同情心 并力所能及的帮助 当我们抛掉我们的运气 我们就能体会世界上的苦难 别离开 去关怀吧

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

fancyzeng

审核员

joker

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wug9n5Atk8c

相关推荐